Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:57:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6bg6 (Read 18484 times)
Kevin

6bg6
03/28/12 at 15:15:20

Ok, sorry to spam the board with two new posts in 24 hours, but  wanted to share another tube that seems to be great for the mini torii and that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Its the 6bg6, and it is a real sleeper.

Basically it is a 6l6 with an anode cap. You'll need to make or buy an adapter, but once you have that it is plug and play, just like a regular 6l6g. I've had a pair running in my mini for the past few hours with no issues.

The advantage is that great nos American 6bg6 can be purchased for just a few dollars each! I bought several quads when I had a Jim Nichols amp, and spent only $3-$4 each for RCA, Sylvania and Tung Sol tubes from the 50s. They sound really wonderful too and there are a variety of shapes and sizes. Some have a purplish glow when running.

Attached is a pic for reference. Happy listening!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: 6bg6
Reply #1 - 03/29/12 at 03:08:02

Positively Frankensteinean looking, but how do they sound? Also how do you adapt those wires?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #2 - 03/29/12 at 15:03:45

6BG6 sound really good. Certainly better to my ears than any of the 6V6 I have tried so far. Larger and richer sound, similar to the 350B which I also really like in this amp.

You can buy inexpensive 6l6/6bg6 pinout adapters on that auction site.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/12 at 23:23:36

Thanks for the posts Kevin. They helped me to decide on a Mini Tori too.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #4 - 04/03/12 at 16:19:25

Hi Florida Boy,

Glad to hear it! This is a recommendation that I can certainly feel good about having made. I think you are going to love this amp!

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/05/12 at 23:47:47

You can use 807 tubes too...another supercharged 6L6, with an adapter....available at the auction site.

IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #6 - 04/06/12 at 15:58:00

Awesome. I thought so, but wasn't sure yet. There are a few other tubes I think could work here too, but want to ask Steve about them before trying.

But, so far this amp is:

A single ended 6v6
A single ended 6l6
A single ended 6y6
A single ended 6k6
A single ended 6f6
A single ended 5881
A single ended 6bg6
A single ended 807
A single ended 350b

Am I missing any? And that's just the output tubes. Amazing.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 04/06/12 at 16:52:20

Although totally subjective, could you rank the sound quality (to your ears) in this list, with 12aU7 and 12aT7, respectively (only the combinations you have personally listened to in the Mini Torii)?  Evidently, the particular brands are also important to note (and whether these are NOS or current production).

This would provide us newbies with an orientation of where to start in rolling tubes with the Mini Torii, once it is broken-in.  Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Kevin

Reply #8 - 04/06/12 at 18:53:04

It will be quite a while before I have impressions in the detail you requested, sorry. In general so far, and as expected, the 6l6 types I have tried (new Black Sable 6l6, new Valve art 350b, 1940's Philco 6bg6 and 1950's GE 6bg6) sound "bigger" than the 6v6 (of which I have the nice Russian set that came with the amp and 1952 Bendix 5992). I also picked up a set of nos 6y6 but have only run them for 30 minutes or so.

Is bigger better? Maybe. Maybe not. Pretty much impossible to tell what another person will like. It seems I like the bigger sound of the 6l6 types.

As for me, I would have to say that so far I am liking the Philco 6BG6 that are pictured above the best. Nice large and rich sound, way beyond the outside of the speakers, lots of detail but still smooth. All adjectives that mean something just a bit different to everyone.

All of my time has been with the 12at7 as driver.

As an aside, the 50+ year old 6BG6 tubes are really well made beauties, with ceramic spacers, etc and would probably cost a ton of cash to reproduce today.

I would say, use the 6v6 tubes that come with the amp, and get a set of one of the 6l6 types, and you have a good idea of what to expect from the mini.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/06/12 at 19:16:07

FB,

Kevin has good advice. What you will prefer may be different because your associated gear is not the same and personal preference is a big factor. Also, you may prefer one tube for jazz and another for classical
etc. Some of the new production tubes are also excellent and very affordable...like the Valve Art 350B. You could go for Western Electric
350B's....if you sell your bike.  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-350B-pair-of-NOS-date-code-7626-/270947...

Nuts huh?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 04/06/12 at 21:29:00

Thanks for your input, Kevin.  I understand and appreciate your taking the time to describe your current preferences.  I know is not directly translatable to my case, but gives me a better idea.

FB, I would try current production alternatives over NOS, if I can help it.  In any event, my bike remains with me!  ;)  Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/06/12 at 23:17:53

Don't sell your bike.  ;)

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/15/12 at 16:57:48

I visited prominent tube collector Jim Cross's place in Orlando, Florida this week; Vacuum Tubes, Inc. He is primarily mail order, but is gracious enough to allow folks to come around and look at what he has got. I have been to Cross's place before and left there with some nice things.

I was looking at the stock of 6BG6's. The Tung Sols had flashing on the side, which I was not too keen on aesthetically. The RCA's CBS's and Sylvanias were nice. Unfortunately I talked myself out of picking any of this type because I already have some 6L6's. Moreover I have returned to the 6V6 in this amp. Also, he did not have any of those adapters with the diabolical looking top cap. A pair was available on ebay over in Asia for a ridiculous price, around $40.00 or $50.00.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/16/12 at 00:47:25

You can get an adapter 'kit' from SND Tubes for $10 ea. but if you have 6L6's.....

Sounds like the Orlando trip was a lot of fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print