Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 15:37:23 

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 89386 times)
kana813
Seasoned Member

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #650 - 10/14/14 at 19:36:44

Your DS Team:

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #651 - 10/17/14 at 16:32:45

Debating whether to get the Cryoset TAD KT66's or Gold Lion's? I like what you're hearing so far Lon, with the TAD's.

PS Audio has not shipped my P3 Power Plant yet (ordered 10/10). I have Joe at Cableco checking on it... .

I had my little guy's in my System, last night an this morning (SE84CS & Super Zen CKC). Sorry, but I can't go back to them anymore as of late... . My ZMA w/CSP3 has me locked in to it.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC ---~or~
Audio Alchemy front-end/Prophecy Silver Cryo i2s
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers (in Stereo)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA

All four units plugged into Adcom AC-Enhancer 515

....being replaced/will receive next week: PS Audio P3 Power Plant

Pssst! Quietly waiting for the OTL SET...an my Pilgrimage to Decware to hear it.......... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #652 - 10/17/14 at 16:39:52

I think my set of TADs are burned in now. They are mellower and a bit more "diffuse" than the Gold Lions. Both are excellent tubes and a good choice. The TADs will probably stay in my main system because they are just a tiny bit more "forgiving" which I need because most of what I listen to were never intended to be audiophile reocrdings. The Gold Lions are a bit more tight in the high frequencies. I have and would live with either! The Gold Lions have really helped my Torii Mk II over at my Dad's, and the TADs would also likely be great here. The Tung-Sols were just a bit too thin for the ERRs.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #653 - 10/17/14 at 16:51:25

Thanks Lon...I will get the Cryoset TAD's. I realize MMMV; but I'm itching to do some Tube Rolling. These might be "diffuse" an a TAD (get it)...more "forgiving" in the ZMA too. I love the Tung-Sols...but just have the "rolling" bug now (Power Tubes only).

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #654 - 10/20/14 at 02:28:00

Just an update. I gave Alex two days since his last message to get back to me, then emailed Paul on Friday morning asking WTF? Another PS Audio staffer Dave emailed me an RMA and I got it to UPS Friday afternoon.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #655 - 10/29/14 at 07:14:53

Quote:
Glad that the new firmware has assuaged your preamp pondering Eric. You should be set. I don't feel I need a preamp with mine; I should have mine back soon, I was told Friday it was repaired, no shipping notice yet.

I didn't want to clutter up DeuceKazoo's classified ad for his nice pair of MG944 with our DS talk, so I cut and pasted this here.

So yeah, about the DirectStream and the latest firmware - I'm hesitant to say anything because I don't want to influence you in any way Lon - you're probably pretty immune to that, so I'm going to forge ahead.

So the latest firmware - no, lets back up a bit. The beta firmware I was first given I felt had a presence bump to it. Lon, you being a guitar player, you probably get what I mean - when you crank the presence, it's almost like a mid-boost. And that's what the beta firmware felt like to me. It was great because it had even more detail and accuracy, all without being harsh - and as you know I'm a detail freak. But then this presence bump....it wasn't off-putting, it wasn't unpleasant or fatiguing, it was just a bit too different, and not exactly in a way I wanted with my system. IMHO, super detail and presence bump were two pluses that were kind of "too much of a good thing" when you had them together. Thankfully the Paul and crew picked a slightly different version of the Firmware that kept the detail and accuracy, but dropped the presence bump - it's the better of the two pluses IMHO.  

So with this detail and accuracy the DS has more *apparent* density and volume, especially when playing well recorded DSD files. Ted let me sample one of his files directly from the SACD, and it just smoked my FLAC rip of the same file. My recent Opus3 downloads sounded way more tape-like now. But I also feel PCM files now sound like they have a little sharper leading edge (if that makes sense) - further separating the sound (differences) quality between DSD and PCM in my mind.

I'm not saying the new firmware is a replacement for a preamp, but it's changed the system enough that I don't feel like I need to run out and get a preamp because I'm missing *something*. In fact, this new firmware is causing me to reevaluate my system and consider "tuning it" with warmer cables, different speakers or something. Either I've reached my limit of "anal levels of accuracy and detail" and I'm looking to soften it up a bit, or maybe it's like the OTL and I need to level-up my listening skills to take in what's going on.

