Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:31:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY Interconnects and Speaker Cables (Read 6627 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

DIY Interconnects and Speaker Cables
06/09/13 at 04:54:28

Everyone,

I am gonna build my own interconnects and speaker cables using DH Labs cabling, Cardas Quad Eutectic solder, my Hakko FX-888 soldering station, and TechFlex with heat shrink tubing.

Has anyone ever attempted DIY cables and if so....any insight would be greatly appreciated.  I am no stranger to soldering, but with using expensive interconnects and wires, just trying to keep the mess-ups to a minimum.  

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: DIY Interconnects and Speaker Cables
Reply #1 - 08/21/13 at 20:52:08

Wow, no responses to this?

A couple things I'd recommend.

You said you're knowledgeable with soldering, but still, it's good to keep in mind that you need to heat both the wire to be soldered and especially the metal that you're trying to solder the wire to! Both must be warm enough to melt the solder at a touch, not just the wire.

Use heat shrink tubing, and get the good stuff (like 3M ). Heat shrink is a great way to give the cables that finished look.

Try to make cables as perfectly balanced as possible. If one cable is 3' 1/4", then all cables should be 3' 1/4". If it's something you have control over, you might as well take your time and make it perfect.

I find the more expensive the connections are, the easier they seem to be to build, because the company that made them started their design from scratch; so they had the opportunity to make them just the way they wanted.

So take your time, and do them up right.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Jake G
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/17/18 at 21:33:53

Good advise. I've also used the Canare Star Quad cable for unbalanced and balanced DIY with great results. Takes some practice to get the soldering done correctly, otherwise its a great project. The cables i built seemed to be the most neutral of all the cables i was rotating..

IP Logged
Kingrex
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/18 at 15:56:50

Go to VH Audio and look at his Caulk Backer interconnect.  It seems a solid design.  I also see good cables having 3 wire on the negative and 2 on the positive.  The wires are Litz design as in do not touch.  Separate them with cotton or air.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print