Send Topic Print
Recommend to Me (Read 38453 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Recommend to Me
07/10/14 at 22:41:51

OK - here is what this thread is about. We've got a wide variety of musical taste in our group, and we have some guys with expansive collections and album knowledge. I've created this thread to help keep the What's Spinning thread for drifting too far off course. That's also a great thread for "discovering" new tunes.

So this thread is dedicated to asking someone to "recommend something to me".

For example -

Someone says, I like Portishead, are there any other bands out there that sound like that? I would probably respond with CallmeKat

Help each other out - if you're asking for something like something else, then provide a link to the song or album for those who maybe aren't familiar. Maybe hearing a You Tube clip will make someone think of a band they are familiar with that suits what you're looking for.

Feel free to use this thread to try and find tunes you might need help figuring out - for example, if you know the artist, but can't find the tune. Or which version of an album that's been pressed and mastered in many variants is the "best".

I figure between the What's Spinning thread and this Recommend to Me thread, we can help expand our horizons musically.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Recommend to Me
Reply #1 - 07/10/14 at 23:25:20

This idea sounds like Music Map.
http://www.music-map.com/
Try it out.  Type in a group and it will display groups that sound like them.  Don't know how up to date it is.  It did know both Portishead and CallmeKat but didn't think they were a close match to each other.

I have a suspicion its a great idea but the results may not be all that great.

Dan

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/10/14 at 23:41:57

If you like Portishead, also check out Blonde Redhead ~ 23.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3 - 07/11/14 at 04:26:05

This is genius, thank you LR!

Looking at your guidelines made me think about Pink Floyd and which version of their albums sound the best to folks outside of maybe the original pressings....are there Hi-Res versions out yet that maybe I'm unaware of?

I have some PK on CD and it doesn't sound very dimensional and I'm SURE it can sound better than that! I'm forgetting which version of the CD's I have (not near my collection to check).....definitely not the latest ones that came out (2011 remasters). Been thinking of buying some of those from amazon and checking them out, but a positive recommendation would help encourage me for sure.

I WILL get the latest version of Division Bell Remastered from the original tapes that was JUST released....probably get it on vinyl Smiley

This could end up being my favorite thread on here depending on how folks contribute to it Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #4 - 07/12/14 at 08:47:10

This is one of my favorites .....

Rusalka by Dvorak

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuNqcKUxto&autoplay=1

I could set this on auto repeat the whole day....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 07/12/14 at 14:17:08

Quote:
If you like Portishead, also check out Blonde Redhead ~ 23.

Thank you for that. I grabbed the exact album your linked to and I'm listening to this now.

OK, here is what inspired the Recommend to Me thread, and what I'm hoping some of you can help me with. I love the female voice, and on my system, harmonies are truly amazing - so I've been gravitating to a lot of vocal harmonies lately. Could you recommend something to me like like this?

The Wailin' Jennys - Summertime?

http://youtu.be/ddDgLs6-3IY

I seriously get shivers every time I play this one! The rest of their stuff is OK, but they crush it on this one. I'm looking for more!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/12/14 at 16:02:08

Eric,

You may find the audio quality challenging, though with the DS it may be more than tolerable. . . but check out the Boswell Sisters. They are the bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boswell_Sisters

http://theboswellsisters.com/

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 07/12/14 at 18:53:04

I know the Boswell Sisters well! They inspired the Andrews Sisters! I think I have Andrews in my library, but not Boswell. I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the reminder, Lon.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/12/14 at 22:46:37

Quote:
LR said,

The Wailin' Jennys - Summertime?

http://youtu.be/ddDgLs6-3IY

I seriously get shivers every time I play this one! The rest of their stuff is OK, but they crush it on this one. I'm looking for more!

