Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 08:03:45 

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 89200 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #500 - 08/15/14 at 02:22:32

So we don't clutter up this thread, I recommend we start a new thread for our Software settings.  I just took screenshots of my Audirvana settings and will start a post...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #501 - 08/15/14 at 14:57:48

I bet I will need the upgraded PSU unit for my HD. With $400 off the HD because the HX is out...no complaints about buying it. I look forward once again to your impressions Palomino an LR...when you use the PSU this weekend.

I'm sure you will iron out your SPL level matching too. Awesome LR, how you're working on a solution to the voltage output issue of the ZMA. I was skeptical getting Steve's CSP3 (Jupiter Caps). However, it is transparent....no hyperbole...or I would not use it in front of my ZMA. The added definition an weight with all the detail I love (read: Musical)....an of course...the headroom/output/SPL.

After some burn in...I will put my DTI Pro-32 in front of the Chord via my additional Illuminati D-60. It might lock an it might not.  It will be fun to try.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-alchemy-dti149pro-32-jitter-filter

Yeah, I know, old school! However, it has not stopped doing what it does so well! I will use 16 bit (not 18, 20, 22 or 24). In essence, just jitter reduction....sending it to the FPGA Chord. It might lock well (?).... .

The Chord is out for delivery Saturday!  I should have before I have to run to the Vike's game.  I won't get to it until Monday night though.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #502 - 08/15/14 at 17:32:11

On the Preamp front - every time I see Steve, I've slipped into the conversation somewhere that we need a switching preamp with remote. And since the ZMA loves XLR so much, I've added, switching, XLR preamp, with remote to my mantra.  :)

I'm not holding my breath, but the seed has been planted.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #503 - 08/15/14 at 18:50:52

Has my vote too. I would love to send my CSP3 to Steve with my ZMA...have the XLR's done on both an the remote installed.

It can be done.

In regards to the XLR. Steve has stated with the CSP3 and his modified Jupiter Caps...you don't need XLR. I would consider trying it though, an paying for it. I would get the loner XLR Kimber Select KS1030's from the CableCo via Joe.

My main interest is the remote option alone. It can be done...an Steve could option using an OEM Sony remote like Anedio uses. I have a Anedio D2 in my Bedroom System with just that...a Sony remote; see manual at Anedio's Website. Steve could implement it while keeping the noise out. I would not object to the volume motor being mounted external...to tell the truth.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #504 - 08/15/14 at 18:54:11

Stone, you have contact info for Joe, or is it easily found on the page?

I might just go ahead and try the loaner Kimber Select KS1030 and see what I see.

PM me please.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #505 - 08/15/14 at 19:06:30

As a follow up to my post #83, I confirmed today that the DS mute function  does not mute the analog outputs. It cuts off the digital signal to the output stage, but the analog outputs remain active.

If you have your DS connected directly to your amp as I do, I recommend that you put the DS into standby before you power down your amp.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #506 - 08/15/14 at 19:14:03

I could PM you. But, it is good to have the Cable Co out there on this thread for general knowledge. As we might stray a little off the OP...we always come back to it. I hate those sites that have carnival barkers that yell: "back to the OP" (original post for those unfamiliar). I won't participate on the Polk Forum...because of that reason...they are fascist zealots about protocol over there. Apparently, they don't have any power at work..... .

Anyway, I digressed!

LR, call Joe direct at the CableCo....great guy. I recently noticed that the 1030 in RCA had been omitted from the scrolling page and he got it back on there asap. Super nice guy....great company to do business with.

But be forewarned. I can't use my Kimber Select with my Parker Crusader's at 95db 1/watt/meter.  The resolution crushes them and the high end treble sweetness/no fatigue is gone. Simply put-they can't handle the ZERO viscosity!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #507 - 08/15/14 at 19:15:08

LR, If you're interested in a balanced switching preamp with a remote, take a look at the Aesthetix Calypso. Paul McGowan uses one in his system.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #508 - 08/15/14 at 19:26:07

Well, the whole idea behind Steve's CSP3...is to do what the Calypso does via RCA/unbalanced. Two inputs an one output an mono out (Y connect for Sub).....kinda keeps cost down.

