Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 17:58:05 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 89450 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #600 - 09/23/14 at 10:57:58

I gett that. I just hate tha PS Audio are reacting to the bad measurement critique and cranking one out so soon, also right after a huge discount on the new units which sort of is a fork in the eye to those who ponied up to buy early. Just a combo that makes them seem insecure and reactionary to me, and sticks in my craw. I can see an annual firmware change, etc. but this one so fast really makes me feel they rushed this out too early and/or just are treating their vision of it willy nilly.

I know I'm a different case, someone who doesn't want to tinker with his components in this way, someone who has become disenchanted with computers sneaking in and commanding my audio experience. But this really is a direction I didn't want to travel with my stereo and I guess I should have anticipated its increasing role and perhaps not gone this route. It just smacks of something unstable and unprofessoinal to me, whipping one out so soon; I can see why others aren't concerned or are happy but it has made me feel disappointed with PS Audio. The damned thing sounds amazing, I'm someone who leaves well enough alone and builds around it, not a constant messer with things. On top of that I have increasingly less and less time to just relax with my system and listen to my music, which is one of the rejuvenating and ecstatic parts of life for me, and here's more interfering with that time that I didn't ask for. Begins to pile straw on my back.

Enough said about this from me, I can see why others can be excited about this but for me right now, frustrated, wearied and saddened by my far to much time caring for deteriorating loved ones (once again!) it's just irritating.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #601 - 09/23/14 at 13:26:01

Hey guys, thanks for your support and advice here. And hopefully for your understanding of my very different viewpoint about things audio and computers.

I'm in rickety shape emotionally and it's spelling into my posting. I'm in love with and surprisingly very loved by someone I can't spend enough time with because of my duties taking care of my parents, and it's frustrating for the two of us. I don't get enough sleep or recreation time (including not enough listening time to my own music) and that colors my thinking and posting. I think I'm going to take a hiatus from this board again for a spell. This is becoming more and more a computer audio forum, which is fine, but not what interests me, in fact the opposite is the case. And soon the attention will be on Decfest which is great, but also frustrating. For the first time I'd really like to go, and I've never been geographically closer to Decware this century, but I am unable to be away from my parents for more than twelve hours or so, an irritating truth, and so can't attend, and don't feel like reading the blow by blow when I can't be there. Sigh. I'll be available via email and PM for the most part. Have fun, talk to you in a while.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #602 - 09/23/14 at 13:56:15

No worries, Lon, we get it.

Quote:
I just hate tha PS Audio are reacting to the bad measurement critique and cranking one out so soon

For those of you who have a DS, or care - this is not at all true. Ted has this issue fixed the same day the measurement was discovered, but never did a rushed Firmware release because it wasn't an audible issue, just a software one. The new firmware (as I alluded to previously) is the result of Ted getting some new measurement tools that allow him to measure, and look at his changes at a level he's never had before. This latest Firmware (v 1.21) that will be released soon is the result of Ted's having new tools that he can use for the very particular way the DS works.

Quote:
also right after a huge discount on the new units which sort of is a fork in the eye to those who ponied up to buy early.

This I agree with - it's being discussed in the PSA forums. It doesn't bother me, because I'm too cheap/broke to pay full price for the DS, so I narrowly dodged that fork in the eye. I get it though.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #603 - 09/23/14 at 14:00:08

Okay my last word on this: I see you believe the "I got better tools, that's why I'm rushing out this firmware" thing. It smells fishy to me, sorry. I have been smelling fish from a few manufacturers lately, that's cool, I just don't buy that particular excuse. Sorry. This is a band-aid measure for the Stereophile jab predominantly imo.

And the fork in the eye. . . doesn't bother me that much either by itself but in combination with other actions it has led me to impressions about PS A.

See you in a while crocodiles!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #604 - 09/23/14 at 14:15:28

Quote:
Okay my last word on this: I see you believe the "I got better tools, that's why I'm rushing out this firmware" thing. It smells fishy to me, sorry. I have been smelling fish from a few manufacturers lately, that's cool, I just don't buy that particular excuse. Sorry. This is a band-aid measure for the Stereophile jab predominantly imo.

I'm  on the DS beta team testing the new firmware - I can assure you I'm right.   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #605 - 09/23/14 at 14:55:39

Okay. . . you could also be part of the BS team, you're perfect for it. Smiley I'm not that easily assured. You can be drinking the koolaid. Smiley Really, I get you believe it, but from my vantage point I'm still skeptical.

