Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:28:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My TORII MKIII arrived today! (Read 19724 times)
Hipfan

My TORII MKIII arrived today!
07/11/12 at 01:49:07

My TORII arrived today. It has VCAPS, the Sugang Treasures and approximately 400 hours on it, so not even broken in yet. Initial impressions are that it sounds quite a bit different than the vintage tube amp that I've been running for the past 5 years. I'm not running a preamp, so I am playing around with the bass, treble, impedance and bias to find what works best with my Klipsch Forte II's. A little brighter and a bit less warm than I'm use to, but I imagine the sound will change somewhat over the next 500 hours or so.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My TORII MKIII arrived today!
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 02:08:05

Congrats! I'm sure that it will change a bit as it breaks in. And keep experimenting with the controls. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
63pontiacgp
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/12 at 20:43:26

Hi all, first post on this forum. I received my Torii and ZP3 a couple days ago and I'm also running Forte II's with Crites upgrades. Mine also sound a bit "bright" or harsh. I've been playing with the controls to find a sweet spot. Any others with the same issue with horn speakers?

Mike

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/12 at 22:29:16

Play with the bass/treble and bias switches but mostly I would just try to be patient as it breaks in. I used my Torii very successfully with Forte 1's with Crites crossovers so I'm sure you will eventually find this to be a great match. Are you running your source straight into the Torii or with a pre? In any event there is definitely a break in period. Just keep feeding it a lot ofe music and enjoy the journey. You bought a great amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 08/06/12 at 23:01:21

I agree with Sam's advice. This sound now will change over the  next month, and then the next months. The controls will be a help now, and then. Congrats!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/06/12 at 23:04:34

I've found that with my horn speakers I prefer the bass all the way down. Also changed the rectifiers to nos rca (1953). The sound is still developing especially cuz i just added the zen styx.  Very happy so far and know it will only get better.

JD

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: My TORII MKIII treble control
Reply #6 - 08/23/12 at 18:28:18

With the TORII MK III treble control there is virtually no way any speaker should sound bright any longer than it takes to turn the treble control down.

While the MK III treble control is actually a treble CUT (i.e., variable ground shunt) it will behave differently on different speakers.  

Yes, when it's all the way up, there is no cut, but that does not mean the frequency response is then perfectly flat.  Again it depends on the speaker. More specifically, the Zen TORII will tend to put out more current into higher impedances. That means that the treble of most crossover-less speakers and or horn speakers is going to be slightly exaggerated without a certain amount of cut. This is because the speakers impedance rises with frequency and the amplifier's power output tends to follow.

A good way to adjust the treble control is just the opposite of what most people do. Rather than having it all the way up and then turning it down until you think it sounds right, do this:

Turn it all the way down.  Listen for a minute. It will sound completely muffled. Now VERY SLOWLY begin to turn it up until you hear the high frequencies start to develop.  Don't concern yourself with where the control ends up being set - it's better not to know because of the placebo effect of psycho-acoustics.  Besides that, it is impossible to know where the flat setting actually is since it changes for every loudspeaker.

Just trust  your ears.  Using the described method see how little treble you can get away with, especially while things are breaking in.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
63pontiacgp
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/31/12 at 02:02:18

The sound is better but still a bit harsh to me. I'm seriously considering a pair of MG944's.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/31/12 at 03:30:04

Mike,

The Torii may be revealing the signature sound of your cabling. . . .That's how the amp can be.

IP Logged
63pontiacgp
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/01/12 at 01:33:02

I installed the Crites tweeters and crossovers in my Forte's as well as the Klipsch titanium mids. After some research I found that others are having the same problem. I called Bob Crites and ordered his bandpass mod for the crossovers which hopefully take care of my problem. It seems the new mids have a higher roll off than the stock drivers and they are up a few db at around 7k or so. Will post update once the mod arrives.

Mike

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/04/12 at 12:51:21

"Hi all, first post on this forum. I received my Torii and ZP3 a couple days ago and I'm also running Forte II's with Crites upgrades. Mine also sound a bit "bright" or harsh. I've been playing with the controls to find a sweet spot. Any others with the same issue with horn speakers?"

I'm driving Heresy III's with a Mini Torii. The H3's have titanium diaphrams and took a very long time to settle in. Are your upgrades relatively new? If so, be patient. Enjoy your amp!

IP Logged
63pontiacgp
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/06/12 at 23:16:35

The Crites bandpass mod boards arrived today and all is well.

Mike

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/20/12 at 23:58:18

the insight on treble cut was extremely hlpful Steve, I cut the treble on the Torrii and from My preamp back (rotel rsp-1098), the Torrii besides improving the sonic characteristics has gained alot of headroom, now it's in that 200 watt solid state rivalry type range, even with low efficiency speakers.....

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #13 - 01/01/13 at 00:21:56

i have 3 very different cartridges; wilson benesch carbon, lyra argo i and zu denon 103.  i use the treble control adjustment in a different setting with each one.  a great feature to have.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print