Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 09:47:57 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 80762 times)
NormD
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #550 - 11/09/18 at 03:10:19

I learn something new every day.  I'll pull the tubes and take a look one of these days.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #551 - 11/09/18 at 15:34:53

I looked at both my Tung Sol KT66s (2004)and 7581As (2012) and they look completely different inside.  Also the bias window for the 7581As is wide and goes into the 80s.  I don't remember the KT66s going that high but it's been years since I had them in.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #552 - 11/09/18 at 22:35:55

LR wrote:
"Sorry if I stepped on your d**k there and got you all bent out of shape"!

No need for sorry. I had that coming ~ touche'.

Very interesting info and appreciated.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #553 - 11/10/18 at 07:18:13

Archie, cool, that's what I was trying to investigate. I think there is a difference with the newer tubes, but photos online aren't helping to prove or disprove this.

Does your 7581A innards look like this pic, or does it have 3 holes instead of 2 squares?

I know for a fact the older 7581A looked just like the KT66. I'm betting that now they look more like the KT88

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #554 - 11/10/18 at 14:42:12

The bias window is enjoyable Arch. Thank goodness, they sound nothing like KT66's or my KT88's. Interesting though, the innards might be KT88 stuffed in the smaller envelope. Cool, if so. .....all about the sound and they are special in the ZMA. IMO.

I look forward to hearing the 7581A's with my ZMA 25th. Also, Archie, was it you whom mentioned with your 25th, KT88's are running the power trannies cooler too? Subjectively, to hand touch. I don't believe you said you measured the temp. If bypass is bringing 88's more in congruence .....all for that!
J of A, have you noticed this? I would like to not be reticent about the KT88's and really enjoy them. However, if I never put KT88's in my ZMA again. I can be happy with the other three quads I roll and will find a fourth quad I bet.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #555 - 11/10/18 at 17:44:25

LR,

My Tung-Sol KT66s from Steve look just like yours.  The 7581As have 3 holes but the grey thing (whatever it's called) is a completely different shape.  I don't have any Tung-Sol KT88s to compare with but given the high bias, maybe you are right?  Although plate dissipation should be the same between the KT88 and 7581A.

Stone,

I think the 7581As with bias set to 68mA are running cooler compared to other tubes with bias set mid 50s and pre-mods.  All purely subjective but J of A measured a 5 degree temperature drop, I think he posted.

I hope you get your ZMA back before you have to pull the trigger on the Rachael.  It might make you change your mind.   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #556 - 11/10/18 at 18:03:17

Hi Arch, Timeline on the Rach' bypassed would be next Sept/Oct for order. Right now the ZMA 25th'd and its enjoyment. ZBIT in February too, coming.
Plus, Steve's Power Conditioner 10 Amp.

Good news on the 7581A's running cooler. Should bode well when I get the 88's in. Yes, the high bias of the A's like a 88 could be 88 in there. The 88's like the 66's though, stay in a tight margin bias, as where the 7581A's have a beautiful swing Bias I love to utilize.
Even if the 88's don't run cooler trannies... still will use for 4 to 6 hour sessions. All day on my other quads of course.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #557 - 11/10/18 at 22:43:33

I'll be digging out my IR Thermometer as well. I have some of the new 7581A on the way, and I'm listening to NOS GE 7027 right now. I'm hoping I like the new tubes as much as you guys do. The GE seem to be throwing a very large image compared to the stock KT66.

Beatles White Album (Super Deluxe 2018 Mix) spinning now.

I got some unusual preamp tubes on the way - I'll share what they are if they work well in the ZMA.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #558 - 11/11/18 at 17:33:30

LR, look forward to reading.

I'm suffering. My ZMA has been gone 8 days. I usually get a great Saturday morning and Sunday session in. Well, you guys suffered 3 to 4 weeks...so must I.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #559 - 11/11/18 at 18:03:01

I totally understand that feeling Larry, I've been through it before. Be strong! You'll get through!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #560 - 11/11/18 at 22:12:34

Hey Guys,
Sorry for the late reply..  been one of those weeks.