Their are a lot of great preamps in that price range...their should be. The new Audio Research Pre...comes to mind too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #509 - 08/15/14 at 20:15:49

I think Paul has stated that the Calypso reduces micro detail and ambiance cues vs. running direct.  Sounds similar to LR's experience with the CSP3 at Steve's.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #510 - 08/15/14 at 20:49:28

Quote:
LR, If you're interested in a balanced switching preamp with a remote, take a look at the Aesthetix Calypso. Paul McGowan uses one in his system.

I'm interested in vintage Porsche as well; it doesn't mean I can afford one unfortunately.

The Calypso is on my radar - it must be well liked, because I just haven't seen one pop up used anywhere.

Quote:
I think Paul has stated that the Calypso reduces micro detail and ambiance cues vs. running direct.  Sounds similar to LR's experience with the CSP3 at Steve's.

This is true on both points. When we did our DS listening session at Steve's shop, we went back and forth a bit about this. With the CSP3 we gained some density and more of that tape like quality I've come to love from Reel to Reel - but at the expense of  *some* detail and  "ambient retrieval" (I'm really liking that term - thanks Steve Hoffman) . That ambient reverberation that's captured (or faked) in recordings is important to me, as I believe it's part of the key to getting that holographic sound I love. Steve shrugged it off part of the compromise to gain density, but Dave and I rather liked the details as they were. Then the more we listened, the more it seemed this density vs detail tug-of-war seemed to change song by song and we started discussing the need to be able to switch out the preamp or have it in and all sorts of other silliness. At that point I bowed out - if I can't get a preamp that gives me the voltage the ZMA needs, gives me at least a little bit of the density I want, without losing detail and ambient retrieval - then I'll just continue to run straight to amp.

IMHO, I should be able to get all that - somewhere.

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #511 - 08/15/14 at 23:35:09

Quote:
if I can't get a preamp that gives me the voltage the ZMA needs, gives me at least a little bit of the density I want, without losing detail and ambient retrieval - then I'll just continue to run straight to amp.

A well burned in jupitered CSP3 with good cables and the right tubes does this every day for me. Stock tubes won't do it.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #512 - 08/16/14 at 14:59:34

Do I need the DirectStream to hear what Paul is describing in the Shelby Lynne track? ; )

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bleeding-music/

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #513 - 08/16/14 at 18:08:41

I'm not playing the detail vs. density fight. I have the detail an ambient retrieval.

I have 4 pair of Speakers I use for comparisons. Which include the 95db Parkers.

In 20 bit dither, probably only truncating a couple bits via my remote volume control to my AA DAC....really shines out the ambient cues an detail. Furthermore, I have a Super ZEN CKC an my SE84CS with Svetlana SV83 wide bandwidth Video Tubes, that Steve build his empire upon. Read: ambient cues an detail...run direct from DAC.

Also, I did not like the Torii III I owned. I sold it, it could not do what my SE84CS could do. I have not sold the CSP3 an ZMA....because it can do what my SE84CS with Svetlana SV83's can do....with headroom.

So, I think I'm qualified to comment.

I was worried about the ZMA not providing those details an Ambient Retrieval....with the CSP3. I have not lost these aspects. So, it begs the question why you lose this aspect of playback LR? I would say cables matter an Speakers. You're in the Rabbit Hole now...you need to persue high end cables an different Speakers IMHO.

We know many here, like I, use 89 - 92db Speakers....from Jenzens to Martin Logans..... .

Cables are easy through CableCo. But, do get IC's to go with matching Speaker Cable. Speakers are heavy...but I do it...just had a pair of Sonus Faber's in....here an gone.  Food for thought..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #514 - 08/16/14 at 18:25:38

I am a little disappointed in AD's review of the new DS. When he owned and was Editor an Chief of The Listener Magazine (I own an have read just about all of them)....Art would have written a more, lets say LESS, politically correct review.

