Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 19:03:17 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
April fools CDApS meeting (Read 145300 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

April fools CDApS meeting
04/01/15 at 18:43:28

We decided to hold a weeknight meeting given the holiday and general lack of another weekend date where we were all available.

President Raven will be swearing in newcomer proggrob who graciously offers to host.  Rob has a dedicated room with treatments and an awesome system featuring a music server plus Hawthorne audio open baffles being driven by a ckc with balanced inputs.  Plate amps drive the auggies.

After we listen to Robs system we are going to test out my chord DAC with unbalanced outputs to see how it fares.  Then we are going to introduce more diffusion to Rob's room courtesy of raven's rolling diffuser lab. The question at hand will be whether the OBs soundstage can possibly be improved.

We hope to hear some great music and enjoying some good ol fashioned audio bs'ing.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: April fools CDApS meeting
Reply #1 - 04/01/15 at 19:17:02

Great news!

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 04/01/15 at 20:13:27

I'm really looking forward to tonight. It's been some rough times at work the past two weeks, and I'm so terribly unprepared for, but so badly needing a good listening session! I do have my diffusers packed and ready!

Next time I'll bring the ZMA and PS Audio DirectStream. Tonight, lets focus on criticizing...I mean, critiquing Rob's room!  :)

I'm honestly excited to be in another well treated room. I think he's going to be surprised what the mobile diffuser lab can accomplish, taking it up a notch or maybe even a big step. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/15 at 20:21:25

By the way, a shout out to tlarwa. We figured you couldn't make a weeknight but shoot me a note if you want to drive down.  

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/15 at 20:33:52

This is the culmination of my audiophile life!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/15 at 20:42:16

Also, I just counted 123 emails trying to arrange a date and agenda for this meeting.  I'd like to give a shout out to Palomino and Raven for their dedication to the betterment of CDApS.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/15 at 21:02:49

You are not alone anymore Rob.  We are here for you.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 04/01/15 at 22:15:05

Quote:
Also, I just counted 123 emails trying to arrange a date and agenda for this meeting.  I'd like to give a shout out to Palomino and Raven for their dedication to the betterment of CDApS.

Yeah, that's it...quantify just how unhealthy our addiction is....LOL

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 04/01/15 at 23:36:50

You big city guys with all of your fancy equipment.
Us cornfield dwellers are happy with a AM radio in the dash of our '66 chevy pick 'um up truck.
Have a good time!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #9 - 04/01/15 at 23:53:07

Sounds like a great evening planned...would like to hear how the "mobile gypsy-room treatment-medicine show"  goes. I am slowly treating/ working my room. Definitely has helped, but I know more is needed.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/02/15 at 01:46:40

Yes, also interested in the diffuser setup and for us Decware appreciaters many states away some pictures.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 04/02/15 at 03:08:51

You guys already know how I feel about diffusers and what they do. I'll let the new guy chime in and describe what we did tonight.

It was a very enjoyable, and educational evening. Progrob has a completely different sound than what I'm used to - it  was great hearing a system that so effortlessly imaged and had air in the music. Live recordings were seriously amazing.

I'll leave the rest to Palo and Rob - they are probably better at describing thing then I am anyways.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/02/15 at 03:33:56

Many thanks to rob for hosting.  Great evening all around.

I am still packing to head up to michigan but in brief this was a case study for some audiophile textbook on the power of diffusers.  Even with just two diffusers placed at the secondary reflection points the soundstage grew, the mid range blossomed, and details increased.

It was also a case study on how different diffusers sound different.  In the end I liked the combo of wood and styrofoam diffusers.  The wood were smoother and did more for the mids but didn't accentuate the highs like the styrofoam.  Combined I think you got the best of both worlds.

So to answer the question of whether diffusers help good OB speakers the answer is yes, for sure.

More later if I get time.  I also took a picture.  We were so engrossed in things we didn't even think about pictures.  

P.S. The song we were most engaged by was a iTunes download.  Just sayin'

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #13 - 04/02/15 at 05:15:32

Thanks Raven and Palomino for setting the stage.  I had a great time, and it was awe inspiring to watch this duo play various tracks and diagnose a system so quickly.  I learned a lot tonight, but with answers come even more questions.

The first thing that was confirmed for me is that I'm too close to my system to know what it is and isn't good at.  For that you need perspective.  And when you don't know other audiophiles or hear other systems you are essentially working with a sample size of 1.  That means no perspective.  Sure I can scour forums and blogs and read all the audiophile words that describe what we hear, but without real interaction and feedback it is next to useless.  These two moved me years down the road of what I might have accomplished on my own in just over 2 hours.