The Wailin' Jennys are cool, also try the Secret Sisters, I love their song Tennessee Me:

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/12/14 at 22:48:36

Also check them out live ... yes that's T-Bone Burnette.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/12/14 at 22:51:07

LR,

Great thread, thanks. If you like female vocals, check out China Forbes on Pink Martini's "Hey Eugene" disc. The first track, "Everywhere" is one of my reference tracks, but pretty much any song off that cd is amazing, and the recording is top notch. Quite a collection of instruments in the hands of some very capable musicians, and the title track is a hoot. Also, there is a small jazz/pop combo called Lake Street Drive. Check out their slowed-down, jazzy take on the old Jackson 5 tune, "I Want You Back". Great harmony, and great separation of instruments. That's one wide soundstage! I'd add links for you to check out, but my computer skills are...uh...insufficient.

Anyway, thanks again for this discussion.
Randy

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 07/13/14 at 15:17:31

Thanks for the recommendations guys, that's exactly what this thread is about!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 07/25/14 at 17:52:05

OK Decware Family - I'm needing some more recommendations - I don't have an example to post, but what I'm looking for is some nice acoustic guitar recordings. Redbook or High-Def, as long as it's recorded well.

I tend to like medieval lute tunes, classical guitar, to acoustic blues and modern folk.

I find the DirectStream has such a realistic instrument representation, and piano sound extremely *live*, I want to give acoustic guitars a chance to come alive in my room!  :)

Thanks in Advance for your suggestions!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 07/25/14 at 17:57:16

Try this one, fascinating.

Spinning Song: Duck Baker plays the music of Herbie Nichols

http://www.allmusic.com/album/spinning-song-duck-baker-plays-the-music-of-herbie...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 07/25/14 at 18:24:47

And then this one, wow!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 07/25/14 at 18:26:39

Finally, you may know this one. . .sound isn't amazing. . . but. . . .

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 07/25/14 at 18:41:35

I knew the guitar player of our group would have some suggestions for me! Thanks Lon, I'll dive in and see what I like. Thanks!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 07/25/14 at 20:31:57

All this talk of DACs has me reaching for my vinyl, which simply sounds different, perhaps better, than any DAC I've ever heard.

Threw this one on which is a beautiful album rich with personal history (every time I've fallen in love it has spoken to me again with a new voice).

http://record.ticro.com/record/jacket/F00001540.jpg

Then the doorbell rang and it was fedex delivering the last stereo item I can imagine needing for a while: one more PerfectWave Powerbase to go under my turntable. I had one under there before and it was unbelievably an improvement, but I removed it to put it under my CSP2+ and ZP3 which gave me a dual improvement, not just one. But I still wanted one under the Rega so I found one at half price and it just arrived.

Ah! I don't really know why these devils work as they do but they sure do. And I love what they do.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/28/14 at 14:11:55

LR...I am quite certain you will appreciate the below album...  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 07/28/14 at 15:45:52

Dave, thanks for the recommendation - I have a Japanese version of the Disc on the way!

I hope other people use this thread - it's been super helpful to me!

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/28/14 at 23:28:35

If you liked the Blonde Redhead stuff, you may like Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence.  It's available in 44.1/24 resolution on HD Tracks.  Although not in 96 or 192, I find it still very good.

On a side note, she collaborated quite a bit with Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys.  I have been listening to this for a couple of weeks  now and like it overall.

Here's the title track Ultraviolence:

Oh and she pretty cute Wink

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/18/14 at 00:47:28

Still getting into the Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence album quite a bit. Just wanted to put this out there that if you like Portis Head and Blonde Redhead give this album a chance.

Ok, here's my request ... anybody out there with knowledge of "new" bands that are mining from the late 60's and 70's?  I love Wolf People's Fain and Tame Impala's Lonerism and am looking to pick up another record like this.

Wolf People's album Fain seems to be a cross of early Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull.  And Tame Impala sounds as if it was the lost tapes to Magical Mystery Tour ... the lead singer sounds exactly like John Lennon (not an exaggeration).  Very cool stuff if you're a Rocker like me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 08/18/14 at 01:06:42

Hans, check out the scandanavian bands "Dead Man" and "Graveyard."

