Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 06:32:58 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound? (Read 146262 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound?
Reply #100 - 02/16/17 at 20:44:11

It looks like I ran the Casts in my burnin thing for 3-4 days, then in the system several days. So I guess they are close to 100 hours when I pulled them. But the Fry Baby is not just the same as music...so maybe another day or two will tell the tale.

At this point, they are too "in the face" for me, but they do sound quite interesting other than being too powered up. Hopefully this will settle down. I did have an enjoyable "trip" into the music last night with them!

The Mullard GZ32 in the CSP3 was I think "about 90%" when I got it, having been used in a guitar amp. It cost about nothing and was a '59 so I wanted to hear it. I got it about 1.5 years ago, and going strong. Before that I used several different GZ32s, an early ST shape Mazda like I have used in my Torii a long time, but mostly fat bottle types, also Mazda labelled, one Dario that looks like Telefunken fat bottles. I never went long enough to say how long they may last. Many years though according to the Mazdas in the Torii... my eBay history does not go back far enough to say when I got those.

I have had 3! fail in the CSP3. One was labelled Adzam, and two Telefunken. Those were also early, and all NOS. They shorted out within a day or less...No idea why...shipping damage??? Rough history in the boxes. Don't know, but the only rectifiers that have gone on me at all have been shorts, blowing the fuse.

Another interesting tube is 5V4G, the US "equivalent" of a GZ32. Not necessarily the same, some more different, and some closer to Phillips STs. Especially early fat bottles with D getters (older) can be nice. I just put in a Tungsol, and it sounds great.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 02/17/17 at 00:03:21

Thanks Will, that helps.  Interesting about the Tungsol.  My GZ32 are NOS CV593 (Brit. Mil.) and I did pay - it hurt, but not as much as Uncle Kevs Philips.  I'll look for a Tungsol on the cheap, if only to try, my curiosity is peaked.

Regarding the Carbon Casts, that was my only gripe - powered up, a little too in your face.  They seemed to settle enough for me and do have a certain intriguing character, if not totally honest, somehow they do seem to give me the illusion of the real thing.  I think that I could make them work except for...

I don't know if I'll work with ERR's long enough once I get the Omegas and not having an amp now complicates things.  So this might be a loose end for quite a while.

Turns out I ordered the first pair of Omegas. Kind of silly to be exited about that at my age.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 02/17/17 at 01:37:36

Sounds exciting to me!

The Tungsol is a little rounder and more textured than the Mullard, while being quite open and defined. Clearer in some ways, and deeper in others... the way it does spaciousness seems to round out the Casts nicely. It is all so much about what is with what!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 02/17/17 at 02:18:05

Will,
Ever tried a 5Y3GT in the CSP3?  Some posted that they use a 5Y3 in the CSP and the GZ2 in the Select.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 02/17/17 at 02:37:19

Guys, I have to chime in here. Any conversation that 'degenerates' into a discussion of tubes is a very worthy conversation.

I must confess I am something of a rectifier collector. But somehow, I've never owned the GZ32. I've always thought of it as most similar to the 5Y3, though I am not exactly sure what the differences are in electrical specs off hand.

I've tested most of the following rectifiers, or at least own them, in the SE84CKC amp, which is ruthlessly revealing, or the Taboo III with the HD800 or Hifiman HE6. My pre-amp also takes 5Y3, so I have alot of those.
- Philips metal base 5AR4/GZ34
- USAF 596/5U4G equivalent
- Marconi U50/5Y3 black base, inverted cup getter
- Marconi U50/5Y3 brown base, D getter
- Neotron 5Y3 mesh plate
- Sophia 274B meshplate, current production
- Ken Rad 5Y3GY with donut mica and fishing pole filaments
- Bendix 6106/5Y3
- RCA 5U4GB top getter
- Cossor 53KU/5U4G
- Brimar brown base 5R4G^
- Brimar labeled 5U4G/believed to be RCA, bottom getter
- RCA 5R4GY, tan base
- Mullard GZ30 (5Y3 equivalent?)
- Radiotechnique 5Y3 tall bottle

