Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 21:33:26 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
April fools CDApS meeting (Read 145494 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: April fools CDApS meeting
Reply #50 - 04/08/15 at 17:59:55

It could still floor me; it certainly didn't suck!  :)

I did suggest to Steve I'd like to do a comparo with the PS Audio DirectStream - so hopefully I'll have more on that later.

I will say this, Steve's recordings of tape sounded damn good. If I did spend more time with the Decware DSD, I'd want to hear the original tape with the DSD side by side to see how close the recording is to the Master. The only tape I really have a mental reference of is the Twins soundtrack (when Steve floored me with Tape), and that wasn't what was playing last night. One of the tracks he did play had me stop everything and say "I need a copy of this!!" - so yeah, it certainly didn't suck. I see why Stone is crooning about how good this player is.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 04/08/15 at 19:03:17

Okay. I'll stop reading this forum now while I still can. Smiley I'm so tired of the merry go round, and I haven't had luck with Steve's front ends before or what he thinks is a great source so I may pretend I have never heard of the ZDSD. LOL

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #52 - 04/10/15 at 03:46:38

Just FYI - I won't be happy till I have a room like this (except with much taller ceilings.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 04/10/15 at 12:03:35

At the pace you have me going, my room is not that far away Smiley

Looking forward to tonight.  I am going to try to get off early enough to make it there close to opening ceremony time.   Ideally we'd lay down a baseline with the zen, then go to the Torii and end with the ZMA.   Like a wine tasting.

I think Rob's interest in the Torii is primarily in the treble shunt so going out of order would not be crime.

Are you still bringing ravens rolling diffuser lab?  I can bring my qrd's if my wife gets home on time.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #54 - 04/10/15 at 12:49:45

Yeah, I boxed up *both* boxes of diffusers. And I just boxed up the ZMA and it's new spring feet that finally made it from China. I have to say, I'm impressed with these springy feet - they have the feel of solid, well thought out construction....but we'll see if they really do anything positive to the sound.  :)

I'm also a little hesitant to bring the 944, but I'll see what I can do. I know that was part of the testing tonight - but I"m afraid I'll bump them or something. Maybe I need roadie cases for all my gear? LOL

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/10/15 at 15:15:34

If I get more ambitious, I will bring the PPP.  I think Rob should hear his zen on one of these regenerators.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #56 - 04/10/15 at 16:51:55

The things I do for audio, and my Audiophile friends.

MG944 wrapped up in blankets, *Four* pair of PI Audio diffusers, Two name brand 2' X 4' X 2" absorbers, ZMA in it's case, and all the accessories to make the ZMA go.

CDApS meet is on tonight!

Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #57 - 04/10/15 at 16:58:36

Palo - Lraven,  I'm digging this forum. Please keep the info flowing. It'll be interesting to hear about tonites listen/impressions...experiments Mwahhahahaaaa.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #58 - 04/10/15 at 16:59:46

Your dedication knows no bounds!  I can appreciate how much of a pain in the a$$ it must be to load your car up like that; CDApS thanks you.  I am really looking forward to tonight.  It's gonna get loud!

I've made some tweaks to my system since the April 1st meeting.  The most significant was unplugging my Schiit DAC from the UberBUSS and plugging in directly to the wall.  I'll be damned if the sound didn't get a shot in the arm.  Definitely not a "cure all", but I think that the improvements are right where we thought I needed them: midrange presence and dynamics.  LR and Palomino will help me confirm tonight that I'm not crazy.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #59 - 04/10/15 at 17:11:46

Power is a weird thing. You think you've got all this killer gear, all hooked up how you like it...and you find some piece in the mix is throwing noise at the other devices, or a weird ground loop or something.

That's why I worked so hard running Zen Styx style wire through my walls, home run back to the panel via conduit. And why I got this spool of wire to add a few more circuits for my Home Theater setup. On top of the P10 and Solo outlet and all that...The only thing I think I can do better right now, is hire an electrician to add extra ground rods to the house, further lowering the resistance to ground and giving any line noise an easy place to go!

Well, there are other things I can do, but I don't have $5k-$10k for whole house balance power.  :)

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 04/10/15 at 21:35:15

So, I'm pinging some of my Facebook friends to see if anyone knows of a shop that can make me a plastic part for a sound diffuser I've designed. one of the guys of course mentioned that I check out Alibaba and see if something like what I need is already being made in Taiwan or China or something. (I know it is, I just can't find it anywhere). So out of curiosity I'm flipping through Alibaba, and I see an ad with a curious photo.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QRD-diffuser-wall-panels-and-3D_1801691672...

Yeah, those bastards are using one of My photos, of My diffusers I designed and built in My garage!!