I'll put the issue to rest on my part and just say I'm disappointed that they are already blanking around with the sound, jeez, give people a little breathing room.

Talk at you folks in a while.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #606 - 09/24/14 at 16:38:59

I just noticed that the new firmware was released.  Those are some pretty strong words from Paul regarding the performance impact.  I may hold off on upgrading until a get a better sense of the DS as it continues to break in.

"To say 'you ain't heard DirectStream yet' is NOT an understatement"  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #607 - 09/24/14 at 16:56:40

Yeah, take your time and get to know the DS before the upgrade. As long as your on one of the newer firmwares you're fine.

I'm still going through the last 5 firmwares the Beta team was supplied with to test, and this one that Ted, Paul, and Arnie picked is the most neutral. The last one I had felt a bit like it had a mid-bump, and I kinda liked it with my speakers, but this more Neutral version feels like it's the best of all. Basically it's everything you liked about the DS, slightly enhanced.

So take your time, get to know your DS, then upgrade and sit back. It's a more engaging experience now I feel.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #608 - 09/24/14 at 20:49:46

From Ted at PS Audio

"For those who are sure to ask:
JA first complained to me about a low level non-linearity – I was pretty sure I knew how to fix that and I was also pretty sure that it didn't matter.  Indeed no-one was particularly impressed with the FPGA code that had a quick patch for the low level non-linearities.  But I was embarrassed that JA found those problems instead of us so I ordered a new scope that was optimized for audio and had 48dB more resolution in the audio band.
Something Paul brought up when we were thinking about how best to address the low level distortion reminded me of a tradeoff in the FPGA we'd settled on quite a while back on a prototype board – much to my surprise with the new scope I could clearly see changes in distortion as I tried different tradeoffs.  And best of all, finding the optimal code freed up some resources in the FPGA.
So not only did we get cleaner measurements but with the newer smaller code is was also easier to see and hear the results of trying some other FPGA optimizations that were rattling around in my mind.
As Paul mentioned a big surprise from the aggregated changes was a lower noise floor.  A lower noise floor always brings other benefits.
I don't think there's a simple description of any of the changes – they are all small things that add up to a result larger than we expected."

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #609 - 09/24/14 at 20:59:48

LR...what speakers are you using these days?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #610 - 09/24/14 at 23:56:52

Dave1210 wrote on 09/24/14 at 16:38:59:
I just noticed that the new firmware was released.  Those are some pretty strong words from Paul regarding the performance impact.  I may hold off on upgrading until a get a better sense of the DS as it continues to break in.

"To say 'you ain't heard DirectStream yet' is NOT an understatement"  

So much hype from manufacturers lately. Between Steve and Paul you can open up a new surplus cheese distribution center. Smiley

I downloaded this, unzipped it, added it to one of the PS Audio SD cards emptied out, put it in, cycled it back on from the back. . . and no blinking LEDs, no real change at all in sound. I just can't do these things it seems. Hopeless. Giving up for now.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #611 - 09/25/14 at 05:00:35

Quote:
LR...what speakers are you using these days?

I've got 4 pair in my room right now, but two don't count.  :)

My 944 are my "reference" - and I went back to them to test the firmware(s) since it's what I'm most familiar with, and the changes would be more obvious to me with them. I came in late to the Firmware team, and all decisions were made just as I rolled in and said Hello. So I'm listening to the current release only a few days ahead of everyone else. Smiley

I also have my "new" Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers - which I like a lot - the tweeters are amazing, but the MG944 overall I think are a faster, better balanced speaker, though terribly beamy...especially when compared to the AG Reference 3.1. I've not given the DAC a spin on the 3.1 yet, hell, I've hardly had any time to *crank* the system or really do some critical listening with the long nights at work and basement demolition I'm working on. Plus Bri is complaining that it's too loud a lot...I'm trying not to piss her off.  :)

I had about 30 minutes listening time before Bri came home tonight, and I gave the firmware another spin (I'm still on beta, not final release - it should in theory be the same). I hear some great stuff that I really like (more depth, instruments take up more space in the room, even better timbre! ), but then I'm hearing something I don't like that I can't quite put my finger on - a slight fragility to the upper mids or something. It could just be the faults in the recordings, it could be the speakers, it could be the crossover...hell, it could be my speaker placement with 4 pairs of speakers in the room! So I've not pinned it on the firmware...in fact, I really doubt it is the firmware considering Ted's new microscopic view of distortion. But there is something there I don't like...just niggling me in the back of the neck. I need to figure it out and fast! The music is *so* good right now, if I can resolve this one issue, I'll be golden.  

