Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 00:59:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got a Torii mk3, but no audio... (Read 8851 times)
Bios24
Verified Member

Just got a Torii mk3, but no audio...
02/21/15 at 02:58:32

Just received a Torii mk3 from a seller on Audiogon. Came with Pelican case and extra tubes. Got the tubes installed and plug everything in... and no audio. The input/output tubes light up within a few seconds. The rectifier and regulator tubes do not light up. I've swapped the rectifiers, OA3's, and OC2's with other the included spares. All the same result. Only input/output tubes light up.

Thoughts? Could this simply be bad tubes? Is this a sign of a deeper problem?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Just got a Torii mk3, but no audio...
Reply #1 - 02/21/15 at 10:41:50

Sounds like either BOTH rectifier tubes are caput or there is something deeper going on. .. . (The OA3s won't come on if the rectifiers don't, but I don't think it's vice versa).

I'd give Steve a call. . . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 02/21/15 at 16:39:55

Yeah, give Steve a call. Is this an actual Pelican case, or just a look-alike. Because (IMHO) only the real Pelican cases do the job. Those tubes might have gotten mucked up.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/15 at 16:52:46

If it was the pelican case as mine was sent in,  the tubes don't fit and would have had to be sent in a separate box.  Your situation is perplexing since it's both sides not working.  I too would think rectifiers but both going bad at once...odd.  If everything lit up and you got no audio, I'd think you needed to switch the source tab  but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Lon and I have both had rectifiers that needed to be wiggled to get a connection.  I solved this problem with a different set of rectifiers.  Steve can get you straightened out. Good Luck.  Mark.  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 02/21/15 at 18:42:55

You've heard it before, call Decware/Steve. the Zenmaster knows all, he designed this gear. Get it running and then chime in on the forums. Happy listening (when it gets running), Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Bios24
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/15 at 19:10:09

I'm definitely going to give Decware a call on Monday. The amp was shipped in a real pelican case, with all tubes shipped separately in a double-box. So everything was shipped as safe as possible.

I agree that it's odd that both sides aren't working. Being a dual-mono design I would expect a bad tube to show up on one side of the other. I've swapped out all the tubes I can, so it must be something with the amp. Sounds like something with the rectifiers. If the rectifiers supply power to the voltage regulators that would explain why they aren't powering up either.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/15 at 21:42:26

I also bought my MKIII on Agon and no workee. My embarrassing mistake was putting the tubes in the wrong position before startup. Fried the tubes immediately but not the amp, built like a tank.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Bios24
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/21/15 at 22:24:59

lLance- I owe you a beer. I triple checked the configuration, and I had the 5U4 and OA3 tubes in the wrong place. Swapped the around, and everything worked like a charm. Luckily I didn't blow anything. Just happened to have the right tubes in the wrong place and they didn't power up.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 02/21/15 at 22:29:50

Awesome, great news, I hadn't thought about that. Welcome to the Torii club!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/15 at 00:05:04

Someone didn't consult the owners manual when he set up his Amp.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/22/15 at 03:38:21

Bios24, glad I could help. Now you get to find out what great sound it makes. My used Tori 3 is the best bang for my audio buck I've ever experienced and I bought my first amp 40 years ago.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #11 - 02/23/15 at 19:04:12

I was on my way to Bios24's place with some rectifiers when he called to say he figured out his problem.  We talked about tubes in the right places on the phone early on, and he thought he was good, but his impatience got the best of him I guess(sorry T.)  
He has heard my Torii on his HDT's and other speaks at my place, which is what sent him on the quest for a Torii in the first place.... he has seen the light..... we have a new Decwarian in the ranks!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print