Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 03:43:59 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
April fools CDApS meeting (Read 145311 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: April fools CDApS meeting
Reply #100 - 04/15/15 at 15:37:14

I don't think the IV has the treble shunt which can be a critical component of single driver tuning.  I am not sure about the rest.  At the last fest, and the one before, I got hung up on the ZMA and didn't listen to the IV.

P.S. Listening to Buckethead right now.  I think I am becoming a Buckethead head.  At least their softer stuff for sure.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 04/15/15 at 18:46:36

And now Steve is releasing the Tori Jr in July with an ultralinear design and the UFO transformers at 20 watts just to keep things interesting.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #102 - 04/15/15 at 19:21:32

What? Another Torii? Junior? Ultralinear has always being a No-No for Steve, so I'm skeptical.

I was going to add, I feel the same way with my Mini Torii as Palomino with the Rachael. Its a little guy that can imitate any of the other players around, within its limitations, of course, and quite versatile with its flexible tube-rolling capabilities ...

I like transparency and dynamic power. So, a SET in the teen watts would be great for me ...

Ok, I just read Steve's message on the Ultra Linear, 20 watt new amp ...   mmhhh, I need to think about this, but it seems Ultra linear is everyone's approach to these things, so where's the magic? In the UFO transformers? Would that be enough?  

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #103 - 04/15/15 at 19:24:29

I'm with you on the SET monos, Fireblade.  I like having SET amps and more power is all I'd ask for.  At least, more than 6 watts.  If you're gonna do it, swing for the fences.

All I need is a cool $6000 to get them plus Steve's forthcoming pre-amp.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #104 - 04/15/15 at 20:45:36

USD 6,000 you say? What are those, non-Decware SET monos, I guess?

I would even consider a middle of the road Torii at just 12 watts, but with all its fancy sounding topology instead of a more mundane Ultralinear (ballpark figure USD 2,000.) Just sayin' ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 04/15/15 at 20:49:23

Palomino. The MKIV does have a treble cut, but starts at a higher frequency than the MKIII.

I can certainly can believe the Zen may be the most transparent Decware amp, but also, there are so many variables, it seems hard to isolate transparency and the rest of the beauty you all experienced the last session to the amp. As suggested, with my Toriis also, tubes alone make it a "different amp" in every aspect of the sound including speed and transparency, not to mention variables in room, cables, speakers, power, other noise killers, DACs.... I don't have anything in this system that does not change the sound.

I have had a Rachel, SE34II.2, and Taboo here, and even with serious tube adjustments (I have a large selection of each type except for power tubes for the Taboo), none really competed with my system tuned for the MKIII. I think "with my system tuned for the MKIII" is a big part of this. All the amps had a beautiful sound, and very nice transparency, but with my setup, I felt I was getting a better matrix of transparency, micro detail, and soundstage qualities from the MKIII... and with abundant power, dynamics, bass etc. The wild card for the Toriis here is bass. I need to fine-tune to get that ideal of bass speed, clarity and slam. And without that, the amp can sound notably less transparent due to the low end masking the mids and highs. Or should I say revealing rather than transparent when we are talking about things like layering. No doubt SE is beautiful, but a well tuned Torii is beautiful too and very revealing here.

I think the baseline of Steve's technique and voicing is so good we can transform any of these amps with tubes and tuning. But I do have a lot of tubes, and as Pal said, the Toriis have a lot of adjustability.

In the context of the Zen being notably transparent and revealing, the system you all heard first at Progg's, by reports, was rife with issues, considering amps, speakers and diffusion as popular potential fixes...Then with very little change in reflection/wave patterns, and source power, the next session it became a depressant for others it was so beautiful. This indicates the difficulty of isolating a speaker, source, amp or anything else... The massive synergy shift experienced after Progg's seemingly minor adjustments clearly include the Zen, but it was the same amp both sessions.