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #612 - 09/26/14 at 18:38:54

120+ hours of break in and still going.  I took the day off and have been listening all day.  Also, I couldn't resist doing the firmware upgrade, so I am now running 1.2.1.  

This is without question the best sound I have ever had in this room.  I really thought the PWD was an excellent DAC, but the DS is a fairly large step up, especially with the latest firmware.    

The amount of detail retrieved from Redbook is impressive, and it's not fatiguing at all.  Bass seems to have increased with the new firmware, but without losing any of the detail.  At first, I thought the new firmware was a little 'drier' than the previous version, but all the wetness/air is back and then some.  Soundstage has expanded as well.

Enjoying the music immensely...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #613 - 09/26/14 at 19:04:35

Cool Dave. You still have even more refinement ahead of you if my experience is similar to yours. Another 300 hours or so and you'll be even happier!

I have an SD card with the firmware on the way to me from PS Audio. I expect I'll enjoy the upgrade. . . maybe not quite as much as many of the excited people on the PS Audio forum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #614 - 09/30/14 at 18:39:39

Absolute Sound weighs in on the upgrade.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ps-audio-releases-significant-firmware...

September 29, 2014 - PS Audio's DirectStream DAC, reviewed in Issue 245, has been updated with a firmware upgrade. Instead of using a standard DAC chip, the DirectStream DAC uses a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), programmed by designer Ted Smith, to perform all DAC functions. That makes it easier to implement firmware changes to the DAC's functions, and several have been made already. But version 1.2.1 is touted as a major upgrade to the sound of the DAC, to the extent that PS Audio CEO  Paul McGowan is describing it as a "new DAC." So of course, I had to see how it stacks up against the original DAC. Actually, I had already installed one upgrade to the DAC, with version number 1.1.5, and that made a distinct improvement. So I compared the new firmware upgrade to version 1.1.5.

Firmware upgrades for the DirectStream DAC are recorded on SD cards like those used for camera memory. You can download the upgrade files from the PS Audio website and copy them onto the SD card. Then you turn off the DirectStream DAC, insert the SD card in a slot in the rear of the DAC (contacts facing up), and turn the power back on. The front button with the PS Audio logo will blink while the upgrade is being installed. When the blinking stops, the upgrade has been performed, and the DAC will go through its normal initialization process. You can remove the SD card and enjoy the hopefully improved sound.

So does the upgrade deserve all the fuss PS Audio is making about it? In a word, yes. Playing the DSD version of Shelby Lynne's Just a Little Lovin' album, the first thing I noticed was deeper bass, with more impact. Also, there was more air around Lynne's voice, with better focus and detail, and a wider soundstage. I thought leading edge transients were a bit sharper, also. None of these changes made an enormous difference, but the upgrade is definitely a must-do, especially since it's free. Well, almost; you have to buy an SD card, and once you buy one, you can reuse it for the next upgrade. If your camera uses SD card, use one of those.

Does the upgrade deserve to be described as a new DAC? Well, it is a new DAC--the inner circuitry has been changed, and to my ear, noticeably improved. I've paid lots of money for hardware upgrades to components that made no more improvements than PS Audio's DirectStream DAC upgrade--and it's free. Or if you prefer, PS Audio will send it to you on an SD card for $19.95.

(NOTE: that's not the correct price from PS Audio).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #615 - 10/01/14 at 20:59:44

I'm still waiting on the firmware from PS Audio but have to say that the further seasoning of my DircectStream is giving me amazing sound. Redbook is where it's at for me and Redbook shines gloriously with the DirectStream. I don't get to spend enough time listening and savor every second when I can.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #616 - 10/06/14 at 20:23:24

What a mess. Turns out PS Audio sent a card with the firmware to my previous Austin address . . . twice. . . even though my requesting email had my current address within it, plainly.

So now having to wait yet again for a card I decided to try to download onto the card IN the DS one more time. Think I did it successfully. But. . . when I rebooted the machine it blinks. . . for about forty minutes. That's not right. I rebooted again with and without the card. . . and I have no DS. Just a blinking light.

Shit.