Yes, based on my random observations using my IR thermometer, I do believe my trannies are in the ballpark of 5 degrees F cooler after power supply mods.

Still have my Phillips ECG N.O.S. tubes in play and digging them tremendously. Even found a single for sale on Ebay to replace the one tube gone bad in one of the quads I purchased.  So, now I have a full backup set again.

LR, I can’t speak to the GE’s but this Phillips set of 7027A’s are my favorite tubes I have rolled thus far. I have not tried the 7581A’s though, to compare.  It seems there may be some similarities in SQ between the 7027As and 7581As based on Stones and Archie’s observations. The 1 and 6 pins of the 7581A’s and 7027A’s are unused, but unlike the 7581A’s, those pins on the 7027A’s are tied to the screen and control grids - therefore acting as heat sinks for improved heat dissipation.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #561 - 11/13/18 at 21:25:21

So true Lon, you've been thru it a few times.

J of A, cool! A little lower temp on my Cryo'd GL KT88's will be nice. +, the other quads.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #562 - 11/18/18 at 00:25:29

How about some old Brimar KT8C tubes for the ZMA?

I got 12, randomly grabbed 4 and put them in the Mystery amp, and they were within 5% of each other!

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #563 - 11/18/18 at 20:01:56

LR,  I saw your tube reply in the other thread but I figured this is a better place to continue.

Those Brimar KT8Cs are interesting.  What class of tube do they correspond to, if that makes sense?  There aren't many listed on ebay and they aren't cheap too!

Do you have a ZR2?  With a ZR2, I'm wondering if the other tube bass might catch up with the KT8C or if the KT8C bass might go through the roof!  (or floor)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #564 - 11/18/18 at 23:10:07

Archie,

These tubes LR pictured look like variations on British KT66 and Brimar 807s, Brimar 807s looking like some Russian 807s. When you read up on them, this makes some sense. Here is one explanation of the KT8C http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aab0080.htm

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #565 - 11/19/18 at 00:13:14

Cool, thanks.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #566 - 11/19/18 at 21:12:23

Yes, what Will posted.  These set is supposedly the very last of the KT8C done to Milspec for the British Navy. The note that the seller found in the box of them said they are direct replacement for the Ceramic versions and to bias like KT66. They are ruggedized with ceramic standoffs in the structure and (obviously) the classic curvy "coke bottle" shape vs the larger KT66 shape. Milspec typically requires smaller, ruggedized versions of our audiophile tubes that bias up lower and are pre-matched in batches so once the equipment is biased, the radio tech can just swap out tubes quickly and get back to work.

I'm typically really skeptical of tubes that are "milspec" unless they come in large batches and are re-matched. So I was very pleasantly surprised when I grabbed four from the 12 I picked up and they were so closely matched I hardly had to tweak the ZMA. Usually I'm balancing each pair (on the ZMA) for 2-3 minutes as they warm up and tweaking the overall bias. With these, they warmed right up, settled, and were all within a half-space of each other on the gauges. I sat there gawking for a minute waiting for something to change, then laughed and went to listening.

I don't have a ZROCK, I tend to be a purest and go as direct as possible, so I'm XLR out of my DirectStream directly into the ZMA XLR. The DAC is at 100% and I use the attenuation on the ZMA which is typically at 85% all the time, though with these tubes I lowered it a couple times during my listening session! LOL

I do have some Milspec CV124 which are the earlier versions of these tubes that are much more like the 807 tube. These KT8C sound similar, but BIGGER. I'm listening to the CV124 as I type this in fact.

Later this week I'll have different adapters in hand, and I'll be trying out some 6BG6GA, some of which are supposed to have the same guts as the 7581A that Jeff likes.

Speaking of, here is a tip for those of you looking to try out the Phillips ECG but can't find nor afford the 7581A - look closely as these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Eight-Heavy-Duty-JAN-6L6WGB-Tubes-By-Philips-USA...

