Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:24:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Herbie's Spike/Cone Gliders (Read 5863 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Herbie's Spike/Cone Gliders
02/23/15 at 12:34:35

Hi!

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

I need some orientation about these Cone-Spike Gliders to be applied under my floorstanding speakers' spikes, on bare tile floor. I want to move the speakers about some more and I don't want to scratch the floor since my rug does not cover the extremes of my listening room.

Has anyone tried these and would these also bring about any further value added in terms of isolation other than protecting the floor? I have seen similar discs at Amazon for a fraction of Herbie's prices but those would only protect the floor and seem too slippery.

Thanks for any opinions.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Herbie's Spike/Cone Gliders
Reply #1 - 02/23/15 at 13:00:09

I can't directly give my experience as i've used both the isolation bases without the gliding portion for the spikes on a Mapleshade Samson rack onto carpet, and the gliding feet without the insert for spikes on a cedar TV stand and as speaker feet.  The gliding material works very well for accurate and mar-free sliding of speaker or stand. As for isolation benefits. . . possibly, hard for me to tell as I have many layers of isolation between components and stands, and the speakers I used these with (Decware RL-2) had down firing woofers and the very height of the pieces altered the sound a bit, making it hard to know if there was additional sonic change from the isolation.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/15 at 14:23:06

I believe Lonely Raven has these and could probably comment.  I  borrowed them for awhile, but used them without spikes so really can't comment much.  I did feel that getting my speakers off the ground helped, but that's about it.

They do make moving/positioning speakers quite easy on carpet.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 02/23/15 at 15:51:17

I have them in both Brass and Titanium - and honestly, I hear very little improvement.

They are awesome for sliding the speakers around without damaging the floors though.

Keep in mind, while they look like the off-the-shelf floor protectors (which they are) they are filled with Herbie's damping material, then use a metal (I think the choices are Brass, Steel, or Titanium) to help sink your vibrations into the damping material from your spikes.

Like I said, I saw very little improvement, but I admit I've not given them a fair trial, nor have I done a more recent with/without test now that my speakers, amp, and DAC are broken in, plus the new resolution on the latest DirectStream firmware. So maybe if I gave them some time now I'd actually notice something. I also don't have the best spikes out there...they are simply threaded steel spikes from china and nothing special.

Again, awesome for protecting the floor and/or sliding around.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 02/23/15 at 23:03:20

Thanks for the inputs. I was trying to find out if the price difference between the regular Amazon speaker sound discs (USD 29.00 ea, black or brass) and Herbie's (USD 16.89 ea, brass), was worth it. Tough call!

I guess I'll go with the regular Amazon units, even though someone complained these may be too slippery! I'll use the savings in a couple of Hospital grade power cords.

I'm sure the isolation effects under components using Herbie's coned discs must be tangible, but less so under the weight of a floorstander. Unless someone in this forum has had bad experience with the Amazon's I'll settle for those and solve my problem.

Thanks again.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #5 - 02/23/15 at 23:11:50

No change in sound that I could hear!  I bought them to help move 55# speakers around on carpets easier. Really did no help there as much as I wished. So, have sold them (brass) and made 1" Thk MDF boards with 4  3" sliders glued to the bottoms.  This is making moving on carpet much easier. Will put isoacoustic speaker stands (ISO L8R-200sub) under the speakers for isolation soon. Demo at Namm show sold me on these.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 02/23/15 at 23:22:32

Sounds like a solution, Acetone. Since my need is limited to separating the speakers further back and towards the side walls, out of the thick rug these are currently sitting on, the spikes plus discs are a good solution and will still keep the de-coupling from the bare floor (tile over concrete).

Thanks for the pointer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print