Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 20:45:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker recommendations (Read 34956 times)
Hipfan

Speaker recommendations
03/01/13 at 17:50:42

I'm looking for speaker recommendations...again. I'm currently driving a pair of Klipsch Forte II's, but want try something that is not a horn speaker. I listen to mostly rock and would be driving the speakers with a Torii MK3. So a non-horn efficient rock speaker, if that's possible. Thanks!

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker recommendations
Reply #1 - 03/01/13 at 20:17:27

Non-horn and efficient will be tough.  I'll bet your Torii would make a pair of JBL LSR2336 scream, though.  @~92db/w, and a good speaker for any music, from Metallica to Mahler.  I've wanted a pair, but they don't come in oiled oak!

Decware's best "rock" speakers are probably the MG944.

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #2 - 03/01/13 at 21:07:30

Is that JBL model# correct? I can't find anything on LSR2336.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/13 at 21:16:04

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 03/01/13 at 22:45:41

The MG944 and Torii MKIII can get you there for sure.

Maybe Donnie will chime in, as he has both and like to rock out from time to time.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #5 - 03/01/13 at 23:40:03

If I could pick up MG944's locally, I would probably buy them tomorrow, but waiting 6 months plus the excessive shipping costs to Canada, just doesn't appeal to me. Regarding rock. It's the genre I listen to most. I don't typically listen at high volume or rock out. I just need something that sounds good with rock...tight bass, etc and can be listened to at higher volume, on occasion.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 03/02/13 at 00:05:11

I would be happy to chime in. Right now Neil Young is playing at what most would call a uncomfortable level. I usually play it this loud for a short time every day just to wash the problems of the day away.
The combo of a Torii III and MG944's has been a very satisfying match for me.
The cool thing about my stereo is how good it sounds at lower levels also. My body is hardwired to get up around 4:00 AM and it is nice to be able to play music without disturbing my 2nd shift working wife.
Kind of the best of both worlds.
Now I will also say that one of these days I intend to buy myself a pair of HR-1's in Koa. But they are at quite a different price point.
MG944's are a kick ass speaker.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/13 at 02:33:33

Any speaker Zu makes. You can direct buy from ZU Canada. I think his name his Bob, good guy to deal with. You will love the Zu's. They can rock but also can handle any style of music with ease. My Torri sound great with them and you have have tons of headroom at 100db.

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #8 - 03/02/13 at 03:09:48

Thanks for the input, orangecrush. Zu has been on my list, for all the reasons you listed. I actually spoke with someone from Zu Canada a few months ago, when they were selling the Omen Standards for $1,500. The thing I didn't like was there was no way to audition them, so I lost interest and moved on...now here I am again still researching/searching Sad

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/13 at 04:32:20

I am in Calgary, but I am sure you can find someone in Toronto who would let you hear them.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/02/13 at 16:13:45

Funk Audio is also up in Canada.  I haven't heard them, but they have made a model (8.2P I think) that is a big floor stander, 96db/w, no horns.  It may be worth a look.

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #11 - 03/03/13 at 00:14:12

Thanks to those who took the time to reply to my posting. Let's try a different angle here. Forget about the whole Rock thing and just let me know what speakers you are driving with your Torii and what you like about them.

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/03/13 at 00:32:14

What is your budget?

The Hip definitely rock! Cool

Lin

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #13 - 03/03/13 at 01:38:51

Budget is around $1,500

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/03/13 at 01:45:43

Currently, ERRs. Soon to be HR-1s. Stretch for the ERRs. Wonderful speakers.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #15 - 03/03/13 at 02:34:00

Anyone here driving the Tekton Lore speaker?

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/03/13 at 02:54:06

All of the usual suspects that I have checked and that are more easily demoed (Monitor Audio RX-6 ~ PSB T6 ~ KEF Q700 ...etc.) are around 90dB.
I like Omega/Hoyt-Bedford speakers with 2 (or more) subs for rock, but again like most higher sensitive speakers that I know of hard to hear before purchase.
I haven't heard any Tekton's, but I would like to someday.

Lin

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/03/13 at 06:39:07

Quote:
Hipfan
Anyone here driving the Tekton Lore speaker?