I will comment more/later.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #515 - 08/16/14 at 18:56:37

Stone said Quote:
I was worried about the ZMA not providing those details an Ambient Retrieval....with the CSP3. I have not lost these aspects. So, it begs the question why you lose this aspect of playback LR? I would say cables matter an Speakers. You're in the Rabbit Hole now...you need to persue high end cables an different Speakers

I think you are "qualified to comment" also because you had the DS for a month.

This is really interesting to me Stone. Are you suggesting that you had no loss of micro detail, including ambient information?

Maybe our builds were a little different, but using the same cables throughout with the addition of some really good Grover silvers the CSP3 did not cut out micro information, but it masked it enough that I did not like it. The MKIV may be a factor being family, but pretty different from the MKIII, exceptional micro detail being a notable factor, especially with it enhanced by the reconstructive feedback circuit.

Anyway...this is all good cables, a DAC that was defined in large part by amazing micro detail and ambience in development, and my very revealing, tweaked HR-1s...the only change was the CSP3, and it took away enough micro detail for me to seriously consider selling it.

More burnin and mostly tubes solved it, now the sound being a little different, but without masking the excellent micro detail the Tranquility and MKIV could pull. And all else was the same.

My system is crazy good at micro detail and all that it brings to the presentation. Good cables throughout, good fuses, good room, good vibration control, and tubed to pull the most from the music, with micro information a priority in the balance, not just for great ambience, but for all it does throughout the spectrum.

So I don't understand why the CSP3 made such a difference here and not there. Any thoughts?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #516 - 08/18/14 at 14:29:01

I got the linear power supply for the Chord QuteHD on Friday.  I was in Michigan, but had my son burn it in over the weekend.

Upon returning home, I hooked it up and played (yes, the king of pop) Billie Jean and it tamed the bass and sounded much closer to the DS.  I still think I like the DS better for this particular cut, but it was much closer.

So we have some more comparin' to do Raven.

I put some other comments on the Chord thread.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #517 - 08/18/14 at 17:59:51

Quote:
Do I need the DirectStream to hear what Paul is describing in the Shelby Lynne track? ; )

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/bleeding-music/

Paul didn't even know what he was talking about - LOL

I was about to post in the comments that the Bleed mentioned was microphone bleed, but apparently a flood of other people beat me to it.

I don't think I hear the Print Through that he mentions, it makes me want to go back and listen to it more thoroughly.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #518 - 08/18/14 at 17:59:55

I'm not suggesting...I am saying I have no loss. With my cables an Speakers of 91db efficiency. Kimber Select does take you there with the correct Speakers.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #519 - 08/18/14 at 20:01:13

Interesting- those must be good ICs indeed!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #520 - 08/18/14 at 21:35:19

LR…I can hear the pre-echo, but I really have to listen for it.  If I remember correctly, it happens at about 2:48.  

I’m sure Paul’s system is quite a bit more revealing than mine.  I would like to visit PSA and listen to the IRS System in Music Room 1, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon!    

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #521 - 08/18/14 at 21:38:49

I was talking to Brianne about us going out to the RMAF this year, but I think it's the weekend right after Decfest. Too much for me that month, considering I have some big software upgrades going on at work around that same time. But I thought about going out there, and see if Paul could spare some time for me to listen to Music Room 1. Especially now that those speakers have been properly setup!

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #522 - 08/19/14 at 01:25:52

Quote:
Reply #511 - 08/15/14 at 5:35pm

LR - "if I can't get a preamp that gives me the voltage the ZMA needs, gives me at least a little bit of the density I want, without losing detail and ambient retrieval - then I'll just continue to run straight to amp."

WILL - "A well burned in jupitered CSP3 with good cables and the right tubes does this every day for me. Stock tubes won't do it."

LR, Yes, that's right.  I made it pretty clear that the CSP3 we tried that night was brand new, un-burned in and with untested, stock tubes.  Perhaps that's why I shrugged off the complaint.  I'm going to assume you forgot or didn't hear me, because it almost seems as though you've made a buying decision based on how an unburned in preamp sounds... Now, I know you're way more cautious than that.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #523 - 08/19/14 at 03:49:20

Chill Boss!

I haven't made any buying decisions at all yet. And the CPS3 is still #1 on my list!

