Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 11:57:58 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE ZENFEST 2012 LIVE HI-RES BROADCAST (Read 48678 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECWARE ZENFEST 2012 LIVE HI-RES BROADCAST
09/30/12 at 02:10:29

Hi everyone!

Just a reminder that we will be broadcasting the majority of the fest live all three days so that those who didn't make it can tune in from home.

I just talked to a gentlemen yesterday and mentioned this to him, and he already knew or had head about it but had no plans to watch it because he assumed the sound quality would be poor and you wouldn't be able to hear anything through headphones, like the differences between speakers and or amplifiers...

I was at that moment I realized this is probably what everyone thinks!  

If you've got a half way decent sounding desktop computer, like an IMac, you don't even need headphones...

Anyway,  we still have 5 hours of last years fest online so you can decide for yourself if the sound quality is worthy of your time or not.  The broadcast is in CD quality, and the hanging microphones in the room give a bit more room sound than you would notice from the listening chair which has proven to make the differences between components even easier to hear...

So give it a try at the link below.  When it goes live, and during testing the nights before, the broadcast will be in the same window, so just bookmark the page!

Steve

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011.html

WWW   IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE ZENFEST 2012 LIVE HI-RES BROADCAST
Reply #1 - 10/05/12 at 17:57:11

Well as many of you may know I am usually at DecFest every year. Unfortunately a few curve balls have been thrown my way and I will not be attending. However I want to thank Steve for the live feed and how much that wonderful effort is making me feel so much part of the action!!! nice to have the feed right through the main speakers and on screen. DecFest is right here in my living room! I even have HDMI from Mac Mini to my 60" flat screen if I want. And on that note I encourage all of you to at least even in crude form take the analog out of your favorite computer and some interconnects and make it a DecFest weekend.  ;)

Now on to last night (Thurs.). As the Fest set up was underway just went to see if the feed was running and indeed it was. So having direct contact with the Ziegler boys I informed them that indeed my "eye from the sky" was tuned in. Some texts and banter on the phone and I was using "SoundHound" app on the iPhone to identify what they were spinning from moment to moment and started queueing up all that on MOG streaming. I had a great time last night hearing the ambiance of the Decware room and tunes being played through various speakers and amps and would momentarily mute the live feed and hit play on the real tunes and it was "way cool" and fun to listen to that and the Decware "room" . Question you might be asking is obvious is there a lot of difference in spinning your own source or hearing same in the Fest sound field and the answer is an unqualified yes. But the striking moment was when Bob started swapping out speakers and amps and you could definitely get a sense of the sonic tone and changes in imaging from the different amps and speakers. Yes it is pretty much the sound of Gear + Room. The sound quality is admirable for a live feed and I expected much less. See I never experienced the feed from home live so I was not sure how much break up (digital interruption) or other anomalies like really ugly compression dithering. For what Steve is doing this feed is like I said like attending without being there. Of course absolute tonality and attributes can only be heard in person but the fact that you could hear a "body" change in the weight of bass or midrange tonality between amps and speakers right away with no ambiguity about it was really nice. The live feed does translate the room to your listening at home. Again I recommend just putting it right through your rig directly analog or through your USB DAC. I have two Mini set ups in two different living rooms here (we occupy both sides of a twinplex) ultimately through both pair of Bob's HR-1 radial designs (the white speakers at DecFest). And of course it is wonderful to eves drop on all my Decware "buds" I hear you right now talking to Steve DeVon!!!
So hook in all you internet Hi-Fi geeks!

I SO wanted to be there  ::) Cry
Love you all guys miss ya too. Not so bad thanks to the live feed IT'S GREAT!!!!!! Thanks Steve, Bob, DeVon, Sarah and the whole crew that will attend!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/05/12 at 18:04:19

You will be missed Chris! Sad

Take care,
Lin

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/12 at 18:28:52

FWIW The tune that is playing right now is "Into the Dark"by Jesse Cook and the detail is superb even streaming of MOG and the bass is "subterranean" on HR-1 (like the white ones) in my living room right now!!! any one who wants me to cue up tunes when I can get the chance this I will. I have HR-1, Trapezium, Original MG-944, HDT with TangBand driver here. For the weekend I only can swap in Trapezium in place of HR-1. The MG's are stacked in corner. I've run out of room and my understanding wife has raised eyebrows over the last year. Not mad at me though. Just questions sanity of this hi-fi obsession. Grin

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/12 at 18:37:56

Thanks Lin! You enjoy for me eh?

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/12 at 19:12:46

So, they are mic-ing the speakers there?...

They're not simply taking a line out from the amps?...

As a recordist, I'm wondering what kind of mics they're using...

