04/20/24 at 00:30:03 

Poll
Question: solid core vs stranded, cloth or not

yes
no

« Created by: jeffiam on: 05/31/15 at 21:45:53 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Belden 8402 Microphone Cable (Read 154959 times)
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Re: Belden 8402 Microphone Cable
Reply #100 - 06/08/15 at 00:59:46

Hey everyone,

I replaced the crossover leads on my OBs with the WE 16ga wire on Saturday morning.  The outgoing wire looked like 14-16ga stranded copper, so no drastic changes in construction.  However, I've already been very impressed with the changes I'm hearing.  It seems to bring more body and richer tone to the table, making the previous leads sound lean and tonally inferior by comparison.  Detail is the same.  This wire doesn't seem to overdo anything, and yet doesn't seem to lack anything.  We'll see how it settles in but I doubt it will regress in any way.  I loathe the term "musical" but what can I say, I wouldn't knock anyone who describes this product as such.  Even at $1.39 per foot, I think this is great value.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #101 - 06/08/15 at 17:06:23

Rob, did you run them parallel, or give them any twist?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #102 - 06/08/15 at 17:34:17

I ran them parallel at first, but ended up putting 25 twists in each 5ft pair.  I don't know if this is too many or not enough.  I researched twisting benefits and techniques prior to doing this and didn't find a good resource, except one AVS thread that basically said there's no reason to do it. (actually I find it difficult to find any AVS thread that supports anything we audiophiles typically do)  At least some twists would tidy up things behind the speakers.  In the end I did hear something but am hesitant to stick my neck out and explain it, but if I had to I'd say increased focus.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 06/08/15 at 18:44:41

I'm busy right now but wanted to give you folks an FYI.  I sent an email to the seller of the WE 16g wire when I found I couldn't buy it because the seller was on vacation.  As it turns out it's a father son operation with the father the boss...an ex-employee of Western Electric of 32 years.  The son is answering emails and taking orders but not filling them.  In other words, if you email and tell him what listing you want to buy, he'll reserve it for you.  I wanted a 128 foot coil of black WE 16g wire...the 129 foot coil I really wanted sold before I decided.  So if you know what you want...I'd place an order...if you change your mind, I guess it isn't really a binding buy so you could back out.

In my main listening system I've changed to a pair of  Virtue Audio Nirvana speaker cables that seem pretty good...I think the Nanotecs may have the edge though.  Both pairs are better than the Zu Audio libtecs they replaced.  Mark.

PS....I just sent another email to reserve a 19 foot coil of the RED...so I can make one set of speaker cables with the one Red & Black for each speaker.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #104 - 06/08/15 at 22:36:42

Quote:
(actually I find it difficult to find any AVS thread that supports anything we audiophiles typically do)

There is so much truth in that. I almost got thrown out of a thread for suggesting flash drive sounded better than a spinning disc in my Oppo Blu-Ray player. I wrote Oppo with my findings and they absolutely agreed with me and said it was all about jitter (which you know that I knew already since I'm always preaching it).

After posting my E-mail from Oppo, suddenly everyone in the thread ignored me.

I've had other forums say that Paul from PS Audio should be jailed for the snake oil he's peddling - and we'd be burned at the stake for our findings when we tested the two digital cables at Palo's house.

But then, I'm not a fan or believer of little pillows in corners as bass traps, nor magic stones that you place in your room or around your cables. Other forums at that end of the spectrum and they scare me as well.

At least here at Decware, when someone proclaims something, we listen and nod in appreciation of their findings - and maybe see if we can replicate it ourselves and/or research it more.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
jeffiam
Verified Member

Reply #105 - 06/09/15 at 02:26:14

Has anyone tried these cables or lower gauge as power cords? looks others have tried it.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #106 - 06/09/15 at 03:10:25

Quote:
But then, I'm not a fan or believer of little pillows in corners as bass traps, nor magic stones that you place in your room or around your cables. Other forums at that end of the spectrum and they scare me as well.

I still need to run some A/B with my Roomtunes "pillows".  I know you loathe them Eric Wink I installed them and noticed a lot less boom after testing one track, but haven't played with them since.

Speaking of bass, has anyone else noticed impacts to bass after twisting the WE wire?  My bass was so visceral this afternoon.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 06/09/15 at 12:04:39

I did not get a pickup in bass.  It started out soft for me, but then tightened up over time.  

Play cosmic hippo and let me know how the bass in that song sounds.  Maybe you'll still have a little memory of how it sounded on my system.

Of course you know I am seeking out other cables trying to get that sound from your coax (at a little lower price).

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 06/09/15 at 17:13:23

I burned in #16 WE wire (red outer "cotton" and white insulation) 190 hours in my workroom system. Then I put silver solder on the ends to make them easier to handle and protect the tinned copper strands. I had 8 wires, 2 -10' pieces/connection (2 x 16 = 13 gauge) for burnin.

I have been trying things in my main system for a week off and on with no ultimate conclusions yet, so have not commented. But there are questions in areas I have explored so maybe some feedback...My references are Synergistic Research Element Copper with UEF tuning bullets, Torii MKIV to HR-1s. This system is tuned with EQ, balancing what room treatments don't fully address, so the frequency balance is quite good... Since the bass is not over-saturating the sound, the differences in bass presentation from cables are pretty obvious.

