04/27/24 at 03:12:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Ghost In The MP3 (Read 3834 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

The Ghost In The MP3
02/19/15 at 23:18:46

I found this really interesting.  It’s a song made with only the sounds that were left out when compressing Suzanne Vega’s “Tom’s Diner” to mp3.

Stop and listen to this for a few minutes and we find out why MP3 sounds so "tin can" like when compared to another lossless format such as FLAC or AIFF.

The Ghost In The MP3

Beyond just creating a great new genre of ambient ghost music, the piece makes a few interesting points. First, these are real, actual sounds that your ear can easily hear. You don’t have to be some snobby audiophile asshole. The sounds are perceptible even through crappy MacBook Air speakers and earbuds. Hm.

And yet we still have people out there arguing the MP3's are all we need. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: The Ghost In The MP3
Reply #1 - 02/19/15 at 23:32:34

They didn't exactly mention *what* compression they used, did they?

The Pro-MP3 crowd would simply say that 320kbps has solved that.

That sound is pretty gutted sounding. That itchy dtdtdt tchtchtch dtdtdt chtcthct is what I hear when I listen to MP3 on my system. It's not something you hear really, but I feel it like a millipede crawling down my neck.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/15 at 23:38:40

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 02/19/15 at 23:46:04

Always remember, for most Americans? If it makes noise it is good enough. They will spend days researching a clothes washer but have tin ears for sound! Music is just passive for most, even when they think they are actively listening?!

We have the passion for it.  That is why I always bust friends chops about their 12k snowmobiles an 8k 4 wheeler's! Dollar for dollar I get more enjoyment out of my Audio then they do....their machines are always just sitting on their trailer's the majority of the year!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3