I can pretty much tell you the characteristics of each from memory, if you were so interested. I should probably right them down at some point. However, I can tell you that using the ERR speakers, or the HD800 with classical music, the Brimar 5R4GY stands out. Some folks who are not used to tubes, perhaps might describe this tube as overly 'warm' or even syrupy, but I personally love it. As a former classical musician, to me this makes the orchestra just sound right. I also really liked the RCA 5R4GY, and you can find some really cool old samples in their original boxes, from the 1950's on eBay. In terms of 5Y3, the Neotron mesh plate I got, wow....forget it though, it's so rare - I bought it from a dude in France I met online. I also really like the Marconi U50 tubes which are 5Y3 equivalents electrically. They have great sound!!! Some are make in UK, others in Italy. It does seem there are some ITalian made Marconi tubes - they are not all GEC/Osram made. My first one was the brown base D getter with Marconi sticker (see picture below) and I enjoyed it so much I sought out backups. Also great with classical and jazz ensembles. I ended up getting alot from a gentleman in the UK of U50 tubes, and some have the inverted cup getter. One is in my preamp right now - these are really great too. I found the BEndix 6106 ruler flat neutral. Not romantic enough for my tastes, but definitely neutral. I also really liked the Philips metal base 5AR4 - listened to my tube for the first time in my Taboo with Hifiman HE6 headphones at a meet - it blew my mind. I want those headphones now just so I can listen to that combo all day long. So textured, the most microdetail of any tube and headphone combo I've heard. Expensive tube. Right now the Cossor 53KU is in my amp. I believe it's a 5U4G equivalent. Have you rectifier lovers seen the thread on Headfi about rectifiers?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-re...

s-l1600_4.jpg

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 02/17/17 at 02:44:37

JOMAN, I can't believe you dropped that kind of coin without ever listening to Omega speakers. Holy smokes! But all I can say is I am 100% certain you will not be disappointed. My first experience hearing Omega speakers changed my entire perspective on audio, and it was just a couple of years ago. That listening session precipitated an entire move into SET. I read Steve's email a few weeks ago about the SUPER3HO XRS when they first launched and I was initially excited until I saw the price. Just too rich for my blood. From memory, I believe it is similar to Louis' other Outlaw models, with at least one Alnico driver. I do know Omega people are very active on Audio Circle and there is some great info there. You are a very lucky audiophile!

Additional note about the Mullar GZ32/CV593 - in the recitifer thread it is rated down a ways, but the review is excellent. States it sounds similar to the GEC U52, which is my dream tube! Now I've got to get a Mullard GZ32!

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 02/17/17 at 02:57:31

Will,
Can I ask what your personal favorite rectifiers might include? Looks like I should scoop up some GZ32 tubes. There are Mullards floating around for <$50 and plenty of other brands too like the Mazda and Philips. I may try some.
Can I ask what 7DJ8 you like? I've got a pair of Telefunken I have not listened to yet and also a GEC pinched waist 7DJ8 that I bought from a gentleman in Spain (I've spent way too much money on tubes this lat year). At first I did not care for the GEC in my Decware Taboo amp, but really like it now in my Dennis Had KT88 amp.
Sorry for the massive amount of posting...I just have a few minutes on my hands with the wife and kid asleep...shhhh.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 02/17/17 at 04:01:56

doukhobar,

I did say that I was a little psychotic, didn't I.  Not really.  

I've been at this since 1975. 21 at the time.  I've owned speakers at twice that price and had lengthy exposure to speakers in the 6 figure bracket.  Likewise with systems.  The ones that I owned were all auditioned before I bought only to be unhappy over time.

The conclusion that I came to is that auditioning in anything but your own space over a period of time that allows components to burn in is of little value.  

After awhile you begin to get a sense for what you are happy with. I spent the last 5 plus years testing this by buying preowned components without any auditioning and found that I could do better than auditioning first.  Also by buying preowned I could resell and often break even or in some cases come out ahead.

I am now determined to make this my last series of purchases and focus entirely on music.  After lengthy conversations with Steve and testing I came to the point that I was ready to by new again.

Turned out that I picked up a CSP3 pre owned by coincidence, a new ZDSD, and on Steves recommendation I found HD800's preowned... and the results were better, way better, than the results of anything that I had auditioned prior to purchasing.

That gave me the confidence to buy the final links in the chain prior to auditioning.

Now look at a couple of examples:

Sen. HD800:  New about $1,800.00.  I bought a pristine pair for $700.00.  I could try them in my own space with my components and if I did't like the result I could resell for $800.00.

New Omegas $2,295.00:  Try in my own space. If it's a no go I can return for a restocking of 10% plus freight here and back.  How can I go wrong?  Most audiophiles will loose 50% of the purchase price if they are not happy.
If the Omegas are even close to Steve's informal review, then, IMO they are a bargain.

The Zen Select:  Steve says try it.  If it doesn't work by another Zen amp for the difference and keep listening until the replacement is ready to ship.  Talk about an offer you can't refuse.

This may not work for everyone.  But it certainly has for me and your comments about the Omegas tell me that I probably will not be disappointed.

Thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 02/17/17 at 05:26:18

doukhobar. I forgot to respond to your saying you had Clarity caps in the ERRs. If they are from the last three to four years, I am guessing Clarity SA. It is a pretty nice cap, having a lot of what we want...but a little over blown and affected in detailed texture aspects in the HR1s if I recall, probably contributing to your sense of brightness...I wanted smoother and more refined detail.