A bit of background: over the last 3 or so years, I've spent thousands of hours and dollars researching and selecting components for my system.  I've obsessed over details, value, reviews, and synergy, swapping equipment, and gotten everything "just so".  You can see what remains in my signature.  So, I think it's perfect right?  After tonight, there are things I can rest easy on, and others that will keep me up late.  Here my thoughts:

1) There is more to your amplifier/speaker relationship than how loud the amp can play your speakers.  Unfortunately we couldn't confirm this tonight, but Raven and Palomino brought up the possibility that perhaps my amp/speaker combo wasn't a solid match.  A fair assessment.  Relative to their experience, dynamics are recessed in my system.  In terms of SPL, my 2.3 watts are enough to drive my 97db/w/m Hawthorne Trios.  It plays plenty loud for me (not for Palomino and certainly not for Raven), but there seems to be more to it.  Yes, 2.3 watts will drive my speakers to 100 db.  However, how does it punch below that level?  Do the extra power reserves, though untapped, translate to a more dynamic sound?  I always thought that it was the circuit that contributed to dynamics, and so long as your power ratings were sufficient you'd be ok.  After all, what do watts you don't use get you?  "Grip"?  I've read all about it before, but reading Steve's page on which Decware amp to select doesn't seem to mention anything but volume considerations.  While we generated no first hand evidence that the ZMA or Torii will kick up dynamics vs. my CKCS, we'll find out soon enough at a future CDApS meeting.

2) I need to learn what my OB's can and can't do.  This becomes important because it determines precisely my upgrade path.  Here's what I learned tonight, starting with the negatives: they can exhibit sibilance, and they are quite "laid back" and are short in presence factor (midrange).  I actually never, ever noticed the sibilance before.  Once Raven pointed it out, I kept hearing it.  The positives: I have bass!  And, they have exceptional air and staging capabilities.  No surprises for me there but it was nice to hear from others.  There are other things to improve such as soundstage width and improving my speakers' "disappearing act", but I'm not confident enough to determine whether this is a drawback of my speakers or simply a matter of positioning and the room.  

3) My source components are fine.  I've been obsessed with getting the Schiit Yggdrasil, which is Schiit's upcoming Statement DAC.  I already started saving for it and would have been my next purchase if not for CDApS.  However, Palomino and Raven both thought detail was sufficient and in fact heard some things on recordings that they'd never heard before.  Here's my new take - a DAC upgrade, while a move in a positive direction, addresses nothing that my system cannot already do well.  Next.  

4) All Hail to the God of Diffusion.  Do I really need to say it?  Wow.  Diffusers at the 2nd reflection points turned a mildly impressed audience into a captive one.  I don't want to overstate things, but there was a pronounced increase in interest when those things went in.  Whether they styrofoam or wood, dividends were paid in midrange, sibilance control, musical interest and increased air and width of soundstage.  With a couple pairs of appropriate diffusers, would I care anymore what my speakers aren't good at?  I certainly wouldn't be over the near term.  The key takeaway tonight is that diffusers need to be my first priority.  I'm still shaking my head.

Thanks again for the great evening, gents.  Looking forward to the next one!!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 04/02/15 at 06:36:33

Rob touched on it, but I want to explore the diffusers a bit.

So, Rob's room is in his basement, it's a dedicated room - couch, TV/Monitor on the wall, rack of gear between two giant speakers, and some sound absorbers about. I walk in and the first thing I say is "this has a good vibe" - and to be honest, those speakers are somewhat intimidating! LOL

We listened to several tracks, some Rob recommended, and some Palomino and I know well. I was honestly amazed at how well the room and speakers were dialed in - I imagine it was a bear to get those giant beasts balanced with a 2 watt zen and 375WPC on those big subs! We spot right off the mids sound a bit buried; not just laid back, but a bit lost. The bass was as deep as you'd expect, but it didn't pop, and the high end had great air, but a bit a sibilance. Well balanced, but I felt like the speakers were holding him back a bit.

Then at about the same time, Palo and I feel a lull in our listening, and we pretty much at the same time decided it was time to deploy the diffusers. We were like 3 kids with boxes of Lego, the duffusers were out and in position, and I pressed play on the same track we just finished, and I have to say...I was just floored at how just a few (relatively) cheap diffusers could do so much to add air, detail and harmonic complexity, and most surprisingly bass punch! I had to stop the track and ask if I was imagining this, and I look over and pretty much see mouths hanging open. LOL  Yep, not my imagination.

Fast Forward to the end of the night, we're listening to Sara Bareilles - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Live). We're listening with diffusers, and it was amazing how engaging it was. We stopped analyzing and the three of us just gazed into an imaginary stage. Of course, at this point it prompted me to say "OK, now ALL DIFFUSERS OUT!". And the sound went flat and muddled (comparatively - Robs system is anything but flat with all the air and space). The soundstage shrank, the vocals just got buried, the bass was deep but lost it's punch, and the music was just somehow less engaging. That cinched it - *this* is why I find room treatments, and especially diffusers so important.