I felt doom from the start of this and I was right.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #617 - 10/06/14 at 21:02:19

Hey Lon,

Don't know if this will help. I seem to recall that when I did the firmware upgrade for the P5, that I opened the downloaded update folder and then dragged the actual files to the SD card. So the only things on the SD card were were the files not in the folder. Then stick the card in the PSA unit after shutting down and start up..

Could be worth a try....

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #618 - 10/06/14 at 21:08:43

That's what I did will, I downloaded the folder, took the files out, put them in the card, and then did the reboot.

Oh well. Waiting to hear from PS Audio.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #619 - 10/06/14 at 22:28:34

Wow, so sorry to hear about that Lon.  Hopefully there can be something done like a factory reset or something to that effect?  Keep us posted!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #620 - 10/06/14 at 22:54:27

Thanks, this is frustrating but I have other sources to listen to, and spend too little time with the system, I'll get it squared away eventually. But I think I'll stick with this firmware if they come out with others soon, this is not what I bargained for when I bought it.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #621 - 10/07/14 at 20:11:13

Lon,

Try reformatting the SD card you're using and then load the files from the PS Audio download.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #622 - 10/07/14 at 20:16:44

I don't know how to reformat a card. I know nothing about cards. I'll just wait for the card from PS Audio.

Why wouldn't the csrd taken out of the unit be properly formatted? It's all Greek to me.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #623 - 10/07/14 at 20:26:54

If you know how to find the SD card when it's in your computer, right click on it and select format. Choose full format - FAT 32. It will take a few minutes. When it's done load the 7 files from the PSA download folder: 11-061-01-1-FMC-12.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #624 - 10/07/14 at 20:36:13

That doesn't work for me, I don't have a PC, I have a Mac.

Thanks though, that made me investigate, I looked up how to do that in Mac and formatted it FAT, it's a 2G card,  and reloaded the seven files and have the same problem.

Sigh.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #625 - 10/07/14 at 23:12:17

Lon,

If you haven’t done so already, try this (if you are up for it) and let me know how it goes.  

1)      Insert the SD Card into the Mac (contacts down)
2)      Select all of the files on the SD Card, hit backspace or delete, whichever button sends the files to the Recyle bin.  Once that happens you won’t be able to see any files on the SD Card.  
3)      Next go to Finder, and empty your trash.  
4)      Now reopen the SD Card by clicking on it.  Again, there should be no files on the card.  Leave this window open.
5)      Re-download the new firmware from the PS Audio website.
6)      Highlight the files and drag them onto the SD Card.  Do not drag the folder, just the files.
7)      Confirm the files on the SD Card match exactly with what was downloaded.  File sizes, etc.
8)      Eject the SD Card from the Mac by clicking the Eject button.
9)      Insert into the DS (contacts up), power on and hopefully you’ll be enjoying music in a few minutes.

If that doesn’t work, I have one more thing for you to try (again, if you are up for it).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #626 - 10/07/14 at 23:19:21

Dave, I have done that over and over and it doesn't do the job.

I'm away from home for the rest of the evening. I do want to hear what you next have to offer, but I'm just about done with this. I will have the card, finally, two weeks after I ordered it, in a day or two from PS Audio. They are telling me that will totally do the trick. I'm beginning to think I have another problem, but hope they are right as I'd hate to send the unit back to the mothership.

In the meantime I'm pretty astounded at how well the Denon DCD-A100 SACD player/DAC is doing in the system. That sucker was a steal at the closeout price. Redbook is about 85% of what the DS is; I've been running it through my CSP2+. And it does SACD in an amazing manner, and you can access its excellent DAC via coaxial, optical and USB. I've never had a player this well-built either.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=anniversarycol...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #627 - 10/07/14 at 23:30:47

I suppose there are two things:

1) Follow the above procedure but with an older version of the firmware.  

2) Completely Erase/Reformat the SD card using the Disc Utility application on the Mac.  After erasing using Disc Utility, I would then download and try to re-install an older version of the firmware  (following the steps above) vs. the latest version.  If you haven't tried this, I can step you through it.

Apologies if none of this is new...I know you have been on the phone with PS Audio, and have probably been getting feedback on the PS forum...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #628 - 10/07/14 at 23:38:02

I did erase and reformat the card. I've done all this except try an older firmware. I don't want to do that at this time . . . I'm just burned out on it and I don't want to mess with older firmware. I have dedicated about a third of my this week especially limited free time to this the last few days, and that's precious time just wasted.