Mundorf Supremes, powerful with smooth, and, at least bypassed with Russian K40-Ys PIOs, more warm/big body with plenty of more refined detail after the long burnin.... That is one notable level up to me.

Double the price, and you have Jupiter VTs, ...a friendly and atmospheric cap that is not dark or dense, but warm in a natural way....but not dulled by darkness.... having good speed and refined detail in beautiful space...refined enough not to really sound like "detail" if you know what I mean...just real.

Then double the price again, you have the Jupiter Coppers, at sonicraft's current price anyway. I would love to hear these in my speakers, but just did not want to pay (400 at the time I bought the VTs). As it is as a coupling cap, I imagine this cap would be pretty flawless for tweeters. I love the VTs, guessing they are probably more atmospheric than the Coppers, but can only guess. VT stands for vintage. Based on coupling sound, I would think the Coppers would more-or-less disappear, leaving nothing out, and adding nothing in particular, but doing it in a spacious, natural feeling way.

As to rectifiers and inputs, I would have to think some on that. Seems the "best" is a lot about what else we have in our system/room, but there sure are nicer tubes within that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 02/17/17 at 21:02:47

Regarding rectifiers: years ago Will's comments about them made me seek out "coke bottle shaped" rectifiers and Now I can hardly live without them. They have a finesse that straight-shouldered, big or small, don't seem to in my machines.

For years I have been running what were purported to be 'forties RCA 5V4 bottle shaped RCAs in my Torii and like the porridge Goldilocks decided on I found them just right, with the right balance of warmth and detail and imaging for the other tubes in my amp. But when my latest component, the PS Audio PerfectWave Memory Player, was brand new I just was not getting the tonal balance I was before and I experimented with tubes and found that putting a pair of bottle-shaped Silvania 5U4 rectifiers gave me a return to the sound I wanted. As the component broke in (I don't know why a transport would have such a dramatic break in cycle, but this did) the sound became nicely detailed with an air open midrange and a tight bass. But with a lot of seasoning some recordings seems just a bit clinical and I wondered what I could do. I remembered the RCA 5V4s and put this in in place of the Sylvania. . . and wow, not only is the clinical emphasis defeated but there's more spaciousness and the only trade off is a bit of high end detail and clarity, which has in fact made the sound more "real" to me and less Hi-fi-like. So I haven't used the GZ32 type but it's American cousin the 5V4 is a really good choice for the Torii Mk III.

I don't have access to the capacitors in my HR-1s but those that Bob selected for me seem to be doing a fine job. I have had to go back to the Mundorf Supreme resistors as one of the leads to the Duelund Standard Carbon-Silvers came loose from the resistor due to  near-daily wire unfastening and fastening caused by my need to move the speakers to suit my wife. I have another pair of Duelunds on back order and they should come into stock zoon (I hope). I'm happy with the Mundorf but there's an immediacy that I miss from the Duelund sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 02/25/17 at 21:34:48

Interesting side note I just found my clarity cap capacitors that came with my ERR's and they 3.9's. I thought the whole time they were 3.3, makes more sense why I went with the 3.9 mundorfs. Bought some Jupiter VT 3.3 to compare. At first listen they definitely sound different. Simple music sounds fantastic but more complex and it is really bright. Will burn in and check back in.

JD

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 02/25/17 at 21:44:40

Hey JD,

Never know, the 3.3/3.9 thing may be your friend? Hope they sound good with some burnin. A lot of room for tuning with bypasses too!

The VTs will change a lot...They will richen, becoming more spacious, complex and deeper. Don't forget to try them both directions, with the line toward the speaker ground, and with it toward the hot speaker wire. One way or the other will sound better. Not sure how much the directional effect shows once fully burned in, but a big difference here when new, and after a few weeks. I started with mine backwards, the line toward the hot terminal, and they have stayed that way. But I think this was the more open/detailed way, so you may prefer the other....at least for now.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 02/26/17 at 14:23:26

Thanks for that info Will. I had them "regular" and they were way too bright. "Backwards" or towards the hot are fantastic. They are extremely rich and detailed and not overwhelming at all. Listening to an acoustic fm music program this morning and really enjoying. I did have to cut a prior pair of resistor wires to attach/rig to the end of these to make them fit/connect, they are huge.

JD

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 02/26/17 at 16:22:54

Great to hear they are better backwards! I really like these caps.

The thing Jupiter seems to have over many others is that they actually sound good to start. Then the cooler thing...they get better with time like all the others too, moving into exceptional territory! The natural/warm/smooth conveyance of highly complex detail in space is so amazing once burnt in, it can be heart rending.