These are the Phillips ECG 7581A guts stuffed into a smaller "ruggedized" envelope and relabeled as 6L6WGB for military use. I was told by some old timers that they might not get the full 35watts of dissipation due to smaller envelope, but they are basically the same tube as the 7581A. The link posted above is a rare find someone should jump on!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #567 - 11/19/18 at 21:55:22

Is there a secret magic password trick to getting these NOS boxes open without tearing the damn flap?  I've been taking a butter knife and carefully prying the flaps open and still tearing the bastards. Grrr.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #568 - 11/22/18 at 19:38:05

The tubes burning currently are GE Blackplate 6BG6GA on 6L6 adapters.

This was like finding a nice smooth set of $250 GE Blackplates. Although this quad is poorly matched. I have 8 more to go through and might need to mix and match them for better balance. If the ZMA didn't have the bias balance and gauges, these would be difficult to use. But hey, GE blackplates for the cost of a nice dinner, cool!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #569 - 11/26/18 at 21:31:45

I realized I had posted this in another thread when asked about the tubes, but didn't post it here, so this is me quoting myself on this thread I've apparently killed.   Tongue

Quote:
This weekend I swapped through Tung-Sol KT66, Tung-Sol 7581A, GE (NOS) 7027, 63PS-E coin base, and a well matched quad of '73 KT8C.

I wasn't super thorough and my room still isn't properly treated since installing the new hard floors yet, but my two favorites are the 7581A and KT8C.

The 7581A I biased at 50ma, then 60ma, and topped off at 64ma like Jeff mentioned earlier in this thread. They seemed the most even across the board and nice harmonics. Reminds me of the KT66 but on steroids.

The KT8C had bass that put all the others to shame in a big way, but the treble was a little etched. They only have 3 hours on them so I hope they will calm down with a few more hours. They bias up really low, and started sounding good at 40ma and *appear* to sound louder than even the 7581A...but I think it's just a trick of the huge bass and extended treble.

I forgot which set of tubes it was, I'll be going through them again once I get diffusers in the room, but one set had amazing upper bass that was tight and detailed and made everything pop more, but didn't have the huge, deep, tight bass of the KT8C.

I still have other tubes to try out, but they are in storage, and I'm waiting on more adapters to show up. Eventually I'll post a separate thread with my thoughts on all these.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #570 - 12/17/18 at 17:35:30

NORM! Help! Grin

Talk me out of some Mazda's & Amperex by noon 12/20. Brent's shuttin' down till the 14th of the new year!
http://www.audiotubes.com/

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #571 - 12/17/18 at 19:02:34

Stone:
Which tubes are you considering?  I may get some myself!!

If you think I’m going to talk you out of getting tubes, you must be hallucinating. Heck, you started me down this rabbit hole! I still have the 7027’s staring at me every night asking when they will get tried in my ZMA.

Have a great Holiday!

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #572 - 12/18/18 at 16:11:54

GrinNo doubt, I'm guilty, I did start you down this rabbit hole, didn't I?!

I'm going to hold off for now. I need to figure my budget after the new year. I have a couple Decware products on the build sheet, I need to factor in. However, I think I'm going to grab a matched pair of 6N5P's from Steve next month........... .

You too Norm, have a great Holiday!

If I did not buy/tweak with another thing.....I'm very happy with my Decware/Kimber Select/Acoustic Zen Adagio/System of bliss! The glass is more than half full.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #573 - 12/18/18 at 16:15:15

I’m still enjoying my 7851’s but I have made some significant and noticeable upgrades in my sound lately. My first change was plugging my ZMA back into my P5 regenerator. The second was to replace my DHC-1 with a AC12 power cable as recommended by Lon; that upgrade was a shocker especially in the bass extension. The third was replacing the hard rubber hockey pucks back under my speakers. I moved them to reroute cables and decided to try without them - big mistake. My listening room is on the second floor of a 1890’s farm house with wood floors. The construction was not as solid as today’s. The hockey pucks seem to decouple the speakers from the floor resonance and my bass and clarity were restored. Cheap upgrade and I may try some under my ZMA and regenerator.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #574 - 12/21/18 at 01:00:38

7581A's are wonderful. In Ron's honor/tribute tonight, I have my Gold Lion cryogenic KT88's in. Absolutely magnificent with the ZMA mod's. Subjectively running cooler~no worries.