Add to all this, the software changes on the Media PC with Server 2012 in core mode, and Audiophile Optimizer 1.30 tweaked to the gills, plus my Linear Power Supply for the PC - all of this has completely leveled up my playback system to a point that I feel better matches the quality of the DirectStream. And tonight I've added the Ram Disk component to Foobar2000 after reading how pleased Palomino is with using a Ram Disk on his Apple playback system, and I swear my systems been taken up a notch again!

All in all I'm very pleased with what I've got going on here. This merge of hardware and software, extreme accuracy without being harsh or fatiguing...it's pretty amazing where I'm at right now. I'm very pleased indeed. I still want a preamp, but I can wait now.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #656 - 10/29/14 at 11:08:21

Eric, thanks for that. I'm a bit reticent anytime I hear "more detail" because that usually means I like something less, but that wasn't the case the way the DS presented what people called 'more detail' before, so I'm hopeful. Yes, a presence bump would have been overall not for the best.

For me it's quite clear that I prefer the DS I had with no preamp. What I'd recommend is playing about with interconnects to see if you can find one that really makes the DS sing. I know my system really came to life in important ways when I moved away from the Decware interconnects and on the journey that led me to the cryoset.com then VooDoo Cable ones. That may further diminish your inclination towards a preamp.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #657 - 10/29/14 at 15:25:32

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't like to hear more detail - but the way we're getting that detail, and how the DS presents it is really the key. Instead of etching out every bit of detail (hard edges like the Oppo does), the DS brings you that detail by simply being more accurate with time. It's all about the math at that level, and I think Ted really worked hard to keep the numbers tight.

Add to that, all the system/computer tweaks I'm working on are removing layers of noise, and other timing issues that are outside the DS's control, and I'm getting blacker blacks and feeding the DS with even better files to start with so it can do it's thing.

So the DS is bringing the detail through accuracy, not etching. I think it bring more life, separation, and ambient retrieval to the instruments and voices, all without being fatiguing...at least assuming your source material is good. I still have trouble getting through some Queen albums with their strained sound, and rock albums with the super-compressed HIGH VOLUME.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #658 - 10/29/14 at 15:54:31

Yes, I've liked how the DS gave out detail before, without it seeming "detail" just more of everything.

I am no fan of Queen so I have even more trouble getting through their material! Smiley

So glad I don't have to tweak computer things etc. I think with my PWT and my isolation and power and cabling I've got a solid foundation for the time to come and I'm hoping when the DS is back I'm done for a while. The new flagship Denon universal player I popped into the system has me covered for SACD and video material, man that's a player and a  half. In time I'll up the sonic ante on my turntable end. . . that's where the ultimate listening lies for me, when I want "the best the sound can be" it's vinyl I use.

Thanks for the explication! I hope I get my DS back soon. This ordeal has been unreally long.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #659 - 11/01/14 at 18:19:29

I got my unit back this morning. It finally has the right firmware, all of the right firmware.

It doesn't sound that much different to me, but it's been nearly a month since I heard the DS, and I've also changed output tubes since then. The PWD Mk II that has been in place for a few weeks was so well-seasoned and so well set up that there's not a HUGE difference between the two sources, more a different character than completely different blow-away difference. The DS is a little more forward than the PWD Mk II and than I remember it, I'll adapt though forward is not my favorite position. And there's only a few hours on the DS since it's return, barely warmed up from its cold journey in the truck.

As my two Denon Anniversary machines are sounding so so good in the bedroom system I don't think I'll put my this PWD Mk II and my second PWT back in, may sell them. Hopefully, unless I decide to improve my turntable front end, I'm done for a long while--the new Denon flagship universal player is rocking my video world both visually and aurally, the DS is back, I'm so happy with my pre and amp and speakers and cabling. Time to "hold steady" and enjoy.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #660 - 11/02/14 at 14:45:01

I'm glad that finally got resolved for you. The DS takes forever to break in, so don't be surprised if one day, months from now you get that Whoa! moment.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #661 - 11/02/14 at 16:14:16

Well, my DS had been broken in for a month before this firmware problems started. (Not sure what was specifically wrong but they said that perhaps the kit hadn't been installed properly I reminded them that they installed the kit and they got quiet.) Smiley

Anyway, it's now sounding better a day later (I installed it, listened an hour and then went out into the woods to my girlfriends for the night) but to me it proves that the PWD Mk II is a great machine. .  the DS is better, and maybe a bit better with this firmware, but it's not the great game-changer some make it out to be.

