Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 22:40:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ok to touch tube glass with fingers? (Read 6985 times)
Don W

Ok to touch tube glass with fingers?
08/11/12 at 04:01:17

I have been using bare fingers to change out tubes but just read somewhere that oils from human hand will shorten the life of the tube. Is this correct?

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Re: Ok to touch tube glass with fingers?
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 11:49:55

if you watch the building of the zen amp , Steve Deckert puts the tubes in the unit with his bare hands .  i also do that ,but wipe them down once they are in the amp with a dry soft cloth. does it matter , who knows. A tube can last the time it takes to heat up.... to a 50 year life, ya just dont know unless you have a tube tester. Decware is real good with they're tube policy.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/11/12 at 13:05:34

I have a white tube glove, but rarely use it. How are you going to remember to put the glove on every little time you swap a valve?  The glass is impervious to the elements and the vacuum is inside. How a fingerprint could in any way affect that is beyond me.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/12 at 21:07:28

I never use my bare hand to switch out tubes.   First reason is because I never wait for them to cool off so I don't want to get burned.  Second reason is because on the oddball chance that the tube breaks it won't cut my fingers.   I have had a tube break on me while handling but it was a cryoed one.  We need tube clamps.   Cheesy

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/17/12 at 23:51:19

Good point rmt. I have never had one break in my hand so never thought of this.

I also use a rag to take them out a lot of the time as they are hot. Then I usually put them in with clean hands, but over time this shows, at least with tubes that get rolled a lot, the finger grease burning on to the tube. It seems to clean right off though for the most part as long as it does not go too far.

I guess if you have high dollar tubes you intend to trade at some point, it would be wise to use a cloth or glove every touch, and avoid those fragile NOS markings.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
rmcfee
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 04:38:48

With certain types of high temp bulbs it is an issue (oil from fingers that is) but vacuum tubes don't get hot enough to stress the glass from the oil. I think.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print