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 04/11/15 at 00:15:27

Guys,

I realize this might be slightly off topic, but I have been doing a bit of experimentation with my room treatments.  I have come to the conclusion that diffusion works better for me at the first reflection point (vs. absorption).  It's significant.  I get a wall of sound, better depth, clarity and imaging with diffusion.   I currently have absorbtion at the second reflection points, but I wonder if the soundstage would be even better with diffusion.  

Thanks for pushing me to do this experiment again.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/11/15 at 12:34:23

I was hoping I’d be the first one to weigh in on the latest CDApS meeting we held last night.  Primarily because some of the bad feelings I had about how we kind of clobbered Rob last meeting with our critical comments about his system.  I mean here this guy had spent countless hours working on his passion and we dissected it and critiqued it like a dead frog in a high school biology class.

But, in our defense, we came into that meeting with high expectations for his rig in general and his Hawthornes in particular.  And while we liked aspects of his sound and those speakers, he just didn’t have the synergy going.

I knew something was different this time just walking down the stairs to his room.  I thought, “hmmm, this certainly sounds better.  Was I just in a bad mental state last time?”

Rob had made just a couple simple tweaks which cost him nothing.  He moved his speakers, listening couch and most importantly plugged his DAC directly into the wall, bypassing his conditioner.

To say he had synergy this time is an extreme understatement.  This was indeed a hol-y sh*t moment for me and I think for Eric too.  I heard layering of sound like I have never heard from a Decware based system.  Gone was the sibilance we heard last time.  And the emotion that came through was incredible.

At the center of his system is just a little Zen amp, albeit one with balanced inputs which I really think add a lot.  But we strut around with our big Torii’s and ZMA’s and this little Zen just destroyed them.  Granted, with Rob’s OB’s he’s got plate amps driving  the Auggies, but that wasn’t what was driving this sound.

We put in Eric’s ZMA for the night’s comparison and it just didn’t sound as good.  I could feel the heat coming from Eric as I could tell he heard what I heard.  We decided to give the ZMA some time to warm up and went upstairs to have a drink.  I think Eric said he needed one.

We came back down in 20 minutes or so and the ZMA sounded much better.  It wasn’t fair to compare a cold amp to one that was fully warmed up.  But I have to say, even after the warm up, the magic was not there with the ZMA the way it was with the Zen.  It sounded good and we really were able to hear the potential of the low end on the Hawthornes.  We had a couple of uncontrolled laughs when those speakers dug in and produced chest rattling bass.

The Zen won’t be for everyone.  It does run out of steam on some songs and isn’t nearly as full as the ZMA, but for some of the vocals and intricate numbers we listened to, it was sublime.

So, we heard this time what we expected to hear last time.  Rob had the synergy going and literally, his whole system seemed transformed.  We had minimal diffusion going this time because we just didn’t feel the need to mess with it this time.  We didn’t even unbox the rolling diffuser lab – just my wooden QRDs.   What we heard left us wondering what kind of lift was possible with the UFO transformers and additional treatments in the room.  This was good stuff.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #63 - 04/11/15 at 13:27:44

Thanks Palomino!  I think that's a nice summary, particularly the bit about the dead frog Wink

I expected Pal and Raven to hear some of the improvements that I heard.  What I didn't expect was the reaction to be as high and positive in degree.  Both Tom and Eric heard a difference before they even got down the stairs, which says something.  I bet these two employ similar tricks when deciding which room to go into at AXPONA.

We played some of Eric's test tracks and even I was surprised at what I heard.  Tom called it layering, but at the time I didn't know what term to apply.  Breathtaking probably would've been my word.  I'll echo Tom's comments above and say that there were some moments of prolific bass that made me giggle like a schoolgirl.  

The Zen clearly has some strengths in my system that the ZMA didn't quite show.  The Zen seemed to dance more gracefully and treated the music so delicately that it seemingly left no trace of its own existence.  Music just flows.  That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what the impressive ZMA can do.  The first thing that comes to mind when trying to describe the ZMA is Power.  The dynamic capability is on another level completely, but I could "hear" the ZMA, meaning it doesn't have the SET qualities I described above.  I guess this shouldn't really be surprising.  However, I am a rock/metal listener and honestly this amp would please.  If I had to choose between the two amps, I wouldn't.  I would buy them both.  

We all wondered at the end of the night what level the UFO upgrade would take this amp.  It's just a matter of time before I pull the trigger on that.

That's it for now, I'll let Raven weigh in next.

