04/26/24 at 20:31:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The 6Y6 (Read 17054 times)
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

The 6Y6
04/21/12 at 13:57:53

I'm glad I went to the effort to try this output tube.  Contrary to a few other opinions, I have not found it tobe in the least fuzzy, ambiguous, vague, harsh, or anything else.  With higher filament current requirements it runs a little warm -- though not even near the heat of a single ended OTL we have.  I have also enjoyed the 12AT7 in front of it, particulalrly with our 15 ohm Lowther horns.  That match seems near ideal. It's nice to have an amplifier I am not in the least compelled to modify.  Amazing clarity, capture of the tiniest details (I like that!) and a power tube that is clipping the wings of a filamentary triode that cost many, many times its price!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: The 6Y6
Reply #1 - 04/21/12 at 14:23:55

The main thing I recall about my experience running these in my MINI is that one of them blew out my 6X4 rectifier. After I used a 6CA4 EZ81 rectifier the unit ran hot as hell. It sounded very good, though. Something like the 6L6 type sound/performance from the amp. The 6Y6 is available for a lot cheaper than the 6L6.  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 04/21/12 at 16:18:57

Apparently, the promise of a very flexible/robust little tube rolling platform amp, not missing audiophile sound quality regardless of compatible tube used, is true.

This makes it ideal for perfectionist tunners, but opens the range of possible alternatives too wide: I started with a short list of possible output tube candidates (aside from the two-fold driver choices), and it keeps increasing (and this is only on family types, never mind particular brands, build dates or construction ... )   Huh

It's good to have choices, though.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/21/12 at 16:22:35

Yes, as I might have mentioned, tube-rolling can be maddening. Wink One thing I loved about my SE34 Monoblocks was the solid state rectifier. I could roll input and output tubes, the rectifier sound was fixed. It was a well-chosen sound, and rectifier tubes can change everything and set you into a whirl of tube-rolling and you can lose your bearings!

That won't happen to you. You're too sensible. Smiley Glad that your amp is bing built!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 04/21/12 at 16:45:30

Thanks, Lon.  I can't wait!  It may be shipped this coming week, along with the DM945's.  BTW, I upgraded the speaker's 6dB crossover capacitors to Mundorf's (from the Clarity originals), as per Bob Ziegler's recommendation.  It seems the speaker improves tangibly with this not too expensive upgrade.

I try to be sensible and limit the investment levels to the rational, but this is something that may become harder to do as I get used to the stock sound and start wondering on what is possible next, out there!

The best bet is to immerse in the music enjoyment.  I've had plenty of time to classify, select and convert most of my music collection, getting ready to the gear's arrival.  :)

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/12 at 22:59:00

The 6Y6 runs quite warm.  I've used other amps and old radio receivers that run HOT X 2.  Very happy, no problems whatever.  Glad you guys are enjoying yours, as well as looking forward to owning and personalizing a remarkable little amplifier with a great big heart.  BTW, if you have your amp in a rack with a shelf a few inches above it, you'll notice the heat more.  Out in the open on a stand, it's just slightly warmer to the touch compared to the 6V6.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/12 at 21:01:32

Sheesh......the 6f6 is awesome, as well.  Hadn't used it in a bit, and ordered some very nice NOS versions.  How can one complain about the 6V6?  It's also outstanding, and to me, maybe a bit more rounded sounding than the slightly sharper other two mentioned here. Best driver for speakers is far and away the 12at7 -- for headphones, the 12au7.   Love this amplifier!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/22/12 at 21:35:30

Erik,

It really does sound like you are enjoying the amp! I have a pair of adapters that convert a given tube to triode and that will be fun to try.
Just another 2.5 months to wait.  ;)

BTW, you can also use E80CC's in the Mini.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #8 - 04/23/12 at 02:00:26

I agree about the 12at7, although I have as yet only compared it with 12au7 and 12ax7 (and a super 12ax7 known as the 12ad7...I have stash that I have pulled from old sony reel to reels from the 60's...highly recommended in place of the 12ax7). The 12at7 just sounds better for me.

Not a big fan of the 6y6 yet though. I picked up a pair new in box by Sylvania. One of the joys of this hobby for me is breaking the seal on the crumbling old tube packages that have sat waiting for 50 or 60 or 70+ years and starting them up for the first time ever. But the 6y6 seems too lean to me, at least in my speakers anyway. The jury is still out though. System synergy is what it is.

Still loving the mini tori though!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
  IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/26/12 at 01:40:30

Kevin - I think your use of the word "lean" is a good description.  I had mentioned I found the 6v6 more sort of rounded out, which might be the opposite, or at least different in that respect relative to the 6y6.  As you indicate it's all about system synergy, which to my way of thinking includes the listener as the cornerstone of that system.  We are in fact very much a part of the whole chain of events, from signal input to the way we individually respond to the way the sound becomes vibrated and perceived.  So, not to get too philosophical here, but there is no correct tube for this amp among those suitable for its use.  And I agree that it continues to be a great amplifier as I continue to break in and become more accostomed to its signature sound.  "WHAT? Preposterous!," some may and probably will exclaim, "People do not get broken in, components are what get broken-in!"

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 04/26/12 at 11:50:43

Interesting findings, folks.  If you read the Mini Torii's earlier threads, you'll find people who swore about the E80CC as an upgraded 12au7:

'The E80CC is like a super 12AU7 but provides a nicely balanced sound' ... 'puts just a little less weight and substance into the sound than a 12AT7, but more so than a 12AU7' ... 'I am continuing to enjoy the MT with no tube changes.  I am currently using Mazda 6x4s, Pope 6V6s, and Valvo E80CCs.... ' (tybee)

Further proof this amp is really versatile and can adapt to anyone's particular tastes and setup.

BTW, mine has been shipped already, so I will soon find out how it sounds in my setup with the stock configuration.  :)

IP Logged
erik2a3
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/26/12 at 21:46:01

I think you'll like it just as it is.

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print