With large single wires I have experienced distortions and smearing attributed to “skin effect” and interference, so came to appreciate an equal gauge made up of smaller wires, usually twisted, both contributing to cleaning up cable sound. As to ultimate size, it seems dependent on the metals used, insulation, wire length, geometry, connections...lots of things. Also, how much do speaker efficiency and impedance (4 ohm is twice as resistant as 8 ohm), and amp power play into optimal wire size? Since these can add up to big variables...“one size fits all” for ultimate sound seems unlikely.

I began with one WE wire per connection. Compared to the SR cables I lost signal...quieter from top to bottom, though the sound was nice...warm but open, friendly... comparatively, there was some midrange emphasis, sometimes revealed as hardness, clearest with loud horn parts. Being leaner, I missed bass power and tonal density. The HR-1s really start to sing with stronger power/signal. Also, to a point, the denser signal makes low volumes sound more complete.

Adding the other WE wire, now two per connection, the attenuation was not particularly noticeable...denser tonal delivery, more dynamic sound with deeper bass, more midrange power, increased upper mid/high presence...

Compared to the SRs the untwisted double WEs were still a little dark and undefined, especially low down, and still a little too much midrange emphasis for me; I suspected this was due in part to another issue, less fine detail to round out the edges; also less “black” emptiness, for sound to come out of. But the SRs went through loads of exploration using state of the art materials and tech, and the sound and price reflect that.

I twisted the WE for each connection pretty tightly...55 for the 10 foot run. Clarified across the spectrum, it was articulate and dynamic, but the midrange being clearer, partly from increased bass articulation reducing masking...there was too much mid edge for me, again hard to listen to some dynamic horn parts played loud.

So I took out about half the twists, now 24. This softened/warmed things nicely. Compared to no twists I hear a more open feeling, increased differentiation of instruments, more feeling of dynamics, and the bass/low mids are full with nice definition...also more fine detail.  

It seems these cables are a bit less about “transparency,” than atmosphere. Though portraying instruments quite nicely, aspects of detail, particularly fine detail, empty space, dynamic contrasts, and bass power/definition are the primary areas they don't come up to the SRs. But their interestingly revealing, sort of unique window into the music remains compelling.

The SRs sound warm and rich without a sense of a bass/low mid darkness, or any speed or detail sacrifice. Powerful bass, sweet mids, exceptional layered detail, differentiation throughout, and authentic timbre...They just seem to let it all through...no cable. I have not heard revelation/transparency to this level before...so an unfair comparator, but also a great objective.

That said, the WE share tonal similarities with the SR, nice definition, a bit warm, musical and revealing. I keep “reaching for” micro detail, but they are still revealing.

Then the synergy thing. Pal and Syd both seem to have great affection and no reservations, single wires clearly being very satisfying in their systems.

Not as easy for me the way my system and room are, but that “air of mystery” Syd described, I agree, they do reveal a lot of what is tucked away in the recording, pulling us into the musical event. The soundstage here is defined enough while having a slightly dreamy atmosphere from how the space between and ambience is revealed.

The tendency to mids being a little rigid, in part from missing textures from fine detail, are what I am working on. Since the twists seem good, I kept thinking, add some silver.

I had some 16 gauge teflon wire for a power cable....cryo'd silver plated stranded copper. I twisted one of these into each cable run, now 3 – 16s, or 11.2 gauge per connection. It is hard to say how this will end up, this wire being new. I found them bright and stiff at first, but with about 20 hours, they are warming/smoothing up. And I don't think teflon is that easy to burn in so imagine more smoothing and complexity to come.

Everything was brought closer to the SRs, further increased tonal density, better textures, more complete space, ambience and soundstage definition... and all else that comes with increased black, detail and detail complexity.  Interestingly, after some burnin, as I compare this configuration, they feel louder than the 2 WEs alone, more spacious and empty, with more dynamics. They are still slower and less quiet than the SRs, but quite good. The silver theory seemed to work, but I wonder too if it has something to do with another wire twisted in, a cleaner signal..... All these things point to less cable attenuation also. There is less hardness though still a little hard/rigid for my tastes. Just a little. I suspect this might smooth with more burnin on the silver/copper but can't say for sure yet.

I wonder about maybe a smaller silver on copper wire, or a length of small gauge pure/soft silver wire and extra sized teflon tubing for insulation with air. With 2 WE, I imagine this could really be good. Maybe even 3 WE 16s would be good.

Still exploring, no solutions, I put back in the SRs and feel some relief. Amazing cables here. I am not done with the WEs though. I think these wires have quite compelling traits, and for me, are worth digging in and exploring more.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 06/09/15 at 18:32:22

Thanks for the detailed comments Will.  

Your note about atmosphere seems most aligned with my thoughts.  I know and have heard more detail, but at a loss of some of that atmosphere.