I am auditioning a used pair of Synergistic Research Element spk cables made with four wires of super pure copper, air dielectric, and an active shield (it Plugs in)... conceptually very revealing and musical cables. There are three little electronic "tuning bullets" that change the active shield somehow...the shield! Each has an audible presentation difference, from most revealing and extended, to more notably warm with less extension and softer/smoother highs. In-between is a rich and revealing, relatively neutral vibe, but notably rich...colored to me (though I like it). None are as "transparent" as the cables I had been using. Even the most revealing of the "bullets" in these warm cables make my amp sound less "transparent," though I may like them.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #106 - 04/15/15 at 21:05:41

Fireblade, I figure $1500-$1700 for each mono, plus another $1500-$2000 for the pre-amp, plus additional power cords and interconnects.  $6000 is my ballpark.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #107 - 04/15/15 at 21:19:10

Will,

I absolutely agree with you.  The "magic" can be attained with any amp in the lineup, but one must start with the amp they can afford and provides most of their wishlist, sonically speaking.  Referring back to post No. 98 I speak about building around the amp; albeit I didn't mention power or tube considerations as you just did.  Everything matters, as they say, and building the perfect system takes a LOT of work and experimentation as I'm sure you can attest.

I would take any Decware amp given to me and build a lovely system around it.  There are no duds.  And I certainly wouldn't pigeon-hole a single amp to being this or that, given the variety of factors.  What you've seen over the last 100 posts or so are general observations that may not be universally true, but simply what we heard with the time and equipment available.

Rob

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 04/15/15 at 21:56:40

Yes, I understand Rob. I just think in a forum like this where folks with less experience with the gear use it as a guide, it is sort of critical to keep clear with the amazing variability in systems, rooms, including Decware amps. And with stock tubes, they may not be just what we want, but may be able to be adapted, or as you have with your Zen, your system developed around the amp. I guess for me, the whole system is tuned to the Torii, but the Torii is also tuned to the whole.

Your system sounds like it is very nice!!! I have been looking at those speakers a long while but can't fit them here.

Looking at the layout and copy, I think the New Torii Jr is an integrated. "To get a TORII to fit into a smaller chassis like this, I will be building a single huge power supply instead of 2 smaller ones...."

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 04/15/15 at 22:18:59

I hear what you are saying Will.  I don't want to lead anyone astray.  I do think that the small tweaks Rob did allowed that transparency I associate with the Zen to come through.

The first time I heard a Zen was on a nearfield situation in Steve's amp building room with zero treatments, a so-so DAC and an iPod dock and thought to myself, "wow that is transparency."  Same situation later at home (same equipment actually) with Rachael and it just wasn't there.

Back in post #92 I attribute the magic to the synergy in Rob's system.  He has something special going there and I got that same Zen feeling again, only with layering in the depth of soundstage.  The big (little) change was on the DAC power source.

I do stand by my comparisons of the various amps,  but my post was more of a response to Fireblade giving us the business on our seemingly vacillating amp opinions rather than a desire to provide the definitive matrix on amp feature ranking.

I may be able to get that transparency out of the Torii III.  This amp continues to surprise me.  I hope I do and munch on my words.  Best crow I will ever eat.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #110 - 04/15/15 at 22:37:50

I think Steve needs to swoop in here and set us all straight.  Maybe he can provide us that matrix! Wink

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 04/15/15 at 22:48:30

Smiley Funny...every time I talk with Steve about amps, he implies nutters like me may just need a nice stable of Decware amps (and in my case, some more efficient speakers for anything smaller than a Torii), each doing their own things better...like what you are talking about Palomino with the Zen, and what I hear with the MKIV.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 04/15/15 at 22:52:09

I am becoming one of those nutters.

I am tasting some crow right now.  It's not the main course, but it's definitely an appetizer.  I just got a new digital coax from Stone and its increased my transparency and provided a much better grip on the bass.  The Torii continues to amaze.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #113 - 04/15/15 at 22:53:55

I think that's really hard to do, Rob - I mean, your system proves that synergy has a lot of say in the final sound of the system. I really didn't care for how the ZMA sounded on your big OB speakers, but the little Zen amazed me. Plugging my ZMA into the MG944, the bass was clearly weaker, but the ZMA simply had better synergy with my speakers. I don't think it was a preference thing, I think it was a synergy thing.

I know Steve has some guidelines - and I'm betting the Zen is top of the transparency food chain (ignoring the one off OTL which is an alien from another planet). A Rachel or new Torii Jr with UFO transformers might get closer, but then you put those transformers in the CKCS and the dynamics change again.

Just too many variables.

I really thought the ZMA had better transparency till I heard your CKCS on your OB. But then, that could change with yet another speaker/room combo.

Ugh, I could go around in circles all day with everything going on in my head. I'm still floored that those small changes made such a big difference.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #114 - 04/15/15 at 23:25:02

Yeah, the matrix comment was mainly in jest, but it would be nice.
Makes my head turn as well....

