Send Topic Print
CD Player Advice (Read 36301 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

CD Player Advice
12/21/11 at 00:54:36

Does anyone know of a cd player with a tube output for a decent price. I have a Cayin right now, but am convinced that it will go  bye bye some day soon.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: CD Player Advice
Reply #1 - 12/21/11 at 01:42:43

I have a Njoe Tjoeb, which is really nice. Get the one with the upsampler and the other upgrades.  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 12/21/11 at 02:07:55

wow, I havent heard of that player in some time. So they are available? And where can I buy one? They were quite the rage awhile back.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/21/11 at 03:30:44

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/21/11 at 12:53:35

The link to the ZCD has a picture of Steve's tube tester instead of the CD player.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/21/11 at 12:55:42

The Tjoeb player is still available from Upscale Audio.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Ah!-Njoe-Tjoeb-4000.html

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Ah!-Njoe-Tjoeb-4000-with-SuperTubeClock%E2%...

However for what they are asking the ZCD might prove better

55   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #6 - 12/21/11 at 13:01:17

I will vouch for opnly_bafld's recommendation.  I had one of the earlier models and it was one fine sounding player.  To find something better, it took about $7500.00 at retail and the Decware player was not embarrassed in a head to head comparison.

Steve tells me that the new version is even better than the one I had .....  

You won't go wrong with this one .....

Randy

PS ..... I do believe that Rivieraranch is right about the photo

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 12/21/11 at 13:33:00

I was quite dissatisfied with the very first ZCD model; I owned this and never relaxed into the sound even after I added all the options. It did not accomplish my goal of making all my collection listenable in the way that three other players I've owned afterwards have. I much prefer the sound of the DEC685 that Steve built before the ZCD. I realize my experience was perhaps atypical.

Undoubtedly the new player is wonderful, there have been great reviews by users.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 12/21/11 at 13:59:19

Option 'B' is that I just use my cheap phillips dvd player, and for the rest, use a new music server such as the one offered by Olive. I keep hearing how great HD is from wav files.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #9 - 12/21/11 at 17:45:51

I've also been very happy with my ZCD, but would love to hear the latest version.
Best
don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #10 - 01/15/14 at 00:57:11

It's always fun to revive a thread that's a few years old.

I have the Jolida JD100 CDP. It uses 2 x 12AX7 in the output stage (or 5751 if you want less gain). I had one years ago, sold it, and missed it so much I bought another! My all time favourite CDP.

http://audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=46

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/25/14 at 13:05:11

I have a zcd 200i, I also have a oppo cdp103. in the same system with a superzen amp and audio nirvana 2.8 cabinets , 10 inch driver in a 9x13 room . the zcd has more gain,  bigger soundstage . the oppo  is all things to audiophiles or videophiles . plays anything extremely well , very accurate... After installing Jupiter cryoed beeswax caps in the zcd and spending lots of money in 12au7's, the zcd  got very good , however the oppo is more accurate and detailed. I'm happy with both and will keep both.  Oh , after alls said and done I have about 1500 in the zcd , and the Oppo, well it was 499.00. lots of breakin required in both , both have volume control . Oppo has firmware updates , highly recommended!!! Remember its all a compromise!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/25/14 at 13:46:27

I'll second the Jolida JD-100.  

I've thought of upgrading to the PS Audio transport/DAC combo Lon uses when it was on sale for half price...4K or to the new Jolida Transport/DAC at $2300 with 6 tubes inside. But then I listen to my used JD 100 that I picked up for a little over $500 and think...."the enemy of Good is Better". With a pair of Raytheon 12AX7s with halo getters I picked up from Mike here, this sounds so good why mess with success. I do feel a small tinge of guilt when I think of pairing this budget CDP with my Torii MK IV and soon to arrive HR-1 speakers.  I've got several times what it cost just in ICs and power cords.  Oh well, such is the mystery of this Hobby. I plan on buying another JD 100 for a second system when I move my Taboo MK III out of my Listening Cave. Mark.

PS... Did I mention that it's beautiful?  Plus the heavy steel remote doubles as an effective self defense weapon!