That's what I was going to suggest, I haven't heard the Lore's in person yet, but I have been hearing really good things about the Lore range AND they are very efficient @ 8 Ohms and 98dB.  He's a one man show though and they seem to take between 3-4 weeks to have them built.

Eric Alexander (Tekton Designer and Owner) just came out with a new speaker called the "Enzo" which is going for $2000 and he is patenting some technology used within it.

I don't know if you've ever read the Tekton Pendragon Review in Home Theater Review, but you would swear that the author of this article found the holy grail in speakers.  And according to Eric the Enzo are going to best the Pendragons and smoke anyone else's speakers within its price range (hyperbole included Smiley), but reading the other reviews ... I am really looking forward to a review on those as well.

Tektons are not as sexy as Zu's offerings, but I think the price point for Tektons (in general) are better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 03/03/13 at 13:35:33

I've been running HR-1s and ERRs. I've tried (just because they were around, how can I resist?) a pair of heavy '60s Knight Audio speakers, My RL-2 Decware speakers, and a pair of B&O speakrs. The Torii has the cojones to bring out the best in all of them.

I waffle between deciding the HR-1 and the ERR are the best with the Torii. Overall the HR-1s give the best traditional stereo presentation, with stronger bass, more clearly delinieated imaging and a taller soundstage. The ERR however have to my ears a more tangible imaging and a more immersive staging and to my ears gives a slightly less "processed" vibe to recordings, more "real" in that it's just an inch closer to the way I hear music performed by humans and not reproduced via a stereo system.

I would second Greg's suggestion to save up for the ERR.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/03/13 at 14:40:29

I like the ERRs, but as a person that primarily listens to rock I would not recommend them as the 1st (only?) system speaker.

Lin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 03/03/13 at 15:39:24

Hmmm. . . that's maybe room/system specific as I have no problems with rock on my system with ERRs.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #21 - 03/03/13 at 16:24:39

In hindsight, I never should have mentioned Rock. Sure, I listen to Queen and Zep, but artists like Neil Young would be more along to the lines of the rock I listen to most frequently. I also want to get into some Jazz and Blues. There is so much great music out there and I need to broaden my listening habits. I REALLY like what I've read about Tekton and the Lore specifically and plan to give Eric a call on Monday, to learn more.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/03/13 at 21:23:45

Quote:
Hipfan
I REALLY like what I've read about Tekton and the Lore specifically and plan to give Eric a call on Monday, to learn more.

While you have him on the phone, ask him about the Enzo and what types of things he is patenting for it, I would be interesting to hear about that as well!   Smiley

I believe I read somewhere that Eric said the Lores compete with Zu at the Omen Def/Soul Superfly level ... I would be interested to hear if he thinks that is true as both of those Zu models get pretty good reviews, however the Lore is less than 1/3 the cost!

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/03/13 at 21:57:44

A little info on the Tekton Enzo:

http://www.hionhifi.com/tekton-design-enzo-preview/

I don't get the 3 tweeter thing, it should cause more problems than it solves. Huh

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/03/13 at 22:30:06

Quote:
opnlybafld
I don't get the 3 tweeter thing, it should cause more problems than it solves.

Yes, I'm not sure what's going on with that either ... I guess we'll wait and see how they review.  These may or may not be the ones that were mentioned in the comments section for the Home Theater Review of the Pendragons where the reviewer said there will be a new Tekton benchmark, but at a higher cost then the Pendragons ... So, unless Eric found a way to make them come in at a lesser price, then the Enzo's may not be the ones mentioned there. Smiley

There is also a guy named Mike Clark that posted saying he is using the Decware SE84C+ with the Lore, so ... looks like that combo is being used with great results ... by the way the reviewer Andrew Robinson said he is a Decware fan as well!  

OK so cool points all around for Decware and Tekton   Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/04/13 at 02:43:04

With respect to the doubt expressed about the ERR, Lon wrote:

Quote:
Hmmm. . . that's maybe room/system specific as I have no problems with rock on my system with ERRs.

I listen to a lot of rock, and I listen loud in a large room with cathedral ceilings. My daughters and I like to turn the lights off, and watch the tubes glow while listening to Fleetwood Mac live, Eagles, The Who, the Allman Brothers Band, and of late, Humble Pie. That's not all we listen to, of course, but it is a sampling of old school rock, and then for newer stuff, we have Linkin Park, Black-Eyed Peas, and the like. The ERRs do just fine with this stuff, as well as with classical, jazz, etc. I have owned significantly more expensive speakers in my life, and larger and smaller, none overall quite as satisfying. I have a pair of HR-1s on order, and the back & forth that Lon has expressed is something I am looking forward to.

