Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 13:52:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tried the MYSTERY AMP with Christmas Comes Early? (Read 2940 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Tried the MYSTERY AMP with Christmas Comes Early?
04/15/14 at 04:01:28

Have any of You Mystery Amp owners tried it with EL34 tubes to take advantage of the Christmas Comes Early circuit?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Tried the MYSTERY AMP with Christmas Comes Early?
Reply #1 - 04/17/14 at 16:22:13

Is that another name for the Hazen Mod?

During Decfest I heard, I believe both the ZMA and MK4 with EL34, and I really didn't care for it. That said, I don't think the amps were biased correctly for the tube change, so it might not have been a fair comparison.

Also, I really think the KT-66 just kill on the Mystery Amp. It seems to do everything well, and now that I'm closing in on 400 hours, I think the high end dryness from when the amp was new is going away. I was going to verify this by plugging in my old 2 watt Zen amp and doing a quick A/B to help refresh my memory as to what smooth top end is.  :)

Sometimes, you just get used to something - so it's good to take something away or go back to something else to give you a fresh perspective - like cleansing the palate between wines/cheese.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Tried the MYSTERY AMP with Christmas Comes Early?
Reply #2 - 04/17/14 at 17:02:32

yeah, CCE is the same as the Hazen mod.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print