Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:15:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TONEAudio's review of the Zen Torii mk.3 is up! (Read 12146 times)
tonepub
Ex Member

TONEAudio's review of the Zen Torii mk.3 is up!
11/19/11 at 06:29:26

Hello all:

Sorry I didn't get this done in issue #40 as originally planned, but it was a wacky end of the summer, lots of travel!

The magazine is about an 18mb PDF, and it's our first rec components issue in six years.  In addition to the review, the Torii is on the list in the amplifier section and I did keep the review sample, making it part of our stable of reference amplifiers.

I hope those of you that own the Torii feel that I've done justice to the amp, I really like it.

I guess being new, I can't publish a link, but it's on our home page...

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: TONEAudio's review of the Zen Torii mk.3 is up!
Reply #1 - 11/19/11 at 12:54:32

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/19/11 at 14:02:37

Hi Jeff! Very nice review, and I'm so happy you bought the review sample!

We have an earlier thread about the review here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1321454578

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tonepub
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/19/11 at 20:15:12

Wow, you guys are fast!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/19/11 at 20:20:51

Yes, we're devoted.  :)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ncblue

Reply #5 - 11/19/11 at 21:00:59

Great review Jeff! Toneaudio has become my "go to" publication for audio and music reviews. Great stuff!
I just bought my Torii mk3 this summer and I believe she's finally broken in completely. I'm using it with a Modwright LS-100 with a built in phono stage fed by a Rega P9/Zu Audio DL-103 as well as my Modwright modded Oppo BDP83.
I am coming from a Naim Supernait amplifier, so I was a little worried about losing some pace and timing. The Torii is just as good when it comes to getting the groove right, really compelling. With great tone and depth, everything just sounds more real. I had mine set up with the 16 ohm taps to match my Zu Audio Soul Superflys. I am one happy camper with the new system! Smiley

IP Logged
tonepub
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/19/11 at 21:12:59

Nice system!  Glad you like the amp, I have to say, I get the privilege of reviewing a lot of pretty spend stuff and the Torii really stands up. I'm using mine right now with a pair of Verity Audio Amadis speakers that have 93db sensitivity and it's a killer match up, plenty of power to spare.

This is definitely an amp I will have for life...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: TONEAudio's review of the Zen Torii mk.3 is up
Reply #7 - 11/19/11 at 22:00:40

Jeff, you should try the Torii Mk III and ERR combination. i am enthralled every day with this combo driven by the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport and DAC.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/20/11 at 01:41:01

I am pretty much set on the Torrii/Zu Superfly combo. I would love to hear the ERR but it is too much a gamble for me as shipping to Canada would be too much to demo and return. I am afraid I may not like the radial sound. Can anyone chime in and convince me?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: TONEAudio's review of the Zen Torii mk.3 is up
Reply #9 - 11/20/11 at 02:02:14

I've written reams about the Radial sound scattered throughout this website. To summarize I'll say that I now find more conventional speakers I own and friends own lacking a depth and naturalness the ERRs have.

It's a shame it's such a gamble for you due to location. Shouldn't be a problem for TONEAudio though. . . .

IP Logged
backsavekkkSZ
Ex Member

Tissot
Reply #10 - 11/29/11 at 14:51:42

yeah?

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #11 - 01/01/13 at 00:24:22

that review convinced me to try the torii.  glad i did.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/01/13 at 01:04:40

Jeff hits just the right tone with his article. BRAVO!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print