Where are the SR's in the cost spectrum?  Usually their stuff is not inexpensive.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 06/09/15 at 19:23:46

Thanks Will, thats quite a run through and I`d have put the SR`s back in for a reality check and well earned rest . Back to base and an exceptional cable by the sound of it. It`s good to have a yardstick to  measure by.
I didn`t want to experiment further but will add 10 twists each to my 3ft pair this evening. Just strapping them together tightened the sound up so adding some twists wont hurt and may be discernable.
As you say there are many variables and I suspect if I tried the SR`s there`d be a lift in every dept.
It`s kinda funny, you mention horn accentuation. Yes I know what you hear. Now...I put that down to bite or attack and with the bite, quicker projection. It reaches the ears a little quicker from where the horn, or cymbal clash is on the sounstage. I dont know if thats good, more natural or something else.
Bass , pretty much album dependent. I have been getting very strong bass.
lol, I`m terrible, I`ll argue black is white.  Suffice to say the bass and horn observations are as I say and as you sum up they are intriguing.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 06/10/15 at 00:55:58

I have the WE with the silver on copper back in and am enjoying the sound. I need to see what happens once the teflon wire burns in. Also, I think I will order some smaller gauge silver. I think this revealing thing that can be a little hard might be an important part of the sound we like with these wires...and if the theory works, I hope more complex detail to feather those edges will bring things into a new level.

In direct comparison, these WE with silver/copper are more detailed than without the silver, but all else the same, still a little hard, warm, dense, and veiled for me. This is part of why I want to try some smaller, very soft pure silver, hopefully giving more complexity while retaining the WE vibe and opening these cables a touch due to less total AWG.

I could adjust around this with EQ, tubes, feet, etc, but it is nice to explore with the SR reference (though somewhat arbitrary), not adjusting much before the cables. And I can keep standard settings while opening these up with gain tuning, a bit less CSP3 in the blend, now that I am just listening. Sounds good!

My concerns posted above are clearly based on what I have come to need from my system/room, the same "issues" potentially being beneficial elsewhere. I liked the Morrow SP6 in part because they were not as bassy as some others...a system tuning tool...like less detail could be a good fine-tuning tool.

So far, I find that no cable is equal to any others though. And the quality of traits is massive in the equation, more so that how much of the traits they give us, be it detail, richness, bass...whatever. Also, my system/room has been tuned so long for "revealing transparency" that well done complex detail is beautiful.

Palomino.... The SR Element Copper come with 3 "Enigma" tuning bullets, the cables and tuning circuits now old news. Their new line is out, so these are less expensive now, the improved version being big bucks new...3500. I can't remember what mine were new, but I think over 2K. While auditioning these used ones, the seller sent along some UEFs, newer tuning circuits than Enigmas, saying they were an upgrade I would very likely like. And I did. The cable company has some demos like mine for 1100 and another 150 for the UEF bullets. Mine were considerably less, but you get the picture...

And these WE based cables have me wondering...can I make them comparable? Can't do the SR active shield and tuning bullets inexpensively, even if I could figure it out. And I have no doubt this is a big factor of the sophisticated SR sound...especially how their deep quiet makes everything so transparent. And adding some kickass bananas like the SRs would cost...and a run of silver wire in "air", that would cost...some nice covering and heat shrink to finish the cables...more expense. It would add up. But now that I am sucked into the exploration, I want to know how far I can take these! Stepping out from the super bargain of a single run #16 WE, no doubt, but it may well be a different level of a bargain.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 06/10/15 at 03:44:53

So I got to wondering about solder sound. I cut it all off, re-stripped, and twisted. I think it made a difference...a little more revealing with a bit more texture, ambient info, shimmer, etc. It is hard to compare cables when there is work time to change something, but I think this is real Smiley

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #113 - 06/10/15 at 16:35:34

Hello Will,

I am glad to hear things have improved for you.  I am beginning to witness some of the "hardness" you speak of in my own configuration.  I do not know if I noticed this on my own, or because I read your report.  I suppose it doesn't matter.

Strangely enough, I have my four 5ft spans twisted as tightly as you had originally (55 twists over 10 ft), with 25 twists.  I also run sans solder.  I do not like this hardness very much; once noticed it becomes bothersome and artificial sounding, quite opposite of the sound I strive for.  I will reduce the twists when I get home tonight and listen to see how much it recedes.  As it is now, this sound is very reminiscent of what I hear when I place SV83 tubes in my amp over the 6P15P.  Needless to say, I'll never use the SV83s.

If I can soften the mids, I won't have gripes with this cable (especially for the price).  It may be inferior to very expensive cables such as the SR Element Copper, but compared to my stock crossover leads supplied by Rite Audio (fka My Audio Cables) this is a step towards my preferred sound: real timbre, tonal density, rich-but-not-bloated with no loss of fine detail.  The kind that is appealing emotionally and not intellectually.

I'll keep listening as the cable gets more hours and report back.  However, it seems the forum has well characterized this product already.