I'm kinda scared to change anything now.  I need to tread carefully here on out.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #115 - 04/15/15 at 23:45:00

Dudes…..  
You guys are going to go insane trying to “classify” Decware amps.  Zen trumps Torii in blah, blah, blah; Torii trumps Rachael in blah, blah, blah, ZMA trumps Torii….. you make it sound like we’re dealing with “absolutes” here – nonsense – we are not.  You are engaging in an exercise in futility.  ANY Decware amp can “get you there” when mated with a complimentary speaker and synergistic upstream components.  You just have to get the right combination.  Trying to “rank” Decware amps ? – it’s not possible without system context.  Steve will tell you the same thing – I’m not making this up – it’s not just my opinion – it’s the designer’s modus operandi..!!!
I ask Steve when I was comparing my Torii 3 to the demo Torii 4 at Zen in 2013 if the IV was also current source – he said “yes”.  What the IV lacks, that is an absolute requirement IMO, for obtaining audio nirvana with single driver , high-efficiency, full-range crossoverless speakers, is the treble shunt control on the III.  Yes I’ve heard all the Decware amps, owned three different ones, and I would not give up my Jupitered Torii III for use when it comes to full-rangers, which after 35 years of chasing the audio holy grail, I feel I have finally arrived at what has been a permanent destination for nearly three years(which is a freaking eternity in the audio evolution of components passing thru my system).  If there’s better attainable sound out there than a Torii 3 and crossoverless full-rangers – I haven’t heard it yet – at any price.  Course we all know this is 110% subjective…   But if you get a chance to hear a properly functioning Torii III and some full-rangers, with a decent front-end, do yourself a favor and have a listen…   It might just get you off the equipment merry-go-round… if, that is indeed your goal.  I have converted two of my local audio buds to Torii’s and high-sensitivity speaks.  One has a Torii 3/Decware HDT system now and the other guy already had Avantgarde Duo’s that he was driving w/BAT mono’s – which he sold them after hearing my Torii drive them and then got himself a Torii III.  I’m just saying….. to each his own, but expose yourself to as much as possible and then “pick” your sound and drive toward it… if you don’t have a chosen “destination”, you can never get “there”.  
Now go sit down in your easy chair with your favorite beverage, put on your favorite tunes, relax, unwind and stop stressing about audio component "absolutes"... they don't exist!!!   Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 04/16/15 at 00:29:34

Quote:
What the IV lacks, that is an absolute requirement IMO, for obtaining audio nirvana with single driver , high-efficiency, full-range crossoverless speakers, is the treble shunt control on the III.  

As I said, the MKIV has one, just covering less ground.

Quote:
If there’s better attainable sound out there than a Torii 3 and crossoverless full-rangers – I haven’t heard it yet – at any price. Course we all know this is 110% subjective…

It does not at all surprise me that the MKIII sounds great with the right single driver speakers, though in the context of this post, I get a sort of absolute and general vibe from this statement, especially with all the full range options out there. Are you using the 12" Anlico Audio Nirvanas and Augies now. I bet that is very impressive!

Quote:
if you don’t have a chosen “destination”, you can never get “there”.

The aspects of musical presentation are so vast, I have some touchstones, but mainly I just go for more beauty and never really know exactly how it will manifest. And when it really hits, it is just touching beauty...indescribable. Starting with good stuff and digging deeper seems to always lead to new places for me. I have had a basic thread though, with a couple quite similar iterations of Steve and Bob's explorations.

The challenges for me are two: that recordings are so variable; and that every time I seek and find a refinement, it all gets better! These keep my eyes and ears open for good value refinements.

I feel like everywhere I go these days is refinement though, not a merry-go-round. But I have been close to ordering some drivers and making a pair of speakers for a long time, and with your comments and others, I am getting closer. I appreciate that. Trouble is the way my system is now, I don't really feel the need! Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 04/16/15 at 00:34:41

+1  You are a wise man Maddog, entirely too much time spent obsessing about gear and not enough relaxing with the Music.  This is the only point of all this, after all.

I do wish Steve would have left the Bass and Treble controls as is on the Torii  MK IV.  I've even been very close to buying MK IIIs in the past but someone saves me by eventually buying them.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 04/16/15 at 01:27:03

OK,  just for the record.  This is from the Torii owners manuals...Hope it helps.  Mark.

Treble Adjust on MK IV
This control adjusts the high treble above 8kHz by around 3dB - although that figure can be higher or lower depending on the impedance curve of the actual loudspeaker the amp is hooked up to. The adjustment is intended to be subtle.