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #13 - 01/25/14 at 14:15:18

I had that same Jolida, but inspite of sounding fine, mine was plagued
with reliability problems, I'd have lived with it otherwise.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #14 - 01/25/14 at 14:17:53

Jolida stuff is truly hit or miss when it comes to quality. Then again, so is almost 100% of the Chi-fi stuff I've owned.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/25/14 at 14:31:38

Yes, all things mechanical/audio can have problems...I've had a couple CDPs malfunction and I usually just buy a new one rather than have it repaired.  I still have them...I never throw anything away.  I'm a little OCD like that.

I will add a couple caveats to my comments.  First, this model has been discontinued and replaced by the more expensive..."Better"? JOLIDA FUSION DAC & TRANSPORT.  Second,  I read that the transport in it was not going to be manufactured anymore.  So replacement parts and repair may be an issue in the future.

Mine had been recently sent to Jolida for service (I have the receipt) but the seller didn't tell me for what.  Nor did he know the year of original purchase or manufacture. I got the impression he wasn't the original owner although he didn't come out and say so.  Regardless, I plan on buying another.  Mark

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 02/16/14 at 19:20:49

Mark,
 "The enemy of good is better" Maybe I will have that put on my grave stone. Or maybe I will just stick with, " I told you I was sick".  Either way, good stuff.
 Now, I still have the Cayin, BUT I have been using a 'new' Yamaha SACD player, AND a 'new' Yamaha MX1000 CD bank, at least that's what I call it. It stores all of my Cd's in memory. It sounds ok, but for more serious listening I like the SACD. I have not compared the Cayin to either, but I can readily say that I like the Cayin sound over the Yamaha MX1000. Sometimes you don't have to have a horse race to know who will win.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/29/14 at 19:56:19

Just thought I'd give an update.  I've been using my silver faced Jolida 100 for seven months and recently bought a second one...black faced...on Audiogon.  Both are unmodified except for a pair of 1950's Black Plate Baldwin labeled Raytheon 12AX7's (Not the expensive ones with windmill getters but the ones with halos)...they are a great improvement. This past week I moved the new/used Jolida 100, Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones with Silver Widow Balanced cables from Toxic cables to the den where I've been enjoying them immensely. I paid about $507 for the first Jolida CDP and $450 for the second including shipping so it's not a huge risk/investment.  I'm sure there are better players but this one is very musical and simple to use.  For the money, those on a budget or not...should consider picking one up.  Mark.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #18 - 03/29/14 at 20:14:12

Interesting ... I just opened up my second one yesterday to check what kind of tubes were in there. When I bought it (used) the seller told me there were Sylvania tubes in there.

Low and behold, they were Baldwin organ tubes as well. Mine have the green label on them (I heard they can also be yellow).

The manufacturer code on the suggests that they are in fact made by Sylvania.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 03/29/14 at 20:46:17

mark58 wrote on 03/29/14 at 19:56:19:
Just thought I'd give an update.  I've been using my silver faced Jolida 100 for seven months and recently bought a second one...black faced...on Audiogon.  Both are unmodified except for a pair of 1950's Black Plate Baldwin labeled Raytheon 12AX7's (Not the expensive ones with windmill getters but the ones with halos)...they are a great improvement. This past week I moved the new/used Jolida 100, Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones with Silver Widow Balanced cables from Toxic cables to the den where I've been enjoying them immensely. I paid about $507 for the first Jolida CDP and $450 for the second including shipping so it's not a huge risk/investment.  I'm sure there are better players but this one is very musical and simple to use.  For the money, those on a budget or not...should consider picking one up.  Mark.

Glad you're happy with it Mark, and it's nice to have TWO. Smiley

I have too many players, and I hope I'm done buying them. DACs. . . that's a different story. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/29/14 at 20:48:40

Baldwin had tubes manufactured by different companies so each color printing was usually a different company.  Green...Sylvania, Yellow...Raytheon.  I think Brown were Japanese tubes. How do your's sound.  The Raytheons are great...I also have a pair in my ZP3.  I've ordered four GE Triple Mica Black Plate 5751's to try in the Jolida 100 and ZP3.  Mark  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Raytheon-Baldwin-12AX7-ECC83-Stereo-Tube-1962-11...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-Baldwin-12ax7-tubes-Matched-pair-same-codes-w-m...