Rob

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 06/10/15 at 18:23:02

Will, I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but I made some speaker cables using dead soft pure silver in oversized Teflon jackets.   I followed this site: http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

The idea of using oversized Teflon is that it protects the wire while acting like air.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 06/10/15 at 21:59:59

Hey Rob,

With your short runs it would be pretty easy to explore different twists. I was happy enough with about 2.5/foot so did not try other arrangements. Could be cool to fine tune. I will explore more when I get time. As I listened more after cutting off the WBT silver solder, I am confident it is better....more fine detail and fluidity, and less dark density.

Archie, Yes, that is what I am talking about doing. Over-sized teflon and soft silver wire. For some reason the link did not work for me, but this one does.

www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 06/10/15 at 23:05:00

I got round to comparing my Townshend Isoldas to the WE`s this evening. One whole album and 5 tracks on different records.
The Isoldas come in around $800.00 2m and $1600.00 3m.
The Isoldas played the album and tracks first and the WE`s were swopped in after each take.
They are different.
Half way through the album the Isoldas warmed up and I forgot the WE`s. John Martyn and crew sounded great again, the way I remembered. A feature bass player and delicate interesting drums and other arty touches. Layers. Lovely.
WE`s would have a job.
Staight off there was more air to Martyns voice. Easy to notice. Cymbals sounded thinner but more metallic. Now it gets tricky. Bass was all there when you listened for it, same for drums, and when there was a pronounced wallop on the bass tom you could hear the timbre and air. Then the WE`s did their stuff. The music started coming from everywhere but was all seperated. It was like pop ups of detail, female harmony, drum rolls, then the bass does something, then theres a guitar drifting in and out. Not politely held together like the Isoldas and presented
Then a track by B. Evans. Nice and polite from the Isoldas. WE`s had the odd harmonic coming from the piano sustain that Isoldas didn`t pick up. Bill sounded livelier. Backing drums were both good but again the cymbals had more realistic tang on the WE`s. bass was good on both, the Isoldas more polite. The WE`s more gritty.
I thought I`d try some hard Coltrane and cued up side one of "Live at the Half Note"
The Isoldas again polite, and Coltrane sounded not as he should. The instruments drop out one by one and he goes int his `sheets of sound` for a long solo. The Isoldas made him sound not really up front enough. WE`s he was louder, more the right ring to his sax.
Then it occured to me what the WE`s were doing. They had removed a veil. Yes that old veil we thought we were all finished with.
All made sense.
More air to the voice, cymbals not so thick, more detail, Coltrane up front and searing.
Last up JJ cale. Cajun Moon. Isoldas lovely, very nice. WE`s just get into it more. More live more air.
The WE`s aren`t the last word in bass but the bass lays down a floor better so you get more atmosphere. Mind you JJ`s bass player is sounding pretty good. He must want me to take notice.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 06/11/15 at 00:39:40

Will, your link took me to mine.  I made speaker cables using 14ga 99.9% pur silver, dead soft.  I got the Teflon and shrink from McMaster Carr.  All said it was about $250 for the pair of 10 ft speaker cables.  I'm happy with them but I didn't do any A-B testing.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 06/11/15 at 00:45:31

Archie,
For some reason your link has a ftp:// in front of it when you click it.
I had the same problem as Will and noticed the error in the actual link called by the one posted.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 06/11/15 at 01:05:55

I must have done something wrong when I cut and pasted the link.  Thanks for pointing it out.  It's an interesting sight but his informaton about speaker wire doesn't jive with the experience of many here who are having great results from thinner gauges and multi-stranded wires.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 06/12/15 at 19:38:49

Always one to have a go when the price is right I just ordered 50ft of 30g .999 silver wire. Just got to find the cotton tubing at a good price.
Archies link and as Will thinks a touch of silver. I dont know where it`ll lead.
It`ll keep me out of mischief.... Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 06/12/15 at 22:16:43

Syd, According to what I've read you'd be better off using oversized teflon tubing instead of cotton but I don't know the effective difference.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 06/13/15 at 00:38:50

Archie, I read that the dialectric for teflon is 2.0 and cotton 1.3. Oversize teflon would be more air....the wire has more room, the room being air.
The cotton costs more than the silver wire !
Still dont know why I`m buying it but for £16 for 50ft it`s worth trying something.
i/c`s could back on the menu as well.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 06/15/15 at 03:48:29

Looking forward to your findings Syd. I ordered some silver wire to experiment with also. A few weeks maybe with the teflon coming from Taiwan.

I found the WE and silver plate pretty great on some recordings and good on many, but that mid hardness "bite" became overwhelming. I took out the silver plate wire, and that was nice too, but the rigid thing is under my skin now and I had to give it a rest. I am looking forward to playing around more with some soft silver in the blend.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 06/15/15 at 20:23:42

I went for some cotton sleeving Will. Two lengths of this. It`s a bit wide but I think it`ll be ok, and the silver can breath. I might even get teflon inside it if it`s too floppy. I`ll have a look for 5ml teflon. Just got to be carefull of kinking.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120705040811?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=S...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 06/15/15 at 22:22:24

I am not getting this mid-range glare.  Perhaps because I am also using the Belden ICs??

After listening to this combo (WE 16g and Belden) in my second system, I am going to make up another set of these.  

I also experimented with using the Belden as a coax cable.  I liked what I heard, but want to try the same thing in my main system.

IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #126 - 08/02/15 at 23:43:37

All quiet here now?

I must say I have been using the single run WE16ga and 2 pairs of the Belden 8402/Switchcraft in my system for the last month and has not sounded better. For a grand total of $110 for all of it. Quite amazing. I pulled at least $4k+ in WyWires from my system.

Pathos Classic One MKII, CA Emotion, CMB Satisfy Carbon Arm, AT AT33PTG, Heed Quasar Phono, Chord Qute HD DAC, Usher CP6371

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 08/03/15 at 13:02:36

Yes kind of quiet.  I have just been listening.  I put we wire and belden in two systems and have been listening to them both and haven't felt the urge to change anything in a while.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 08/22/15 at 21:51:27

I thought I'd come to this thread and see if there was anything I hadn't read.  Everyone here reports loving the WE 16g wire.  Well, I tried a 10 ft, loosely twisted pair of red/black and was totally underwhelmed.  It's been a while but as I recall the bass was thin and treble/high midrange was edgy.  And as some know, I have a particular aversion to a hot high end.  No, I didn't allow a proper burn in...I didn't see how they could improve enough to please me.  I was hoping to find the Holy Grail for 43 Bucks...maybe next time.

Anyway, what made me think of this thread is that I have re-purposed the WE 16g wire.  Today I used it to hook up my Omega Deep Hemp Sub to the Torii MK IV in place of what I'd been using that didn't allow for a solid connection of the spades of the Nanotec cables I'm currently trying.

So is everyone still GaGa over the WE?  Or have some of you tired of it and moved on?  Mark.

PS...reading some of the older posts, I see quite a few are using the belden interconnects with the WE wire.  i'm using Steve's DSR II between the CSP3 and the Torii MK IV and a Grover's ZX+ between the ZP3 and CSP3...maybe that has something to do with my experience.  Regardless my investigation into the WE wire is over.  They are happy where they are now.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 08/23/15 at 02:04:55

I am still using both the Belden and the WE wire.  Haven't been tempted to change.   I bought some more to wire a new boombox this winter.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 08/23/15 at 02:59:29

Still using the WE16 for speakers, bi-wired, down to 5 foot runs from the bridged amps.
I doubt I will change it out since it sounded so much better than my older wire and my ears aren't as picky at 60 as they used to be....  :)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 08/23/15 at 03:53:02

In our incredibly complex system/rooms, I guess if a wire, or any other part of a system/room, is not quite neutral, whether it is great or not depends on everything else.

For reference, old saw, but my system/room is tuned to be very revealing, Decware gear sounding notably more open and transparent than stock, with amazing micro detail, inner detail, and speed, but also beautiful body, articulate and natural bass, and a subtle and sweet warmth. Emotional involvement is not a choice for me, demanding a lot to arrive at a “natural” and “real” sound that makes us forget the system.

The sound I love is "alive" ....tone, timbre, ambience, etc like the players are here, the recording “room” integrating with this room, these walls contributing to the beauty though they also disappear. Recording anomalies like studio reflections, over-compression, etc show up, but that is background, the instruments and voices across a great range of recordings sounding very real. The CSP3  and gain riding with the amp heightens openness or density where necessary while contributing the CSP spacial beauty and tonal density.

Having needed sooooooo much experimentation and work to get here, I am guessing this level of revealing without hardness may be relatively unusual. I think I sort of stumbled into it, but enough very fine information tempers hardness/edginess without losing the beauty of speed and natural complexity. And my source has always been amazing with micro detail, complexity and texture, never sounding “digital” or “Redbook” or whatever many complain about with 16/44 material. It just sounds like music.

That said, there is a range that works within this, and once outside it, even subtle mid/high and high end hardness, or overly darkish density can disturb the balance and weaken the magic.

The way I have things tuned, I would not call my system unforgiving, but being this transparent and revealing, everything does show.

With a single strand of the WE wire, I got attenuation across the spectrum with loss especially on the low end notable compared to any other cables I have used. Also, there was accentuation in the upper mids, particularly the "presence" areas and around 8K. These can be really nice accents for live sound depending on the rest.

Two WE wires solved the attenuation for the most part, deepening bass and speed, but also added power to the upper mid/low high hit. In the end, the WE wire was too tricky here, really nice on some recordings, not so on others, generally getting a little irritating after a while.

But I was seduced by the special and spacial tonal qualities, enough to try to make some cables that utilize, but also fill out the WE sound. It has been a lot of time consuming experimenting, with more to come, but what I am listening to now is really, really good...I like what I hear so much I haven't done but several relatively low key A/Bs with my reference Synergistic Research Copper Elements along the way, but these new cables stand up very well in those minimal comparisons. Intrigued by these new cables as they come out, I don't crave going back to the Synergistic Research.

But they became complex, the WE now two of eight wires per channel, with the addition of pure copper, silver, and titanium strands, each with air dielectric... oversized teflon. Also pure silver on copper bananas. I think I got lucky with wire choices, and found a really good twist pattern for the blend. They are no longer cheap or easy, but the sound is beautiful…maybe the best I have heard.