I'll just wait til I get the "official" card they say will be the cure for my ailment. I hope so, but I"m beginning to have suspicions. Jeez I wish I had never tried this, this firmware juggling is just . . . not what I want.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #629 - 10/08/14 at 00:02:49

Lon...I would try installing your previous firmware.  This has worked in the past for folks who had a 'bad install'.  In theory, you should be able to switch back and forth between firmwares seemlessly, so it won't hurt to try re-installing your previous firmware.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #630 - 10/08/14 at 00:23:50

I'm done. This has made me so frustrated that I have just turned the unit off. I'm waiting til the card arrives from PS Audio.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #631 - 10/08/14 at 00:33:31

Sorry Lon.  Didn't mean to reopen the wound.  Just trying to help.  Hope you get things working in the next day or so.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.   Cheers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #632 - 10/08/14 at 00:58:19

No you didn't reopen the wound and I appreciate the help. I just don't like computers and doing things like this and I have spent far too much time on this and in place of relaxing things and I'm just going to wait for what PS Audio has sent, this time to the correct address, third time may be the charm. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #633 - 10/10/14 at 19:53:40

Still no card, still no DirectStream.

I must say this has caused me to really analyze and avail myself of the sound of the Denon DCD-A100. Spectacular sound to be honest, especially for the price I paid for this unit. The 32 bit processing is making beautiful Redbook sound that is different from and nearly as deeply satisfying as the DirectStream. So much so that I think I may move it into my second system as the nerve-center there, and can utilize its DAC for my Blu-ray player as I am doing currently with the PWD Mk II there. And I can then remove from the system the PWT and PWD and the Arcam SACD player (nice player, SACD very similar to the Denons) and eliminate two power cords and a set of interconnects and still have great sound (for this system that gets little use). And sell those other components perhaps to upgrade my turntable. Something I'm thinking about because this Denon player sounds so damned good.

What it has a bit over the DirectStream (pre-this upcoming, I hope, upgrade at least) is a bit of that body that Eric talks of. The sound is full and rich and yet also detailed, and the tonal balance is on the mellow side. Really surprisingly good sound. . . I hadn't really listened to Redbook on this since it has broken in and seasoned.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #634 - 10/10/14 at 20:19:28

Lon...glad to hear you are enjoying music on your SACD player while the DS is down.  I cannot believe you still don't have an SD Card from PS Audio.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #635 - 10/10/14 at 21:09:17

Me either Dave. It's like I broke a mirror or stepped under a ladder or something. I'm not happy with this update BS.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #636 - 10/10/14 at 23:28:42

Well, got the card in the mail (I was told it was coming quickly via UPS with tracking, came instead media mail).

Put it in. Rebooted. Same stinking situation, endlessly flashing light. No DirectStream to listen to.

^&%$

I wish I'd never tried the card myself, apparently I did it right but made my machine inoperable; I at least would have been able to use it a few days longer. Looks as if I'll have to send it back and wait weeks longer still.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #637 - 10/10/14 at 23:39:40

Lon.  If you are up for it, please try installing an older version of the firmware.  I doubt there is something wrong with your hardware.  It's possible but not not probable.  Once you get an older firmware working the new firmware should install without a problem.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #638 - 10/10/14 at 23:43:30

I did try that earlier today before the mail. Same thing, nothing but flashing light.

Paul MacGowan says "this only happens if the firmware that turns it from a PWD to a DirectStream has not been installed." But I had them install a kit, and the screen said I had a DirectStream and 1.1.7 firmware.

It looks as if I'll be sending it back, I'm waiting to hear from them. Very frustrating from start to finish on this, I had a sense of foreboding that turned real. Very disappointing.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #639 - 10/11/14 at 00:44:51

Don't know what else to tell you.  I assume you unplugged the DS from the PP for at least 10 minutes at some point.  Sometimes unplugging my plasma TV is the only thing that will get it to reset.  If not, try that and then the install.  Other than that, I suppose sending it back is the only option.  Bummer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #640 - 10/11/14 at 01:03:14

Thanks for the help Dave. I've tried that and everything. I'm waiting to hear back from them but will probably have to send it back. Even more of my precious spare time wasted doing that. Sigh.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #641 - 10/11/14 at 16:02:57

PS Audio customer service kindof sucks. No one responded to me Another owner sent me files that "Alex" had sent him that got him past my problem, but they didn't work for me. Finally this morning Paul MacGowan emailed me and said he'd get Alex or Mayoura to send me an RMA on Monday and I'll be sending it back.