The last two tests we performed were to see how big of an impact Rob could get if he only picked up *two pair* of diffusers (spoiler - it was enough of an improvement that he was ready to buy diffuses right then and there), and to see if the wood QRD 13 diffusers Palo built sounded better than the PI Audio foam diffusers. The result of that test was inconclusive; both diffusers sounded great, but different. The wood QRD 13 sounded "warmer" for lack of a better term. And the foam PI Audio diffusers seemed to diffuse better, but seemed to add more edge to the high end.

As Rob said, more answers, more questions. But my questions are far different than his.  ;)

I need to explore diffuses a bit more as I have some questions. Did the wood diffuser sound "warmer" because it doesn't diffuse into a high frequency like the more complex PI Diffuser? Or, is this more of a matter of the materials the diffusers are made out of? Many people believe that sound waves take on a tone of what it's reflected off of. So maybe the added edge/etched/sibilance from the foam diffusers aren't the high-frequency extension and detail they add, but simply the  foam imparting it's flavor on the reflected sound? More experimenting is required!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/02/15 at 13:41:09

You guys really nailed it.  Nothing more to say except I agree.

I listened a little last night sans Raven's mobile diffuser lab.  He took them back unfortunately.  Still good, but not the same.  I think I need the combination to really help me hear "deep into the mix" as they say.

I didn't feel I was on my game last night, but Raven more than made up for it.  He was indeed the ringmaster.  "Stop"  "Siblance" "Flat" "OK, all diffusers out" "Same positions!"  It was like Touretts audio speak.

One other impression I'll add was I liked JRiver.  Nice solid interface and loved the little fade out when you stop a song.  If only it weren't winders based.  Rob said they had a Mac version.  I'd need to see how I'd control it from my phone.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #16 - 04/02/15 at 13:44:35

ProggRob,

For what it's worth, I replaced my DM945's (4 Ohms, 94 dB's) with Tekton Lore 2.0's (8 Ohms, 98 dB's). What I can summarize about the perceived change is this: Tangibly more dynamics, weight and power, with so much volume I can only go to 9:30 (max 10:00) O'clock now before I get ear-damaging SPL's, and this is with a 4.0 watts per channel Mini-Torii! Of course, I have a small listening room.

I've always suspected my amp was not having the chance to really breath when coupled with the lower sensitivity DM945's (which are great sounding speakers if coupled with larger amps), no reserve in dynamics for those sudden classical music passages which are intended to make you feel climax pressure.

When I purposely listen at lower than normal volume levels, all the details and weight are still there, allowing even to appreciate another aspect of music listening.

So, using an analogy with vehicles, the weight to power ratios are very important to feel times of response and acceleration ... Is not power per se, but the synergy between power and (in the case of audio) sensitivity levels coupled with full range single drivers.

LR,

About diffusers, I'm eager to try those. I've been distracted lately due to local power company distribution issues, but my next objective is to assemble DIY difusser panels. As I suspected, having them in first impact areas did not seem intuitive. I can easily accept the notion of having those at 2nd impact areas, as the absorption effect is very important in the initial sound wave, I feel.

I just need a few pointers regarding the most simple yet effective design pattern I should follow, and, in my case at least, I'll stick to styrofoam or equivalent synthetic materials first. Once the right design has proven right, I could give it a try by ordering some panels to a local woodshop.

In my room, full with absorption pannels, I get a very balanced and neat sound, but I miss some of the liveliness I had before (now it sounds better overall, for sure, without those booming and sibilant sounds about), which would make for the right combination to really imporove soundstage depth and width as well as PRATT.

I know now my DAC plus Mini Torii and Tektons are doing their fair share of contributions (sounding better than ever), so it's time to go beyond the good job offered by absorpion panels and into difussers.

Please give us some pictures to identify the patterns involved, will you?

Thanks and good job from the Chicago Decware Appreciation Group!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 04/02/15 at 14:48:02

Quote:
I didn't feel I was on my game last night, but Raven more than made up for it.  He was indeed the ringmaster.  "Stop"  "Siblance" "Flat" "OK, all diffusers out" "Same positions!"  It was like Touretts audio speak.

Geeze, I hope I didn't sound like the Sound Nazi! LOL I'm glad I was on last night, as tired and stressed as I have been with work, I was afraid I'd be an exhausted lump. But hey, when I have an idea of what needs to be done, let's get it done! I'm glad it provided us with clear results that we all agreed on - no doubt about how we felt.

Quote:
One other impression I'll add was I liked JRiver.  Nice solid interface and loved the little fade out when you stop a song.  If only it weren't winders based.  Rob said they had a Mac version.  I'd need to see how I'd control it from my phone.

I still have some PCs that are close to ready to go. I'm going to be selling them in the Classifieds, Craigslist, and eBay (if I have to use eBay) to help fund future projects. I'm happy to loan you one so you can see how the PC setup I use sounds on your gear.

