Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 17:31:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite Amp and Speakers at ZenFest 2012? (Read 7316 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Favorite Amp and Speakers at ZenFest 2012?
10/08/12 at 20:43:05

Hi all, I was just wondering (for those of you lucky enough to attend the Zenfest) ... What amp and speakers were your favorites?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Favorite Amp and Speakers at ZenFest 2012?
Reply #1 - 10/08/12 at 23:23:51

I listened to a Mini Torii with HR-One's for the majority of my session on the couch.
I really, really liked the HR-One's. The Mini Torii didn't have quite the poop to push them to the levels that I like to listen to, but I know my Torii MKIII will level our house.
The Torii Mono's into the MG944's also really sounded great.
I explained to my wife how much I wanted to spend on some new speakers and she pointed out that they cost as much as 20 purses. It appears to me that the sales volume of Coach and Dooney & Bourke are about to drop.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/09/12 at 00:59:05

Only after a couple of years the DECWARE loudspeakers are still worth some serious cash; the purses, which are basically fungible, will be worth bupkus.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/09/12 at 07:16:34

Rivieraranch, yes I agree!  And you get way more mileage and enjoyment out speakers and electonics since they are pretty much integrated into our lives one way or another every day.

My wife has a closet full of expensive purses collecting dust that she rarely (if ever) uses, where as music and movies are enjoyed in our household every day!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/09/12 at 07:26:33

Donnie, I would buy the HR-1's on looks alone ... they are by far the sexiest speakers in the Decware line-up!  If I had the money for a new pair of speakers these would be it!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 10/24/12 at 04:23:17

favorite?  really! you expect us to be able to pick a favorite?  I liked them all!!  I like the type of sound the ERR's produce.  The HR-1's sound like a more resolute ERR and if I had to pick just one, it might be the HR-1 driven by a Tori.  But I got a tell you, the ZOB's get it done for me too.  

The real surprise for me, was the mini's(945's).  No doubt they're voiced toward the warm side with a bit of a bump in the mid-bass, but they had the most "holographic" sound I heard.  The image was completely detached from the speakers and was floated above and behind them no matter where you stood in the room.  I listened to them standing up for most of the time and the soundstage remained stable - sitting or standing.  I could live with these speakers for a long time in an average size room and they would be enough except for more rowdy music that I want to play "loud and proud".

This was my first zenfest and I was plesantly surprised by all the Decware gear.  There's not a bad apple in the bunch.  It's more a matter of what will work best in your room, and then believe Steve when he tells you which amp will work best for a given Decware speaker in a particular size room.  Depends on your own listening preferences too of course, as well as what type of music you listen to the most.

HDT's sounded great also.  I think long term, for me personally, I would pair them with one of the single-ended Decware amps.

It would be real tough to pick just one amp and one speaker... IMO there wasn't a "best"... they were all great - just "different".  As always - trust your own ears!!!!

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/26/12 at 05:35:08

maddog07 ... wow your descriptions are awesome! I would love to demo both the HR-1 and ERR's, but you make the  945's sound like they are no slouch either.  Thanks for the feedback!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 11/06/12 at 23:26:55

depends on the amp, your room, your music preferences and which particular aspects of music reproduction you tend to be particularly sensitive to.  But I enjoyed the 945's and am even contemplating getting a pair - just because.  And also because... after 30 yrs in this hobby, I have learned one thing - well actually a few.  There is no such thing as the perfect speaker.  And though there is no perfect speaker, there are types of speakers that tend to do certain sonic attributes better than others.  And there are certain types of speakers that tend to reproduce certain kinds of music better than others.  This is why I currently own four dramatically different “types” of speakers….  A pair of conventional dynamic drivers, a pair of monopole ribbon hybrids, electrostats and my latest DIY, a high-efficiency, full-range single driver pair.  Now… if I just had a room for each one and electronics for each one, so that I could leave them all setup all the time… and just go from room, to room to room depending on my musical mood at the time… I’d be all set!
Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print