Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 15:34:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Sound of Audio Amp: Can you hear a difference? (Read 2405 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

The Sound of Audio Amp: Can you hear a difference?
02/21/15 at 13:21:23

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: The Sound of Audio Amp: Can you hear a difference?
Reply #1 - 02/25/15 at 16:41:57

Honestly, the Rod Elliot article heavily quoted throughout the Audioholics article is much more down to earth than the contributions from Audioholics.  

As I read that, my mind kept interjecting "some ancient alien theorists say..." before the Audioholics parts,  as a bunch of nonsense and anecdotes followed.  Note that when comparing a ss Kenwood to a tubed Dynaco, they report differences but no mention of output impedance or other factors which would provide a reductive, defensible explanation for the difference.  Way to 'pursue the truth', Audioholic nitwits!  It all seems geared toward spreading FUD in the service of selling expensive class A amps (Gene Delasala has a $20K Pass Labs amp in his rig, reports all sorts of things based on sighted eval comparisons, but refuses to apply even a single blind, level matched comparison).

Elliot hates tube amps, particularly of the single ended variety, but don't let that prevent you from reading his article.  It's full of insight.  Having engaged in one of those horrible ABX tests, and having dabbled in DIY, all my experience is in sync with Elliot's piece (except my soft spot for single ended thermionic goodness).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print