Everything needs to prove itself to me in my system.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #524 - 08/19/14 at 19:05:53

Heck Will, with the quality an efficiency of your HR1's. You probably have more ambient retrieval than me; where my Select Cables are not needed in your System. I would bet on it. Especially, based on my two visits to Decware and great sound.

I will certainly be putting my SE84CS an CKC back in soon for ~more~ comparisons (run direct of course).  

As I stated though, the CSP3 & ZMA are my SE84CS. Total enthralling Magic with Headroom! .....now with 37 hours on the Chord QuteHD DAC....the grin on my face is starting to hurt.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #525 - 08/19/14 at 19:10:25

Well, the DirectStream has been in my system two weeks almost to the minute.

It doesn't at all sound as it did when it first arrived, or at the end of the first week, or even yesterday. It has been improving. The tonal balance has become even more realistically full and there is more depth to the sound stage and imaging.

Redbook is really stunning with this DAC. But even Time Warner digital cable sound is involving in a way it hasn't been before.

I'm glad I sent this one back for an upgrade, really glad.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #526 - 08/19/14 at 19:38:19

stone_of_tone wrote on 08/19/14 at 19:05:53:
Heck Will, with the quality an efficiency of your HR1's. You probably have more ambient retrieval than me; where my Select Cables are not needed in your System. I would bet on it. Especially, based on my two visits to Decware and great sound.

I will certainly be putting my SE84CS an CKC back in soon for ~more~ comparisons (run direct of course).  

As I stated though, the CSP3 & ZMA are my SE84CS. Total enthralling Magic with Headroom! .....now with 37 hours on the Chord CuteHD DAC....the grin on my face is starting to hurt.

I just love the fact that the Super Zen, the least expensive amp in Decware's lineup can compete and has the same magic as their top tier amps and is still highly regarded.  I'm getting the sense that a good description of the ZMA is the Super Zen on steroids Grin.  

The ZMA must be something special, and although it is way above my budget ... It makes me think that if I were to get a set of Super Zens and set them up as monos, it may get me into the same ballpark sound wise with the ZMA.  I think this would be something special and give me enough headroom for my 93dB Omegas to cover all bases, but in the mean time I'm jealous of you guys.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #527 - 08/20/14 at 03:35:51

I've listed my DS for sale here and on Agon.

If a Decware forum member is interested, I will give them a special price.

PM me if you're interested.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #528 - 08/20/14 at 06:16:34

Stone,

Since ambience is a big part of the DS discussion, and the CSP also, I guess this segue is in the topic? I do have really good micro detail and associated complex ambience. And the HR-1s surely can reveal this. But mine have become a more resolving version, so they reveal it more due to increased resonance damping, more controlled bass, and a really sweet cap and resistor arrangement, opening the top in a smooth but also textured way.

Your post got me to looking at ICs. I switched the Grovers to the amp side of the CSP, and the VHAudio DIY silvers to the DAC side. The VHaudio are more like music to me and the Grovers just a little "too good" doing everything exceptionally, but a bit in the face...just a little. This is why I have been using the VH on the amp side. But with the Grovers there the micro detail increased. Enough that the ambience became a bit over done for me.

I realized that what I love about this room is its ambient contributions, its just-right diffused liveness. I depend on the system revealing a lot of ambient information for making the sound realer, placing instruments in space and the getting the feel of the recording space. But if the system goes too far into the reverbs, or the recording room space, it dominates the experience making it seem more like a recording. With a good balance, though (still loads of micro detail) then the recording space fills up my room, AND mixes with my room space, making it sound like it IS in this room (though without walls!). I had not quite gotten to the level of too much ambience before, so I did not know how important this balance of room and recording space is for the live player sound I love. Always learning...

Whatever level of ambient information, a grin that is so persistant that it hurts is surely the best thing going!

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #529 - 08/20/14 at 07:00:49

Will, have you heard a DS in your system?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #530 - 08/20/14 at 07:14:03

No Kana. I am content with my Tranquility playing all Rebook.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #531 - 08/20/14 at 07:24:57

Will,

With all due respect, I don't understand how you can comment on something you've ever heard in your system.