Have the PWD Mk II in now. Certainly a bit of a step down like my DCD-A100 is but very listenable, in fact sort of like an old friend. Decided to break in some new output tubes as well, TAD KT66--initial impresions are very positive.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #642 - 10/11/14 at 17:10:54

What a drag Lon. Bad service causes a loss of respect and trust for me.

Sending it back again will surely resolve it though...one way or another.

How would you characterize the TADs compared to Genalex and Tungsols.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #643 - 10/11/14 at 18:08:14

will, I might have been a little harsh in that assessment. I just realized they are all at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. That the president of the company contacted me from there says a lot really. I know they'll fix me up, and if listening and even relaxing and alone time weren't such precious commodities in my life this would just be a little bump in a smooth road.

It's early to tell with the TAD precise differences. I was struck that they look the most like the old KT66 tubes I knew in the past. Some say they are just Shuagang rebranded; TAD says that they are manufactured to their specs; from pics it seems they are a little different. Sonically. . .they are very close to the Genelax right out of the box, I only have about 20 hours on them in my second system, and a morning in the main. They may have a bit more of a "classic" sound than the Genelax right now, which is fine with me. I was not unhappy with those, but I did want to replace the Tung-Sols in the Torii Mk II at my Dad's; those just have a bright nature that are just a bit too much with the ERRs. So either the Genelax or the TADs will go there, and I think they'll be great there.

Compared to the Tung-Sol (not directly, it's been weeks since they were in my main system) I would say the TADs are richer than the Tung-Sol overall, though in some rooms and systems (such as my bedroom system) they work really really well, I guess I might say with the HR-1s the Tung-Sols are a better fit than with the ERRs.

Edit to add: there's a lot of bass energy in this TADs. I'm watching a Blu-ray (Hannibal, Season One, creepy!) with a lot of low end and it's being pumped out very energetically,

Also wanted to add: all three tube quads are cryo'd from cryoset.com

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #644 - 10/11/14 at 19:55:19

Lon,

What a nightmare.

Here's a picture of PS Audio's room at RMAF. I guess that's their new hybrid amps on the floor. The only non-PSA equipment in the rack is a Aesthetix Calypso preamp.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #645 - 10/11/14 at 20:09:18

Looks like a sweet setup.  I think the amp is the unit on the right (on the floor), because it doesn't have a screen.  The unit on the left looks like another P10.  

Kana...how does the system sound?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #646 - 10/11/14 at 20:32:48

Ah, the nightmare is over if it was one. All that waiting and all that unease not knowing what was going to happen. I have the PWD Mk II in the system now that I took out to fit in the DirectStream, it's a great sounding conponent, I'll be fine til I get the DirectStream back.

Interesting room. But I'm okay not hearing it.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #647 - 10/11/14 at 20:56:30

Dave,

Neither of the boxes on the floor have displays.

The P10 is on the bottom of the rack, The prototype amps use the P!0 case. Two stereo amps for the bi-amp'd Betas.

I'm not at the show, but people who heard the system said- "Excellent. A little bass heavy - but very 3D"

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #648 - 10/11/14 at 21:06:12

Thanks for the clarification Kana.  Looked like the one on the left had a screen in the picture, but makes sense that you need two amps for that system.  I think they are supposed to have a bigger room, but if not treated properly I could see how the bass could overwhelm.  I heard Arnie was there to help with the setup so it probably sounds as good as it can in that room.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #649 - 10/12/14 at 00:06:08

Thanks for the thoughts on the TAD KT66 Lon.

I don't think you were overreacting about PS Audio. Service is a big deal in terms of getting all we can from our gear, and we take it pretty seriously. Yours has been down a long time...what if you did not have backup? And their stuff is not cheap... I would think they would do better, especially for a small company where word of mouth is a big deal. I mean jeez...the wrong address twice...and then media mail%^&*()

Alex and Mayoura were nice when I spoke with them, and they tried, but they were not that up on the P5 details...vague, though Mayoura did get me hooked up with Paul which was helpful. I guess it happens where small companies making good stuff can start assuming their own sense of self worth is automatically contagious, sometimes losing some of the importance of customer care and satisfaction.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Send Topic Print