Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:23:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Speakers with Your Torii? (Read 23645 times)
dwolek
Verified Member

What Speakers with Your Torii?
12/21/11 at 15:32:46

Hi - Just wondering if we could start a thread to discuss which speakers we are using with our Torii's.  Currently I am using DIY HDT's, but am also considering some offerings by Coincident, Triangle and Solliloqay (all >92 db efficient).  Probably a lot of Zu and Decware speak users here, but it would be very interesting to see what others are using.

Merry Christmas

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What Speakers with Your Torii?
Reply #1 - 12/21/11 at 16:19:45

I've used Turning Point Audio HR-1s with my Torii Mk III (they were sort of Decware when I bought them) and now I'm using Decware ERRs. Love them both. Use the HR-1s in my second system with a Torii Mk II. I've also used the Decware RL-2s with both Toriis.

I am addicted to the Decware "Radial" design, and I don't see myself buying any other type of speaker. These work so so well with the Torii amps and the ERR is the refined pinnacle of the design. I highly recommend considering them if you are looking for speakers for the Torii.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/22/11 at 02:49:27

What Lon said.

I have not heard the Turning Points, though Lon has shared his impressions and I have corresponded with Bob about them. But I am definitely addicted to my six ERRs. I have had a lot of speakers, but have always had a fondness for radials (Ohm F) and also for ribbons (too many different ones). The ERRs and the Toriis are just amazing together.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/22/11 at 03:25:50

And I have not heard the ERRs but have the latest iteration of Bob Ziegler's HR-ONES, and after a little tuning to my tastes with caps and a little more resonance control, I can't imagine a speaker sounding better with the Torii, at least not anywhere near the price. I loved my MG944s which were brilliant, but the HR-Ones have them beat by my tastes, with what is great about the 944s, but with a smoother, more refined, and more elegant presentation. Amazing sound to me. But here we all are talking about Decware/Ziegler speakers! Sorry, couldn't help it. I hope some of those using other speakers hear your call!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/22/11 at 14:31:46

Both the Turning Points and the ERRs are excellent speakers that work well with the Torii. Amazing sounds from each. The Turning Points contain elements of a more conventional design coupled with the ambient, omni-directional nature of the Radial design. They offer a more detailed two channel presentation, and the ERRs a more omni-directional ambient presentation in my estimation. Coming from years of RL-1 and RL-2 use to the Turning Point I gained detail and a more conventional stereo sound, but this did not always serve all my recorded source material as well as the change to the ERRs did. When i received the ERRs I went "AAHHHH!" just like Goldilocks, the presentation was just right for me and the varied sources I have on hand. In my larger listening room they just have the edge over the Turning Points for me. In my second system, in my bedroom, the Turning Points are superb. The Torii Mk II there is slightly less detailed than the Mk III and the smaller room makes the more conventional presentation come to life in a way it doesn't in the larger listening space. I love them both, each can be the perfect speaker for the right room and accompanying components, AND considering personal listening styles and tastes. If you go for all the detail in the world and pinpoint imaging, the HR-1s have the edge. For an enveloping sound and a slightly more forgiving presentation the ERRs cannot be topped. I've fallen hard for the omni-directional aspect of the Radial designs--to me they are more accurate in a "live music" sense, and the HR-1s are more accurate in a faithful to a stereo recording sense.

You can't go wrong with either. I'm in an enviable position of having both! I need to protect my financial situation so that I always will!

I have tried my Torii Mk III with some other speakers, an old pair of built to survive a nuclear attack Smiley Knight speakers, and a pair of Marantz speakers a friend of mine has (I gave them to him about seven years ago) and the amp works great with those too. The Knight are tight and dynamic in their heavy wooden cabinets, with a dry and crisp presentation. The Marantz are warm and yet very precise in a way that is very pleasing, but in comparison to the Decware speakers there are layers missing. The thing about the Torii Mk III when considering speaker choice I think is: it's a pretty brutally honest and extremely comprehensive amplifier. It can extract so much from your source and then pass that along to the speakers. Bot the front end and the speaker end will be asked to be on their toes and show you their best. All the good attributes will shine. And you won't be able to hide deficiencies easily. Speaker placement, component isolation, interconnect and speaker cabling, power treatment. . . all can matter. It can be a bit overwhelming if you let it. The trick is to find the musical heart of your system, and with the Torii Mk III you can. In some ways if you pay attention to the details you can make any components sing! And mostly in tune! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/24/11 at 19:41:12