I have more wire and teflon coming soon to try a variation on this theme, hopefully taking this exploration further into the magic!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 08/23/15 at 09:59:23

I`m still using the WE16g as main speaker wire, about 4` runs, untwisted but side by side using small heat shrink pieces to hold the two lengths together. Totally satisfied with the sound and thank god I wont have to be tempted into trying different cables even though there will be cables out there which may make me ponder and therefore perhaps get into sp cbl rolling. aaargh, no thanks. I have another 30` wrapped up unopened.
I did find the Belden cable but the shipping is more than the cable.....but not totally out of the ball park so it`s one for the future.
Yeah the WE is a cabl that has left the music to flow. The price is immaterial but a very satisfactory outcome.
Mark, it`s not for me to imagine how a `hot` sound can actually sound in the biting treble region though I kind of get it. Whenever I do get some piercing stuff I say to myself that thats how the engineer wanted it etc, etc. When Miles drills into me, and I guess your Chet Bakers horn, it would be as at a concert. Those splashy symbals can be a pain on some recordings. Those I just have to suck up till hopefully the next track eases up a bit. Having `super` def tweeters ; on paper I`d love that but in pactice I dont know. I thought all tweeters went high and loud.
If it were happening to me to the point of distraction I might try some thin foam over the front of the tweeters. I know some of you use different resistors somewhere in the circuit which has me very slightly bemused.
I`m only putting in my twopence worth as I know the WE`s should be good for all, being smooth and neutral.
Syd
Smiley

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 08/23/15 at 13:51:39

I haven't had much external validation on the WE wire other than Raven and ProggRob did not say it sounded bad.  They just didn't really take notice of it.  Perhaps that' a good thing, but I was looking for them to give it the "musical" label I have been using.  

That said, they were coming from listening to their respective rooms and my room is a different animal, so you start out by taking in all that is different in before you start forming opinions on other stuff.

Another CDApS is brewing so maybe we will do some wire experimentation.

I do think there is a combination effect with the Belden that helps to produce the sound.

Inquiring minds want know Will, but realize these things take time.

Also, if anyone wants to sell their WE wire, let me know.  It seems they are now only selling the stuff from the 90s.  It may be every bit the same wire, but I'm not sure.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 08/23/15 at 14:15:02

Syd, I don't know.  Maybe I'll give the we another try sometime.  How long did burn in take or was the WE wire immediately pleasing to you.  I think I've come to the conclusion that copper wire maybe with a little special sauce is what I need.  I've been making tube and cable changes so at this point it's hard to say what is causing what but the Nanotec cables that Will loaned me seem to be closer to what I need. They are copper dipped in shark liver oil that's got a tiny amount of Gold and silver particles in the oil suspension....they come in two different cooper formulations one is for the Hot leg. I still need to try them in my second system.

Will, your capacity for experimentation amazes me.  Anything more than a tube roll is a major under taking for me taking days, weeks or sometimes months of saying I'll do it before it happens.  So you have for each speaker...one pair of WE wire like me, then you add 6 other wires of various metals? Those must be some Garden Hoses.  One question...these nanotec cables, what is the Gauge as used?  After your post here last night, I read some of our prior correspondence.  I just want to thank you for your generosity and patience.  Until later folks,  Mark.

PS...Just thinking out loud here.  I think my goal is to have a relatively inexpensive speaker cable that does not accentuate the high end as silver may do.  I also want to retain detail and have adequate bass performance...I would consider this what folks here call a "Neutral" or "Balanced" speaker cable...correct?

I may also need to consider trying interconnects that are mainly cooper.  I thought I liked Steve's DSR IIs but they are all silver.  The Grover Huffman interconnect I  recently acquired, when it replaced the DSR II between the Torii and CSP3 didn't seem to make things better for me....maybe even worse.  I put the Grover between the ZP3 and CSP3...replacing a copper, Zu Audio Gedes interconnect.... it seems to do well there.    

On the Grover interconnect...it contains copper, silver and aluminum ribbons so this may explain my impression.  Below is from Grover's web site...

"A New Revolutionary Design, pure copper, silver and aluminum ribbons suspended in air tubes. Eliminating all skin effect.

Utilizing my custom passive Carbon, Tungsten, Nickel shield that Electro-magnetically focuses the signal minimizing distortion, and interference."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 08/23/15 at 18:16:11

Mark,

I don't think I ever knew what the Nanotec's gauge was, but I am guessing they may be between 13 and 12 gauge from memory, quite a bit more wire than the 16 gauge WE.

Having the same amp, CSP3 and speakers, I think I have a good sense of your issues, but hard to say for sure. I figured the Nanotec's might solve them, softening the upper mids without fine detail sacrifice, bringing up the warmth and weight on bottom, and adding not brightness, but detail complexity that is softer and more natural compared to the ZUs.

Who knows, but I think of neutral as not biased in any way, having the whole of the frequency range in balance, and.....without attenuation or accentuation overall, or in specific areas. I don't necessarily think of this as the holy grail, but it is a good reference for a system, and for describing based on a given standard while trying to move one way or another to balance a system.