Anyway, I'm happy, and I'm done with digital front ends for audio and video, I have fabulous ones now and know when to say "uncle." Same with power and pre-amp and phono preamp--just my turntable as my weakest link right now, even though it sounds great I know the ZP3 could deliver more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #662 - 11/07/14 at 21:39:18

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #663 - 11/13/14 at 16:32:52

I'm not sure how many folks, if any, are interested in a CD Transport, but the PS Audio PWT is currently 50% off at Music Direct.  

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-2455-ps-audio-perfectwave-memory-player-transport.a...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #664 - 11/14/14 at 14:05:11

Great price for a fantastic machine!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #665 - 11/16/14 at 14:46:56

Follow up review focusing on new firmware.

http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/2014/11/directstream-iv.html

I am a little less "jazzed" about the new firmware than he is, but I can't compare and too much time passed in between with no DS at all, so all I'll say is I'm really happy with the sound I have now and my one complaint is the output from the DS: it's too low for my DVR source on its best sounding setting. I can live with it, but I have a visitor that likes it a little louder and I have to use a DSP setting that I don't prefer. A small problem, but with the same output as the PWD Mk 2 I would have no problems at all.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #666 - 11/16/14 at 14:58:07

Lon...I think the new ZBit box would be worth looking into.  It converts the XLR outputs of the DS to RCA, so you would get the higher voltage from the DS, which should match the output of the PWD via RCA.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #667 - 11/16/14 at 15:25:58

I hear ya Dave. BUT. . . that would mean another power cord, another set of balanced XLR cables, more isolation feet, and finding rack space. . . . Just not worth it to me at this time for the one input, some of the time. Maybe if I ever get another parcel of money dropped at my doorstep, or if that certain someone who prefers the louder volume on the DVR happens to live under the same roof as I (something I hope for, she hopes for, but for the near future with my parental duties fifty miles from her, not going to happen).

Right now it's just not feasible. . . .

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #668 - 11/17/14 at 19:23:31

I feel ya on the output of the DS. You know a few of us (me especially) have made Paul and Ted aware of this. I even bounced some ideas off Ted about boosting the output a little...and there are no options, physical or software, that would get us where we want to be. Ted did say a software tweak could drive the output a little harder, but it would be right into distortion. So it's either Steve's Magic box, a preamp, or deal with it.

With the latest update, I feel it's a little bit less of an issue - but that's since it wasn't volume I was after, so much as density of sound. This latest firmware made up for that a little. Though I find myself at 100% on the dial quite often when running the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #669 - 11/17/14 at 19:33:57

I know they can't fix the output, I just wish they had designed it with more, those few people who complained about the output of the PWD and PWD Mk2 may have ruined it for us.

The firmware hasn't made a difference in my system in this regard.

It's doable for me, I'm not going to go to the expense it needs to do it justice by adding the ZBit (big cost of unit, cabling, etc.) or running through the preamp (cost of another pair of the fantastic VooDoo Cable ICs and possibly rolling a bunch more tubes, it is not quite as transparent a sound with the current set than running the DS right into the Mk III, but the current tube set sounds really good with my ZP3 and BDP-U1CDI). . . going to continue to deal with it, it's just the one input and at this point for an infrequent listener who really doesn't care about the difference between "Normal" or "Narrow" DSP settings.

But I wish it had more output anyway. I might like the overall sound a bit more. Bummer.

I leave mine at 100 and use the stapped attenuator on the Mk III to control volume. That works best for me.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #670 - 11/17/14 at 19:39:30

LR...are you using RCA or XLR outputs on the DS?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #671 - 11/17/14 at 21:04:42

XLR - since switching to XLR, I can't go back.