Yes they are huge...I had to work a little to get a good connection to the terminals on the HR1s, and support them from below with damping material, being concerned about too much tension on the wires with the weight of the caps!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 02/26/17 at 16:40:49

By the way. I ran the Black Duelund Carbon Cast 3.0 Resistors for weeks, and really did end up appreciating them. I found the same as Joman, they take a while to burn in fully, and once they do, the intensity compared to the 3.0 Standards does calm down some. And there is no doubt to me the Casts sound amazing. I could make them work beautifully if I did not have the Standards to fall back on. At this point, I still find them very impressive, but "too there" ...a little too demanding for my system/room and tastes.

Putting back in the Standards after getting used to the Casts, I was a little non-plussed. I had adjusted the system a bit to integrate the more forceful Casts, so changing back, at first the Standards seemed a little too "not there." But at the same time, I felt a big relief. Finally, to me, the Standards are pretty much neutral and transparent, and the Casts have everything the Standards have, more powerfully/forcefully conveyed.....Good choices to have!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 03/11/17 at 21:44:14

Just a beginning update. I got some 0.33 Jantzen Superiors, and some 0.33 Audyn True Coppers to try as bypasses for the 3.3 Jupiter VTs. You might remember I was beginning to notice things about Mundorfs that did not become clear until the Jupiters were in, but had been bothering me for some time. It seems Mundorf Supremes (including silver/oils) have a compression factor that contributes to signal density in a way that can feel "off" once noticed. At the same time, they sound pretty "right" in logical ways, but if they do not "feel" right, they are not quite right.

That said, I really did liked the Mundorf Silver/oils bypassing the Jupiters, a really good sound for the most part. But the Audyns, in now, though perhaps very slightly "technical," they have beautiful open flow, no sense of compression, just very open, revealing, and balanced free flow. Good copper foil is something to love, beautifully open and revealing with round, rich and complex musicality. Quite beautiful with the Jupiter VTs.

I had burned the True Coppers and Jantzens in on my FryBaby for 125+ hours, and then in the system for another 30-40, so I expect more from them with more time...some more refinement of fine information and smoothing, but would probably be happy with either of these as is. The coppers have been in for the last five days, and they have really grown on me, becoming more and more emotionally involved.

I will try to do a comparison between the these and the Silver/oils in the next several days.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 06/30/17 at 14:06:38

Hello ERR guru friends:

I hope some of you are still around. I realize others of you have moved on...sniff, sniff.

Anyway, I finally purchased the Jupiter 3.3uF copper foil caps. However, I can't seem to figure out how to install them without modifying wiring. They are so much larger than the old caps, and the leads are just about the same length they don't nearly reach the binding posts. How do you guys suggest running the leads to this cap to the binding posts?

I've even included a picture!

rsz_jupiter_cap.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #117 - 06/30/17 at 14:35:27

Wow. That is a pickle. I have an earlier form of ERR and only have two binding posts on the back. . . mine is a different setup and I THINK I could make that work, but don't have the speakers on hand (they're in storage) ....

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 06/30/17 at 14:54:29

Thanks Lon. I know JOMAN did it successfully awhile back. I've attached his picture.

It looks like he epoxied the capacitor to a piece of cork which was cut to the correct dimensions giving clearence to the capacitor and providing enough room to fiddle with the leads. Then he epoxied the cork to the ERR speaker itself.

Also looks like someone, possibly JOMAN used resistor wire to go between the capacitor and binding post. I guess that was simply tested together then shrink wrapped over it. Just my guesses!

jupiter_joman.jpg

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #119 - 06/30/17 at 14:55:24

Solder longer leads on them??

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 06/30/17 at 17:06:32

Yeah...I don't have a soldering gun on me, and was hoping not to have to solder anything, but I guess I could go get a new one if necessary. Any thoughts on the wiring used to extend the leads?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #121 - 06/30/17 at 19:59:38

Do you have any old speaker wire laying around? Cut and strip 6" of old speaker wire and solder to the ends.
Go to your local Home Store and buy a cheap $20 soldering iron kit that comes with the solder.
Twist some of the speaker wire around one or both ends and solder it together.
Soldering isn't too hard, heat the iron up and drop some solder on your joint. Let it cool and tape it up. 10 minutes of work and an experience that will last you a lifetime.
In 6 months you will be producing point to point wired amplifiers and world class speakers.
Here is a soldering primer.
https://home-audio.wonderhowto.com/how-to/solder-speaker-lead-wires-298576/

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 06/30/17 at 20:01:39

Thanks!
I am wondering if old speaker wire is what I should use, considering much of this conversation has centered around differences between 0.68 and 0.82 ohm resistors! I was thinking perhaps some specialty solder and wire was needed? PartsConnexion recommendations welcome!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #123 - 06/30/17 at 20:34:06

I really doubt that 6" of wire is going to screw anything up. Think about the miles of crappy wire between your wall receptacle and the generators. It kind of boggles the mind doesn't it.
I just thought of the newest trick thing to do for your stereo.
The company I work for builds giant generator sets that can power whole towns. I need to put one out back behind my shed and power my stereo with it! Just think, clean, unadulterated power without all of the nasty stuff from being hooked up with everyone else's jusk.
Can I borrow a couple of hundred thou?