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/18/14 at 01:36:35

Thanks Lon ... Graveyard.  Funny story as I saw a video and really like them, but forgot the name of the group and it's been a few months and I could think of the name (old age setting in Grin).  Anyways, thanks they rock!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 08/18/14 at 01:39:51

Dead Man has a San Francisco '60s vibe, you may really like them. There's also Witchcraft.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 08/18/14 at 18:07:37

There seems to be a bit of a trend of indie-psychedelic-rock thing brewing now. I've stumbled into a couple albums that are heavy into the psychedelic-rock thing, but it wasn't something I was looking for at the time, so I don't recall the names. I'll see if I can find those albums and post here.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/19/14 at 01:08:32

Lon, picked up Witchcraft Legend (2012) ... the song Democracy rocks really hard.

Thanks for all the cool recommendations!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 08/19/14 at 01:11:08

Cool! I'll have to dig that album out and listen to it again soon. Glad you're digging.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 08/26/14 at 02:36:34

Hans, I think you'll really like the new Opeth, "Pale Communion."

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/26/14 at 15:29:50

Thanks Lon, listening online right now.  Good stuff and mixed by another guy you turned me on to (and now happens to be one of my faves ~ Steven Wilson).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 08/26/14 at 15:31:34

Opeth is a cool band, they used to be exclusively Death Metal (with a sense of humor) but slowly became more and more Prog as Mikal the leader and Steven became buds and worked together more and more.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #31 - 08/26/14 at 16:06:20

Yeah, I was confused when you suggested Opeth albums mixed by Steve Wilson - I was like...wait, isn't that death metal?

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 08/26/14 at 17:15:26

They used to do death metal and quickly began mixing it with light acoustic melodic sections, which works really really well. My favorite of theirs is still "Damnation"--Wilson was involved for the first time, and the music is awesome.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 08/27/14 at 03:00:34

Yes, this particular album is more prog with a little Tull like Renaissance and Sabbath tucked in.  Digging this.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #34 - 08/30/14 at 20:40:11

OK, a very specific Recommend to Me -

Queen's - Somebody to Love - This is one of my favorite tracks from them, but the two or three copies I have, have this hairy distortion somewhere in there - it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I really think it's inherent in the master tapes, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend a copy that they feel is exceptional?

hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #35 - 08/30/14 at 22:40:43

Lon / Beowulf- I think Steve Wilson is an amazing talent, no matter if he is playing, producing or re-mixing. His talent has sparked a new life into older recordings that I have loved since they were released originally (Close to the Edge).

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 08/30/14 at 23:00:34

I won't argue with that, though I will say I really find his latest solo work rather lightweight compared to his work of ten to four years ago or so. I just don't like his take on "prog" without the heavier elements and with the light jazz trappings, just neither original nor groundbreaking for me. And. . . I hate his debbie downer lyric habits. Can't he write something positive and forceful?

That said, I like his stereo remixing of 'seventies material.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #37 - 08/31/14 at 01:12:58

Lon - Lightweight is a good term for his latest solo stuff. I came to Porcupine Tree late and backtracked, I would say ''Fear of a Blank Planet'' and ''In Absentia" on vinyl are my two favorites. I do get tired of the down lyrics as well, but the band is great. If you haven't seen the video concert that was done on the Fear tour, it is really good. Gavin the drummer is wonderful as is the whole band.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 08/31/14 at 06:52:46

Yes, I have both the official videos, they're awesome!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 09/01/14 at 07:58:16

@ hdrider ~ Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree has quickly become one of my favorites since Lon and another cool cat on here called Pale Rider talked about them in the "What's spinning?" thread a couple years back.  Since then Insurgentes and Stars Die has become a staple in my playback and have probably not gone more than a few days without listening to it since I learned about them.  I too find The Raven That Refused To Sing to not be as easily accessible as this prior works.  His Mastering and/or Remastering work is also excellent though.

