Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 17:42:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Firmware for Oppo BDP-103/105 (Read 24491 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

New Firmware for Oppo BDP-103/105
03/29/13 at 08:52:32

Thought I woud post this here as well as the General Discussion and Support Forums under the (DACs for Around $1000 thread) since a lot of people interested in Home Theater may be looking at this device.

New firmware release for Oppo BDP-103 and 105:

March 27, 2013

Added support for Direct Stream Digital (DSD) file playback from local storage. The DSD files can be either stereo or multi-channel. Both the DFF and the DSF formats are supported.

Added support for the AIFF audio format.

I think a picture of these guys are in the dictionary under the definition of "over-achievers". Cool

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: New Firmware for Oppo BDP-103/105
Reply #1 - 03/29/13 at 18:37:20

Yeah, this will be nice, especially the AIFF and multichannel DSD support. While the sound of the DAC isa not up there with either my PWD or Lumin, it is very good, and as a Swiss army knife for players/DAC, it is a bargain.

Word to the wise: this is a beta release.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/13 at 19:42:29

Quote:
PR,
Yeah, this will be nice, especially the AIFF and multichannel DSD support. While the sound of the DAC isa not up there with either my PWD or Lumin, it is very good, and as a Swiss army knife for players/DAC, it is a bargain.

Interesting that this is the same DAC used in a lot of other manufacturers of hi-end DACs and yet this one is not up to snuff soundwise huh?  Maybe Oppo didn't tweek it enough to get the best out of it in comparison ... Too bad because it seems like the got the right chips in there (2x Sabre 32's).

I wonder what the other guys did to their Sabre's to make them sound so much better?  Things that make you go Hmmmm Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/29/13 at 19:52:54

The analog output stage of a DAC is very influential on the sound. (I know we all know that.) I bet you could take three different designers, give them the same DAC to use and a certain budget, and you could get very different results. Give them different price points and probably different still.

My extended experience with the Sabre was in a Peachtree Decco. Sound was. . . okay. I sold it (practically gave it away) to a friend of mine. Sounds a bit better (with the RL2s I gave him) in his room than it did in either of mine, he has a great room for sound in his living-room in his condo but still. . . sort of sterile sounding to my ears. I'm hoping I get lucky in my next place, it has promise, similar dimensions to his.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/13 at 20:28:19

The Oppo BDP-105 sells for $1,199.00. What are the PWD and Lumin selling for ??

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/29/13 at 20:36:50

Exactly, different price points. I got my PWD for 3 grand (but I got a free power cord--best I've every heard and loved to death--with it that retails for nearly a grand.) At that price I would expect it to knock my socks off. If it hadn't, it would have gone back.

Plus it sounds best with its HDMI input which only works with the companion PWT, which is another big expense.

In many audio examples you get what you pay for. We're spoiled because Decware gives us so much for our dosh. (Not saying PS Audio and others don't, but the bang for buck is not like with Decware!)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/13 at 21:21:37

Elsewhere I have said that the Oppo may be the best all-in-one bang for the buck; I still believe that. I got a great deal on my PWD for about $2200, and then did the $795 upgrade to the MkII version. Last month, you could pick up a PWD on a fire sale special trade-in promo of $1895 IIRC. The Lumin debuted at a $3980 intro price, and then went to $5480 earlier this month. On a value basis, there really is no comparison. On a flexibility basis, there really is no comparison, especially with the Oppo's multi-channel DSD capability.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/29/13 at 21:30:06

I would love to have a PWD and have no doubt it sounds better than the Oppo-105. It however is not within the financial limitations that I have. I simply suggest to Finch and others that may be in the same boat financially, that the Price/Performance ratio of the Oppo-105 is very high, similar to Decware products.

I don't think anyone on a budget would look back and regret an Oppo purchase.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/29/13 at 21:53:11

I wish I were more into the OPPO sound. I could have saved a lot of money. But I'm glad they have such a following.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/29/13 at 22:27:21

Quote:
I don't think anyone on a budget would look back and regret an Oppo purchase.

Agreed.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/29/13 at 23:24:11

Quote:
DBC,
I would love to have a PWD and have no doubt it sounds better than the Oppo-105.

+1.

If I had the means, it would be the PWD MKII + Bridge (or MKIII when that comes out), plus a P5 Power Plant with AC12 cables all around, the Oppo BDP-105 for all the Video Functions (with maybe try the Modwright upgrades in the future to see what all the fuss is about) for my Digital Front End.

Quote:
Lon,
... (practically gave it away) to a friend of mine. Sounds a bit better (with the RL2s I gave him)

Lon, I want to be your best friend! Grin

Quote:
PR,
The Lumin debuted at a $3980 intro price, and then went to $5480 earlier this month. On a value basis, there really is no comparison. On a flexibility basis, there really is no comparison, especially with the Oppo's multi-channel DSD capability.

It's almost like the Lumin is a hi-end Oppo.  It would be cool to see what Oppo could come out with for a no cost objective Reference Unit.

Probably not on their list of things to do, but I imagine it would be pretty cool and I bet it would still be the best bang for the buck Universal Disc/Network Player out there.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/30/13 at 01:17:36

The Lumin is, I think, in a narrower target spot. After all, it doesn't play discs, and you can only stream to it over a network. OTOH, I would love to see the Oppo team do a cost-no-object device.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/13 at 01:26:53

beowulf ruminated:
Quote:
Interesting that this is the same DAC used in a lot of other manufacturers of hi-end DACs and yet this one is not up to snuff soundwise huh?  Maybe Oppo didn't tweek it enough to get the best out of it in comparison ... Too bad because it seems like the got the right chips in there (2x Sabre 32's).

I wonder what the other guys did to their Sabre's to make them sound so much better?  Things that make you go Hmmmm

Chip identity is only part of the equation, of course. I actually think the analog sections of equipment like the PWD and others is more important. That's not to say the digital implementation is not material—just read the work that PS Audio put into the digital section of the MkII upgrade and you will see what a difference that can make—but identical DAC chipsets can sound very different in different pieces of equipment. The Oppo is lauded not merely for its feature set or video quality, but also for the quality of its analog section. When one looks at the 83/93/103 series, the video quality is only marginally improved with each generation [and it is very good], but when one reviews the 95/105 audio sections, one can hear a significant difference in SQ. This doesn't mean the analog cannot be made to sound better, or that somehow the Oppo is bad; only that the same basic chipsets can produce very different results in the overall scheme.

And just to be clear, I never said the Oppo was not "up to snuff." I think it is quite good, and routinely listen to it, especially in 5.1.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/30/13 at 01:45:55

Quote:
PR,
And just to be clear, I never said the Oppo was not "up to snuff." I think it is quite good, and routinely listen to it, especially in 5.1.

Yes, I reread what I said and didn't mean it to come off that way ... I was trying to compare it to other DACs which use the same chip, but get better reviews in SQ, so the term "up to snuff" was probably a poor choice of words on my part.

I do agree as an owner of the BDP-95 in comparison I believe there are better implementations with each generation.  One can only guess what's next for those guys, they've found their niche that's for sure! Wink

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/30/13 at 14:16:25

Agreed beowulf. It's not just excellent value the Oppo team is delivering; it's good stuff at any price point below $2500 in my view. This theme of "how can they improve this stuff?" is a regular feature of the reviews.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 08/15/13 at 21:57:18

I just picked up the Oppo BDP-105 this last weekend. It's spent so much time hooked up to my Zen amp and MG944 speakers, that I've not even connected it to my HT Receiver yet! LOL

I'm still trying to figure out all the files and formats and such.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print