Bass and Treble Controls on the MK III
The treble and bass controls for each channel are less than conventional. The treble control is a simple shunt to ground meaning it's not in the signal path. It was designed to roll off the top end frequencies should they become too loud. There is no “flat” position of this control because it changes from one loudspeaker to another. It has to be set by ear. One way to do this is to simply turn it all the way down (counter clockwise)
and then slowly raise it until you're satisfied with the amount of treble.
The Bass Control is not a frequency adjustment as the name would suggest. Instead what this control does is allow you to adjust how much interaction your loudspeaker has with the amplifier. This works by placing the voice coil of your loudspeaker in parallel with the cathode resistor of the input stage in this amplifier. As the impedance rises the
gain of the amplifier is reduced in real time as the music plays. The control simply lets you vary how much this happens. The result varies widely from one speaker to another so again there is no such thing as a “flat” position on the control. In fact it can even work backwards with some speakers, so you simply have to listen and adjust. I usually start with the Bass Control fully counter clockwise and experiment from there.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 04/16/15 at 01:57:43

I, Palomino do hereby retrack my statements comparing Decware
amps.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 04/16/15 at 02:02:12

mmmm...Sounds like the beginning of a 12 step program for audiophiles.  Mark.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 04/16/15 at 02:10:46

I'm going to need a sponsor.  Can't be Raven!

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #122 - 04/16/15 at 02:22:50

Don't let 'em get to you Palomino.  We will evaluate all we want in the context of our own systems.  People just need to recognize that our statements are opinion and pertain only to the room in which we are listening.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 04/16/15 at 12:09:43

I'm so misunderstood!  Seriously, I think good points were made in the ensuing posts, but I again want to emphasize that my response started out as a somewhat tongue in check, rock paper scissors response to that trouble making, higher wattage SET seeker, Fireblade.  It was not meant as any kind of absolute, definitive amp selection guide.

Anyway, back to the treble shunt.  After messing with this for a couple of months, I think I know why Steve "limited" it.  I don't think anybody would use 3/4 of the range on the MK III.  It's just too flat.  Also, if you are not careful on the III to get the left and right side exactly the same, it can tilt your soundstage.

And back to the original thread subject, I am gearing up for the next CDApS meeting at my place.  I even swept the carpet.

I "think" I am getting pretty good sound and tamed my bass issue a bit but want outside confirmation.

I also took a risk and ordered an array of these diffusers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261833417920?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR...

They are based on the work by this fellow:

http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/

I have built a prototype of his stepped diffuser and it is by far the easiest to build of the DIY designs out there.  I only did a 2' version one night as an experiment so I can't really say how it works.

I was impressed by what Raven's styro diffusers bring to the table for so little money and having built a few diffusers (a pain), these seemed worth a try.  Plus I need to hang these on the rear wall and all these wood designs are so heavy.

He has a deal going on right now, where I got an array of 5 (stepped at various heights per the optimal design) for around $150 shipped.  It's an introductory offer as he is trying to build some cred on ebay.  

I have talked with him on the phone and he's a decent guy.  He's having trouble getting my order out due to some equipment issues but they should ship later this week.  He's going to send me a video of the CNC foam cutting machine creating a diffuser.  I am a sucker for videos showing CNC, 3D printing etc.  

Anyway, with these on the back wall, I think my room is pretty close to being what I can make out of it and will be anxious to see what you guys think.

Having heard both tlarwa's and your room Rob, the bar is high, but I hope to be up to the challenge.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #124 - 04/16/15 at 12:29:57

Hey Pal, I actually think Steve made the treble cut circuit change in the IV for circuit need reasons. But I want to say that I for one use the full range of the treble cut, I think the most that I ever have the treble up is 1/3 from full counter-clockwise. And I suspect that would be very different in a treated room, but I don't foresee being able to do any room treatments in the rest of this decade or beyond, so that's not a route for me. So I'm grateful every day for both the treble and bass controls on the Torii Mk III, they save my bacon and make digital possible for me. (I have less issues with vinyl).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 04/16/15 at 12:33:07

We want more!
Pals on home turf this time.
Augie blaugie.
Bat `em  off the park Pal.
Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #126 - 04/16/15 at 12:58:44

Trouble maker? Stressed out? I think the only people stressed over this are the ones complaining ... I enjoy (and is part of the hobby for me) to learn about the intricacies in the Decware range choices and experiences.