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 06/30/17 at 20:36:50

OK. I don't mean any offense, but I don't think that is a useful response. I appreciate the input though. Good day, Sir!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 06/30/17 at 20:58:19

doukhobar,

What I did was cut some extra wire from resistors that I wasn't using and tightly wrapped it around the capacitor ends and attach it to the binding post.
Worked fine for me.

JD

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #126 - 06/30/17 at 21:39:03

Yep, I can come off as a jerk when I'm trying to be funny.
Anyway, I understand what you are trying to do, change the crossover point from 2922 hz to 2423 hz. , that is if you are using a 8 ohm tweeter.
I may be a jerk, but I'm real good with math.

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 07/01/17 at 00:25:24

From my understanding, it is the capacitor value that changes the frequency cut-off. Refer to Will's series of posts above on the subject. The resistor is for attenuation (i.e. a volume control).

IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 07/01/17 at 00:28:34

Thanks JD!

I really gleamed alot out of your back and forth with will. I studied this page for months, basically.

Also, what was your approach to mounting the Jupiter caps to the back baseplate?

FYI I paid $300 for the 3.3uF pair from Sonicraft. Thought that was a reasonable price, as it was lower than other websites and it arrived in 48 hrs.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 07/01/17 at 01:21:57

doukhobar,

With the caps cradled between what are left and right binding post sets with your setup (where the clarity is now), there may be enough wire to hook them up. With Jupiter VT caps here, I was able to gently bend the wire around evenly to fit into the binding post holes.

But your posts are vertical, and if they fit, the caps are heavy...a lot of stress on the wires if mounted that way. My posts are horizontal on my HR-1s, so nestling the cap between the bottom (speaker wire) posts, and the top cap posts...to support them, I set some Herbie's grundgbuster material on top of the bottom posts, carrying a lot of the weight of the caps. If you can figure out a good way to support your caps from below to relieve stress on the wires, and not set up vibration, maybe you could get listening to the caps while you figure out a better solution. Blue tack on the backs might help short term!

Even though my setup worked as described, the wires were a bit difficult being short, so I did end up soldering on a little piece of 20 gauge pure silver wire I had around. I got an OK mechanical connection by bending the wires with little curved ends, so they looked like mini-sheperd's staff tops...hooked the cap wire loop to the silver wire loop, squeezed the loops together until snug, and soldered with silver solder. I wonder if DIY velcro would work on the back of the cap and between your vertical posts.

May want to try them in both directions. The line on the label is meant to go toward best ground, but with the VTs, they sounded better here with the line toward the positive speaker wire. Whatever way they sound good there, the VTs do sound different based on direction.

Smiley

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 11/28/17 at 11:52:25

I posted my review of the ERRx speakers over in the reviews section (see link below).  That said, I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone on this forum.  Your experimentation, observations and insights really helped me along my journey...

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1511836131

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 11/28/17 at 12:14:45

Doukhobar,

Sorry I hadn't responded, never saw the question. I did pretty much what Will did nestling it in between with added wire. I've had the ERR's in the closet for a few months but have been itching to take them out again.
Dave nice write up. I agree that these speakers have a lot of options for sound choices with caps and resistors. For people like me with a lacking of engineering/math skills it can be challenging.
Good advice on the forum

JD

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #132 - 01/17/24 at 18:45:00

So now that my promotional exam is over, I decided to jump back into a project that I held off for way too long.  I pulled out my box of capacitors and resistors that I ordered some time ago, and started to play.  After reading this entire thread a few times, I decided to swap out the stock Xicon 5W 5ohm resistors.  I put in a pair off Duelund 5W 0R75 Tinned Copper/Graphite Resistors.  

I am running these through my Torii MKIV 25th with a fresh pair of GL KT77’s.  I chose to use this amp over my Zens because the one Zen is disassembled and getting ready to go back to Decware for the full upgrades.  The other Zen is already fully upgraded, and since the Err’s need at least 6W of power to open up, running only the Zen would be a limiting factor in my evaluation.  

Ok…. Now onto my initial impressions.  I was almost concerned that my values were not high enough based on Joman’s input. I was not able to find the resistors to get closer to his #2 values of 1.64; whereas I am at 1.5.  I used a bit of museum gel to stick the two resistors together, and hand tied them temporarily wiring them in series.   I’ll eventually cut to size and solder the wires for a more permanent connection.    

