Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 15:49:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small DIY power center: (Read 3026 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Small DIY power center:
11/09/12 at 04:41:33

I have two source components that have always been plugged into a cheap AC extension cord, so I thought I throw something together this evening to give them a bit more unfettered juice:

I opted for a shallow steel handy box fed with some SJ 12/3 wire... The stranded type with the jute and rubber jacket...The box is very rigid...

I used a romex/box connector at the cable entrance to the box...

I used a right angle heavy duty three-prong plug... I mounted the box on a wood piece, and topped it off with a wooden face-plate... Very solid...

Does it sound better than the 16 ga. extension cord?... You bet... 12 ga. SJ service wire is heavy stuff... Now all I need is the PS Audio 'Jewel' C7 cable for my tuner, and I'm all set for now...

Note: I have my Zen Triode plugged directly into the wall outlet... To my ears, it sounds better that way... No AC line conditioner... Don't like them, really... I do use a Naim stock mains cable for the Zen...

Oh, and my Zen CDP is packed and ready to ship... So all is well in audio land here... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Small DIY power center:
Reply #1 - 11/09/12 at 11:36:22

Nice work Mark! Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Small DIY power center:
Reply #2 - 11/09/12 at 12:59:15

I just want to say that I don't normally have my speaker wire so close to the mains wire... I just pushed things out of the way a bit to take the photo of the plug...

I'll probably experiment with a few other power set-ups to see if there is any difference... Note: It's extremely hard to tin the ends of 12 ga. stranded wire... Even with a solder gun... (m.)

Added: They have various wooden trim pcs. of the same config in mahogany, oak, maple, etc... And the face plates, too... So I can experiment with various types of wood... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print