Dave1210 said:

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that diffusion works better for me at the first reflection point (vs. absorption).  It's significant.  I get a wall of sound, better depth, clarity and imaging with diffusion.   I currently have absorbtion at the second reflection points, but I wonder if the soundstage would be even better with diffusion.  

Eric was kind enough to leave me his traveling diffuser lab.  I'll be trying this out too, Dave.  I'll PM you with impressions when I can.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #64 - 04/11/15 at 13:39:56

I almost forgot another comparo we did last night.  The PS Audio Power Plant Premier vs. the PI Audio UberBUSS.  This is a boring review, but here's what we heard when swapping just the amplifier between these two devices:

Not much.

There was a little more high-end sparkle with the PPP vs. the UberBUSS, but otherwise couldn't identify any differences.  

Now that my DAC is plugged into the wall (and clearly preferrable to conditioned power!), I am closer to considering sale of my UberBUSS to procure the UFO upgrade and some more diffusion.  I need to run some experiments to confirm but this is on the table.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 04/11/15 at 13:48:58

Interesting. Last time I compared my amp and my DAC on my PS Audio P5 and plugged directly into a wall. . . I put them both back on the P5 which had clearly superior sound. All systems and rooms and power situations seem to be different!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #66 - 04/11/15 at 13:51:00

Hi Lon, we didn't plug the DAC into the PPP.  Results were so nice direct in the wall that we didn't mess with it.  I probably would have, but I'm one of those weirdos that believes once you power down your digital gear, even for a second, it takes a long time for it to sound "normal" again.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 04/11/15 at 14:08:08

Yeah I have to agree with Rob on the PPP.  Not a big difference. A little fuller bass is what I heard.  I was expecting more given the lift I got with Rachael.   It could be that my power is just that bad.

My system is sounding a little better this morning than last night when I got back from Robs.  For a while last night I was feeling a deep depression coming on.   Must have been because I unplugged my digital gear.  Yeah that's it Smiley

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #68 - 04/11/15 at 14:13:26

I wouldn't minimize the impact unplugging your digital gear has.  It's similar to a cold amp, just no life in the music until it stabilizes.

I am doing more research on PS Audio power units.  That P5 looks nice Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 04/11/15 at 14:20:34

Oh I know, when I do this I always do it in the evening and go to bed, and usually don't get to listen til the afternoon of the next day when my care activities with my Dad are over. So I'm not comparing cold digital. . . Last time I even did it for a few days because I was including the DAC and digital takes a few days to be all it can be after unplugging in my experience.

I wish I could do without the power plants but I can't after knowing and hearing what they do. Like Pal I suppose I've had bad power (but shouldn't really in comparison to my last home).

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 04/11/15 at 14:37:28

I was more poking fun at my now seemingly inferior system more than the cold digital concept.  I actually subscribe to the cold digital phenom and don't turn my gear off.  Seems like about 24 hours to get everything to sync up again.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #71 - 04/11/15 at 15:16:58

Sorry I'm posting so late - had some domestic issues to deal with when I got home last night. I didn't want to bring that mood into my posting here. LOL

So, this is quickly becoming my favorite thread on the Decware forums...mostly because it's all about us CDApS guys, Smiley but also because it shows the exuberance, lessons, and in this case humbling we go through.

It's funny we were talking about hubris last night, because I was totally expecting to go over there with the ZMA and crush Rob's world. The phrase that Steve taught me (back when he was showing me what reel to reel master tapes sound like on the ZMA) is "Audio-Ruination". I love that word, and I expected that to be what the ZMA was going to do to Rob - I fully expected him to be clamoring to buy a ZMA before we left there, and I even told Steve as much when I picked it up from the shop on Tuesday. Instead, what Palomino said happened.

When I showed up, with the car stuffed full of gear, we started pulling stuff down the stairs and into the staging area (kids play room) behind the listening room. Like Tom said, I wasn't even all the way down the stairs and I *knew* this was a different system. I recognized the Buckethead tunes right away, and they sounded luscious, glassy, and with no hint of sibilance that we heard last visit. And here I am carrying down these giant boxes of diffusers trying to crane my neck around the box going "what the hell" in my head.

Fast Forward to our serious listening, we'd already heard several of Rob's queued up tracks, and we dumped my standard Demo Tracks on his JRiver setup (Same ones I played at Decfest 2014 for everyone), and the previous visit was pretty much forgotten. 98% gone was the sibilance we heard before, the flatness and lack of dynamics. Rob loves guitar tracks as I do myself, and both Tin Pan Alley and Keith Don't Go has that sharp leading edge of a skillfully plucked string, and SRV's tube amp sound was glassy and warm like it was supposed to be. Everything had warmth and emotion, that synergy that Rob expected when he carefully picked this mix of equipment was absolutely there.

