04/19/24 at 13:38:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Left Meter Pegged (Read 932 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Left Meter Pegged
03/18/14 at 19:34:46

I have a Rachael amp and for some reason, the left meter just started pegging all the way to the right.  I changed out all tubes and its still happening.

Any ideas?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Left Meter Pegged
Reply #1 - 03/18/14 at 19:43:45

I would have the same you about swapping tubes, but now it seems to be a problem internally in the amp. One guess is that the bias resistor is either shorted, or grounded. Another thing to check is that the speaker cable connections are not touching. I use spades that are not wide enough for the posts, and they are nearly touching.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/18/14 at 20:02:23

Well this happened when I changed out speaker wires, but I shut the amp off before I did anything.  Then when I turned it back on, it didn't necessarily peg, but it is really high like in the 80s.  Nothing touching.  Not even close.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/18/14 at 20:31:54

I talked to Steve and it looks like this one needs to go in.  This is one of those times it really pays to have two Rachaels.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 03/18/14 at 20:55:26

Yah, Stuff happens. In my case, I am usually the guy that creates my own delemma Tongue Fortunately, this amp is simple inside. Just think of all the stuff that burdened with VSLIC, op-amps, SMD parts,etc. Nearly impossible to fix, let alone see whats what.

A second Rachel? A mistress you say.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/18/14 at 20:58:14

I am supporting two women.  One in the office and one in the basement.  Problem is if I don't give them the same "gifts" they don't treat me equally well.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/19/14 at 00:22:11

My Rachaels are lonely   :'(  
ZP3 and CSP2+ have had beeswax caps fitted and waiting
shipment but paypal are playing up wanting verification...again.
Gotta wait for their letter with a code in it.
Few more days and I`ll post the cash in a bubble wrap envelope.
Sucks without me sounds.   :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/09/14 at 14:26:55

Just an update.  It was a Jupiter cap that went bad.

Lonely Raven took my amp to Steve on one of his Peoria runs and Steve fixed it while LR was still there.  LR was forced to listen to Steve's R2R setup while he waited.  Must have been hell.  

Great service and thanks Steve!  Thanks LR!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 04/09/14 at 15:06:26

I'm happy to help a friend...besides, it was a great excuse to hang out with Steve and Dave, and to prove that I was partially correct on my diagnosis of the problem. I was really doubtful the Jupiter cap failed, and Steve agreed and said this was a first.

Those are the custom made caps too. If I decide to scratch build a Rachel or Zen amp, I'll have to make sure I hit Steve up for some. Right now though, the ZMA has my full attention.

I'm glad it was an easy fix, and I'm glad it's working. How's the left/right tone/balance since the cap swap?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/09/14 at 15:17:22

You know, I don't know if I can confidently say I hear a big difference.  

You remember how my room favors the right side?  If anything, it seems a little more in balance now.  

I find that new electronics before they break in are a little tighter (hyper detailed) and possibly a little louder.  That could be what I hear.

It's not impeding my enjoyment of the amp.  I had another peak listening experience just the other night.  Huge soundstage, great definition. Very smooth with the new "power foundation."

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 04/10/14 at 01:09:59

LOL - power foundation - where have I heard that before.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/10/14 at 01:29:05

I think I stole that one from Lon along with "reverberant details" Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print