I did borrow a CSP2 from DeuceKazoo, and it only stayed in the system for about a week before I went back to Direct-to-amp. I liked the boost of the preamp, but it took away as much as it added, so I'm fine with direct. I'd rather get more efficient speakers than add a preamp - as least with this latest DS firmware.

I'm reading that review right now, I'm about 1/3 through it and keep getting pulled away by this thing called work.  :)

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #672 - 12/23/14 at 19:09:45

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #673 - 12/24/14 at 04:46:31

About friggen time ted_b!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #674 - 12/24/14 at 13:13:39

That was an interesting read - makes me want to try the I2S.

I think Ted Smith says he prefers the USB, and Paul has said he prefers the Ethernet - and now Ted_b says I2S. Makes me wonder what's going on there.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #675 - 12/24/14 at 13:34:08

Well, I have never used USB of course (hate digital files) and for Redbook I found a difference favoring my best I2S and my best coaxial and my best optical from the Transport to the DS. I really couldn't find a clear distinction between coaxial and optical, but I2S had more ambiance and presence, not a lot, but noticeable. Then again, the I2S connection is a big deal with the Transport.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #676 - 12/24/14 at 21:38:13

Lonely Raven wrote on 12/24/14 at 13:13:39:
That was an interesting read - makes me want to try the I2S.

I think Ted Smith says he prefers the USB, and Paul has said he prefers the Ethernet - and now Ted_b says I2S. Makes me wonder what's going on there.

In the speech McGowan gave when he introduced the DS in San Diego he said he used to think Ethernet was better through their digital lens, but that USB has caught up and possibly better.  He was using USB cables from KingRex and Light Harmonic.  He also said he was going to ask KingRex to design a cable for PS Audio, although I'm not sure if this is something still within talks or has fallen to the way side.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #677 - 12/25/14 at 03:29:17

Funny you mention USB - he's been pimping the JCAT USB cable as his favorite, and in the "which USB cable works with the DS" thread in his forums, just the other day is when he said he prefers the Ethernet.

We'll see how the next version of the Bridge (II), and whatever their External Bridge looks like. I know the Bridge II has been 2 years in the making.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #678 - 02/10/15 at 19:17:28

New firmware release today with the usual hyper hype of how much improvement there is. Sigh. I may purchase a card from PS Audio to try the update again, but the last time I lost my whole DS and had to be without it for a few weeks of repair. . . . What to do. Sounds really good right now.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #679 - 02/10/15 at 21:16:56

Some info Removed

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #680 - 02/10/15 at 22:44:52

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the same experience of last time doesn't rear its ugly head.  Did they say what the improvements are?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #681 - 02/11/15 at 01:35:17

Holy Crap! This is a completely different presentation for the DS! Like, *new DAC* different.

It's much more dry than the 1.2.1 Firmware, probably because of the further lowered jitter and high end extension mentioned in the thread about. Voice and instrument separation is *sharper* and the spacial cues are more prominent.

It's a little unnerving - it kind of reminds me of the hyper-detail I hear when Steve breaks out the OTL amp, but without that glassy smoothness of tubes.

Granted, I'm listening to my Blue Zu. After I go through my Demo tracks (same ones I played at the last Decfest for those who were there or listened via stream), I'll hook up my MG944 and see what I get there. It might be a bit too sharp with the ribbon tweeters. This OS update might be exactly what I needed for the El Camino to take them to the next level!

Lon, you'd probably hate it.   Grin

Oh, and it's not without issues. This is probably because I have beta software on my DS, but I have a small issue with the Pikes Peak OS update.

No, that image isn't upside-down.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #682 - 02/11/15 at 04:13:45

You're right, it does sound like I'll probably hate it. Keep us posted. I'm holding off for now.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #683 - 02/11/15 at 05:22:51

Been listening pretty much all night. I hate to pull this one out again, but it's like discovering my CD collection all over again, just like when I originally got the DirectStream. I've not gotten around to switching back to my MG944 and Palomino still has the El Camino speakers we built from a "kit". I have a feeling that due to the dryness and added detail, the El Camino are really going to sing with this new OS.

