Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 20:53:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you clean tube sockets (Read 8534 times)
Don W

How do you clean tube sockets
08/11/12 at 05:24:54

I think the tube sockets in my new/used Mini-Torii are dirty and causing popping and clicking when I move the tube around in the socket. What is the best way to clean?

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Re: How do you clean tube sockets
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 11:31:04

caigs deoxit gold spray and go to your dentist and ask for some small brushes for between teeth . first though , take the tube out and make sure a prong isnt off ar about to be .............  check tube prongs for dirt . make sure tube is in proper position . use small circular motion when removing and installing tubes. you can use alcohol too to clean sockets....... thats about all i can give you

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #2 - 08/11/12 at 14:35:26

Cotton Q-Tips and 99% alcohol (from the pharmacy) works wonders for me.

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #3 - 08/11/12 at 16:07:20

I learned DeoxIT makes a Vacuum Tube Survival Kit: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-1158-caig-vacuum-tube-survival-kit.aspx. Ordered one to try it out.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/12/12 at 11:50:59

there ya go Don ,actually did not know of such a kit.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/13/12 at 16:47:12

Tip: Don't clean tube sockets with pipe cleaners... Unless you're not grounded in any way!... Same goes for those pipe cleaning brushes... They both have metal wire in them...

Of course, you might want to play a game of Polish roulette...  Fun for the whole family, actually...  (m.)
Smiley

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Don W

Reply #6 - 08/20/12 at 19:31:19

The Deoxit kit really did the trick. I had to apply the cleaner (Deoxit D25L) several times in the sockets, especially the input tube sockets, to get them cleaned, but it did work, and was easy. There is now not a hint of static or cracking/popping when I move tubes around or take in and out.

There doesn't seem to be any danger of being shocked cleaning tube sockets with supplied brushes. The brushes for large tubes are protected with plastic handles. The brush for small sockets is metal but there is obviously not a danger of getting shocked using it to apply solution inside sockets because I am still here and did not experience the slightest shock. I really wouldn't think they would expressly say to use these brushes for sockets if there was even the remote possibility of being shocked. DeoxIT is a big company which without a doubt is highly sensitive to the possibility of being sued...

Also good for RCA and Headphone jacks.

I'd say the DeoxIT vacuum tube survival kit provides a good and convenient way to clean and maintain tube sockets and pins. It might be possible to put together a kit yourself for less money, though. Here's the parts list:

1) DeoxIT Cleaner 25% solution, 25 mL bottle, #D25L-25C.
2) DeoxIT GOLD GX-MD, 100% solution, 7.4 mL bottle, #GXMD-2D8. (protects, conditions. specially formatted for high temps.)
3) Lint free cloth, foam swabs - just need something to clean off excess with.
4) Soaking cups (for tube pins.) Could use bottle caps, etc.
5) Socket cleaning brushes - Someone somewhere suggested those little picks used for flossing teeth that you can find beside floss in drug store.

Hope this helps someone.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/12 at 04:48:17

Great info Don, thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print