The Nanotec frequency balance seems quite even and complete, but as a whole, I would say they are biased toward warm. I think of "warm" as darkish, but also having fine detail complexity that is not hard. To me, the combination of silver and gold particles in the copper strands was an artful solution to creating a warm cable. Rather than just "Dark" (opposite of bright), my guess is that the copper's natural warmth is likely enhanced by the gold's variant of detailed warmth, and fine detail in balance a "dark" cable might not have, is balanced "out of the darkness" by the silver particles.

I think how a cable sounds has to do with so many variables beyond the metal types; the purity, hardness and structuring of the metals, the dielectric, plated or not, and the quantities of each metal in the balance... any one of these can individually or collectively contribute to making or breaking a chosen balance. So I don't think "silver" or gold, or copper are good or bad, each can be either.

Those other cables I sent you I found more neutral in general, though biased with a big, but articulate bass, and open without upper end hardness. With your bass weakness and upper range issues of the time, I thought these might really pull in more body and depth, hopefully with detail that does not hurt. Figured both would solve the "hardness" effect from the ZUs, just not sure which would be better there.

Yes, the cables I am working on have 1 WE of 4 wires per connection, 8 per speaker (2 of the 8 WE). Since I am still experimenting, I have not put a cover on (making them one cable per side) but I don't think they will look very big. None of the wires are big, I think the current aggregate being about 13 gauge. I got some 1/2" expandable sleeve for them and doubt it will need expanding.

I was wondering if you might benefit from an IC change too.

I find the Grover ZX+ very revealing, and neutral in terms of tonal balance, but a little bit "powered up," like the wire is a little big...a little bit too much signal for my IC tastes. Or maybe it is the aluminum, I have not experimented with it. But I would not call them totally neutral do to this tendency to being a little forward and articulate. Too general, but depending on everything else, it seems ICs are a place where some attenuation might be right and signal wire size (with all else equal) can effect this. But then so can the wire shape it seems, and the ribbons used in Grovers theoretically utilize the wire without skin effect, so perhaps more signal with less wire??? Too many variables to generalize, however, these have a little too much push to the sound for my primary ICs in my system.

But I like to use them between the Tranquility and the CSP3, seemingly leaving nothing out, then my DIY VHAudio silver recipe, (to me very neutral and complex, like no cable) between the CSP and MKIV.

I have not used Decware silver ICs for a long time, but I recall them as pretty neutral in terms of signal intensity, but quite open, articulate and sparkly in the upper range (good micro information), pretty natural mid-mids, and a little on the dark/less articulate side lower mids down... compared to other cables I have used, these were not quite neutral in tonal balance, to me accentuating the top and bottom some.

Palomino's experience with the Beldon's musicality makes me wonder if those might be good in your system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 08/23/15 at 18:45:21

Will, you have a knack for putting into words what I have experienced.  I really like the Nanotecs and think they'll be a winner.  I tried the Nirvanas in the Main system and didn't like them as much as the Nanotecs...they were brighter, edgier than the nanotecs.  I eventually put the Nirvanas in the second system and with the Zu Audio Souls they seem to do OK although I wouldn't call it an improvement over the Zu Libtecs.  I think the real test of the Nirvanas will be using them with the pair of Omega Alinco 7XRS speakers that are also in the second system.  The omegas have an extended high end that I have to tube roll a bit to tolerate. I also need to put the Nanotecs in the second system and try them with both speakers.

In regards to the Grover ZX+ interconnects...you are spot on in your description.  I hadn't been able to put my finger on it but you did.  I would describe them as being pushy and in your face compared to the Decware DSRs...this is your "Powered up and forward".  Putting the grover's between the ZP3 and CSP3 doesn't seem to cause this effect.  But I can't say that I like them better than the Zu Gedes...I'd have to put the gedes back in without other changes to figure it out.  

In regards to the belden interconnects, maybe but I don't do DIY work.  They are all cooper, right?  That's enough for now.  Thanks again,  Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 08/24/15 at 15:49:37

The Beldon wire in this discussion is like the WE wire, tinned copper. I think your experience with the Grover and Decware cables illustrates what I was touching on in terms of "copper" or "silver" or any other metal...that sound depends on a lot more than the broad metal category/name. Just think of all the types and gauges of copper we can buy, and all the ways we can use them, not to mention dielectric, connectors, solder, etc. Though many blame silver as cool, forward, and bright or whatever, in your illustration, the Decware silver cables were less "pushy and in your face" than the Grovers.

Though I have not explored many copper ICs, I found early anticables and Reality cables both toward forward and hard compared to many silvers I have heard, especially my pure silver favs ...the VHAudio DIY...a different league for delicacy, nuance and neutrality.

I also have some homemade copper ICs made more like the VHAudio silver recipe (my reference), with thinner wire in a helix around cotton in this case, and the "copper" is pretty neutral and friendly though they have less tonal breadth and subtle information than the VHAudio silver DIY.

This is not to say there are not character qualities with metals, or that silver sounds better than copper. It is just to say, it all depends!