Shout out to Will. Thanks for getting me off the Pangea once again, from the wall to my P3. My Kimber PK 10 Palladian from wall to P3 is spot on with no thickness in the low end with my ZMA mod's topping off the cadence speed with dead nuts PRaT. I do not regen my ZMA, it runs off the HC outlet of my P3 with an XLO Pro Series Hubbell to ZMA. I do regen my Transport and ZDSD to perfection.

To top things off, I tried to dethrone my KS6063 again. Well, once again it didn't happen. Other Speaker cables have smear that the 6063 eliminates by design. .....nough said.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #575 - 12/22/18 at 14:56:36

Norm, it is amazing how cables matter. You know when it's right. You, with your AC12 (your Morrow cabling too=you know). Me, with running my Palladian from wall to P3 and then XLO to ZMA (more detail about it in my last post above). Plus, my Kimber Select and Shunyata.

Furthermore, hockey pucks under your Speakers. I just changed my Signature below, recently. In that sig, for years I used Vibrapods with Large Tiptoe Spikes, to good effect, under my Speakers! I need to try your hockey pucks. Do you have them under the Spikes to floor? If it render's more solidity for me, will hear? My girlfriends nephew has a bag of used ones I bet. State of Hockey here and all.

Eric, when you are ready, please give more about your tubes/output and input. Plus, LR, PLEASE DUST YOUR ZMA MAN. THE PICTURE ABOVE WHEN I ZOOM IN ON IT....WHOA! Shocked Grin Cheesy I know it sat for a long while, cause you were playing your modified C. But, please! Smiley  I realize that pick must have been taken before the Mod's.... With that Adam's Family layer of dust on that one Tranny! Cheesy Mortisha and Gomez would be proud. ....given' you sh- -! Smiley

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #576 - 12/25/18 at 23:14:12

Actually that last pic is after Mods. I guess Steve didn't go over it with the paintbrush duster, and I haven't in a while. With all the projects/construction going on, this place is always dusty (shrug).

Still haven't settled on tubes yet - currently using KT8 output with some mix of input. the KT8 are the real stars.

lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #577 - 12/26/18 at 00:28:40

I have never listened closely to a ZMA and understand where it sits in the DECWARE hierarchy but, with so much and frequent talk of tube rolling I am a little perplexed. Does Steve not put really great tubes in it from the beginning? It would seem completely out of character if he did not. Guess I have not been in the family long enough to understand.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #578 - 12/26/18 at 02:00:55

Joe,
The tubes that Steve provides are generally new production tubes or plentiful tubes that have not been out of production too long, tubes he can obtain and resupply, and tubes that owners can find easily and for the most part cheaply. (In more recent models such as the ZROCK2 and the 25th Anniversary Zen Amp Steve has provided carefully selected new old stock input tubes that really work well in the units, a bit of an anomaly or a new trend with Decware).

The truth is that the Decware amplifier topologies are so well thought out and laid out and implemented with such quality wire and parts that the nature of a tube is truly revealed, and as a result these amps can be tailored to suit one's taste or room or source material by tube-rolling. It's certainly not neccessary but it can certainly be educational and fun and lead to some fantastic sound. Some of us who have really been into our Decware components for years have gravitated towards tube-rolling and a few have insisted on not tube-rolling.

It's a testament to the quality of these amps that many tube-roll and discover the many possible sounds these machines can usher into our listening worlds.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #579 - 12/26/18 at 03:28:27

Stone:

I tried using spikes initially directly on my wood floors. Since I sanded and refinished them my self, I was not at all pleased with the divots in the floor. I then tried putting the speakers with the spikes on the hockey and directly on the hockey pucks and I can’t recall if I heard any difference but that was so many changes ago. I just use the pucks under my speakers without the spikes and I have no resonance that I can hear and I do have surprisingly deep bass now with the 25th Anniversary mods.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #580 - 12/27/18 at 20:38:39

I'm going to try the Pucks Norm, thanks. My last experience with the 28lb each Vibrapods x 3 under each speaker worked very well.