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #21 - 03/29/14 at 21:00:51

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

The CDP sounds remarkably good. Tons of tone... smooth... engaging and musical

My previous Jolida came with the crappy stock Chinese glass. I swapped in a pair of matched JJ 12AX7 and the sound difference was actually stunning. And I'm not even a huge fan of JJ tubes!

I haven't tried 5751 tubes in it yet, but I've read that they are a good choice for this CDP.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 04/01/14 at 01:56:31

The Cayin that I have still has Tele-funkin tubes. I hope that they last forever, as they worked perfectly in this system. I liked the Cayin to begin with, but the tubes are an added bonus.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 05/08/14 at 04:02:14

Well, the Cayin kicked the bucket. Pretty good run for 12 years, and it was used when I bought it. I am seriously gonna buy a Emotiva erc3 tomm.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #24 - 05/08/14 at 22:19:38

Sorry to hear about the demise of your Cayin. But 12 years ... ! That's pretty impressive. Most things today are made to last a year or so, tops (except for Decware, of course).

I wasn't aware Emotiva still made the ERC. What made you decide on that one?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #25 - 05/08/14 at 23:56:20

KB,

Tough to say why I make some decisions. I did read  a few good things about the ERC3. Probably budget has as much to do with it as anything. Maybe a Rega Apollo will pop up that I can afford instead. It sounded most like the Cayin. Funny how some components will give you a warning shot, maybe two, then 'bye bye' for good. I have also heard good things about the 'Ah toeb' player.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #26 - 05/09/14 at 00:43:32

Probably a good idea buying a new CDP, with warranty.

I have the feeling a lot of used CDP's on the market are ones that have fired "the warning shot" (ie... skipping or non-reads), and the owners want to unload them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 05/09/14 at 01:02:24

KobeeDog wrote on 05/09/14 at 00:43:32:
Probably a good idea buying a new CDP, with warranty.

I have the feeling a lot of used CDP's on the market are ones that have fired "the warning shot" (ie... skipping or non-reads), and the owners want to unload them.

Well, I actually know a few people who sold theirs recently because they have switched to those silly new-fangled digital files. Smiley

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #28 - 05/09/14 at 01:13:14

There's always that too.

I actually went the other direction... I had a pretty nice PC/DAC setup, but I went back to spinning discs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 05/09/14 at 01:26:31

I just cut out the middle part of that cycle. Smiley

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #30 - 05/10/14 at 23:41:09

Pulled the trigger on the ERC3 from Emotiva. If I am not totally impressed, then back it goes.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #31 - 05/11/14 at 01:50:26

Be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I had the XDA-1 a couple years back, and it was actually pretty good.

http://audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=3924

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #32 - 05/13/14 at 02:57:27

Kobee,

To do over again, I would be tempted to just get the dac, as it has inputs that can be used with computers. Swing and a miss. I am still anxious to get this thing. And I have even considered using my old CD players dac for just such a purpose. I have always really liked the sound that comes from it's analog output.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #33 - 05/17/14 at 01:02:22

Got the Emotiva ERC3 player today. Haven't much listening yet. What I have noticed right away is that I am hearing a separation of background details that were previously all mixed up. I can pick out small details in the background that make the music even more interesting. More to follow.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #34 - 05/17/14 at 01:18:43

That's good to hear!

I'm not surprised to hear it sounds good. I believe it uses the same DAC chip as the 2000 dollar Cambridge Audio 840C, which is no slouch.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #35 - 05/17/14 at 03:13:47

One thing that is easy to appreciate right off is the build quality. Even the remote is solid aluminum, and makes easy sense to use. If it turns out to sound as good as it's built, then it is a winner for sure.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 03/28/15 at 19:43:47

not a tube cd... i really like my toshiba sd9200.  you can still find them very nice for $200.  i run mine as a transport to a bifrost uber.  i've been working on getting my analog side to sound better and haven't accomplish it yet...

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/14/15 at 15:20:45

Seems Steve tried to give you an answer this week:  ;)

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #38 - 08/10/15 at 06:56:22

Wow, I missed this post, butnow that read it, I'm fully impressed with ZEN player. The ONLY problem that I would have had was price. I can see that it is very well worth it, I just don't have the bux...
 Now that I have had the Emotiva ERC3 player some time, it was the best choice for a $500 player.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print