Send Topic Print
A contest of sorts. (Read 26616 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

A contest of sorts.
09/16/12 at 18:17:46

I am willing to bring my dead ZDAC-1 to Zen Fest this year and give it to someone for free.
I figure that someone can get it fixed for a few bucks and it would be a nice addition to their system.
This is something I paid $875 for a year and a half ago.
It currently doesn't work and I won't guarantee that it will work for you, but....
OK now the contest part. Give me a reason why I should give it to you. The best reason wins. Remember that I am a bit more than a little sarcastic and I like a good story.
No, I will not ship it to you, You will need to be in E. Peoria on the Saturday of Zen Fest.
So there you go, entertain me.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: A contest of sorts.
Reply #1 - 09/17/12 at 14:06:02

Well Donnie,
This one time in band camp....

Just kidding. Actually it suck I won't get to meet you. I can only make it Friday night this year. Wife’s birthday falls on this weekend and have a few things planned for her.

John

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 00:20:55

I am stone serious about this. Free stuff right here. A Decware ZDAC1
for nothing but a good story of why you deserve it.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/18/12 at 00:48:11

You can give it to me. I will be there.  I am challenged when it comes to computer audio.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 01:18:21

I need a story of why.......

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/18/12 at 01:30:41

A Caterpillar ran over my old dac.

Sorry wrong picture, here we go.

Lin

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/20/12 at 17:43:18

you can give to me and in turn ill give it back to steve and either have it fixed or give me my money back . and like Joe friday said "only the fact"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 09/21/12 at 00:00:00

I'm still waiting for a good story.
opnly_bafld is currently leading the race, he must know that I work for Cat.
Someone just needs to give me a story so full of BS that I will laugh to myself.
Free stuff here, it is still in the box it came in, hell it might even work, I haven't plugged it in for months.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 09/21/12 at 02:24:02

Donnie,

I want it,  I need it, like a hole in my head. If I got it fixed and it worked, I would give it away...

Besides that, I had a colonoscopy today and the doctor said I had no BS...

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #9 - 09/21/12 at 14:33:22

Donnie

My husband told me that you are giving away a DAC to the person with the most deserving story.  Well, I know that I'm the one!

You have to give it to me.  Because, I always wanted one of these.  I not only want one, I NEED one.  I walk miles and miles around my yard taking care of my garden.

I hope it's not one of those electric ones because I would just get all tangled up in the cord.  So, it has to run on gasoline.

I am hoping for a blue one, but I suppose any color would be ok, it is free after all.

Does it come with a trailer?  Dan and I are driving one car down to Decfest so I guess we don't need a trailer.  He could drive our car and I could drive the DAC.  HOLY MOLY, if it is electric, I will need a long cord (about 450 miles) because we live in Minnesota.  Boy, oh boy, I hope it's not electric, a 450 mile extension cord might make a free DAC cost prohibitive.  

It has to be able to drive over the bridge, see photo.  

So, you see, there is a lot of ground to cover.  We have a very big yard.  Note how narrow the bridge is, I hope it is the narrow version of the Deluxe All-terrain Car (DAC).  

I hope I win.  

Thanks,
Deb!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 09/21/12 at 14:46:23

LOL! Thanks, I needed that! Smiley Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/21/12 at 16:33:47

Now that is a beautiful garden. I could spend all day sitting there.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 09/21/12 at 23:42:51

I'm pretty sure that we have a new leader in this contest.
Deb, that is a wonderful story.
Yes, the DAC is electric, sorry, I'm keeping my gas one for now. I'll look around and see how many extention cords I can come up with.
Sorry it is kind of a brown color. I could drop by the Buck store and see if the paint huffers have left any cans of blue spray bomb, if so the color can be adjusted.
My brother has a 22' enclosed trailer, I might be able to swipe it for the weekend if needed. He might need to be distracted when I take it, maybe I could shoot him in the knee. I'm pretty sure that he has medical insurance.
As far as the width goes, I know where there is a 250 ton press, we can squeeze it down to whatever width you need.
That is one nice garden you have there. I have a garden that looks a lot like that. Except mine has a rusted Chevy Vega in it.

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #13 - 09/23/12 at 02:34:49

DAC what?  Like, what's not to know?

No clue what is was.

Checked it out.  No longer made.  Why?  No parts.  Why? Japanese earthquake.  Why?  Someone hates DACs....  Can't messs wid dat.