Right now, I'm torn between the UFO mod Super Zen and a refurbished Torii MKIII with Bees Wax Caps. The Mini Torii would still fit right into these to scenarios to complement either one.

Palomino, those diffusors look nice and are cheaper than the ones at PI Audio Group. Please let us know how these sound, as I'm about to order them too. I hope that won't be trouble making?  :)

One last thing: I believe in allowing people to express themselves as they wish, and to enrichen this forum with diverse points of view ... I just don't see why would anyone complain about things they don't care for, as if their views were universal ..  Man!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 04/16/15 at 13:17:36

Psssssst, buy the Torii on eBay.  It's a steal.

I am waiting on Rob to upgrade to UFO to hear it.  I may loan him Rachael to make sure he goes through with it.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 04/16/15 at 13:28:48

Fireblade,  I can't imagine not having both a Small 2 WPC Zen Amp and a Torii but if forced to make the choice you have posed...No question, go with the Torii MK III with Bees Wax Caps.

Also, not to get into another debate, but my post affirming Maddog's post, is an OPINION.  It was also meant to poke fun at those heavily obsessed with the minutiae...I hope it was taken this way. I wasn't complaining. Sometimes we should lighten up and not take this enjoyable hobby so seriously or the opinions expressed by those on the forum. Have fun, for God's sake!

I too enjoy reading all the posts of those who tie themselves into Knots looking for each subtlety.  I'm often intrigued with all the Audio prose...Will comes to mind...but sometimes it's Greek to me.  I'm just a Dumb guy who mostly listens and says...I like it or not.   Mark.  

PS...The Torii III on ebay is a bit over priced...I think it has bees wax caps but no where does he say this.  Also note it has the transformer for 8 to 16 ohm speakers rather than the standard 4 and 8 ohm version transformer...this may be great if you have 16 ohm Zu Audio speakers...not so great if you have Decware 4 ohm speakers.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 04/16/15 at 14:07:59

There was a III out there at $2150 with Vcaps just yesterday, I thought.   The $2850 one is overpriced.  Maybe I was looking at Agon or something.

mark58, guilty as charged.  Audio is a perfect hobby outlet for my constant need to improve things.  I got a little uppity at some of the comments with my declaration post, but I am (as my kids say) chill now.

Fireblade, I was teasing with the troublemaker comment, but you have to admit you like to put a little pepper in the pot now and again and make us think.

Lon, thanks for correcting the record on the IV treble shunt.  That's some serious treble shunting you are doing, but hey, whatever gets you to Zenzinatti.

Since I am in a proclamation mood, I will offer another one.

I, Palomino, Secretary/Treasurer of CDApS, do hereby swear to loan my blacktop, jup'd Rachael plus a set of Decware silver interconnects to Rob, a CDApS member in good standing, should he decide to go for the UFO mod on his Zen.  The term of the loan shall be the length of time his Zen is in the shop plus a reasonable number of days for the scheduled return to my massive Decware amp stable.

My only requirement in return is that he invites me back to his house to hear the most transparent amp in the Decware lineup (there I go again...can't help myself).

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #130 - 04/16/15 at 15:35:38

Quote:
I, Palomino, Secretary/Treasurer of CDApS, do hereby swear to loan my blacktop, jup'd Rachael plus a set of Decware silver interconnects to Rob, a CDApS member in good standing, should he decide to go for the UFO mod on his Zen.  The term of the loan shall be the length of time his Zen is in the shop plus a reasonable number of days for the scheduled return to my massive Decware amp stable.

Signed,
ProggRob, April 16, 2015

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 04/16/15 at 16:01:50

I think the feeling that "my system, room and tastes"  is a relevant common reference is an easy thing. It is for each of us. And that "my solutions are THE solutions," also easy, when it works for "me." This is such a cool thing the CDApS, you guys have loads references when you consider all that makes the sound, and with a common thread of Decware!

But also, I am really content in the solo journey. I enjoy lots of music every day, and enjoy the minutia of exploration toward greater beauty and refinement in this room. I like making adjustments because it makes the musical experience better, AND I really enjoy the process....no knot ties here in that.... It is carrying the deep creative process of Steve and Bob and the rest of the unrelenting explorers who made my gear, and making it my creative process. The distinction between interesting creative exploration for true beauty and obsession is there, and without it, we wouldn't have these amazing amps, DACs, speakers etc..