Then I played Alt-J and Interlude I came on. Three male voices, rich with natural human harmonics covering a good range of sound - and the layering of those voices was stunning. I look over at Palomino like "are you hearing this!" and he had the same WTF look on his face I'm sure I had. After listening I say - so Rob, how much did you pay for this upgrade? For a half second he looked confused, then this big grin formed on his face and he says  "Nothing". Yeah, that's the best price.

This was a stunning transformation of the system. I must have asked him 3 times what he did, because I was having trouble beliving that moving the speakers 4", the couch 1", and plugging the DAC into the wall could clear up this nasty sibilance and improve dynamics *this* much. It was such a difference that we were just fishing for the "why", and Rob's like...well, I did use contact cleaner on my terminals just before you guys got here last time...

I was all set to tell him to ditch those giant speakers, or get an amp with a little more guts. But the end result was that I just simply said don't change a damn thing with your gear...just pile in the room treatments, and see what you can do with that.

On the flip side, Rob was grinning like a kid when the ZMA showed what it could do, especially after it warmed up a bit. But Palo and I were just shaking our heads; NO, don't change anything! I'm not really sure Rob fully realized what he had till he saw how stunned we were.

That Zen can still hold it's own after all these years. I fully went in there expecting to help Steve sell a ZMA, but instead I'm telling Rob "hey, imagine what this would sound like with those new UFO transformers?!". I really think with the new UFO transformers, and some sound diffusers in the room, Rob's setup will surpass both my setup and Tom's in all but grunt.

Audio-Ruination happened, but it happened to us instead of Rob! LOL

The saving grace for the ZMA; we were running out of time, the family got back from doing family things, and Rob said we had to think about packing up really soon. But he made the mistake of leaving us alone for 3 minutes - so we quickly deployed the MG944 on the outside of this giant OB, rather close to the wall, but on the same plane as the OB, plugged into the ZMA which was still on Rob's front end - and the sound was *there*. I breathed a sigh of relief - the punch, dynamics, detail. Hell, the ZMA/944 combo actually sounded better in Rob's room then my own! I bounced through about a dozen tracks in 5 minutes, just to quickly sample the gamut, and it was all there. That probably saved me from committing hara-kiri when I got home.  ;D

So, Rob's system has detail, emotion, and layering. But still falls short when a track gets really dynamic and the Zen just loses steam. The sibilance is gone, dynmaics and attack are what we expect. I'm still scratching my head at how such slight changes can make such a big difference. I've not heard a Zen amp sound this good since Steve's heavily treated room back in '98. I think Rob lost a little imaging with the speaker move, but I'm betting he can dial that in with some toe-in and diffusers. I almost didn't notice with the other stunning changes going on.

ZMA had grip, grunt, and that rich harmonic sound that makes you want to turn it up - but it just didn't have the synergy with the big OB like it does with the MG944. Rob was certainly pleased with the ZMA, but I wasn't! LOL It's making me re-evaluate the ZMA to see if there is something I can do to get it closer to the CKCS sound. Maybe tube rolling or something...or maybe it's just that inherent difference of SET design; the purity of SET coming through...that same sound that brought me to Decware almost 20 years ago, and not something I can simply tube roll into the ZMA. It pains me to think that this difference will be even wider once those new transformers are put in Rob's CKCS!

Again I say good job Steve on building great amps. And Great job Rob for planning such synergy of gear, and not giving up after our first visit. These small tweaks certainly were worth the cost!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 04/11/15 at 16:09:28

Thanks for adding the 944 experience to the record.   I know these are no longer in production but they really hold their own. Great match with the ZMA.  I lugged the el caminos to the meeting but we ran out of time.  

I *need* you guys to come listen to my room for the next meeting but I'd like to have the new rear wall diffuser array place so I am not the next biology frog.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #73 - 04/11/15 at 17:21:24

Right about now, the only thing I feel like I have over you two is I can go louder....oh, and I have a bigger dog.  :P

lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 04/11/15 at 17:52:33

Lonely Raven, i see the Chinese stole your diffuser designs but even the photo? They steal patented products frequently as well, pretty ballsy. Alibaba is the Chinese equivalent of Amazon.com maybe bigger. I suppose you should flattered.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #75 - 04/11/15 at 20:08:51

L.R. , What are you trying to get made in plastic?
I would think that someone around you would have a 3D printer that could print up what you need.
I might, maybe, be able to slip it into our's, but I would need at least a print or a CAD file to do it.
We can print up to 10"X 10"X12".

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #76 - 04/12/15 at 01:43:24

Donnie, I really appreciate that, but in the long run I'm going to need dozens of these. I don't think 3D printing is the best method unfortunately. If I only needed a couple, sure, but probably not for dozens.