Scene 2:

Me: Hey, dear, would you mind if I go to Peoria, IL for a couple of days?
Wife: I thought you didn't care about stereo anymore?
Me: I don't.  Not really.  This is for Max.
Wife: Max isn't going to want to go!
Me: No, you don't understand.  Max needs a DAC so he can stop listening all day to Mozart and Bach through 1" speakers of your laptop and, well...
Wife: What?!
Me: Well, if I go to Peoria for Decfest, I get a freeeee DAC for Max.  Now, it doesn't work just yet and it may be unrepairable with no parts because of an earthquake that happened in Japan and messed with the factory.
Wife: You better go.
Me: Are you sure?
Wife: Yup. This is my best chance to make a total fool of you in years.
Me: I'm gettin' it fixed or I'm not coming back!
Wife:  Is that a promise?
Me: One Tokyo detour to inspect earthquake damage, save a few lives rummaging for parts in a compost pile and I'll be back.  You'll never make a fool out of me!@

8-)

Modded Zen Torii Kit 0feedback Ferrari T.
-Current input fav: ITT Lorenz 6922 gold
Transport: Sony 685V modded using large Russian teflon caps on the DAC chip
Speakers: Massive Unity Horns
Subwoofer: WO32 Decware
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 09/23/12 at 14:30:13

OK, now it is turning into a contest!
I'm going to plug the DAC in today, for some reason I think it will work.
Just think if it does work, a $875 DAC for FREE! If not, well I bet Steve can fix it. He has all kinds of tools.
The main thing to remember is that I am stone serious, I'm giving this sucker away to who entertains me the most.

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #15 - 09/23/12 at 23:50:54

Best reason to give it to me:  Here I am, sitting in my home office facing three 24" screens, an old tray of vintage and cryo'd vacuum tubes, russian teflon caps an odd transformer and a dead brown recluse spider who didn't get a last meal off of me, anyway.  To my left a wicker basket with a pair of unused TX-102 Stevens & Billington 16 tap volume control  transformers, remote rotary volume switch, super quality stuff. On floor, box with more teflon caps, 50' of 99.999 pure silver wire with teflon casing. To my right, a 2.5x Optivisor to see what I'm doing and a Fluke 83 Mk V multimeter to know it's probably wrong anyway.

So, what's another harmless piece of hardware going to do to upset all this mess in front of me?

Well, IF we can get the DAC going again, my PC already has an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card installed with digital outputs which has never been used for more than my home brew pc speaker.

Now, this PC isn't just your run of the mill deal.  It's a Dell T5400 workstation powerhouse running dual quad core Xenon processors (8 cores), SSD harddrive, and way cool everything, but I never bothered to do the audio to the stereo.  Gave up interest, I guess.  Life pressed me flat, but....

A fixed DAC would allow the Audiophile 192 card to do its digital out stuff right into my Torii amp to the unity horns and maybe make an impression on an up and coming music pro.  My wunderkind, Max, who has had college profs tutoring him on flute since age 11, won a recent national competition for an intense summer camp scholarship and who spends half his waking hours with music on the web, his flute, his bassoon or just humming a tune and driving us crazy.  He has the right stuff to be the flute virtuoso, composer and conductor he wants to be.   He's had a master class with James Galway in KC, another with Fenwick Smith at the Boston Conservatory.  He reads the encyclopedia for fun and asked for a violin for Christmas when he was 2 (and got it).

All he needs is a DAC attack and the future will be totally annihilated~!

He could care less about tekki stuff.  To him, it's all about the music.  Me, I like the tekki stuff (and music is in the blood).

The DAC might be fixable, maybe not.  It's at least got me thinking I need a way to get my PC's music power into my Torii, Horns and everyone's ears... yup.

Maybe should just sell a few useless pieces of nonsense in my office and buy a DAC, but yours makes a better story... Smiley  And music should be fun.

Now, here's something you'll really like:

"I don't often listen to music, but when I do, I prefer Dos Decquis"

When he spins a disc, angels boogie
When he lights up a tube, it smells like an Havana
He doesn't listen to gear, it listens to him
Asked at the competitive CES: "why cryo"? He answered: "revenge is a dish best served cold"
He once bought a vacuum-sucking LP turntable just to prove CDs suck even more

He is, The Most Interesting Man in dec-World....
"stay biased, my friends"

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #16 - 09/24/12 at 14:21:42

Donnie

I deserve the DAC.  I need to get the part number of the chip that needs to be replaced.  