How far the the exploration goes for each of us is different, and we are all lucky, we can make great systems with stock gear. Then most of us mix and match to refine the system and room. I just like to go deeper and deeper as I learn, and instead of trading something that is almost amazing for me, but obviously has that potential, why not adjust/modify it if I can. Then many get into building gear to suit settings, tastes, and creative process...Luckily we can get really, really good with stock gear and stock solutions, but also with great starts, we can go as deep as we want!

In this, the complexity of music and musical instrument presentation is something that always amazes me. For retrieving the vast complexity of sound from any complex instrument is fun as could be for me, and then to have it work beautifully for the whole group on many recordings, aaahhhh, so beautiful...the music takes me away. Then a little shift here, leads to refinements that create a different expression of the beauty, a new variation of the expression in this room.

So the innate variables of how the whole expresses by adjusting with this or that tube, cable, speaker placement, noise grabber, fuse shift etc, opens new doors, and once it is all tuned, a new way of experiencing the beauty that is deeper than before. It is like a constantly unfolding puzzle that is always shifting, just like life. As we change, the puzzle changes, and as the puzzle changes we change....in this context, I see the system and room much like a living organism. The beginning is where I start today, no end in sight.

In time, these ongoing, deepening variations of beautiful musical expression  enliven and enrich my experience of the music I listen to.

This is how it is for me anyway.

PS: FireBlade...Speaking of the vast variations of how we adjust pieces of gear, systems and rooms...variations that can make the same thing different here or there....

I love my MKIII, but as Palomino points to, the MKIII can be difficult with bass. I would say these are not necessarily "his" bass issues, but something the amp can demand fixing in many rooms. Not everyone has it, but I recall your having bass issues with your system at some point so I wanted to mention it just in case. It may put you to work.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 04/16/15 at 16:27:53

Thanks Will for including us on your journey.  I appreciate your artistic approach.  Your post a few weeks back was great and gave me lots to think about.

I have done a couple of things to address my bass issue.  The most significant was removing the book cases in the front of my room.  There was a resonance between these that was causing big time bass bloom.  I measured it and can't recall how much louder the 100hz tone was,  but it was considerable.

So they had to go.  I don't know where I am going to put all my tapes and books, but they have been moved to the next room and current sit on top of an air hockey table.

I also have started to explore various cables (per member suggestions).  My first experiment was with a Stereovox digital coax I bought from Stone.  I wasn't expecting a great deal of improvement (and told myself I wouldn't gush), but its a considerable step forward in bass grip.  It does other things well, but in terms of bass, its very noticeable.

Last night, with both these changes, I played a particularly tough track from Beck's latest album and it was much more tolerable.  Not perfect at all, but when I played this for Raven a few weeks ago it was so bad, he made me stop after a few seconds.

So the journey continues.

If you guys want to see some real forum bickering, I would point you in the direction of the sailing forums I frequent.  Talk about salty dogs.  I actually don't go there much any more for this reason.  A sailing friend of mine lost his job a few years ago and is currently pursuing his own venture which is a forum software designed to foster productive, fact based & supported discourse.  I haven't seen it, but it sounds pretty cool.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #133 - 04/16/15 at 16:53:54

Quote:
But also, I am really content in the solo journey. I enjoy lots of music every day, and enjoy the minutia of exploration toward greater beauty and refinement in this room. I like making adjustments because it makes the musical experience better, AND I really enjoy the process....no knot ties here in that....

I was on the solo journey too Will before I met up with Palomino and Raven, but I enjoy it more with company.  Of course it was and will remain fun a solo endeavor.  Not everything will be accomplished with 2nd and 3rd opinions but nonetheless preferred.

I may speak for myself here, but I don't want have the "knot tying" exaggerated.  When you reach a certain level of sonic performance, discussing, identifying and exploiting the minute differences among equipment, cables, room treatments etc. are where all the time gets spent.  It can be frustrating when results aren't yielded, or your point of view gets turned upside-down, made even worse by the amount of money that gets spent!  You'll find some of that on this forum and perhaps more so in others.  But it is this worthy pursuit that takes a good system to great, and and great system to one with musical and emotional teleportation powers.  

I love being in this position, however, it isn't for everyone.  I will lay bare my audio obsession despite others who think I'm crazy.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #134 - 04/16/15 at 17:08:00

Palomino, I'm glad you like your new digital cable!  I'm a big believer in the impact digital cables can have.  I evaluated many last fall via Cable Co's Cable Library, and ended up with the High Fidelity CT-1E.  

This list of cables this one bested: Grover Huffman ZX+, Synergistic Research Element Series Copper, Snake River Audio Boomslang, Stereolab Master Reference 818, Shunyata Python.