Seriously Lon, it's super detail - so I'm not sure you'll like it or not. I don't know your system, so maybe your system is more softening/forgiving than mine. It's almost 11:30pm and I've only slept 4 hours in a day and a half so I'm going to reluctantly power down the ZMA and DS combo and crash.

Edit to add: detail wise, I feel comfortable putting this up against the new Decware modified DAC. I'm going to find time to do so when Steve has some amps ready for listening.  :)

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #684 - 02/13/15 at 01:18:36

So far this firmware is not working for me.  I can't remember the last time I had listening fatigue, but I have now had it 2 nights in a row after listening with the latest firmware.  Bummer, because it definitely has a positive impact on the soundstage (greater depth, and 3Dimensionality).  

EDIT:  Also, I think I am missing some body in certain instruments (e.g. acoustic bass).  While I appreciate how everything has 'tightened' up, I think it may be too much.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #685 - 02/13/15 at 03:55:30

Thanks for relaying your impressions Dave.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #686 - 02/13/15 at 12:39:41

I went back to 1.21 last night and the listening fatigue went away.  That said, so did a lot of the detail (and the soundstage benefits I mentioned).  I never felt that I was missing detail with this DAC, until now.  It's amazing that this magnitude of change can be had with a firmware update, but I suppose that's the beauty of the FPGA.  

The ribbon's in my 944's offer great detail in the highs, but with this new firmware, it is too much for me.  That said, I will go back to Pikes Peak and see if I can get used to it.  I do hope that they dial back in a slight amount of body and weight though.  But usually once they start down a path with these firmware updates they tend to stick with it.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #687 - 02/13/15 at 13:54:21

I think detail is over rated. Some of the Vinyl reissues I have seem to boost the high end compared to the originals.  Probably because the target market is a bunch of Old Men with bad hearing...hehe.  I personally like a warmer, less Hot presentation...if a bit of detail must be sacrificed to get it, that's ok.  That's why I am more than satisfied with my simple, old Jolida 100 tube CD player for redbook .  They can be had used for about $500 and the sound is very musical and enjoyable without fatigue after many hours of listening.  I once considered the PS Audio Pair that many
here have, when it was half price but the added complexity (software) and description of the sound by some turned me off.  When I see Jolida 100 CD Players for sale, I'm tempted to pick up another...but I already have two.  I would suggest more folks try the old Jolida 100...if you don't like it you can resell it for what you've got in it...I think you'll be surprised...read a few reviews.  So instead of looking for "Better", I'm looking forward to getting to good enough and stopping.  "The enemy of Good is Better".  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #688 - 02/13/15 at 13:57:30

Quote:
Dave 1210 wrote regarding a software update for his DAC:

I went back to 1.21 last night and the listening fatigue went away.  That said, so did a lot of the detail (and the soundstage benefits I mentioned).  I never felt that I was missing detail with this DAC, until now.  It's amazing that this magnitude of change can be had with a firmware update, but I suppose that's the beauty of the FPGA.  

The ribbon's in my 944's offer great detail in the highs, but with this new firmware, it is too much for me.  That said, I will go back to Pikes Peak and see if I can get used to it.  I do hope that they dial back in a slight amount of body and weight though.  But usually once they start down a path with these firmware updates they tend to stick with it.  

I was in the same boat at one point with regard to listening fatigue. First question: why do we turn the volume up to the point where we start to experience fatigue (what are we looking for at the higher volume)? Second question: why when we turn the volume down (to eliminate the fatigue) are we left unsatisfied? Dave answers the question, I would argue we tend to turn the volume up to the Fatigue Point looking for the Weight & Body in the music. We get the Weight & Body but also get the Fatigue. If we turn the volume down below the Fatigue Point, we loose the all important Weight & Body.

I was in the same pickle using different tubes, cables etc. to tame the top a bit. However as Dave states these changes always sacrificed a bit of the clarity & detail that I liked. So as I analyzed my system I took this approach: problem was not too much Top End but rather to little Bottom End. It was more a problem of Frequency Balance, the bottom was too light lacking the Body & Weight that Dave mentions. Approaching the problem in this way led me to the Mid Bass Module that allowed me to reinforce the 50hz to 150hz range, the all important Body & Weight.