My wife, Deb, just heard from her childhood friend I'ma.  I'ma Kimono was born in Japan but grew up in Richfield, Minnesota (a block away from where Deb grew up).  I'ma recently moved back to Japan for an arranged marriage to the son of a computer geek who lives in Japan.  It'sa, her new husband, is a great guy who used to work at the family DAC plant, Kawasaki Limited, along the east coast of Tohoku, Japan.   Unfortunately, the east coast of Tohoku (and Kawasaki Limited) doesn't exist anymore after the 2011 tsunami.  However, Im'a Kawasaki told Deb that her husband, It'sa Kawasaki, said that the DAC parts were kept in large blue plastic storage bins at the plant.  Since we typically go to Hawaii in November, this is the opportunity of a lifetime because a large blue plastic storage bin was found floating in the ocean off Waimanalo, Oahu, last week.

http://mauinow.com/2012/09/23/first-marine-debris-from-japan-confirmed-in-hawaii...

With any kind of luck, we will be able to find the blue bin quickly and won't have to search through the rest of the 20 million tons of debris headed towards Hawaii.  

While Chas is fruitlessly digging away in Japan, I'll be watching whales in Hawaii after I've found my blue bin full of DAC chips.  ALOHA!!!

So, I have a plan.  The only thing I need now is the DAC.

Dan

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 09/24/12 at 23:42:10

Wow, the competition is really picking up!
Remember I'm not shipping this thing. I will deliver it to Decware World HQ on Saturday 10/6. I'm leaving my fortified compound at 9:00AM, so that puts me up in E. Peoria at 10:35-10:37AM.
I took tha ZDAC out this weekend and plugged it into my computer, nothing but a soft clicking inside the box. I'm betting that there is very little wrong with it, but my loss is your gain.

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #18 - 09/25/12 at 02:39:55

OK Donnie.  10:37am.  One hand decides it all.  Just remember, this is just between you and me now.  And I don't like sore losers.  Ya shoulda given it to me while I was in a good mood.  Now, it'll cost ya.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/26/12 at 22:54:14

Question: Can I send a MarkBot to E. Peoria in my place?... I had a revelation last night-- or maybe indigestion, I don't know-- that it might save my life to get the ZDAC...

At any rate, I think these guys (above) are pulling your leg with all their fantzy smantzy explanations... Mine is simple: Send the ZDAC, and save a life... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 09/26/12 at 23:45:12

No bots, replicants, analogs, androids, cyborgs, autotrons, or bionics allowed!

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #21 - 09/27/12 at 01:14:43

"No bots, replicants, analogs, androids, cyborgs, autotrons, or bionics allowed!" ~Donnie

But, but, but, but, but, but, but, but..... well, if you really feel that way, none of us will come and you will be there, all alone! ~Billy Joe Bot and the Dec-hands

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #22 - 10/01/12 at 23:33:04

I guess I need to come up with a winner this week. Last chance folks. It is a real tight race. I might have to flip a coin. The ZDAC is just sitting on my desk, waiting for someone to take it home and give it the love that it needs.

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #23 - 10/02/12 at 16:44:37

Yessir, make yo choice and we be truckin'.  Weeze all commin to get that there DAC an ain't no county sheriff, biker bums or pretty girls a gonna stop us now.  Can yo DAC talk Sheriff Buford T. Justice?  "There's no way, NO WAY, you come from my loins.  First thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch your mamma right in the mouth"....

See ya at the fest.  Hammer down, good buddy!

"We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there, we gonna do what they say can't be done......"

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #24 - 10/04/12 at 19:46:57

Sheesh!  I woulda thunk we'd a heard from Major Donnie Kong by now.  Guess he's a way too busy tryin' a flyin' ta Decfest and fixin' DACs at da same time.

Shoot!
Now, THAT'S what I'ze call a capacitor malfunction!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #25 - 10/05/12 at 00:12:40

The contest is too hard to call, so I'm changing the rules.
Remember, 10:37 AM Saturday.
Whoever meets me first at the 'fest and tells me that they want to win the contest gets the DAC. I'll be in a red Jeep Wrangler, carring a cardboard box, 6" tall and wearing Buddy Holly glasses.
I'm still stone serious, someone will be taking my ZDAC-1 home and it ain't going to be me.

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #26 - 10/05/12 at 21:12:30

"I'm still stone serious, someone will be taking my ZDAC-1 home and it ain't going to be me."~Donnie

Nice thought, but if it ain't your wife takin' it home, maybe it can't be fixed.  Then, where will it be a goin' ?  

Don't everybody rush up to his thar Jeep or ya may break it.   Grin

Enjoy the fest!   Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #27 - 10/07/12 at 01:55:29

I want everyone to know that Deb won the DAC. She flagged me down in the driveway as I was pulling in! I was thinking "I wonder what this is about"? I rollled down my window and Deb said "I want the DAC." I immediately jumped out and presented her with it.
That was fun, maybe next year my MG944's......????

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print