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #77 - 04/12/15 at 02:21:28

L.R., A couple of dozen falls into a real bad price zone. Enough that prototyping methods are too high and making a injection mold hard tool is even higher.
I've been reading about 3D printing injection molds for 100 hit tools, but even then it is going to cost $5-10K.
Maybe someone in Schamburg or Elk Grove can make tooling cheaper than I'm thinking. There are a lot of shops around that area.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #78 - 04/12/15 at 17:03:00

Great thread guys.

You don't need to own the ZMA, exotic cables and Speakers to have great sound with Decware! I'm sellng my KS3035 Speaker Cable right now on AgoN, because my Kimber Select 3033 is more compatible/musical.....is a good example. Thus, the reason I've always kept my SE84CS. Now with my modded Adagio's and ERRx on the way (the CS can drive them both), I will plug my CS now,  even more into the System. Would I ever get rid of my ZMA = hell no! But, my CS does do special things vs. the ZMA as you guys duly noted.

Instead of modding my SE84CS with the UFO mod:  I'm strongly considering getting a UFO MOD SE84CKCS-XLR inputs, to run the balanced out of my ZDSD. This preserves my SE84CS.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 04/13/15 at 14:23:26

Help me out Raven/Rob if you see something missing or we are not in agreement...

Lessons learned from the past two CDApS meetings:

1. Diffusers have an impact - even with OB speakers.  They widen the soundstage noticeably.

2. You can tune a room and a system with diffusers.  My wooden QRD13s affected more midrange.  Erics Styrofoam ones had more impact on treble.  Diffuser rolling anyone?

3. There was little difference between power regeneration and power conditioning (at least for the units we tested).

4. You can achieve blissful listening with the smallest amp in the Decware lineup so long as you have a decent source and the right speaker combination.

6. Although we knew this going in, we demonstrated that SET has transparency that the larger amps do not.  What you choose is a balancing act based on your listening preferences.

5. Small changes can add up to big differences.  Moving speakers and/or changing power source can literally transform a system.  Continued, structured tweaking can have its pitfalls, but it can also result in better sound.

6. There is some freaking awesome recordings out there (even an old guy can appreciate).

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #80 - 04/13/15 at 16:12:05

Palomino, I think you did a nice job identifying the takeaways.  It was a very educational pair of meetings.  

This list turns my mind toward future meetings and to ponder a list of things I'd like to know.  

Since we'll likely be at your place next, I'm wondering what some of your questions are pertinent to your room?  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 04/13/15 at 16:45:02

I have a few questions.

1. What are your impressions of my soundstage? (I won't bias you ahead of time)

2. How do you feel the transparency of the Torii MKIII with Jupiters compares to that of the Zen?  In other words, what do you think I am giving up for the sake of volume and dynamics?

3. Do you hear big differences in balanced (your system) versus unbalanced (mine)?

4. What are your impressions of the bass clarity and overall level in my room?

5.  I'd like to also get Raven's (and your) impressions of the new fractal diffusers I bought.  Raven hopefully has a memory of what his diffusers sounded like in my room.  Mine is going to be a 6' by 4" stepped array across the back wall.

6. What do you think of the El Caminos?

You guys may have other stuff you want to do, but this is my agenda.

We could do a Saturday or maybe go a little later given that I don't have the younger kids like you do.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #82 - 04/13/15 at 22:38:54

I'm in Orlando for work this week, and camping this weekend. So I'll be out of the loop for a bit.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 04/13/15 at 22:42:01

Yeah, I know.  Bri said "sure, take that ZMA out of the living room.  And while your at it, take that big DAC thing as well."

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 04/14/15 at 01:53:12

Quote:
Lonely Raven wrote:

That Zen can still hold it's own after all these years. I fully went in there expecting to help Steve sell a ZMA, but instead I'm telling Rob "hey, imagine what this would sound like with those new UFO transformers?!". I really think with the new UFO transformers, and some sound diffusers in the room, Rob's setup will surpass both my setup and Tom's in all but grunt.

Quote:
Palomino wrote:

2. How do you feel the transparency of the Torii MKIII with Jupiters compares to that of the Zen?  In other words, what do you think I am giving up for the sake of volume and dynamics?

My Super Zen and Alnico Monitors with reinforced Mid Bass have MORE  Slam & Grunt than my Peachtree 220se (220 watts) and Klipsch RF-7's (102db). The Peachtree / Klipsch combo will reach insane SPL's which is not very useful. The Super Zen / Alnico Monitors with reinforced Mid Bass reach more than sufficiently high volumes and and you have the Wonderful Super Zen Sound.