Not trying to "sell" anyone on the ERRs, just reporting my experience.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/04/13 at 03:09:14

No right or wrong, just different opinions from different people.
Compared to other Decware speakers just my opinion and I know I'm not alone.

Hipfan has clarified his thoughts so it is immaterial to this thread now anyhow.

Lin

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #27 - 03/04/13 at 04:10:47

HR-1's are out of the question because I just don't have that kind of dough. I may still end up ordering the MG944's and bite the bullet on the wait time...we'll see. Many thanks again to all who took the time to reply...it's a great community here Smiley

IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/04/13 at 21:48:02

PR,

Do you run subs with the ERRs for music?

My assumption was that given the stated budget suggested speakers would be used by themselves if priced at (or above) the limit.

Lin

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #29 - 03/14/13 at 22:52:19

So I've decided to go with Zu. I spoke with Sean (great guy) and he is going to build me a custom Omen "Dirty Weekend" set of speakers. They will be an Omen Def cabinet/configuration with high output Soul Superfly drivers, plus tweeters featuring the Mundorf Silver Oil caps with high-pass values to match with the Omen Def with HO drivers.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 03/15/13 at 00:55:24

Quote:
So I've decided to go with Zu. I spoke with Sean (great guy) and he is going to build me a custom Omen "Dirty Weekend" set of speakers. They will be an Omen Def cabinet/configuration with high output Soul Superfly drivers, plus tweeters featuring the Mundorf Silver Oil caps with high-pass values to match with the Omen Def with HO drivers.

Sounds pretty cool, keep us informed.  Did you get the Torii with the 8 ~ 16 ohm speaker setup?

Curious also if you ever talked with Eric at Tekton and what he had to say?

One more brand I might mention that seems to pair well with Decware is the Omega/Hoyt-Bedford.  I believe opnlybafld mentioned that one already though.

Anyways, good luck with your purchase!   Smiley

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #31 - 03/15/13 at 02:09:01

I never did speak with Eric at Tekton. My Torii has the 4 ohm / 8 ohm taps, however the dual Superfly driver build will be 8 ohm, 101dB.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/15/13 at 05:32:07

Oh man, your going love your Zu's. I just installed my NanoTech upgraded drivers in my Superfly's and it has left me speechless. They already sounded sooooooo good, but now they have entered into a new realm of performance I have not heard or at least liked as much (personal preference) in a sub $10.000 speaker. Everything is better, tranparancy, speed, much tigher bass resolution and incredible smoothness. They are the most "intimate speakers" I have ever heard and yet can rock the house down, you will understand what I mean when you get them. They like lots of toe-in, and Zu's placement guide for performance and tone is very interesting and sound counsel. The new drivers truly handle every type of music. The old drivers did struggle a little with very complex musical passages, but not now. Effortless fluidity is now the Norma for everything. Interestly, with the new drivers I now have turned up the treble pots a bit more, the treble smooth as silk. It's weird because the tweeter and silver/oil Mundorfs have not changed. Just shows how much high frequency's you get from the single drivers.

I have my Torii with the 8 and 16 ohm taps, as I bought it for my Zu's, but the 8 ohm tap sounds just as good so you will be thrilled. With the 101db efficency, you will notice any defect in a tube. I have has to replace a couple that were too noisy. My current tubes are all behaving now and very silent. The cyro JJ's 6ac7's and cyro 6N1P-EV from cyroset sound better than ever with the new nanotech drivers. Zu really has something special with these babies and are so generous in offering a cost effective upgrade. First class. I love how you call and talk to Sean, like he has all the time in the world.

One I hope to hear some Decware speakers, but Zu and Decware also are a perfect match. If you can afford the new ND drivers, I reccomend it. Even if you need to go with one driver per speaker.

IP Logged
Slapshot
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 05/04/13 at 20:07:45

Orangecrush, thanks for your comments on Zu's working so well with Decware amps. I was considering that combination but had not seen any previous comments on the subject.

JC

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print