Quote:
So, using an analogy with vehicles, the weight to power ratios are very important to feel times of response and acceleration ... Is not power per se, but the synergy between power and (in the case of audio) sensitivity levels coupled with full range single drivers.

That's pretty much what I was telling Rob last night. He's a really low level listener - I just think there is a synergy mismatch between his speakers and his wonderful little Zen amp. I kept saying I could hear the Decware in the setup, but there was a bit of a disconnect in the mids. I wish my ZMA wasn't in the shop, dropping that in would tell us if his speakers are holding him back, or if he just needs more horsepower. Late last night I listened to that Yellow Brick Road track several times, and I missed the air and big sound Rob has, but my dynamics and speed, even with a 17 year old 2 watt amp crushed his giant speakers. We'll diagnose his setup better on another visit, where I can bring the ZMA over, and Palomino can bring over his Monoliths. We'll see what combination works best in his room - I'd like to see him keep his giant speakers if they suit his listening style. But maybe he'll like a more traditional high efficiency two way - especially once we introduce some diffusers of his own in the room.

Quote:
Please give us some pictures to identify the patterns involved, will you?

I'll do better then that - I'll design them for you. You'll just need to figure out how to build them. I'm going to start another thread in the Room Treatment section of the Decware forum later this morning. I'll have some questions for you - and we'can use it as our build log.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #18 - 04/02/15 at 15:48:55

Fireblade - thanks so much for your feedback.  I won't be changing out my speakers any time soon but we'll see if another amp wakes them up.  I don't consider this a speaker sensitivity issue (options for improving upon 97db are limited anyhow), but rather that OBs are of a different animal vs box speakers and shoring up this weakness may require an extra punch.  

Quote:
For what it's worth, I replaced my DM945's (4 Ohms, 94 dB's) with Tekton Lore 2.0's (8 Ohms, 98 dB's). What I can summarize about the perceived change is this: Tangibly more dynamics, weight and power, with so much volume I can only go to 9:30 (max 10:00) O'clock now before I get ear-damaging SPL's, and this is with a 4.0 watts per channel Mini-Torii! Of course, I have a small listening room.

Quote:
but my dynamics and speed, even with a 17 year old 2 watt amp crushed his giant speakers

I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake getting rid of my Tekton Lores.  I replaced them with these OBs.  Maybe I just traded their problems for other problems and we can get this addressed with diffusion, but I'm feeling very remorseful at the moment.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 04/02/15 at 16:07:31

Quote:
I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake getting rid of my Tekton Lores.  I replaced them with these OBs.  Maybe I just traded their problems for other problems and we can get this addressed with diffusion, but I'm feeling very remorseful at the moment.

Oh, no no no! Don't feel remorse. It's only gear! And think of how involved the three of us were getting into that one track last night? Seriously, that was great music!

It's all about compromises and what works for YOU. I don't want to seem like I'm pushing the efficient two way thing on you - You've got something special in your room, but you also have to work with it's drawbacks. Like I said last night, if you did switch back to box speakers, I think you'd be on an uphill battle from where you are now. You'd still have issues, just different issues, and IMHO, different sound.

So we'll drop the ZMA in your setup and see if we can wake those big speakers up with more grip, but similar volume levels. And we'll also swap your speakers for something that Palo and I have in stock (and don't mind transporting - my Blue Zu are *not* part of the mobile lab!), but with your amp, and see what works for *you*. That will give you an idea of what directions you want to go.

All of that is also assuming we're using diffusers in your room. I have no problems bringing the mobile diffuser lab over for this future amp/speaker test to help you figure out your upgrade path.

This is exciting for me. Since I'm stuck with my crappy L-shaped room, I need to live vicariously through you guys with your dedicated rooms!

Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #20 - 04/02/15 at 16:26:37

Fantastic. I wish I was there. Thanks for all the great input everyone. I will be playing with the 2 pair PI diffusors I currently have. Greg at PI mentioned adding acoustic foam to the back of the panels and placing them a few inches away from the wall...perhaps something that may improve EQ ?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 04/02/15 at 17:27:56

Quote:
Greg at PI mentioned adding acoustic foam to the back of the panels and placing them a few inches away from the wall...perhaps something that may improve EQ ?

IMHO, it won't do a terrible bunch for absorption, because the waves really need to go through the absorber for a more broadband effect. But, it should help damp high frequency resonance inherent in the foam panel.

At least that's my speculation - I've still not received any measurements and specs from PI Audio. I'd love for them to measure the diffusers flat on a wall, and damped with a panel on the wall, as well as damped with a panel a few inches off the wall. Instead, we're going to have to muck around with this ourselves and see what we can figure out.

I'm working on damping my panels a bit this weekend. I'm hoping it removes the high-frequency hash I'm getting off these panels.