The detail this cable was able to present is pretty amazing.  I think it enabled some of that layering to come through the Zen that you heard last week.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 04/16/15 at 17:15:58

Hmm, we may have to have a cable-off at the next session.  The one I bought from Stone was a little long in the tooth and thus not expensive, but consider me a believer.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 04/16/15 at 17:40:06

Jeeze everybody, too much focus! Turn off your amps and go outside for some fresh air! Cheesy

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 04/16/15 at 21:56:47

Fireblade wrote on 04/16/15 at 12:58:44:
Trouble maker? Stressed out? I think the only people stressed over this are the ones complaining ... I enjoy (and is part of the hobby for me) to learn about the intricacies in the Decware range choices and experiences.

Right now, I'm torn between the UFO mod Super Zen and a refurbished Torii MKIII with Bees Wax Caps. The Mini Torii would still fit right into these to scenarios to complement either one.

Palomino, those diffusors look nice and are cheaper than the ones at PI Audio Group. Please let us know how these sound, as I'm about to order them too. I hope that won't be trouble making?  :)

One last thing: I believe in allowing people to express themselves as they wish, and to enrichen this forum with diverse points of view ... I just don't see why would anyone complain about things they don't care for, as if their views were universal ..  Man!

I've thought about this a lot and out of the Super Zen and Torii, if I could only have one amp it would be the Torii.  Yes you may give up some SET magic, but honestly there are just a couple handfuls of speakers that 2 watts can drive.  So unless you have found your dream speakers and they happen to be really efficient and never plan on experimenting again than the Torii opens more doors.  

Of course owning both amps would be better! Grin

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #138 - 04/17/15 at 01:11:21

I know is not the same thing, but I already have a nice SEP (Mini Torii), so I would be giving out even less on that Torii choice ... Now, if I could invest what was going to pay for the P3 and find a nice refurbished, full warranty Torii MKIII with Bees Wax Caps, I would jump on it!

BTW, Palomino and Mark58,

I was also teasing ...  no worries!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #139 - 04/17/15 at 13:55:09

Man I love how this thread is growing - we needed more discussions like this at Decware.

Re: ProggRob UFO - I'm so glad Palomino offered up his (better!) Rachel for Rob to borrow in order to help prompt him to send in his amp. I was going to suggest that, but I've been too much the instigator as of late. Hell, I'll even drive the amp down to Steve for Rob at this point.  :)

Re: Cables - I'm a skeptic of digital cables making *that* much of a difference. But I'm also spoiled by a DAC that's pretty cable agnostic. Just like my ZMA is very power agnostic. I guess I made things easy for myself - as long as whatever cable isn't holding the system back, it sounds good. So I really don't see much of a lift when I make changes.

Re: next CDaPs - I'm really looking forward to listening to Pal's setup. I really believe he's got a talent for experimenting and adjusting. I come in to spot issues or verify a fix, and he just keeps working away at it till the next visit. Add on these new diffusers and I'm really excited to check out the room!

I think there was more I wanted to comment on...but I've lost track. I'm going to queue up some tracks and try out some new input tubes on the ZMA.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #140 - 04/17/15 at 14:13:18

Rachael?  Better?!  Haven't you been reading the thread, there is no hierarchy of Decware amps.   Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 04/17/15 at 14:15:48

I have learned the enabling game from a master enabler.  I only seek to pay homage to my Sensei.

I do have an ulterior motive though and that is to hear my Rachael in Rob's system.  Both of you have me interested in exploring this balanced input thing as well.  

A cable comparo would be easy to do at the next meeting.  Your DAC may be somewhat less cable affected, but mine definitely is not.  Either my old cable was pretty basic or this cable is pretty good.  Probably a combo.  After listening for a couple of days, I am thinking about dialing back the amp.  The dynamics jump out and whack you upside the head.  

Luckily I have this ol' Torii and can futz with it pretty easy.  I flipped the bias switch but don't know what I think about how it sounds yet.  I am thinking about going back to some more laid back rectifiers I have.  Then there are the comments about getting away from silver in my interconnects.  The thing is its not bright, its just dynamic, intense and detailed across the frequency range.

It may sound like I never listen to music.  Problem is I spend too much time listening to music.  But I also don't sleep 8 hours a night and I like to stay busy.