I didn’t know what to expect and I was immediately stumped and dumbfounded.  There is an immediate increase in clarity in the high’s of the piano keys, and the saxophone is now more upstage and in front of th stage.  The instruments sound soo much more real, almost scary real.  I feel like I’m listening through a pair of headphones.  Right now I’m playing music from the Eddie Higgins and the Bill Evans Trio.  I want to stay with simple and detailed music to help with critical listening.  I’ll move over to some Classical music and female vocals this afternoon.  

For now….I am just evaluating the resistors and cleaving the Clarity cap in place.  Will and Joman felt this was a good place to start my journey into an area I have no experience, but have been intrigued for the longest time now.   Not sure how long these resistors need to break in and settle down, maybe 50 to 100 hours I’m guessing.  

On hand I have the Miflex 3.3uF KPCU-01 Pap+PP+Oil for the main capacitor, and the Miflex KPCU-01  Pap+PP+Oil in the .47 value as well as the JDM .02uF to be used as my bypass capacitors.  The Miflex caps are huge, so I am going to place them on a tray and solder some pure silver DH labs hook up wire onto them.  There is no way I can mount them onto the back of the speaker safely without causing an issue.  

I soo want to hook up these capacitors now, but I know I need to be a bit patient.  I need for the parts to brake in before I make any changes.  

But as of now this change has made a very favorable change to the sound of my system.  Here’s a few photos to share.

Here’s the Miflex Caps and the Duelund bypass caps.

More to come.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 01/17/24 at 19:05:13

I predict your going to love the Miflex copper in oil. The do tend to leak over time. I think it is caused by heat. Not to worry in your application though.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #134 - 01/17/24 at 19:09:20

Hi John…yes I agree.  My Torii MKIV has the Miflex caps in the amp, so I felt this  would be a great synergy.  

I resubmitted phots just now…I forgot to add the bypass cap.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 01/17/24 at 19:29:04

Dom,

Congratulations getting through your exams!

Those first version tinned copper resistors have become my favorites in recent years. They will refine, but what you are getting is close to what you will get. They will mainly get smoother and be better at more delicate information. You did wire them in series rather than parallel to increase resistance, right... the opposite of caps, where parallel increases capacitance. I suspect you will get notably more change from your new KT77s, the GLs also really good new, but more clearly showing burnin improvements with time than those particular resistors, which are surprisingly good after several days.

The Miflex Copper/oils will likely be quite good at first too, but they are big, and will take longer to resolve fully, and have greater improvements... everything refining. So after you get used to what you are hearing from the Duelund resistors, you may want to get on with the program...

Another interesting way to explore what does what, would be to listen with your new resistors for a little while, then bypass the Clarity caps with your Duelund bypasses... and get them going, also needing more time than the resistors to tell their whole tale, but being smaller, and working only a narrow frequency range, not as much time as the Miflex.

Another way to look at learning what does what, is you could put all your new stuff in and get it burning in, and after a few months, pull the bypasses and see what you hear. Then trade back to the Clarities and see what you here. I have little doubt you will be glad you changed.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #136 - 01/17/24 at 21:30:51

Will,

Thank you!  It was a grueling time for the past 8 months while I was studying and working the overnight shift.  Lot of stress physically and mentally.  

Yes I did wire the resistors in series.  Just to be certain I followed the pic that Joman had posted.   I kept the labels in the same orientation as well just to make sure.  

I’ve been playing my Torii a lot the past few weeks, and probably have close to 75 hours on the new KT77’s. I know they need more time, but I have already heard a difference in them.

I like the idea of adding the little Duelund bypasses to the Clarity cap to get them going.  This will give me time to work on the wooden platforms for those big  Miflex capacitors, and the medium bypass caps.  I’m off for the next two weeks from work, so I plan to do alot of listening and tweaking.  

Good to know that the resistors will pretty much sound the way they do now, just smoothing out over time.  I decided to turn up the volume higher and the highs are more prominent than the stock Xicom resistors.  I know the KT77’s are a contributing factor still newish, so I turn up the ZROCK2 from 1 to the 2 o’clock position,  and was able to get a more coherent blend within the frequency range.  

Right now I’m just streaming in Roon since it allows me to change genres on the fly and experiment between Jazz, Classical, and female singers.  I’ll play with vinyl in the upcoming days.

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #137 - 01/18/24 at 12:13:05

Technical question for those who are knowledgeable and more experience with resistors.

The stock resistor on my Err is a Xicon 5W 5 ohm.

My new resistor is a Duelund Standard Tinned Copper/Graphite 5W 1.5 ohm.  