Again, good bang for the buck, great diffusion. But there is definitely something going on with the high end that I'm not sure I like. But for the money, I think everyone should have a couple of these thrown into their room! Seriously, 32 square feet of diffusion for $160 + $72 shipping is pretty amazing!

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #22 - 04/02/15 at 19:19:01

Quote:
The last two tests we performed were to see how big of an impact Rob could get if he only picked up *two pair* of diffusers (spoiler - it was enough of an improvement that he was ready to buy diffuses right then and there), and to see if the wood QRD 13 diffusers Palo built sounded better than the PI Audio foam diffusers. The result of that test was inconclusive; both diffusers sounded great, but different. The wood QRD 13 sounded "warmer" for lack of a better term. And the foam PI Audio diffusers seemed to diffuse better, but seemed to add more edge to the high end.

This was another "a-ha" moment for me.  In my mind I had previously thought of diffusers in a one-dimensional sort of way, with no consideration on how different types/brands of diffusers would actually sound different.  That they had that much impact in order to hear a clear difference between designs was stunning.  Honestly, based on what I heard there is no reason not to go out and buy the PI Audio ones straight away.  My system doesn't have tremendous amounts of high frequency energy so for me it was equally enjoyable as the "warmer" sound of wood, just different in kind.  

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #23 - 04/02/15 at 19:46:32

Quote:
Oh, no no no! Don't feel remorse. It's only gear! And think of how involved the three of us were getting into that one track last night? Seriously, that was great music!

It's all about compromises and what works for YOU. I don't want to seem like I'm pushing the efficient two way thing on you - You've got something special in your room, but you also have to work with it's drawbacks. Like I said last night, if you did switch back to box speakers, I think you'd be on an uphill battle from where you are now. You'd still have issues, just different issues, and IMHO, different sound.

Sorry Raven, I had a moment of weakness.  No worries, carry on!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #24 - 04/02/15 at 21:42:42

No worries brother - I just know I can come on like a freight train when it comes to audio. Especially when the system is doing a great job of proving my theories right! LOL

Deep breath! Enjoy what you have. Unless you win the lottery or get a big inheritance in the next week...don't worry about it. Enjoy it! Maybe figure out what diffusers you want to go with.

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/02/15 at 23:14:03

It`s all given me food for thought as well LR. Been doing a little digging. Is this about the blueprint for the diffusers ? 1 1/2" sq white wood. http://www.pmerecords.com/Diffusor.cfm
Or is your system different ? Maybe the wrong thread. I`ll check in to your `room treatment` thread for future progress.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 04/03/15 at 01:05:32

LR said:

I'll do better then that - I'll design them for you. You'll just need to figure out how to build them. I'm going to start another thread in the Room Treatment section of the Decware forum later this morning. I'll have some questions for you - and we'can use it as our build log.

Thanks for your kind offer. I'll be more tan willing to cooperate.

ProggRob said:

Fireblade - thanks so much for your feedback.  I won't be changing out my speakers any time soon but we'll see if another amp wakes them up.  I don't consider this a speaker sensitivity issue (options for improving upon 97db are limited anyhow), but rather that OBs are of a different animal vs box speakers and shoring up this weakness may require an extra punch.

You may be right, as I don't have experience with OB's, but, I thought about the vehicle analogy again, and to me, going from 2 to 4 watts makes a difference larger than the 1 dB diff in sensitivity, never mind the extra dB is also on this side of the fence!

I think there are wonderful speakers out there, but not all ready to tap the Super Zen potential, whether it is a matter of the nature of the impedance curve across frequencies or the lack of a resonant cabinet for most of the mid frequencies, an issue which may be critical at flea power levels. As LR pointed out, there are evident tradeoffs, but synergies are explainable through specs also.

I may be wrong.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #27 - 04/03/15 at 02:33:14

Fireblade said:

Quote:
I think there are wonderful speakers out there, but not all ready to tap the Super Zen potential, whether it is a matter of the nature of the impedance curve across frequencies or the lack of a resonant cabinet for most of the mid frequencies, an issue which may be critical at flea power levels. As LR pointed out, there are evident tradeoffs, but synergies are explainable through specs also.

I may be wrong.

I agree with you, Fireblade.  You raise a good point on the impedence curve, I may ask Mr. Hawthorne if he has one for me to examine.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #28 - 04/03/15 at 13:04:33

Quote:
It`s all given me food for thought as well LR. Been doing a little digging. Is this about the blueprint for the diffusers ? 1 1/2" sq white wood. http://www.pmerecords.com/Diffusor.cfm
Or is your system different ? Maybe the wrong thread. I`ll check in to your `room treatment` thread for future progress.

That's a 2D (2 Dimensional) diffuser - and they work well, but that's not what we're going to be working with here. 2D diffusers are quite lossy - because they don't reflect directly (but diffused) back into the room like a 1D diffuser does; they break up the sound and throw it pretty much everywhere. Which would be great if you were setup with wall to wall diffusers - That sound energy would eventually get back to you, via a secondary diffuser. But if you just throw a couple of those in a room, it's probably just scattering your sound into your absorbers.