Quote:
DBC wrote:

Meter: Radio Shack analog SPL meter. A weighted, Slow response. Placed at listening position.

Room: 16' x 21', vaulted ceiling with large openings into other large areas of the home. Front of speakers placed 4' from the front wall and spaced 9' apart. Listening position is 11' from each speaker. Hard wood floors with large padded area rug. Modest room treatments (absorption & diffusion).

Equipment: Oppo 105D, Stock Super Zen with 8 ohm output transformers, Omega Super Alnico's, Twin Hsu Mid Bass Modules connected via speaker level with crossover set at 150hz.

Music: AC/DC Powerage CD, tracks included Rock & Roll Damnation, Up to my neck in you, Sin City.

Sound Pressure Level Readings:

Super Zen Volume Control set at 12:00 O'clock: Average SPL = 83db
Super Zen Volume Control set at  1:30 O'clock:  Average SPL = 87db
Super Zen Volume Control set at  3:00 O'clock:  Average SPL = 92db

For my taste the 12'00 O'clock volume setting is ideal for lengthy listening at moderately high volume without fatigue (Very Satisfying). At the 3:00 O'clock volume setting I did not notice any obvious strain on the part of the amp or speakers.

When I turn the Mid Bass Modules OFF the music is obviously a bit thin for my taste on the bottom end. I should mention this is also the case with my Klipsch RF-7's so it is not a fault with the Omega.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #85 - 04/14/15 at 23:56:42

ProggRob....

want SET "illuminated from within" sound with more power?  Read Steve's white paper on the Torii.  As long as you use tubes that utilize the Hazen grid circuitry in the Torii... it will have that vivid mids SET sound.  Want to be less vivid?  Replace the EL34's for some tubes that won't engage the Hazen mod.... and the Torii will be less vivid... that is one of the greatest attributes of the Torii - I have been able to make it sound virtually any way I want and can dial it in with nearly every speaker I've tried it with.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #86 - 04/15/15 at 00:43:55

Thanks maddog, this has my mind turning a bit.  We had an opportunity to hear the Torii in my system during our last CDApS meeting, but we ran out of time.  At any rate, I wouldn't have approached the Torii in this manner.

Next time I get my hands on Palomino's Torii, I'll try voicing in various ways to see how close we can get it to the Zen's sound!

Palomino, don't let me forget!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #87 - 04/15/15 at 02:23:57

Guys, you're killing me! First, there was the untouchable ZMA, then, the Rachael was replaced by a Torii MK III, then there's this ZMA won't compete against the Super Zen sound again ... so what is it, SET power or watt power, other things being equal? What are really the tradeoffs?

When I started my adventure with Decware, some 3 years ago, I made the question: Surely a SET or SEP would have strict sound/transparency advantages as compared to a PP design like the Torii? People at the time jumped over stating Decware designs are not subdued by this classical view, as the PP is designed to sound like the SET but with more guts ...! or something like that.

Finally, I have a Mini Torii (SEP), with somewhat more complicated topology than, say, a Rachael due to the additional regulation tubes in the signal path, plus the beamy sound of a tetrode/pentode like the 6V6 being different from the EL34 in the Rachael or the EL84 in the Super Zen. I admit the Mini Torii is the only Decware amp I've heard, so bear with me, but, I find it quite transparent, with a rich and peppy sound. It just lacks the oomph of a larger amp, that's all.

Just sayin'

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 04/15/15 at 03:33:30

Zen trumps ZMA and Torii in speed, transparency and a new term to me since I have now actually heard it, layering.  Also note that we said once the ZMA was warmed up and especially when it was paired with the 944s it was much closer.

ZMA and Torii both trump zen in power and dynamics.

ZMA trumps Torii in power and dynamics.  My gut tells me ZMA beats Torii on transparency.  It's been awhile since I a/b'd them in my room. Without balanced input on the ZMA, it's probably closer.

Rachael was replaced by Torii for ability to play well with a wide variety of speakers, general sound tuning ability plus power.  If I am listening to jazz and female vocals, Rachael is still my favorite amp in my home.  If I can find the right speakers it wl be replaced by a zen. Rock, electronic, or other dynamic music it's Torii all the way.

If you asked me what I would choose as my favorite amp/speaker combo it would be a zen with balanced inputs and audiophile speakers with 101db sensitivity.  I don't know that these speakers exist.  This I hope would give me the transparency plus dynamics and volume.

My second favorite would be the ZMA with balanced inputs and a variety of 94db+ speakers.  Monoliths for one.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 04/15/15 at 03:37:34

Oh and zen trumps Rachael in speed and transparency. Slight edge to Rachael on power and dynamics.