They sound pretty clean... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/05/12 at 19:16:58

The stereo mics are up and to the right of the ceiling fan Steve can provide the details but yes the room is miced in stereo from one spot.
on second glance maybe lower than the fan? Above everyones head substantially.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/05/12 at 20:08:43

The all seeing audio overlord say change the music. He likey likey but want more variety! Grin

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/05/12 at 22:39:20

Anybody Watchin? Come now there's nothin better on a Friday night boys & girls!!!!!! Wink

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/05/12 at 23:01:54

Me here... Have the whole show on as I work elsewhere on my computer... (m.) ps: I'd like to know the source... Decware CD player?... 'Cause I just ordered one... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/05/12 at 23:15:25

Heyas Chris K, and anyone else, yeah, so I am watching with a pout on my face, wishing I was there this year.  :(

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/05/12 at 23:18:45

It's "Rachel" the latest SE34 integrated amp with the HDT right now and the white and silver HR-one's radial just before these. Yes I believe they are using the Decware CDP but Bob's DAC might be in the loop I cant know for sure. That is a sweet one off DAC so.....?

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/05/12 at 23:20:33

Yes Jason me not there too. You should send me more email and bug me I have not had a moments rest since last DecFest. Still have speakers on ice 4 you if so inclined.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/05/12 at 23:24:39

Well, it's better to be busy then Idle, in most cases, anyways. I will correspond with you more! I am interested in those towers still, I would assume that Pre-amp is long gone by now? I will send out an e-mail and we can discuss more. good to here from ya.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/05/12 at 23:27:48

Nope it is around but its a story for PM. I'll try to get my hands on it but it would be tough.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/05/12 at 23:35:55

The EL34 amp is smooth and STRONG. REALLY solid!! I got the system running this live feed to the point where it is like being there with everyone at the Fest. There a bit of hotness in the mids with certain notes
but I can gurantee it is not the speakers there it just the nature of placement and where there are nodes at the microphones. Steve did a good job.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 10/05/12 at 23:53:06

Someone tell Ziggy I know a CNC guy that loves audio. Just sayin

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 10/05/12 at 23:57:12

I'm a CNC guy, and I love Zygy!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 10/06/12 at 00:10:59

I want to hear "Convoy" by C. W. McCall!!!!

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/06/12 at 00:18:57

Donnie "I'm a CNC guy, and I love Zygy!"

That made me LOL funny as S///t Donnie Grin

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/06/12 at 00:25:23

Anyone else on board tonight?
Demoing the Big Block TORII's tonight with vinyl!!!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/06/12 at 00:37:23

./jealous

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #22 - 10/06/12 at 00:44:22

I'll be there tomorrow morning. 10:37 AM is the delta time. I'm giving my ZDAC-1 away to one lucky person. I'm also bringing my weird take on music.

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #23 - 10/06/12 at 01:47:27

What amp was/is in use with the ERR around 7:00-7:30 CST pm Friday night!

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/06/12 at 03:05:33

I think mini torii but not 100% sure. im on live chat with them but if they dont get back to me right away they wont remember either

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/06/12 at 03:25:29

You can immediately hear the quality of this direct to disc recording that is playing right now courtesy of John V. John tell us more about this recording and if we might obtain a digital copy. IOW is it on CD? yes a compromise I know Steve but the "rest" of us would love to hear this. Sound Hound did not recognize it.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/06/12 at 03:56:55

So far I think I'm hearing a lot of juiced up recordings the likes of which we used to use to sell speakers... I'd like to hear the Zen Triode with a set of speakers commensurate with a system costing maybe three thousand dollars, and the Decware CD player alone without an external DAC... Maybe a redbook Mahler CD... Symphony #4 or #6... That's going to tell me something...  (m.)

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/06/12 at 04:07:40

I cant be certain there was a DAC in there Mark. The recordings are not juiced up for sure. I know Steve and Bob are pretty much just spinning CD's on a Decware modified TASCAM and a Decware pre-amp and Amplifiers. People have enterd the room spinning their own CDs most of the afternoon into early evening and then they spun the couch and didi the Vinyl setup. They mostly been playing mini TORII and Zen Super a couple time so far and The SE34I.3 "Rachel" as she is known. And the new big monoblocks. The big TORII integrated or TORII MkIII is 3K by itself. I'm thinking MG944 or DM944 with a "Rachel" SE34I.3 you supply source would be a good place to start. But I'll defer to Steve with regards to tight budget total system. The Open Baffles with the TORII MkIII is playing now at 11:08 EST

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 10/06/12 at 04:13:23

Right, OK...  To clarify, by 'juiced up' I meant studio stuff, likely worked over in post production... Maybe the close mic-ing is pushing everything forward and hot, I don't know... (m.)