The 1D diffusers keep all that energy in the room, and in an easy to figure out pattern. In fact, at frequencies above and below it's effective range, or at really hard angles, a 1D diffuser simply acts like a wall again. Very predictable. And if you wanted a little bit more attenuation out of a 1D diffuser, you could either angle it a bit, or add some foam strips to the bottom of a couple wells.

The cityscape style diffusers are however super, super easy to build. The QRDude software I mention in my other thread can also calculate 2D diffusers for you!

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #29 - 04/03/15 at 15:47:25

Ok, I managed to get a hold of an impedance curve from Darrell Hawthorne on my speakers' mid-woofers.  These woofers roll off naturally around 50-55hz and are gradually replaced by the Radian compression driver between 800-2.5k hz.  My interpretation: The impedance starts to get too high for a 2.3w amp shy of 1000 hz, and in fact is already about 10 ohm at 650 hz or so.  I assume the curve looks a lot better for the Radian in the transition frequencies, but I'm already starting to see how this may be something to address.  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/03/15 at 17:26:36

Raven, I am on my phone so I can't type much but you might address the difference in the sound scatterers I had at the secondary position versus the qrd13.  

The skyline diffusers are time consuming to build.  Easier than qrd but take as much or more time.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #31 - 04/04/15 at 23:34:38

ProggRob....

I can shed a little light on the Hawthorne Audio Trio's - I own a pair.  I have the std. PSI 15" coaxial unit in mine.  IME this coaxial driver and/or the xover are just plain ole relaxed, laid-back and forgiving - and there's nothing you can do from an amplifier perspective to inject more life, presence and rez into them.  I have tried everything from flea watt SET's, to my Decware Torii, to 100 watts of Cary tube power, all the way thru arc-welding Krell class A/B up to 1000 watt Class D amps.... the speakers only get so "lively" and I just can't get them to go any further.  
But boy... do I love the open baffle bass.  My man-cave is about 2400 sq.ft. with a 9 ft. ceiling.. and these things make not only "quantity" of bass, but quality of bass as well, like I've never had in my room before.  Quite possibly the best I've heard.
Because of all my experience with other speakers, and speakers I currently own(Decware DM945's, Vintage Klipsch Chorus II's, Martin Logan Vista's, 3 sets of Audio Nirvana full rangers, Zu Omen and Tekton Lore S', to mention a few).. I got an idea how to bring life to the Trio's, and have embarked on a "modification" to my Trio's that I think will take them where I want them to be.  But I think this mod may be a bit amplifier dependent.. we'll see.  I need about 1 good Saturday uninterrupted to finish them up and fire them up and see how they sound.  If you would like to hear about what I'm doing - send me a PM.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

!
Reply #32 - 04/05/15 at 04:47:33

MadDog, my long lost brother....

First a rant: I am annoyed that this forum doesn't email notify me when someone responds, even when I elect to.  Ugh!

I will PM you, but first a reply for the forum.  I have had a variety of amps as well, and until this last CDApS meeting I never doubted my decision to ditch more powerful amps in the Atma-Sphere M60, Coincident Dynamo, Red Wine Signature 15.  I felt for a moment that I was shortsighted, like I should've seen the lack of dynamics problem coming with 2.3 watts on tap, but your post makes me believe that I wasn't crazy.  However, I still believe that diffusers along with something like a ZMA would make me forget about it.

I'm in a weird transition period when one wonders how to improve things, but in my heart I know I love the way my Hawthornes sound.  And that bass!  I'm with you.  May I mention that I love how many speakers you have?  If only I could... maybe someday.  I had the Tekton Lores but I wonder how you like the Lore S compared to the others in your stable?  One of the reasons I unloaded them was I wanted a bit more refinement, more "hi-fi", which I bet the S version addresses?

Rob

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #33 - 04/05/15 at 15:57:16

Here's where we hosted the meeting.  Thanks Palomino for the shot.

NOTE: You'll need to scroll to see the whole thing.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #34 - 04/06/15 at 16:38:55

Rob, IMHO, the #1 thing I would try to address on your speakers, is the sibilance. I love the air and imaging those speakers have, but that sibilance of the compression drivers says anything but Hi-Fi to me.

My quick and dirty photo of your room - I tried for a panoramic, but I hurried it since we were packing up and heading out by the time I remembered to take a photo. Next time I'll do better.  :)

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #35 - 04/06/15 at 16:50:30

Thanks Raven.  I have thought about how to do this, and the best I can come up with is to try a different interconnect, likely from Triode Wire Labs.  This may ease that tendency, not to mention cost me very little to accomplish.  If you have other ideas please just let me know.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 04/06/15 at 17:40:23

Oh yeah, two other notes - I got word that my ZMA was a tube failure that took a diode with it. Only $80 to repair.