I know that the resistor is for attenuation, but how does the sound change and what is taking place with keeping the Wattage on the resistor the same, but having a drop in ohms on the resistor value from stock to the aforementioned values that guys are playing with, myself included?  

What I’ve noticed so far in my limited listening time, is that there is an immediate clarity and detail in the instruments.  The treble region is louder by comparison and the horn and keyboard instruments have moved up from center stage to front stage.  Single instruments like the guitar, cello, piano, and saxophone sound like they are right in my living room.  I almost want to say it’s too much of a good thing, but it’s really too early to tell since I haven’t explored complex music, and have yet to do vocals and rock.  

After reading this thread up until now, the consensus was to stay with the 5W resistors, but this is not absolute.  Based on what Joman was hearing, he was at 1.64 ohms on his resistor value.  He indicated that when he went to 1.80 and over 2… it was a no go on the sound with a loss in dynamics.  I am currently at 1.5 ohms on the resistor value.

I know this is a new journey I am playing with, so I’m just trying to get a better understanding on how the values play a part with the change in sound.  I know experimentation is the key, just like tube rolling, so I’m going to be patient.

This thread has been invaluable for me thus far, so I’m looking to further the knowledge base for inquiring minds and for future owners who may want to journey down this interesting and complex path.  

I plan to give ZYGI a call to pick his brain. I have a few old saved email exchanges with him on the this topic, so I’m going to copy and paste them here for documentation.  

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 01/18/24 at 16:37:03

Dom,

Especially with the Brown resistors, both 5 or 10 watt Duelunds are fine. Both work well. The wattage will not effect the attenuation, though more material with the higher wattage likely changes the sound a little. But these particular Duelunds are so transparent I would not worry about that. And really, you have a lot of material with two 5 watts in series now...

The tinned copper awakens upper mid textures and clarity...

Going from 5 Ohm to 1.5 Ohm, with more transparent and revealing resistors, is a big jump.  The ohms numbers effect the attenuation, and more resistance in-line equals more attenuation. So if it is too clear after you get used to it, which it sounds like it is, you need more attenuation, ie more ohms.

Joman's taste could read like yours, but likely different in your system and space. Or as likely, your tastes could be different. And everything effects everything, the caps uses, speaker wires, amps, front ends and so on.

How much more resistance you need is tricky to figure our without testing, but it sounds to me like 2-2.5 Ohms or so might liven things up like you are liking compared to the 5 ohm ceramics, but be closer to your tastes than 1.5, giving you a fare bit more tweeter in the blend than before, yet less than now. Partsconnexion now has only 2- 2.5 Ohm 10 watts left in the brown resistors and if that is what you like... I would probably try to get those.

Another way to get close is to get several low cost ceramic resistors, say between 1.8 and 3, and know that Duelunds will be more clear, but it would put you in the neighborhood of what Duelunds to get.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 01/18/24 at 16:49:34

Also, I can't remember, do your ERs have adjustable tweeters... if so, have you played with a little different angle on them... turning them up a little to make a little more diffuse/less focussed higher frequency sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #140 - 01/18/24 at 17:22:01

Good advice from Will about the ceramic resistors to get "in the range," and adjusting the tweeter "angle."

I use Duelund resistors on my HR-1 with happy results.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #141 - 01/19/24 at 01:31:41

Will,

Thank you for the heads up on the resistors at Parts Connexion.  I did grab the last two Deulund 2.5 ohm in the 10W, as well as two cheap Jantzen ceramic resistors…a 1.8 and a 2 ohm in the 5 watt just to see the difference.  

One thing I did do today that helped was to back off the gain on my ZBIT 2 clicks.  With the Torii I usually run the ZBIT at full blast.   I also began tweaking the ZROCK2 and it helped to balance out the frequency a bit.  

My Err’s do have the pivotal tweeters, and they have been already positioned to accommodate my listening chair.  I do have them on platforms that I built, but I will revisit their positions just to be certain.  

Tomorrow I’m going to add the Duelunds bypass caps to the Clarity caps and work on breaking them in. It will be interesting to hear what that small value does.  

I just pulled a nice piece of Baltic Birch from the garage. Tomorrow I want to cut them down to size to make the platform to house the big capacitors.  I will start to work on them I over the weekend.  I have some rubber damping material that I’m going to use so they are less prone to vibration from being on the floor.  

Also….there is a black line on the capacitor.  According to the manufacturer, they indicate the following….

The line on the label (at the shorter lead-out end) indicates the outer foil. This should be connected to the point of lowest impedance/signal output / AC end.

Any idea on whether that side should be connected to the positive or negative side of the terminal?