I have never heard the mini Torii.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #90 - 04/15/15 at 03:53:29

Palomino, are you looking for a 101db/w/m speaker with 8 ohm impedence?  Check this out, these have interested me as well.

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-def-1b

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 04/15/15 at 04:11:30

I'm sure those would be great...haven't heard them.  But I run the Zu Audio Soul speakers with my 2.3 WPC Zen Signature Monoblocks.  They are 99 dB and 8 ohm and are my favorite with the small Zen. There's plenty of headroom. They have a 60 day trial period...try either, you'll like them, but if you don't, they pick them up and give your money back.

I also have Omega Alinco Super 7XRS speakers at 93 dB and 8 ohms that work well with the small amps but the Souls are my favorite. Mark.

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 04/15/15 at 11:52:51

Zu have been on my radar since my pre-decware days so I am interested. I did hear Zu last year at axpona and was impressed with soundstage and dynamics.  My impression based on what I have read and what I briefly heard is that they are more of a rock speaker.  I'd like to hear them with the zen and with a wide variety music.

Maybe at a CDApS in the future we could pair up the zen with Eric's Zu.

I don't think his are that efficient but hopefully I'd get the idea.

Btw Rob I don't doubt that the zen magic I heard was enabled greatly by your DAC and speakers.  You have great synergy there. It all works for me but I'd like a little more power for the volume, weight and dynamics.

Btw Steve's new offerings with the adjustable gain are worth a listen in this regard.  I wasn't as interested in the recorder but the cp player has me thinking.

It might be hard for you to give up your DAC.  I was an early schitt head but fell off the wagon when it took so long for them to introduce product.  Might be time to give them another look as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 04/15/15 at 12:41:22

Palomino,  I think Zu does seem to Market to the Rock crowd but if you speak to Sean Casey, the founder and President of Zu Audio or read some of the write ups on the site, you'll find that they strive to get vocal reproduction right. Having listened to my Zu Souls for about two years, I can assure you they play all music well.  I listen to Jazz mainly and the souls do it right from solo piano to vocals to Big Band. I particularly like that they don't over emphasize the High End...their presentation seems to be well balanced to me.  In addition they do Bass very well, better even than the HR-1s in my main system.  You can read about their unconventional structure internally to achieve it.

In the thread LR started talking about his blue Zu's, I warned him about the long break in, which is much longer than other speakers, in my opinion.  I've copied one of my posts below rather than go through it again.

To reiterate, the Souls do very well with Jazz, Classical as well as Rock/Blues.  I only have experience with the Souls, they have upgraded internal wiring and the tweeter is integrated with the 10 inch driver so they are a bit different than LR's Zus but both should sound similar.  If you have the chance to listen to well broken in Zu speakers with your Music, I think you'll be very pleased with what you hear.  Mark.

21       AUDIO FORUMS / General Discussion and Support / Re: BAM! Blue Beauties are on the way!
on: 01/14/15 at 13:22:55
Started by Lonely Raven | Post by mark58
I've been reading the various impressions of the Blue Zu's.  I've written before in this forum about how I hated my Zu Soul's at first and beat the crap out of them with Led Zep at near concert levels....probably at least 250 to 300 hours, before they started behaving like audiophile speakers.  Mind you Zu claims they break in the drivers for 600 hours before putting them in the cabinets.  The Blue Zu's should be very similar to mine except you have a separate tweeter vs my whizzer...which makes the Blues less efficient with a higher Impedance. But the sound quality should be very similar.

Did you get a feel for how much the prior owner had used the Blues and at what volumes...they may not have been broken in much.  These Zu's really do have a Mr. Hyde and then a Dr. Jekyll personality after break in.  Unless I'd lived through it myself, I'd have a hard time believing the difference.

I, like Lon, don't like my Music playback to be too hot.  I want lots of detail but I don't want the cymbals pounding holes in my brain.  I'm listening to some studio Monk Quartet from 1964 as I type...everything is just right.  My system is relatively simple.  The 2 WPC Zen Signature Monoblocks with a Jolida 100 CD player with a pair of Sylvania Black Plate 12AX7's.  The Signatures have a pair of Amperex 7308's, the stock Russian output tubes, 50's RCA 5U4G coke bottle Rectifiers and 50's RCA OA3's.  Interconnects are the Decware Silver Reference and the power cords are nothing special.  Speaker Cables are Zu Libtec.  Oh, I also use a Running Springs Audio Haley Power Conditioner.

In regards to floor gap,  I use the spikes they sent at almost the highest you can get in the front with the back two about half of max so the souls tilt up a bit with plenty of space underneath.  They sit on carpet and provide plenty of Bass.