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/06/12 at 04:30:16

What I've been doing is using Sound Hound app on iPhone and muting the live feed and Streaming at 320 to at least hear what the real thing sounds like and you get an audible comparative from the Decware Feed to actual source material. It aint perfect but its the only way I can enjoy not being there.But IMHO most stuff translates good over the Live feed albeit room ambience at Decware added and some attenuation of bass. funny everything does not tranlate equally well on the feed. Rush sounded thin. It was not when I played it here at home. other stuff sound incredibly good through the feed. The feed cant of course be a defacto auditioning tool. Its a lot of fun for me since
i'm usually there and cant be. Olivia Newton John sound great on the feed with the HDT and the TORIIMKIII

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 10/06/12 at 04:37:40

Could be my cans...  They are closed cups, low Z, and made to operate well with low outputs... And they compress a lot...  At any rate, it's all good... (m.)

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 10/06/12 at 04:50:39

can you hook up to a full system at all Mark? It would help the sound immensely for you.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 10/06/12 at 04:53:47

Donnie wrote "I want to hear "Convoy" by C. W. McCall!!!!"

I just thought of my reply to this.

I want to be back in that time period riding in the Convoy with that song on. YES!!!

SCREW them Smokeys!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 10/06/12 at 04:57:12

@ Chris: Mmmm, not really at the moment... Computer and audio system too far apart right now... I'm going to try some EQ changes in my computer sound parameters... (m.)

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 10/06/12 at 15:13:25

Some interesting music through the err`s around 10.40 -11.00 am. Wondered who it was by. African music courtesy P.Gabriel ? Glad the sound levels were up enough to come through clear on the laptop. A fine sense of good seperation and spatialness. - Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 10/06/12 at 16:44:53

The African stuff was "Zap Mama"

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 10/06/12 at 16:48:42

Listening on $20 dollar ear buds since I'm not much of a headphone type. Sounds perfectly crystal clear and the deepest bass translates through and you can immediately hear a change when amps and speaker are swapped out. Cant  tell which amps are in always since "my boys" over there wont get back to me on the chat feed! Angry Angry Angry Angry

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 10/06/12 at 20:20:41

OK, so who slept on the couch all night?  :-)

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 10/06/12 at 21:33:58

Randy! Nicest fellow you'd ever want to meet and long time Decware customer. He has posted thousands on this forum over the last 10+ years

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 10/06/12 at 22:17:14

Actually Randy is more of a friend to us than anything. He's one of the family!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 10/06/12 at 22:25:15

He must have had sweet dreams listening to all that cool gear and music!  I don't think I could sleep very well knowing that potentially thousands of people could tune me in and watch me snore all night  :)

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #41 - 10/06/12 at 22:39:54

Greetings all! My CSP2+ will be first out the door after the bottles are swept up from Zenfest 2012. Been watching a bit Friday and today. Wish I was there, but I will be at RMAF next week so maybe next year!

On the left I think I see 2 Rachels via a CSP2+? What other gear is over by the TT? They keep referring to a Torii on the right but it would be nice to know the equipment being used throughout the room.

My HD650's had me looking over my shoulder all night as their soundstage is awesome and the fidelity of the broadcast is terrific. Cool idea, Thanks Steve!

Regards,

Eric

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 10/07/12 at 00:20:03

Welcome to the forum Eric!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 10/07/12 at 00:26:24

Hi everyone! I am in Salt Lake City visiting relatives on my way to RMAF... I have not had net access until yesterday and just happened onto this broadcast. It's wonderful, excellent quality! I am planning to attend ZENFEST next year. Hope to meet you all then!
Douger

Zen Torii III, Tannoy Canterbury SE's, Nottingham Space 294, AVA Super PAS3I, Emotiva ERC2, MF DAC1

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 10/07/12 at 00:52:05

Hi Eric and Welcome!
What you see on the left in the turntable set up looks like two "Rachels" but they are the NEW Zen TORII monoblocks 60wpc. not like any other amp they've made thus far.
See it on the amp page. at top.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 10/07/12 at 00:56:05

Hello Douger! Welcome!

Eric I can answer questions about anything pretty much in view of the feed. If the guys get back to me on the live chat I can tell you what amp is playing if not..... Shocked

New style MG944 is playing now at 7:55 pm Sat

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 10/07/12 at 00:58:14

Read the second post for what I'm doing identifiying songs and such while monitoring the live feed.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #47 - 10/07/12 at 01:08:24

The new Torii Monoblocks eh? Would be nice to hear them. Nice to see a CSP2+ as Pre-amp to the big boys.

I hope to get there to do an after hours tour before the year is out and get a feel for the speakers.

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #48 - 10/07/12 at 01:48:42

I'm just getting back from the 'fest. I had a great time! It looks like I need to be saving my pennys because I HAVE to have a pair of HR-1's. Zygi decided that they need to be in Koa wood. Well who am I to argue with Bob?

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #49 - 10/07/12 at 02:08:10

What are the HR-1's? I have not seen them on the website.

Upgradeus Interruptus
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print