03/29/24 at 11:51:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fun Weekend Activity (Read 8221 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Fun Weekend Activity
04/14/14 at 14:23:26

I had a fun experience over the weekend.  

Each Spring, I head downstate to pick up my sailboat which I store in my brother’s machine shed on his farm near Peoria.  I typically pick up the boat and then head to my friend’s lake house near Bloomington.  This guy loves music and would listen daily even if all he had was an old AM radio.  His wife is also a trained vocalist and can keep up with any Broadway show recording.

Anyway, I told him that someday I would bring my tube amp down for him to listen to.  Given that I am used to packing up my stuff for excursions to Lonely Raven’s house or up to my cottage, I loaded up the van with my complete system sans Power Plant Premiere.  I even took 5 absorber panels given that his room is quite large and I thought it would be difficult to get good imaging.

After dinner, I asked him if he would go along with me and let me set up my system.  I said all he has to do is listen to a song or two and if it wasn’t any good, we could switch back to his system.  He’s always up for an adventure so he made his special martini recipe while I hooked everything up.

With him in the listening chair, I put on the first song.  I was patient and waited until the end of the song and then asked him what he thought.  He just turned his head and said very slowly in and even tone “What the @$%# was that?”  You kinda had to be there to get the full gist, but basically he was completely blown away but what he just heard.  I simply said, “Tube amp.  Decware.”

That was about 8:30.  We listened till just past 3 AM.  He turned me on to some fantastic live Jeff Beck and his wife sang along with some show tunes which in and of itself was an interesting experience.  It was hard to get the mix right, but it was like having two soloists in the room.

So it was a great experience turning somebody on to the SQ and imaging of these amps and made me feel like the time I’ve spent on this hobby is a worthwhile pursuit.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Fun Weekend Activity
Reply #1 - 04/14/14 at 14:43:37

Awesome! A great experience to have and share.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 04/14/14 at 17:12:41

That sounds fantastic! I love when people really "get it", but I think they need to be a good listener. My home system is pretty good, and I had a friend sit down in the sweet spot, listen to three tracks. At the end he's like "um...it sound good....very...um, even".

It's not that he didn't like it, just that he had trouble really getting into it. When I mentioned it to Steve, I likened it to a little kid seeing a masters painting...like the Mona Lisa. All they see is "a lady" and maybe even catch the smile. But it really takes someone who at least has a little bit of understanding of the arform to appreciate it.

Palomino's system is really imaging well, I think his system might also go a little above and beyond and even catch the attention of even casual listeners. I hope to get mine that good sometime soon.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/14 at 18:35:19

I quizzed him a little about what was different.  

Without hesitation he said with his eyes closed he could not tell where the speakers were and that the vocals are floating "right there" (pointing to the middle of the soundstage just above the height of the speaker).  His wife added that the whole front of the room seemed to be one big continuous speaker.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 04/14/14 at 18:51:02

That's pretty much how I would describe your system as well. Sounds like they really listened.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/14/14 at 18:57:42

I was pretty happy I got that good an image.  He has a big room with an open kitchen and great room kind of setup. A big square more or less. Behind the speakers were big windows that ran the length of the wall.

I think it was the power of the panels.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/14 at 19:00:31

Nice that it worked so well in his room, presumably, untreated? How would you relate it to your room Palomino?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 04/14/14 at 19:48:07

Big rooms can help, actually, with good speaker placement.

If the reflection time is delayed enough (by distance of a big room), then you're ears have a better chance of discerning first and second reflections from the source sound waves. The 5-12ms we have in our small rooms muddies the images immensely. Get a slightly bigger room where that delay happens to be around the 20-25ms and suddenly the imaging opens up, and the reverb in the recording sounds like it's *in* your room.

When we use acoustic panels (absorption) we are basically deadening those reflections enough where, even if they hit at 5-12ms, our clever brain goes "oh wait, that was too quiet to be the original sound, so I'm going to filter that out so you can focus on the source"

IMHO, I prefer to have all that reflective energy and just delay the reflections (diffusers), but absorbers are a great way of doing something similar on the cheap, and probably while fixing some other issues the room might have.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/14/14 at 19:49:53

My listening room is only 17'X13' and I have six 24"X48"X2" absorber panels, 2' face X 24" long triangular bass traps in each corner up high and two 24"X 48" X 4" bass traps down low in the front two corners, and two 24"X24" X 2" ceiling panels plus two DIY curved diffusers in the room.

His room is huge so I brought 5 24"X48"X2" panels with me.  I put two behind the speakers, two at the first reflection points and one behind the listener.  I actually tested this setup on my other system in a big room in my basement to see if I could pull off anywhere near the imaging as in my listening room.  It didn't sound bad at all so I loaded up the van.

I measured the listening triangle and used the patented Lonely Raven laser guided speaker sweet spot pointing methodology.  My hosts got a big kick out of just the setup ritual itself.

Generally, the bass sounded muddy, but there was a very believable deep and wide soundstage going on.  Instruments were not as 3D as in my room, but the vocals did sound quite good.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/14/14 at 22:07:47

Interesting. It sounds like relatively predictable results from using only main absorbers from your room treatment system?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/14/14 at 22:12:47

Yes, it was pretty good.  Overall, everything is better in my room at home (especially the bass) but it was respectable imaging.  He certainly appreciated the sound.

I got the idea off of a YouTube video where the guy didn't want a bunch of treatments in his apartment so he would just pull out some absorbers each time he wanted to listen.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print