I've always tried to only comment on equipment I've heard in my system.

I'm obviously going to take a loss on my DS, but I wanted to hear it in my
system.

Living in paradise has its costs.

PS- I was hoping the difference between the DS and Pandora Signature were small and I could get the promised Bridge II to play my networked files, but 30 minutes after the Pandora Signature warmed up, it was no contest.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #532 - 08/20/14 at 15:36:50

Hey Kana,

My posts here have been relative to comments in this thread related to DS/DAC use...computers, alternative DACs, player software, CSP3, all things I know from personal experience. In response to posts about alternative DACs, I did make a personal comment on the DS...its high price of admission.

My most recent post is in response to the segue about CSP3 micro detail retrieval, an issue that came up relative to folks impressions that the DS is really good at micro detail. This is an area I have spent a lot of time sorting out to bring the CSP3 into sync with my very resolving DAC and amp.

So I may have, but don't recall commenting on the DS performance directly.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #533 - 08/20/14 at 22:15:01

will wrote on 08/20/14 at 15:36:50:
Hey Kana,

My posts here have been relative to comments in this thread related to DS/DAC use...computers, alternative DACs, player software, CSP3, all things I know from personal experience. In response to posts about alternative DACs, I did make a personal comment on the DS...its high price of admission.

My most recent post is in response to the segue about CSP3 micro detail retrieval, an issue that came up relative to folks impressions that the DS is really good at micro detail. This is an area I have spent a lot of time sorting out to bring the CSP3 into sync with my very resolving DAC and amp.

So I may have, but don't recall commenting on the DS performance directly.

@ Kana, yes I was wondering the same thing as I have not read a post from Will related directly to the performance of the DS.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #534 - 08/22/14 at 03:07:09

Quote:
Reply #523 - 08/18/14 at 9:49pm
Chill Boss!

I haven't made any buying decisions at all yet. And the CPS3 is still #1 on my list!

Everything needs to prove itself to me in my system.

Just reminding you of what you heard... Wink  Trick picture btw!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #535 - 08/23/14 at 00:38:02

The Stereophile DS review is now on line:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-da-processo...

Dudley didn't try using the DirectStream to directly drive any of his amps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #536 - 08/23/14 at 01:18:25

Interesting review. The "impact" and "forwardness" that several reviewers seem to miss . . . I sure don't, it's absence is one of the big pluses for me of the DAC.

So much blather made about the measured "defect" on line. . .it sure seems to bother a lot of people who have never heard the DAC!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #537 - 08/23/14 at 02:38:18

On another forum someone posted:

"The choice of transformer and core material was probably chosen for best HF performance, so the trade off was a lower LF saturation level."

It would be interesting to get Steve's take on this subject.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #538 - 08/27/14 at 03:09:29

Just dropped my DS off at UPS for shipment to its new owner.

Appreciate the exchange of info on this great forum.

If Steve decides to build an amp with balanced inputs and KT-150 outputs, please let me know.

Aloha

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #539 - 08/27/14 at 14:18:43

Cool cousin, DS gone.

I like my QuteHD much better! Less internal preamp (PS Audio DS DAC) not needed, when I have the wonderful CSP3/Jupiter Capped.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1408218461

Yeah Kana, I would like to see/hear what Steve could do with the KT-150...no doubt.
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88-Tube-Types/Tung-Sol-KT150

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #540 - 08/29/14 at 16:00:26

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #541 - 08/29/14 at 19:21:45

I was just sitting down to read that on my lunch break.

I didn't have much time to listen to my DS on the new server last night - this weekend it was strained sounding (and I was feeling ill and stressed), last night I only got a track or two off before Brianne had me put Mythbusters on the big screen - but for those two tracks, it sounded really good!

