Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 10:48:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
convert se84b to guitar amp (Read 7080 times)
chris
Verified Member

convert se84b to guitar amp
04/05/13 at 16:50:31

I have a Decware Se84B amplifier.   Is it possible to convert this to a guitar amp?

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Re: convert se84b to guitar amp
Reply #1 - 05/06/13 at 01:06:36

Good question.  I have a se84c or my se34 I would like do this to.  Be nice if Mr D could give us info on this.

I doubt this is a cost effective project given the amount of work needed to convert versus the sale value of the amp before mod.  I have been in the market for awhile for a low watt tube guitar amp so I naturally wish I could easily use one of my Decware amps.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/06/13 at 02:34:45

Not sure what you qualify as a "low watt" guitar amp. For not much money I've had darned good combo amp sound from a Blackheart "Little Giant," and a vintage Fender "Musicmaster" bass amp (works great with guitar).  The "Little Giant" used to be really cheap when first announced; the Fender is from the 'seventies and sometimes can be found reasonably cheap--I paid a bit more for a totally refurbished one with a great speaker and it's now my "go to" amp in my new home.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/06/13 at 14:14:58

Low watts for my use is single digits.  Thanks for the review.   Music store in my neighborhood has a Blackheart Little Giant 1x12.   I think I am on my way for a road trip this a.m.  

They also have a 6 watt VHT head I will check out too.  Hand wired, easy modding.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 05/07/13 at 22:05:52

I'm currently involved in the thought stage of something like this.  Having played guitar many years ago, I had tried a guitar in a normal stereo amp a few times and never had any luck.  It worked, but just didn't sound right.  I never knew why.  Now, about 40 years later when I'm looking at a RIAA filter design for a phono cartridge, it dawns on me why that never worked.  You need a phono level input without the massive equalization that a phono cartridge requires...in other words a pure flat gain stage of about 40 db.  Such a design would be child's play compared to an RIAA phono stage design, but nobody offers a "guitar/mic" input that I'm aware of.  You would also have to figure out how to handle the stereo/mono.  So I'm curious as to how much interest this thread sparks.

Dan

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/11/13 at 21:43:49

Maybe the Zkit could be revamped for guitar use?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print