So when I hear or read folks who have owned Zu Speakers and describe what I first heard but got rid of them...I think to myself, if only they had been more patient with these temperamental beasts. They just needed to be broken like a young spirited horse.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #94 - 04/15/15 at 13:17:38

Palomino,

Thanks for the summary observations. I totally agree. In fact, this is why I alternate now with my Tekton Lore 2.0's, as these provide the sensitivity and impedance load my Mini Torii enjoys so much, improving dynamic power reserve for demanding passages.

Of course, I miss the vibration and air pressure on the skin feeling a larger amp's bass presentation provides along with the tangible (almost physical) slam, but there are tradeoffs, like you have well pointed out.

I wonder how different an El84 or El34 tube sounds compared to the 6V6 ... Right now, I feel in the middle of the road, lacking both extreme conditions but having a quite versatile amp which provides enough power (with the right speakers) and transparency. It's probably a bit slower than a Super Zen, I'm sure, as I have felt that sometimes (I guess the effect of the extra regulation topology).

I need to find out what my next upgrade is going to be.  Thanks again!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 04/15/15 at 13:43:21

As the owner of a Mini Torii and a SE84, I can certainly attest to the magic of that Zen amp.  It has a transparency and an ability to flow with the music that the Mini Torii just doesn't quite get.  There's something quite special about that little amp and I marvel at it to this day.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #96 - 04/15/15 at 14:49:15

Nice to learn about that. The Super Zen may be on my next upgrade, then, especially with the upgraded transformers, as it should work fine with my Tekton Lore 2.0's and maybe even with my DM945's.
Thanks!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 04/15/15 at 15:03:42

One last comparison.  I believe Rachael trumps Zen in soundstage.  Zen trumps Torii and Torii and ZMA are tied.  These are small differences but my opinion, none the less.

I re-read my response and somebody might wonder why I even have a Torii MKIII.

To me, the Torii is the best all rounder Decware amp.  It does nearly everything very well.

It's the most flexible amp in the lineup.  You can make it sound pretty much any way you like.  Plus it's got the power for a wide variety of speakers.

And for what they are going for these days, it was another no brainer for me.  If you trace my purchase history, you'll see I am fairly cautious and like no brainers.

I keep Rachael for when I want Zen magic.  I do lust after the ultra zen magic of the Zen, especially after hearing it at Rob's.  But I also lust after the bodacious curves of the ZMA.  A married man can look, can't he?

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #98 - 04/15/15 at 15:23:14

It sounds like we are all after the same things: dynamics, detail/layering, volume capability, etc.  Everyone wants their cake and to eat it, too.  However, at some point we need to select a Decware amp that does well what we value most, and then research source components and speakers that compliment its strengths and minimize its shortcomings.  Below I'll outline how I tried to build around the Zen.

For me, the Zen was a no-compromise choice for detail.  My opinion at the time, and to this day, is that transparency isn't something you can get back.  If any component in your system obscures it, it is gone.  So in theory I felt it was a good match for my large-driver Hawthornes since research indicated that large drivers "don't do detail".  I haven't found this to be true exactly, still I find the Zen was a smart choice for my speakers.  Add a transparent DAC and great cabling commensurate with your equipment and you're set.  

I felt volume would not be an issue with the Zen with 97db/w/m speakers, and mostly it has not been for me.  Dynamics were a bit of a gamble, but I slept easily knowing three things:  a) bass capability of the Zen was well documented, in fact I read once on the Steve Hoffman forums that a new Zen owner felt the bass was better than his 100+ watt Odyssey Khartago amps, b) the driver size on the Hawthornes would displace enough air to make up for the amp's lack of grunt, and c) my Schiit Gungnir is known for it's prodigious dynamics and bottom end frequencies.  Just read Palomino and Raven's responses on Page 5 to see if they felt after visit No. 2 that dynamics were inadequate.

Dislaimer: in relation to a ZMA or really any Decware amp with more wattage, the Zen will lose on dynamics and volume.  I heard this first hand.  However, in the absence of comparison, I doubt many that took great care to build around the Zen's weaknesses would feel cheated.  Hell, I've heard a direct comparison and still don't feel cheated.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #99 - 04/15/15 at 15:34:12

Quote:
I re-read my response and somebody might wonder why I even have a Torii MKIII.

Funny, I wondered that after reading your relative comparisons to other Decware amps.  I'm glad you clarified.

I also understand from maddog07 that the current drive of the Torii Mk III is a perfect match for full range, single-driver speakers.  I don't believe the Mk IV delivers the same level of magic in this regard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print