I played around with polarity with my speaker's the last couple of days. I swear when in the mood for some Rock; it's better or just different moving the driver's in reverse excursion.

Now, back to normal polarity and enjoying my NOS Tungsram 6922 input tubes today with my Gold Lion Cryo KT88's. THE NOS Telefunken's for inverter's. Yes, the Mod's are excellent and I'm running 3 out of 4 mod's/sans Nich'es.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #581 - 01/02/19 at 22:24:46

Stone, do you feel that changing the Inverters makes a big sonic change?
I love Telefunks for the air they give the sound, but I didn't really feel like they had an impact in the PI position. Mine were well used hand-me-downs, and are long since burnt up - so I can't test them in the PI currently.

That said, I have discovered a stash of gold pin, milspec Mullard like the ones that you and I like and bought 7 of them! I'm expecting to keep 3 or possibly 5 and sell the rest (odd number because I like them in the likkle Zen amp too!). I've already got two I'm using now in the ZMA. I sure hope they are long life, because I can't afford these every year or two! LOL

How many hours do you think you have on the ZMA, post mod?  I've been listening to my Zen again, but am going to go back to putting hours on the ZMA now that the holidays are over and family is out of my house. LOL

HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #582 - 01/05/19 at 01:32:25

I am interested in what folks are using as preferred tube compliments for the 25th Anniversary modified Zen Mystery Amps. I realize there are only a few modified units out there right now, with many still "burning in".

I will be sending in for the "full monty" modification once Steve gets the new Nichicon capacitors and wanted to stock up on some additional tube sets during the wait.

So what's your favorite combination of:

Output (Power) Tubes -
Phase Inverter Tubes -
Input Tubes -
Voltage Regulator Tubes -

Thanks in advance for joining in the conversation. I currently use 6N5P triple mica inverter & input tubes, Sylvania JAN OA3 voltage regulator tubes. On the output power tube front, using New Sensor Gold Lion KT66 and more recently enjoying Tung-sol 7581A tubes. Wondering about picking up a quad of Gold Lion KT88's to take for a spin.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #583 - 01/05/19 at 14:57:44

LR, I have 168+ hours on my ZMA Mod's. Loving it.

The Telefunken's are my constant inverter's. The whole tube compliment shines with them as PI's, with all I have rolled.

New year and some recent discoveries and decisions I have made. Opening up my ZDSD, when she goes, I'm using the onboard output trannies for my next DAC. No need for a ZBIT that I would run wide open anyway.
(NOTE: If I did not have a form of the ZBIT to use in the future, I would be getting the ZBIT/yes it is that essential IMO).

Another discovery, ...my Kimber PK 10 Palladian from wall to P3 has been a revelation! "Kimber's engineers developed a special SWR (standing wave ratio) enhancement technology, which dampens electrical standing wave reflections. This proprietary technology has permitted the creation of an AC power cable of unmatched clarity, silence and freedom from grain."
Not B.S.
I now only regen my Transport. The Line Conditioning the PK 10 provides from the wall to P3, allows me to run the Line Conditioning Shunyata cord I run to my ZDSD off the P3 HC outlet with my ZMA being fed from an XLO Pro powercord from that same HC outlet! So, no need for the ZLC.
(NOTE: If I did not discover/create IMO, with my PK 10, as described and connected as above stated.....I'd be getting the ZLC).

This free's up 1400 or 1500 + 1000 for the XLR needed to the ZBIT + 400 saved....... the Red Mallory's are just fine with the other three ESSENTIAL Mod's......for.................................drum roll Wink:
NOS TUBES!  When Brent's back open for business, I will be getting some from him + Kevin at UA too!  
I will report back in 2 or 3 months or so. The best NOS tubes money can buy are truly my passion now, with my System nailed down.

I just wish this all came to fruition for me before I slapped down two deposits equaling 150. But, those are the rules and I will stay in good standing for when I buy a pentode in triode from Steve in 2020 or 21. It will be an addition. My ZMA only leaves when I'm dead.