Lon wrote:
Quote:
The thing about the Torii Mk III when considering speaker choice I think is: it's a pretty brutally honest and extremely comprehensive amplifier. It can extract so much from your source and then pass that along to the speakers. Bot the front end and the speaker end will be asked to be on their toes and show you their best. All the good attributes will shine. And you won't be able to hide deficiencies easily.

This, in spades.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/24/11 at 21:54:21

I don't think the TORII should be use with speakers that are less than 91db @ one watt.

It couldn't drive my speakers which are 87-88db.

Fortunately, the CS 600 can.

Happy Holidays.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/25/11 at 01:35:07

Happy Holidays kana, glad you found an amp that works so well.

IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/25/11 at 16:42:00

I'm hoping you are wrong, Kana.

I've got a pair of Von Schweikert VR-33s (90db) on their way to me to try with the Torii.  I love my current loudspeaker, but my room (re)configuration isn't playing well with it.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/25/11 at 17:48:01

Didn't RivieraRanch have positive experience with his Von Schweikerts? Maybe I am misremembering.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/25/11 at 18:49:29

There are too many variables to put a strict minimum 91dB 1w/1m number on a 25w tube amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 12/25/11 at 19:28:10

Right. Crossover has a lot to do with it.

I think it's safe to say all the Decware full size speakers should work well.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/26/11 at 05:13:12

I am using a Pair of Hammer Dynamics I built with My own outboard crossovers.  North creek coils and tin foil bypass caps, Vishay bybass caps,  deuland and Ohmite resistors, main caps are a mix of Clarity, Sonicap and Obligatto.  
 96-97 DB efficient

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/29/11 at 07:08:43

Gopher-

I hope I'm wrong too, but after looking at the VR-33 specs I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hauoli makahiki hou!

IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/29/11 at 08:57:40

I have a set of VR4's and all is well.  Can easily go to the to loud area with no issue.  In general a very comfortable listening experience. These are in a estimated 20x25 area. VR4's are 90dB @ 1 watt, 1 meter

IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 01/02/12 at 15:01:50

KimKman,

Thanks a lot--that gives me a lot of hope!  As we all know, loudness isn't really the issue with power though, I'm a little concerned about control and ease/effortlessness.  I'm definitely getting that in spades with my 101db, cross-over-less Zu Soul Superflys...  I guess I'll see tomorrow what the VSAs bring.

I always liked my Torii, but since pairing it with my Audion Premiere preamp, I've REALLY loved it and don't want to let it go.

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 02/07/12 at 07:01:58

I'm still waiting to upgrade, but here it goes. polk owm 1's... and a very first generation sunfire subwoofer that's been redone by sunfire and ground loop issues re-resolved. it's a shame that I don't have some true high efficiency speakers to run with the Torii, but it's a work in progress. I have purchased some plans to build some of the decware speakers when I get a good table saw ($1200-$2000 jet table saw), probably another year or so, don't get Me wrong the Torri can make the polks performs at high levels with clarity and realism, vocals and live instruments really shine through.

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 02/07/12 at 07:16:14

actually they are polk owm 3's... very low efficiency, can't wait to upgrade to something witharound 95 db efficiency. .

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/18/12 at 04:32:03

Zu Soul Superfly. Fantastic synergy. I had my Torii buit with 8 and 16 ohm taps but really can't tell the difference.

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 06/09/12 at 13:17:44

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury SE, 96dB. After only 2 1/2 days this
is already purely magical...  I am getting extra depth and detail,
and this weekend I am starting to get more adventurous with the
volume and more complex music. Cantate Domino earlier, Turandot now and Beethoven's Ninth later. Awesome!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print