The other thing, regarding what Palomino mentioned above about the sound scattering devices vs diffusers.

Early on when i was trying to get Palo to test some diffusers in his room (I had already talked him into absorption panels), I suggested a half-cylinder style "diffuser" as a quick and dirty reflective panel. Something like this (from a Google search)

I use the term diffuser loosely with a device like this. It's really just a sound scattering device, and has no in depth mathematics or any timedelay. So it's fine for breaking up flutter echo or livening up a room, but that's about it.

When Palo installed a couple of these in his room, in addition to all the absorbers he has, he was able to place it to dial in this wall of sound with good, almost wrap around ambiance. When we added the foam PI Audio diffusers to the mix, we got increased micro detail and micro-dynamics, as well as all the spaciousness and wall of sound. It was quite amazing how all that detail came through, and that was only with two pair of Styrofoam diffusers. When we placed the poly-cylinder diffuser back in place, it just felt like that 3d space that was in the room, extending past the walls and around us, suddenly collapsed. It made us realize how much of a difference a properly build (even out of EPS foam!) diffuser is from all the pseudoscience "diffusers" out there.

It's a pretty huge upgrade for around $300! And took an already excellent room up to a whole nother level.    

In Rob's room, we put Palo's wood diffusers in the second reflection point, and got more detail, dynamics, and clearer bass. Swapping the PI audio Foam diffusers in their place, we also got more high end ambient queues, but also enhanced some sibilance (which I believe is in the room already).

As with anything else in audio, it all matters.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #37 - 04/06/15 at 17:51:52

Quote:
Thanks Raven.  I have thought about how to do this, and the best I can come up with is to try a different interconnect, likely from Triode Wire Labs.  This may ease that tendency, not to mention cost me very little to accomplish.  If you have other ideas please just let me know.

You wouldn't like any of my ideas. LOL

I'd probably be swapping out that tweeter - I'd buy some decent sounding but inexpensive silk dome, or the ribbon tweeter in the MG944 and seeing if I could mount it in place (in front?) of that compression driver.

I still want to bring over my MG944 and put them as direct replacement for your big OB and see what you think. I'll also have the ZMA back this week, so maybe we can have a brief, diagnostic CDApS meet?

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/06/15 at 18:00:14

Nice shot Raven,

Rob has me thinking about painting my room a dark color!

I'm game for a meeting.   I could bring the wood diffusers and Torii (although Rob is aiming higher with the ZMA).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #39 - 04/06/15 at 21:10:40

One of us.... one of us.... gooble gobble gooble gobble!

If he got a ZMA, you know what that would mean for you, Palo....so much for the kids college fund...College is overrated anyways!

We might have to change from Chicago Decware Appreciation Society to, the Chicago Decware Elitist Mystery Amp Society. Smiley

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #40 - 04/06/15 at 21:56:13

Quote:
If he got a ZMA, you know what that would mean for you, Palo....so much for the kids college fund...College is overrated anyways!

Well everyone, we've arranged another CDApS meeting for Friday, April 10.  I will hear the ZMA magic for the first time.  This is soooo dangerous for me.  I've already been scheming since last Wednesday how I buy one.  I seriously hope the changes I hear are minimal enough so that I'm not tempted, but I seriously doubt it.  Damnit.

Quote:
You wouldn't like any of my ideas. LOL

You're right, I don't!  :)  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #41 - 04/07/15 at 00:32:21

Quote:
You're right, I don't!  :)  

Dude, we gave you fair warning!

#1 I'm an enabler extraordinaire

#2 I trust my gut, and I tend to be right.

Let's see what happens on Friday. Palo and I are already planning deployment of gear - have the drop zone ready! aahhhh! LOL

Edit To Add: I'll hopefully be seeing (hearing!) what Steve has cooking in the lab! That's not good for anyone.  ;D

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #42 - 04/07/15 at 04:03:52

10-roger on the ranting... this site used to notify me of PM's, but hasn't for quite some time.  I checked my preferences in case they had gotten changed somehow(they hadn't) and added Decware as a trusted sender to my email provider... still no go.  I don't remember what domain forum PM email notifications come from - been too long since I saw one - they may come from a non-decware named domain.... anybody know?

ProggRob.... responded to your PM a bit ago

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #43 - 04/07/15 at 18:38:43

Raven, I'll be ready!  I have no problem getting input, the goal is to make my system the best it can be within a reasonable budget.  I hold no grudges and acknowledge that CDApS will be occasionally rife with temptations and peer pressure of both intentional and unintentional varieties.  Seriously, no problem.  