Before the Mid Bass Module I would typically set the volume knob on my Super Zen at 12 O'clock. This was just getting into the Fatigue zone on at least half of my CD's and I still lacked the quantity of Body & Weight I was looking for. After the Mid Bass Module I now set the volume at 9 to 10 O'clock and my system actually sounds much Bigger and more Powerful with absolutely no fatigue. The Mid Bass Module allowed me to adjust the Frequency Balance in my system to my room, the mains I use and my personal taste. The adjustment possibilities are what make the MBM so useful.

I was encouraged to see that Omega Loudspeaker recently released their deepOMEGA 12 Sub. Their published specs state a frequency range of 28hz to 160hz. Similarities between the Mid Bass Module and deepOMEGA include: each utilizes a lightweight 12" driver. each is down firing, each is capable of playing cleanly up into the all important 150hz mid bass range, each operate in sealed mode.

Hsu has never seen their Mid Bass Module as a Music Product, they tend to concentrate on the Home Theater application. Omega Loudspeaker however is quite the opposite, they concentrate on accurate, authoritative music reproduction. Looks like Omega also recognizes the value of reinforcing the music well up into the 150hz range according to you room, speakers & taste.

The deepOMEGA is more expensive than the Mid Bass Module but appears to be a more refined Music Specific product. I have talked to one deepOMEGA user in detail that has confirmed the deepOMEGA provides all the positive benefits I have experienced with the MBM. Anyone open to the idea of reinforcing bass in their system up to 150hz now has two choices and that is a good thing for music lovers.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #689 - 02/13/15 at 14:58:08

I hear you Mark. If you only listen to "great recordings" (and boy many audiophiles only do) then lots of detail can be a great thing. If you listen to a lot of mediocre recordings (and to be honest a lot of Van Gelder and other engineer recordings basically are just that) then a bit less detail can be a good thing. It's a fine line. I just sort of got the balance right with the 1.21 firmware and now here they go and throw another version out there and I'm loathe to mess with things again. There have been a few reviews on the PS Audio forum that also talk of heightened detail to the point of fatigue with the new software. Luckily I'm so busy lately and with so little time listening to music that I can afford to just wait and think about the bother of upgrading and then working to refine that sound. . . don't have to jump in.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #690 - 02/13/15 at 15:19:45

Lon,  my recommendation...Stop! If you like what you hear, why bother with "improvements". Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #691 - 02/13/15 at 15:35:00

mark58 wrote on 02/13/15 at 15:19:45:
Lon,  my recommendation...Stop! If you like what you hear, why bother with "improvements". Mark.

Good advice Mark, but sometimes the improvements are substantial and in the direction I can go with my system and source material, so it's hard to just close the door on the possibility of improvement. I don't have to lock the door, just let it stay closed a bit while reading more impressions. And in time I'll get into another "I don't mind tube-rolling and futzing with things" period.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #692 - 02/13/15 at 18:26:51

I am wondering if it is perhaps in part the specific qualities of the detail that is overwhelming with this update. It could be worth a careful listen with complexity in mind.

I have explored detail more than anything the last couple years, starting when I was trying to get my HR-1s to suit me better. And once the cap, resistor and resonance damping doors were open I got caught!....in the end, bringing UP some frequency areas of detail, balancing the complexity, actually relaxed the detail. Then with tighter bass, the combination awakened the mids further.

With various cap scenarios, after the tweeter resistor and bypassing it, I found that ADDing fine detail made "detail" softer, more textured, more spacious,....less hard.....that enough micro detail can feather the edges of what we tend associate with treble "detail." And I think what we associate with treble fatigue can actually start in the upper mids.

When I had a Jolida 100 CD some years ago, I really liked it too Mark, but both they sent had build problems so I gave up. If memory serves, what I liked about it was that it was good at complex upper mids and highs. In retrospect, I think of that sound as having some of what I am talking about...complex enough detail to sound sweet.

Later, using EQ and room measurements, I explored "in detail," clarifying these assumptions.