I guess the mental aspect is pretty big. Or maybe there was extremely bad power that weekend, or the planets weren't in alignment or something.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #542 - 08/29/14 at 20:04:18

From the above review - about the Oppo BDP-105 - this sounds familiar, doesn't it? Smiley

"The Oppo 105 packed tremendous resolve but hints of digital hardness were definitely present – this is the same hardness that keeps so many vinyl heads away from digital but maintains a sense of aural excitement high for those who instead prioritise deeper detail retrieval. How much was attributable to the PCM source files and how much the Oppo player I couldn’t say."

and about the DS

"Out of pure coincidence, I too have been running Magnepan MMG driven by a REDGUM integrated – the similarly Chinese-baked Black Series RGi35. Each and every time I compared a rival DAC to the DirectStream unit the results mirrored the afore-detailed Byrne/Eno digital/vinyl standoff in all but detail retrieval."

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #543 - 08/29/14 at 20:28:50

I'm so going to get myself banned from the ComputerAudiophile forums. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #544 - 08/29/14 at 22:40:59

Yeah, the review made sense to me, I'm glad that he enj0yed the DS. I've been enjoying mine (though not this week, I'm out of town for a wedding in the GF's family, having a lot of fun).

I'm so glad I use discs and don't have to futz with networks, eq settings, etc. Whew!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #545 - 08/30/14 at 06:45:20

Quote:
I'm so glad I use discs and don't have to futz with networks, eq settings, etc. Whew!

Sometimes I agree with that...and honestly, until I realized my Oppo had these neat networking features, I'd pretty much written off digital music except for maybe MP3s as background music while I clean house or audio books while I'm on a long road trip.

Now, I see the computer as a component of the system...just a "digital transport". And the sound I'm getting tonight is amazing!

In fact, I think I found that emotional connection I mentioned was missing in Palomino's thread. And what finally did it (besides not being sick and crabby) - Ted Smith suggested some modifications to my Industrial Linear Power Supply (which I had to pick up a couple books and read up/refresh on some basic electronics to understand half of what he said! LOL), and now my Mini-PC, Windows Server 2012 Core with Audiophile Optimizer software, Modified Industrial L-PSU to DS to ZMA to MG-944 - everything is clicking right tonight.

And while I sit here typing this, I can search for an album that just popped into my head (in this case The XX - Self Titled) and have it playing before I even finish this sentence. Especially since it sounds so good I keep getting distracted as I type.  :)

Yeah, I can't go back, this is brilliant and beautiful. I think I'm done with physical media unless I get back into Reel to Reel again.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #546 - 08/30/14 at 13:41:03

I can understand how that "convenience" can be so satisfying for others but it doesn't have the same value for me. And my PS Audio PerfectWave Transports are amazing transports, putting out data not at all unlike the data from a computer as a source. My Blu-ray and SACD players are also top notch. I am not really "into" computers, don't like digital data as a soure, don't have the time it takes to rip, futz with eq and all these things with my 60 hour a week no pay job and girlfriend, so I'm so happy to not have a computer in my system. Even in just this one thread I see how much time you guys spend with different "players," eqs, settings, connections, and I just don't have that type of time, let alone the added time of finding, downloading, ripping files, etc. I'd never be able to spin music if that were the case for me.

I've got sound I just don't need to get better now, and the methodology I want---I can just sit and listen to music and skip all this tinkering aobut. I consider myself very lucky, and I'm not fixing what isn't broken.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #547 - 08/30/14 at 15:33:27

I totally understand that, Lon.

Plus, until last night, I don't think my computer could hold a candle to the PWT - now I finally feel like I"m at least close to, if not on par with the PWT, and all for $475 and some time (cost of all hardware and software).

With your extensive collection, I wouldn't be keen on ripping either. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #548 - 08/30/14 at 17:29:56

Well, paramount to me is the time factor. I have so little time on my own, and I have to split it between time with my GF, my instruments, my books, and my music and TV and movie interests. So little time, it's very frustrating. Futzing about with computers is very very low on the list for me, I'd put housework above it!

Also with the PWD Mk II the HDMI handshake with the PWT is special, audibly better than other connections tried. I think that is less so with  the DS, but still a bit of a specialness in my brief testing. I'm just happy with the PWTs and other sources, I'd have to be very unhappy to make a move. I am far far from being very unhappy with my system!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #549 - 09/09/14 at 16:18:39

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Send Topic Print