Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 11:58:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO... (Read 8744 times)
Auguie

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO...
02/16/15 at 21:44:19

OK..Ii just listened to Whitney Houston ON THE RADIO and was brought to tears.  I may be old, but I can hear emotion, quality, and passion in music.  This is the reason I listen to MUSIC!!!  It moves me...It changes my attitude...IT MAKES ME ALIVE!!!  What are you listening to...

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO...
Reply #1 - 02/16/15 at 21:59:11

Hey Dan,  there's already a thread for posting what you're listening to.  It's call "What's Spinning" and currently has 6948 posts.  Come on over and join the party.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1236824329/6948#6948

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #2 - 02/16/15 at 22:12:23

Yea...I thought about posting there, but my point is how the MUSIC MOVES YOU.  I know my reactions to music, all kinds, can be different, but the emotion is what MOVES ME.  What is it about music that MOVES YOU!!!  I got into this hobby because of the equipment.  Now, I listen BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC. Radio, CD, LP, it's the music that makes me want to listen.  WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO LISTEN...

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/16/15 at 22:21:32

I can see the distinction. Perhaps the thread could be renamed "What music moves you?" or "What in music moves you?"

I've been into music since before I can remember. My parents were into music, and I had grandparents who played music for me on strings and things. The hobby for me grew from a need to try to get closer to the music when I quit playing music with others when I got married.

The last two years I've been listening to a lot more classical music because I spend more time at my parents' house than anywhere else, and Dad loves classical music. I've come to really appreciate and be moved by classical music as never before, and it has made a lot of pop and rock music seem like candy to me as compared to the classical which seems like a real meal. And cello playing in particular has really moved me. The sound of a cello, properly reproduced (and of course live) really reaches me and plays with my emotion.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Auguie

Re: WHAT MUSIC MOVES YOU...
Reply #4 - 02/16/15 at 22:44:34

Lon...great observation...WHAT IN MUSIC MOVES YOU...WHY DO YOU LISTEN...as I stated before, music is what moves me to listen.  I guess it always has, but it's just been recently that I've realized it.  I have invested a lot of time and $$ into this hobby, and I guess most of us have, but it's the MUSIC that moves me.  Weather it's my dedicated system, my burgeoning foray into headphone listening, my radio listening in my living room, or my car...MUSIC MOVES ME.  It makes me want to listen.  so I ask again...WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO LISTEN!!!  WHAT IN MUSIC MOVES YOU!!!

Dan

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/16/15 at 22:51:17

I find much of the time my emotional connection or impact is related to how the music was connected to my life when I first heard it.  God help me if it had to do with a broken heart!  I still love some pretty silly stuff since I would listen to it with my daughter when she was very young.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6 - 02/16/15 at 23:01:16

Dan,  the emotion that a well played LP side can draw out of me is what keeps me coming back nite after nite.  It's the Wow factor that the waves of sound, beautifully recorded and played back, can bring me. Some nites it's just Wow that was beautiful, and at other times it's emotional to the point of a tear or two. Many LP's / songs are tied to life events and bring back great memories too....There are so many factors involved that I am sure we all have had common experiences with music. In my case listening and in participating with band mates.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #7 - 02/16/15 at 23:19:09

Archie...life will always influence our emotion.  Many times, music excites emotions in my life...past and present.  But music almost always brings out emotions I have never felt before.  Favorite songs, old songs, NEW SONGS, elicit an emotion in me that I sometimes can't explain.  it's the reason I listen.

Acetone...I agree that LP's have that special quality to them that draws emotion.  But I fell ALL MUSIC can and does draw emotion in us all...albeit some forms more that others.

I guess the best way I can explain how I feel is an aviator I use at work.  It's an old time gramophone record player with the caption "I LOVE MUSIC".

Dan

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/16/15 at 23:34:55

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 02/17/15 at 14:21:40

Auguie (from the top post). I have Whitney's debut album on vinyl and her 2nd. Sometimes I just grab it/them, put it on an crank her up!

My huge Polk SDA SRS 1.2's are to be appreciated with Vinyl (especially using the SDA: Stereo Dimensional Array function)...even if I'm running that System in Solid State.

Clive Davis is the cooool man. 

Music moves me so deeply, I actually involuntarily hum a lot...kinda of a internal vocal scat. When my kids were little they would get such a kick out of this...... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #10 - 02/17/15 at 23:23:08

Stone...I owned a pair of Polk bookshelves a long time ago, monitor 5A's I think, and LUSTED for SDA's.  Even then, the music moved me.  Today, I find it very interesting that I am still moved by music of all kinds, even music played on the radio through a modest receiver.  My point is, music is the reason I pursue this hobby.  As I stated before, I love music...all kinds, and that's why I pursue the best reproduction of music I can afford.

Dan

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 02/19/15 at 17:56:31

Hey Dan, the SDA function is fun to listen with Solid State. I enjoy my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's for 2 channel with my HSU MBM for: HT/DVD/Blu-ray, Serius Sat. radio via Dish Network, TV/DVR and of course, my Vinyl Rig. Using the TV Speaker's makes me want to puke.  ;D

My Listening Room is all Decware 2 channel! NO SDA needed with my Vintage Polk SDA 1's...(run in Stereo only).

I hear you, I love all different kinds of music too which keeps me entrenched in this hobby. Now, I'm going to play around with some A to D recording an D to D with the new ZDSD. W/Plus, direct playback from Transport through Steve's Output Stage an my Upsampled/Recordings.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3