Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 08:56:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZSTAGE instead of CSP3 into ZMA? (Read 651 times)
bloodlemons

ZSTAGE instead of CSP3 into ZMA?
01/13/24 at 03:32:32

Will someone here please explain to me why running a ZSTAGE into my ZMA to boost the input level isn't a more direct and cleaner way to boost the overall volume with as short a signal path as possible? If running the system with the ZSTAGE sounds good and gets loud enough, what about the CSP3 would be superior (other than the inputs/headphone out, etc.)?

It probably sounds like a stupid or crazy question, but I can't help thinking that having only one single tube between my source and the amp should result in a cleaner signal than running the same signal through all of the various components of the a CSP3 before hitting the amp.

Thoughts? It seems counterintuitive that I would be right about this.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Re: ZSTAGE instead of CSP3 into ZMA?
Reply #1 - 01/13/24 at 03:47:37

The answer is clean headroom, isn't it?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/24 at 12:33:56

Depends. I had a Zstage and it did not provide clean headroom. It left it's own signature. Muddled the sound. Since it was sold a CPS2+ was added and the SE84 volume pot was remove. The options with the CSP2+ outweighs any muddling it introduces.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 01/13/24 at 15:33:06

I have had both a ZStage and a CSP 2+ and liked them both.  If I had to choose between them, I would go with the CSP 2+ as its contribution was superior in my system.  I'm sure the CSP 3 must be similar, perhaps better but I have not had that unit. Someone mentioned earlier liking the simplicity of the ZStage, and that is a point to consider.  I think one would need to listen to both, then decide. That is what I did, and for what it is worth, the preamp was preferred.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #4 - 01/13/24 at 17:20:47

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'm on the long waiting list for a CSP3, so I'll eventually find out either way. I suspect the advantage will be the ability to increase apparent volume without adding apparent "gain."

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 01/13/24 at 21:09:06

The ZSTAGE was my first piece of Decware gear I bought over 10 years ago.  Mine had the upgraded beeswax caps, and I have to say mine gave me clean gain.  It worked great with my Torii and even with my Vinyl rig.

I just recently sold my ZSTAGE and upgraded to the CSP2+ with 25th Anniversay mods.  The added gain of the CSP gave me more flexibility with my vinyl setup, in addition to more options with tube rolling.  The ZSTAGE is definitely more of a purist and simplistic gain stage.   Like a Tony said like them both, but after having my CSP I would never go back.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print