+ moving to the Rio Grande Valley in 5 months. No more snow/cold/mosquito's/tornado's.  Maybe just a hurricane! You get warning for these....so I can grab my ZMA and financials and run further inland to Austin. Cheesy

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #584 - 01/05/19 at 17:40:31

I put my 6P3S-Es back in and I have to say, they really are my favorite.  I also just bought a new quad from an ebay seller.  I don't have them yet but they were a real bargain.  Here's the link if anyone want to try these tubes and not spend much money - or get a backup quad(s).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-QUAD-6P3S-E-6-3-E-5881-6L6GC-TUBE-ROHRE-VALVE-R...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #585 - 01/05/19 at 18:23:33

Love the 6P's Arch. I have my KT88's in today. Four different Amps with 88, 6P, 7581A's or 66's.

I have NOT tried 7027A, KT77 or EL34's yet. Before, DOING these I'm going on my input tube penchant. Expensive NOS, BUT they will disappear ....so word to the wise. Supply.......
Or I should say, the NEW New Old Stock will disappear. JUNK, with 3000 to 5500 hours already on them can always be found on eBay. Their are new tubes on eBay ....just NOT NEW NOS....at their best.

Don't even waste your time (or $) with NEW New Old Stock Input Tubes/if you're not:
In a room acoustically treated @ 12 x 13 by 9' high
You need to run your source direct to Decware/ZMA with needed and appropriate output voltage
NO SMEAR Cables....KS6063 do not Smear
+ Underhung Driver's & one of the best Tweeter's in the world doesn't hurt either.....Modified, single capped.

Okay, the above is pretentious. However, I don't want to stir anyone the wrong way into NEW NOS input tubes. IMO, I like to get close to their signature with minimum in the chain. .....have been known to put a Pre in the chain from time to time though. Smiley

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #586 - 01/05/19 at 18:28:23

I learned to like those too. Sold my Torii Mk III this last week so I have a few sets of these that I'll probably post for sale soon as I no longer have an amp using the big bottles (I've fallen HARD again for the sweet petite tubes the Zen amps use!)

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #587 - 01/06/19 at 15:37:46

HK:

In my 25th Anniversary Mod ZMA I am running:

Power tubes:  7581's are the winners so far and I have not taken them out for quite a while.  I tried the KT66's and KT88's and the bass was very strong but the midranges and highs were not as clear and crisp as the 7581's. I also have tried the 6P3S's but I prefer the 7581's in my system. I have a quad of 7027a'a that I have yet to try after I settle down with my cabling and power regenerator.

Inputs:  Telefunken E88CC's but I will roll in my USN 7308 Amperex's some time in the near future.  I also have Ediswan CV2492/6922 which I like a lot.

Inverters: Telefunken E88CC's, but I may roll them out with something else and save them since this position is less impactful than the inputs.

What has made a tremendous, and surprisingly so, difference is upgrading my power cables to PS Audio AC12's and replacing my PS Audio P5 regenerator with a P15. Both have made a huge improvement that I am going to enjoy for a while before I roll any more tubes.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #588 - 01/06/19 at 16:31:39

Thanks Norm. Interesting that the PS Audio P15 and power cord made such a beneficial contribution. I directly plug a top of the line Furutech PC (ZenWave Audio) into a Furutech GTX receptacle at this point. Happy listening to your system.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #589 - 01/06/19 at 18:00:57

I'm on a tube rolling quest Norm!
You're chilling with your P15/AC12 for awhile - that is cool.

Starting this week, when I have some time to pick up the phone to B Jessee Recordings.

I'm starting with:
Cca (ultra premium 6DJ8/6922) Siemens, made in Germany, 1970's, most with A-frame getter, gold pins.MATCHED PAIR
The Cca is one of the "Holy Grail" tubes in the 6922/7308 family, and Hear what a real German vintage Cca you have been reading about sounds like, at a very attractive price compared to the older versions. Very nicely matched pairs, supplied with test data.probably the best audiophile 6DJ8 type ever made, at any time.