Regarding speaker modifications though, I really do not have interest, and here's why:

a) These speakers were thoughtfully designed and are loved by a great number of people.  I researched them heavily prior to purchase and it took a lot of effort/resources to purchase them.  Granted, they are not all things to all listeners (as any transducer or loudspeaker), but I will not write them or any of their sub-components off without giving due diligence and serious effort to provide the signal, positioning and room environment they need to succeed.  No defensiveness here, just being honest.    

b) Modifying speakers, crossovers, mounting things in strange and unintended places, is not my cup of tea.  I know nothing of electrical design nor do I intend to turn my Hawthorne's into a learning experiment.  The most I would do is replace the 15" woofer with a full ranger because it's straightforward and easy to accomplish by a layman.

With that being said, I cannot wait to evaluate the impact of 20x wattage.  I will soon need to define my personal price:performance ratio because aside from room treatments, cabling, accessories, improvements will NOT come cheap from here on out.

Rob

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #44 - 04/07/15 at 18:47:40

That's where you should be talking to Palomino - he had almost equal to sound, and much better soundstage than I do, for less then what I paid for my ZMA alone!

I'm pretty sure he's blown past that ZMA price point since then, but his system and room have also evolved.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #45 - 04/07/15 at 18:51:49

I have no doubt that we can collectively assist each other in economical improvements.  But perhaps Palomino would be a bit more helpful LOL

Relative to item "a" in my previous post, I also acknowledge that if I ever decided to unload the Hawthorne's, the market for 5.5' tall, 27' wide speakers with 1080 square inches of radiator surface is very small.  I best keep them as long as I can!

Rob

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 04/07/15 at 18:53:30

Including everything, including all my room treatments, I am now past the cost of a new ZMA.

When my kids say "Dad, what do you mean there is no college money left for me to go to school.?"  I will show them your picture.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #47 - 04/08/15 at 00:17:06

I share your pain ProggRob... and the realization that no one speaker is the perfect speaker for all rooms, all music, all personal preferences, etc.  I chased the "elusive ONE" for decades.  Finally concluding, it does not exist!  And therefore I now have 6 different main pairs of speakers that rotate in and out of the dedicated man-cave system depending on my mood and what music I'm into "at the time".  As I've shared with you before, I have some Hawthorne Trio's.  No plan to part with them, love what they do.  Also don't plan to part with my "stats" or any of my monitors.  I may part with the vintage Klipsch's... they don't do anything differently or better than some of my others, so no need to keep more than one sample of any particular "flavor"....  But I do have ideas developing on paper for two new DIY models to experiment with - Thanks to RandyinCaintuck.... !

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #48 - 04/08/15 at 04:31:57

Quote:
When my kids say "Dad, what do you mean there is no college money left for me to go to school.?"  I will show them your picture.

I'm just waiting for the time where the wives start saying "I don't want that Eric guy coming over here anymore...."   Grin

ZMA is back at the Raven's Haven. I'm just getting her warmed up again. I laughed out loud when Steve said he tested the tubes and the KT66 and one pair of input tubes was "on the weak side of good". Because you *know* I've had other tubes in here...how many friggen hours have I burned on the ZMA in the past year an a couple months!!

I have to say, I love the little Zen amp, she's got a special sound. But the ZMA just pleases me in all ways. Even at the low level I'm listening now, the "guts" and immediacy the amp has is great. Listening to some Mazzy Star as I've been in that mellow, melancholy mood lately and it's wonderful to have my sound back!

I did get a bit of a peek behind the curtains at Steve's shop. We mostly talked networking stuff - I think I may have talked Steve into getting a NAS. LOL  He's very focused on these new output transformers, the UFO ones he's been talking about. He's really excited about this and put all other projects on simmer while he's working on transformers. And yes, I already volunteered my ZMA for testing if the project ever grows that far along.

I also got a few minutes with the Decware DSD player - it sounds good, but I couldn't really evaluate it without a baseline listen with my demo tracks and/or direct comparo with my PS Audio DirectStream. From the few minutes of Reel to Reel capture I heard off SD, it had a lot of that liveness that I've heard from Tapes at Decware, but without the high end tizziness that a fast tape seems to have. I don't know of that's Steve's doing or just how it sounds on DSD. His white HR-1 simply disappeared and there was some great imaging between the speakers - probably the best imaging I've heard at his place in the past couple years of visits. No "wall of sound", but the tracks probably weren't conducive to that. I'd like to give his DirectStream player a better listen at a later date with tracks I'm familiar with.

Anywho, back to listening to my ZMA. Time to wind down a really long day.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 04/08/15 at 10:55:02

So glad your ZMA is back! I too love the sound of my little Zen, but similarly there is a magic to my Toriii that I just can't be without any longer. Just so full and real, and breathing deeply in a way the C can't manage.

Interesting first impressions of the Zen player. It's about what I expected. . . and I'm glad that you weren't just floored in the way when you first heard the tapes or that prototype amp. Maks me thnk the DirectStream is going to hold its own in front of Steve's player, or that I would prefer its signature. Hope you get to experience a real comparison in time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print