Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 09:48:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The infamous C7 mains connector: (Read 5190 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

The infamous C7 mains connector:
11/05/12 at 23:41:40

I have a Sangean HDT 1-X HD radio component tuner in my system, and I like it very much; however, it has a detachable power cord that is of the C7 (polarized) 'electric shaver' type... That is, instead of the standard 'figure 8' design that is reversible, it has one side square, presumeably to maintain the correct polarity in the circuitry...

The problem is that I want to purchase an upgraded cable, and I'm finding a few C7 cables from PS Audio, Cardas, etc., but they are all reversible... And I need the polarized version...

PS Audio made an entry level polarized cable in the 'Jewel' line which was very economical... But the company tells me that they discontinued the polarized version for some reason... They said that I could simply use the 'figure 8' version, and just determine the 'neutral' side, and put the cable in accordingly, but I don't really like that option...

I guess I can make one, and buy a C7 polarized plug, and go from there... But that's a hassle for me... Anyone?... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: The infamous C7 mains connector:
Reply #1 - 11/06/12 at 04:43:15

I've used the non-polarized type, determined the polarized "side up," and marked it. This was an Audioquest. I also have an adaptor from an IEC to C7 non-polarized, works well (use that on my DVR). Pretty easy for me it seems to tell which way is 'in phase.'

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/06/12 at 13:32:45

Lon: I thought about the adaptor route, esp. since it would afford me a much wider range of choices in mains cabling; however, I have a very limited amount of space behind the HD tuner, as my console table is almost right up againt the wall... Even the stock cord plug needed to be bent to make it work, so an adaptor on top of an IEC plug just wouldn't cut it... I've been looking for right angle fittings for this...

PS Audio is trying to find one of their discontinued mains cables in the shortest version, but so far no luck...  Usually a factory or regional rep can dig up something, so I'm waiting on that...

In the mean time, I found this on eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/370674109030?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

It's a cryoed C7 polarized cable... But the darn thing is nothing more than a $2.00 cable to start with... Don't think I'll go for it, really... Maybe as a last resort... I mean, how good could it be?...

I can make a cable by getting my own terminations... But I don't have much experience in that area... I can solder well enough, and have a VOM, but there's always a few tricks that only experience can provide in making good cables...

Still looking... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/06/12 at 15:11:56

Yes, I'm lucky I have room to use the adapter behind my DVR. I think you'd have no problem with an un-polarized connector, but hope that you can locate one of the old PS Audio cords.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/06/12 at 15:27:26

Mark, I've built cables using connectors with screw-on terminals inside, no trick to it, works quite well. I see that Furutech makes one with a C7 connection, and they may make a polarized version, or someone else does?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print