I have been pleased with the Mulls, Telefunken's, Ediswan's and Tungsram's I own!  Hope I can continue batting a 1000. If not...a kick in the shorts losing 35 cents (on average) on the dollar occurs in selling them.

and/or the

7308/E188CC (ultra premium 6DJ8/7308) 1970-1972 Mazda France made for RTC and R/T, DIMPLE DISC GETTER, gold pins, rare.MATCHED PAIR
Gold pins, RTC or R/T label, very low noise, sweet like the Amperex with better dynamics. Made for exacting ORTF French Broadcasting requirements, many marked ORTF. These have the best price on a genuine NOS Philips-Owned factory made 7308 pair. These are VERY scarce in the USA, and are an excellent value when you compare this price to the prices of the Cca tubes. Very nicely matched pairs, supplied with test data.

Next month I'll take a look at what uncle Kevy has left. Man, did you see he went nuts on the Telefunken's ......glad we got them at 300/pr and tested Platinum. ....not....tested good on eBay  ;D

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #590 - 01/07/19 at 00:19:48

Hey guys, I finally put in my 7027a’s into my 25 Anniversary ZMA biased at 60ma and they are now my favorite tube. The dynamic range and clarity seems to be tad greater than the 7581’s.

https://www.vivatubes.com/new-current-matched-quad-4-jj-electronic-7027a-7027-va...

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #591 - 01/07/19 at 00:36:36

Okay Stone, you're up!   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #592 - 01/07/19 at 00:43:49

Looks like a quad of 7027a's are in my future😊. Tung-sol or JJ's? I recall the JJ's seem to have quality/reliablilty issues. I think TAD also makes a heavy duty 7027a tube.

HK

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #593 - 01/07/19 at 00:52:29

I have the JJ’s as in the link above. I’ll look at TAD as I have always been happy with them.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #594 - 01/07/19 at 02:29:15

Quote:
Hey guys, I finally put in my 7027a’s into my 25 Anniversary ZMA biased at 60ma and they are now my favorite tube. The dynamic range and clarity seems to be tad greater than the 7581’s.

The 7027A's have, and continue to reign supreme in my system.  Mine are the NOS Jan Phillips.  Pricey, but worth every penny.  Can't speak to the other new production iterations as I have not had them in my system but it seems they are carrying the torch quite well!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #595 - 01/07/19 at 14:59:17

Batter up Batter up!  ...to funny Arch Grin

Okay, okay, peer pressure...I'm ordering the Tung-Sol 7027A's from the tube store. 35 watt dissipation on the A's = we got to love it. I'm holding off on my Brent Jessee tubes for awhile. Sticker shock and all... . I have a nice bevy of NOS input tubes to keep me busy (still), with the: 6P's, 88's, 66's, 7581A'a and soon the 7027A's.

Plus, reconsidered my ZBIT and ZLC.....getting them. I'm just to curious of both not to keep on order/dink around with them for 6 months or so and see if they are staying in the Listening Room. I should have my ZBIT next month and the ZLC late March/early April.
My Kimber PK 10 Palladian from wall to P3 has been a revelation. Look forward to running it from wall to ZLC. Wink

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #596 - 01/07/19 at 15:36:34

Ordered: 7027A's Tung-Sol.

I'm sticking with the T-Sol family with these = hardy.  JJ's scare me/only have read horror stories about them and some little positives.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #597 - 01/07/19 at 17:09:36

Stone, I thought you had a set but hadn't put them in.  I might have been thinking of Norm.  I'm with you on the Tung-Sol.  The 7581As are so nice that I'll bet the same for the 7027As.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #598 - 01/07/19 at 19:54:19

Yes, that was Norm. I've been dragging my feet about them for some time.
FedEx ground.....I should have them by Thursday or Friday and put a good seasoning start on them.

Have T-Sol 7581A's in with Tungsram inputs. I love these inputs because they are the 180 of my Mullard's and Ediswan's. When I want that...I got it. Sweet and extended they are. The price of these went up too since I got mine. So it is....half dozen of one and 6 of the other. Cheesy
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/tungsram-6922?var...

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #599 - 01/08/19 at 15:12:56

Hamilton, ON to me....supposed to be out for delivery tomr, latest 8pm. I love FedEx for 9.95!  
Always, a kid in a candy store, when new tubes are coming. Smiley

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063