By adding a little 9-11K bump or two it might give the detail a softer feeling. Or by cutting or raising some narrow notches between 6-8K, the texture can come back and brightness relax.  

Also from EQ exploration, I agree with DBCs conclusions about the mid-bass. Mine is likely room and system specific, but some bumps in the 130 and 145 Hz areas can really bring out bass body and clarity, though I also need tight cuts in the 45 to 70 Hz areas in this room. Now I am talking bass "detail," but also, bringing up the bass attack came here with some lower mid narrow bumps between 300 and 600. And well done, these smooth the sound balance making detail friendlier.

Anyway, I had detail complexity and balance degradation adding the PS Audio P5 until I coaxed it out with other power tools, a new power cable and other adjustments. It makes me wonder if the choices PSaudio made with the new firmware for the DS DAC could possibly be in part about even slightly off balance detail complexity.

But then, all of this is room dependent...if we are pushing anything to the edge and our room does the EQ for us, detail balance can easily get off.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #693 - 02/13/15 at 21:06:47

Update...Pikes Peak is back on my DAC...there was too much that was right with this firmware not to explore further.  I typically use a MW setting of 2 on the PP and I have gone back to Sine and that seems to have taken the edge off.  I have been listening now for about 1.5 hours and haven't yet experienced the fatigue I got the other night (after ~15 minutes).  

I forgot to mention this the other night...I don't listen to a ton of rock music these days, but the 'focused' effect this firmware has on the music makes rock music sound a lot 'tighter', and it's much more enjoyable.  I have yet to determine if this takes away from other types of music (e.g. jazz).  But I am listening to the Anthony Wilson Trio at the moment and everything sounds great.

This firmware really is a significant update to the DAC.  It might not be for everyone (the 1.21 firmware is definitely warmer), but it's amazing what Ted can do with the FPGA.  I'm glad I held off on new cables because this firmware really has changed how my system sounds.  Back to the music...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #694 - 02/13/15 at 21:40:43

Interesting. I may have to buy a card and hope for the best. We'll see, busy for aweek or so anyway.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #695 - 02/13/15 at 22:49:56

That is a cool discovery Dave. Though tempting, in this system, I have never been able to keep Multiwave on, I think because the instantaneous pushes over-saturate my tubes a bit much for me. I have always liked OB3s in the Torii more than OA3s for a similar reason. The OA3s push the power tubes enough that for me, the mids and bass overwhelm the fine detail, spaciousness and atmospheric info, while making the mids and detail seem harder. Also for me it is mainly low bass that causes fatigue, not so much the highs, but this is a consistent cause. For the same reason, I use 119v on the P5...to balance the saturation of my system.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #696 - 02/14/15 at 00:13:02

Will, I can only use the "1" setting on my multi-wave, and I move back and forth between it and sinewave and think a "0.5" setting might be where I could leave it set and forgotten!

The P5 took a lot of time for me to dial in but I am so glad I moved up to it from the PPP, it's an amazing foundation to build from.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #697 - 02/14/15 at 01:09:34

Yes, I agree about the P5. Once I got it sorted out and fully burned in, I really like the foundation it provides. I might like .5 too...not sure. Every so often I try one and it is great for some recordings, but it never lasts for me.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #698 - 02/14/15 at 05:59:34

the P5 is an integral part of my system and has been for nearly 2 years now.  I had a PPP before the P5.  My first experience with the PPP was so profound... I was dumb-struck.  I had some "reliability" problems with my PPP where something was going awry with it and it caused transformers in my equipment to hum.  PS took care of it, but when the P5 came out, I upgraded.  I had both the PPP and the P5 for awhile before I sold the PPP.  Sonically, I'm not sure I could tell the two apart.  But I could tell IMMEDIATELY when my system was not plugged into one of them.  Still to this day, I will occasionally unplug a component from the P5 and plug it into the wall, just to see if I still "hear" a difference.  So far... this little test has done nothing but reaffirm that the P5 is a large part of the sonic goodness I have attained in my system.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #699 - 02/23/15 at 00:48:54

I am back to OS 1.21 (previous OS) and I am staying...until the next version!  On my system, this sounds more like music...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Send Topic Print