Square Waves (Read 1617 times)
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Square Waves
10/04/14 at 20:09:16

Hi

I've got a question about square waves..
They say, square waves are natural in our environment.

In a Wave Editor a square wave looks.. well like a square wave, rectangular angles and all that..

However if you load sines waves into a wave editor on a computer Im left with some confusion: A 110hz wave shows the same excursion as a 220hz wave when its at the same volume. We all know, when playing over a speaker or headphones, a 220hz sine wave at the same membrane excursion as a 110hz sine wave would be twice as loud. So obviously, a 220hz sine wave, equally loud as the 110hz sine wave should be half in excursion. But its not, not in a Wave Editor (Editor, Analyzer, or what these things are called).
A Square Wave is a Low Sine Wave with a lot of higher sine waves added to it. However since the wave editor technically shows higher sounds louder as they are, there is no way such a natural Square Wave would have a rectangular form in reality - as on a speakers membrane.

So I ask, what movement would a Full Range Speaker need to do to reproduce a true Square Wave? (like if you could film a Fe206 in super-super-slow-motion with a microscopic camera able to detect bass to the highest frequencies visually)

Heres 2 Screenshots (one showing about half a second, other one zoomed in hard to a few miliseconds of the same tune) of my Wave Editor showing Mike Mangini hitting a Kickdrum and a Hihat at the same time. If this was true, When I turn the volume up high on that one so the Speakers excursion hits around 10mm for the Bass, the tweeters (well I dont have a tweeter, I gotta pair of fullranges.. but anyway) should be moving at least 1mm. A Fostex Supertweeter would punch a hole straight through your finger if youd touch it - probably much worse than that. So how can a Square Wave on a Wave Editor be a square Wave in Real Life?

I hope my spelling dont make me look too bad lol.

Regards, Azul

mikemanginiwave.jpg

Visit www.ambiophonics.org for a better sound!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print