Then there is tin on these wires and many love them! It is all pretty vast to me.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 08/24/15 at 22:18:41

Mark, I have not heard these Beldon/Switchcraft ICs, so can't say how they sound to me, but I found a place you can get ready-mades. The ones tested in the article Beowulf linked way back when look like they have the gold/nickel RCAs. http://btpa.com/IC8402-XX.html

From Jeff's Place: http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

"The Switchcraft SWC-3502A’s were not available from Yazaki-san’s parts provider, but the Switchcraft SWC-3502AAU’s were, so he used those. The Switchcraft SWC-3502A and Switchcraft SWC-3502AAU are essentially the same plug: they have in common a brass center pin, plug housing, and handle; with a nickel-plated center pin, plug housing, and handle on the 3502A; and a gold-plated center pin & plug housing, and nickel-plated handle on the 3502AAU. I thought the gold plated pin & plug housing with nickel handle made for a very attractive combination with the brown Belden 8402 microphone cable. I really like the Switchcraft SWC-3502AAU RCAs."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 08/24/15 at 22:23:10

PS. I ordered some wire and RCAs to make some. Couldn't help it. Wink

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 08/24/15 at 23:20:31

Will,  I'll be interested in your impressions. Does putting these together involve soldering?  I see having them assembled doubles the price but for a pair the price is still relatively low...about $65.  Mark.

PS...I just read the post before the one above...I think... no, I know you are right.  I have only tried three different interconnects...DSRs, Grovers and zu audio gedes.  I think during my next session I'll replace the silver DSR with the cooper gedes and see what happens.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 08/24/15 at 23:35:27

+1 on Will giving these a listen.

It requires soldering.  Nothing too difficult.  Cutting the outside jacket, twisting the braided shield, stripping the + and - wires and then soldering the three to the switchcrafts.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 08/25/15 at 00:38:15

Yes, I look forward to hearing the Beldons.

Mark,

At that store there is a minimum of 12 feet of the raw wire @ 39. With the four nickel/gold RCAs and shipping it was about 62. If I like them, I have enough wire for another pair, but if not the ICs were still 62....

If I had bought a made up 3 ft pair, it would have been about 78 shipped here (14.40 shipping).

Sounds like a good IC test. Hope the Zus are better than the Libtecs. Those were the first speaker cables I have tried that I just could not learn to like. I guess it makes sense they could be good with your Zu speakers though.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 08/25/15 at 01:39:36

Well Will, I am playing an Analogue Productions reissue of Monk's Criss Cross to compare the DSR with upgraded connectors and the zu gedes.  Since my CSP3 has two stereo outputs I'm able to connect both and use the toggle switch on the Torii. So far on one song there is little difference between the two.  In fact, I had switched back and forth to the point I didn't know which I was listening to and had to disconnect one to figure it out.  Next I'll play a music matters blue note reissue that is a bit hot with lots of cymbals...maybe then differences will be more evident.  I like both equally at this point.  Mark.

PS...listening to a Music Matters LP with the very busy Elvin Jones on drums and again, I can't tell the Gedes and DSR apart.  But what is most notable is that even though the cymbals are plenty they are not too hot...very pleasant. So the recent changes appear to have ameliorated my high end problem.  The most recent changes...Nanotec speaker cables, a 60s Amperex Holland made 6299 input in the CSP3 and a 60s Mullard 12AX7 in spot #1 of the ZP3.  Oh and I put the grover ZX+ between the ZP3 and the CSP3 but I seriously doubt that toned things down.

I don't think I need to mess with interconnects at this point, which is good since I've got a bunch of Steve's DSRs.  But I probably will still try some different ones when they  pop up at the right price.

Next I will try some Miles Davis.  He has some hot recordings.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 09/07/15 at 23:01:14

Bumping this up, Jeff has now made interconnects using the WE 16GA and has mentioned that they are more transparent then the Belden.  He has a really great step by step process on how he made his.

Click here: http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7997

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #145 - 09/09/15 at 15:31:33

Just bought some of the Belden 8402 interconnects provided in the link a couple of post back and am about to purchase some of the WE off ebay,  I'm stoked to give it a listen and see what I think.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 09/09/15 at 20:23:34

I am going to make up some 1M interconnects using the WE 16 wire and compare them to the Belden.  

I am still liking the Belden ICs with the WE 16g speaker wire.  I liked this combo from the beginning but I sense it has become better over time (or I have just gotten used to it.)  Its always been musical, now it seems a little smoother as well.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #147 - 09/09/15 at 23:38:38

So I couldn't find what I wanted in the vintage WE wire so I bought some Blue Jeans cable from Belden.  If it sucks then its no big loss.  If its any good...

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 09/10/15 at 09:58:17

Kboe, I found the belden cable here..http://btpa.com/CA-0582.html.
Not a bad price but double for shipping overseas costs.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 09/10/15 at 11:57:18

Kboe,
This is the guy I bought my WE 16GA cloth wire from.
Looks like he is finally running out, or he is holding back a bit to get a price increase.
I bought some red and some black for my speaker cables.
It all came shipped quickly and in great shape.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jake-s-old-Western-Electric-Stuff/16-gage-wire-/_i.html?_...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print