@ LR ~ I have a 96/24 FLAC needle drop of A Day At The Races.  I can upload it to a dropbox account if you want to try it out and see if it's any better than what you have.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/01/14 at 13:50:29

Hi guys
Would really like som recommondations to match Adam Ben Ezra (check out Cant stop running). Im familiar with Bromberg though

Also; In more rock/pop and a lot cool things going on in the background; All is Dream by Mercury Rev. I find the recording to pretty nice.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #41 - 09/01/14 at 16:11:23

Quote:
@ LR ~ I have a 96/24 FLAC needle drop of A Day At The Races.  I can upload it to a dropbox account if you want to try it out and see if it's any better than what you have.

It's been 25+ years since I've heard that off Vinyl - yeah, I'd love to sample that and see if it's better than all the CD versions out there.

I'll PM you my Dropbox.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #42 - 09/28/14 at 15:37:51

OK, another Recommend to Me request -

So two things aligned to bring me to this point.

#1, the best version of Someone To Love that I was looking for, is off the Japanese SACD.

#2 since the latest DirectStream update, DSD/SACD has had a notable step up in performance.

So my recommend to me request - What SACD are *must have* in your mind? Any genre - what's well recorded and really shows off what SACD can do?

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 09/29/14 at 05:25:57

As far as rock, some of my favorite that seem exceptional are:

1. The Beach Boys ~ Pet Sounds
2. Alice In Chains ~ Greatest Hits
3. Aerosmith ~ Toys In The Attic
4. Pink Floyd ~ Wish You Were Here

These are DSD rips I've been listening to however, not the actual discs.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/29/14 at 10:54:52

New Floyd album out in November. "The Endless River". A double. The vinyl has some really short sides by the look of it....14mins...11 mins  I dont fancy that. The DVD edition is in 5.1 and has 39min extra music.
There was a time I`d be walking on air at the mention of a new Floyd.
The thing thats piquing my interest is that it`s mostly non-vocal. I started to have a gutfull of Waters moaning and mental torment being foisted on me and longed for the "Saucerful.." "Set The Controls..." "Echoes" long instrumental passages returning.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 09/29/14 at 13:39:39

The latest Mobile Fidelity SACDs sound very good to me. Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain" and Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks" are standouts.

Those just really are the two that stand out to me, though there are many more in jazz and classical. .. I just rarely really think in terms of "outstanding sound quality" with recordings, more whether the music is incredible or not. I'm turning in my audiophile card.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #46 - 09/29/14 at 15:35:11

Quote:
As far as rock, some of my favorite that seem exceptional are:

1. The Beach Boys ~ Pet Sounds
2. Alice In Chains ~ Greatest Hits
3. Aerosmith ~ Toys In The Attic
4. Pink Floyd ~ Wish You Were Here

These are DSD rips I've been listening to however, not the actual discs.

I have some FLAC rips of the SACDs, and after comparing them to well ripped ISO, I absolutely hear a difference...even though FLAC is lossless, I hear a difference. The album I A/B this with was SRV - Couldn't Stand the Weather. I'm going to grab some of these (great list by the way) and compare them to the FLAC rips I have on my file server and see if the difference is notable across the board.

Quote:
New Floyd album out in November. "The Endless River". A double. The vinyl has some really short sides by the look of it....14mins...11 mins  I dont fancy that. The DVD edition is in 5.1 and has 39min extra music.
There was a time I`d be walking on air at the mention of a new Floyd.
The thing thats piquing my interest is that it`s mostly non-vocal. I started to have a gutfull of Waters moaning and mental torment being foisted on me and longed for the "Saucerful.." "Set The Controls..." "Echoes" long instrumental passages returning.

I agree with the instrumental thing - that's awesome!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 09/29/14 at 16:11:54

Oh, I'll also recommend this one:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4018-grant-green-idle-moments-hybrid-stereo-sacd.as...

Fabulous music as well.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #48 - 09/29/14 at 18:38:36

That looks like something I'd like, thanks LON!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 09/29/14 at 18:53:22

I think you'd really enjoy the Mobile Fidelity 'Blood on the Tracks' as well. Acoustic guitars really sounding good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print