As Eric and Rob know, I am now messing around with a design that makes building a QRD7 easier and cheaper.   The jury is still out on whether this formula will really be a QRD7 for the masses as I had hoped.  But here is the tease...you can do it with a trip to Menards, $57 and a table saw.

Also, my Styrofoam diffusers should be here Saturday or Monday.  I will be hanging them on my back wall.  If they help my room sound like Eric's styro's did, my brain is going to explode with the combo of good diffusion and the way my system sounds right now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 04/17/15 at 14:17:08

The better reference is one has Jup's and the other is plain ol vanilla Rachael.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 04/17/15 at 14:25:57

Oh, and the other thing I have been trying is varying the gain out of the Mac Mini and the volume on the Torii.  I haven't had the time to work with this much, so if anyone can weigh in on how they do this to get the right dynamic balance, I am all ears.

And yes, I know I will no longer  be outputting bit perfect using gain on the mini.  So far, I am not too hung up on the bit perfect thing.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #144 - 04/17/15 at 15:06:00

Well, you saw what an issue *not* being bit perfect caused before - so feel free to go down that road, but I'd rather avoid it if I can. Hopefully it works out for you. That's another advantage of the Decware DAC, which is probably why I'm biased towards always bit-perfect.  :)

Hey Rob, you do anything with the diffusers I left over there?? Or is that why we've not heard much from you lately?  :)  Thoughts?

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 04/17/15 at 16:08:11

The issue before was due to monkeying with Audirvana setting.  Once I went back to the defaults, everything snapped back into place.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #146 - 04/17/15 at 21:22:31

Everyone enjoy the get together this weekend. I am enjoying this thread and look forward to your ongoing experiences!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #147 - 04/17/15 at 21:36:01

Acetone, no CDApS meeting this weekend.  My other thread alludes to a friend just getting into high end.  Raven and Palomino don't know him yet, but I'm grooming a future member.  He's just not ready for our level of intensity, LOL.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 04/17/15 at 22:09:42

I reached out to another Naperville guy to see if he might want to join.  He had a Torii at one time and I got to know him when he was selling.

Anyway, on the bit perfect thing.  I am too lazy for bit perfect as I would have to get up and adjust the volume on the amp.  I listen to too wide a variety of music in a session to jump up and down.  I'm a plopper.

I have become a dedicated SD card person.  Much bigger soundstage versus the external drive - even when I run that external drive on a battery.  Audirvana on RAM disk and music on a 32GB flash drive.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 04/21/15 at 18:18:21

Just an update on my diffuser experimentation.   As I mentioned earlier, I purchased these diffusers at the promotional price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261833417920?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR...

They are based on the work by Tim Perry:

http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/

I received them yesterday.  They were packaged in a pretty cool way and arrived unscathed.  These are made from a single block of high density polystyrene using a CNC hot wire cutter.  After they are cut, they are then primed and returned back to the block they were cut out of for shipping.  Pretty clever.

I purchased an array of 5 for the back wall of my room.  These stepped fractals benefit from and array of 3, 5, 7 etc.   Currently they rest on a desk/table in the rear of my room.  I will hang them once I paint them.  They come with screws and wire to hang each one.

I have not spent a lot of time with these, but I can say they exceed the dispersion capabilities of the 3 QRD diffusors I previously had on the rear wall.  Soundstage is wider and walls disappear a little better.  They also diffuse the high frequencies better allowing better separation and more detail to come through.

The range on these is supposed to be from around 500Hz to 3Khz+.

I thought I also sensed a touch better bass definition, but didn’t think that could happen given the range.  Then I received a note from the manufacturer stating the following:

Also I am doing some research on them and since the panels are made of a homogeneous, light, substance they have clear resonances if they are made to vibrate. This frequency varies on the thickness of the panel but the test panel I have had a clear resonant frequency of 65Hz (plus smaller ones at 38Hz and 210Hz. This is kind of cool because this means that the diffusers, especially when hanging on the wall, will absorb some low frequency by converting the wave energy into heat (vibrations in the actual panel). I am not sure if the effect will be noticeable but low end modes are also a big problem in small rooms so it can't hurt.

I tried my newly made “budget” QRD7s (to be discussed in another thread), in the front of the room to compliment these and did not like the result. I did like the 7’s in the back of the room (part of the 3 QRD I mention above).

At the next CDApS meeting, we’ll experiment with placement of my growing diffuser collection and report back.

I think these are definitely worth a look.  Especially if you have room for an array.  There have been three people provide feedback so far.  The deal is extended to the first 5 to provide feedback.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print