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 01/19/24 at 03:32:44

Sounds good Dom. I guess you are talking about 0.47 Miflex relative to the line? I typically think of the lines as toward ground/negative, but with good quality caps like these, I don't hear problems with using them the opposite way. Often the "correct way" will be more warm, and the opposite more open and clear. The Duelunds, the wire nearest the case is like the lined side of the Miflex I believe, the outer winding side. So I would play with them as you burn them in and see which way you like them better, and it may be one, one way, and the other the other, or whatever. These things will really bring up the quality of your Clarities!

The Duelunds added to the Clarity in parallel, will be working up pretty high, thus the name bypass... bringing out more clarity with the JDM copper flavor and without changing the frequency range much... But it will sound like a pretty big change from making the frequencies it works on more clear. This little cap is pretty classy, and not devoted to a big range like your 3.3s, so does what it does better. The .47 Miflex added parallel to the 3.3 will change the value to 3.8, and more capacitor value in this setup will widen the frequency range downward, so it will let the tweeter work lower down. Both will be interesting and enlightening.

Installing either 1st would be intersting... The Miflex mounted hanging down from the Clarity posts, or the Duelunds. If you do put in the MIflex though, having more weight, I would put a piece of Herbie's grungbuster rubber or something similar between the wire and the case, to relax the wire tension... or perhaps better yet, if you have some hot glue, with the wire just slightly curved, not bent, dab some on where the wire meets the case... maybe 1/4" at the base and coning up so that the place the wire meets the case end is not vulnerable to bending too much and weakening with vibration and weight.... good for the temporary setup before our boxes are made. I would use hot glue on the places the wire meets the Duelund resistor cases too. This is a real weak point, the resistor wire pretty fragile.

Anyway... If you add the bypasses first or the Miflex first, and the other a little later, be prepared... Both will likely blow your mind a little.

Lastly, I would test the sound of your rubber on your new speaker bases before fixing it in a permanent way...that is if that is the plan. I find every damping material I use has a sound, working the frequencies differently as well as the amount of damping, and this can be good or bad. You may do better with little squares, or something.... like feet, but I suggest experimenting.

As an example... small 1/2-5/8" square pieces of the thicker Herbies grungebuster sounds a little soft and rubbery to me...dulling. And Soundcoat from partsconnexion, a little hard and incomplete... unbalanced. But sandwiched together in layers, they can be tuned and sound pretty neutral.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #143 - 01/20/24 at 01:19:32

Hey Will…yes I was referring to the black line on the Miflex capacitors, both the 3.3 and the .47

You were pretty much spot on with everything.  I decided to add the Duelund’s to the Clarity Cap as a starting point to work on burning them in.  It has really opened up the sound and added clarity.  The forcefulness of the high region that initially showed itself with adding the resistors is still there just not as edgy.  Sadly I only got a chance to listen for like 15 minutes due to other commitments, but the amp has been running for like 6 hours now.  I’ll give a more detailed report later on.  I didn’t expect the Duelund bypass to have such a profound effect. One thing is for sure…it has transformed the Clarity cap from a from an underdog to a contender.  

I haven’t soldered anything for close to two years, so I was a bit out of practice. But the helping hands and the copper heat sink claws were a necessity.  I added a bit of clear museum gel to the capacitors to help take some strain off the wires leads.  

Question… at what temperature do you solder capacitors at.  This was a first time soldering anything so delicate.  A quick search online said like 600-650 degrees Fahrenheit…so I went with like 625 on my Haikko.  I was using Cardas flux and Cardas silver solder Quad Eutectic.

In the meantime…I cut out the platforms that are going house the big Miflex and the smaller bypass caps.  I’ll work on getting those mounted and then soldered over the weekend.  Those I am going to really take my time  since those are going to be a more permanent fixture.  The crossover boxes will not be made right away.  I’m not entirely sure if I want to build a separate crossover box with wire leads going from the box to the terminals on the speaker; or make new speaker platforms that have an interior shelf to house the capacitor platform.

On a separate note…I now see these Err’s in a whole new light.  I can see the potential for these speakers to really dial in the sound not only to my liking, but more importantly for my room acoustics.  I am already dealing with an imperfect setup with a glass window on the left side at the first reflection point, and an open right side that blends into my kitchen at the other first reflection point….with 14 foot ceilings. I have a mess so to speak.  But…my 2024 summer project is to build portable room panels that I can carry into the break front to close off the living room from the kitchen.  

Anyway…here are a few more pictures of todays journey.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 01/20/24 at 07:05:53

Interesting thread. Dom on soldering, the key is not leaving the iron in contacted too long. To expedite the process tin the hot tip. Place the tip on the cold joint. Then place the cold rolled solder tip between the joint and iron tip. When smoke rises and solder starts to flow remove the iron tip immediately. If it is a large joint it may be necessary to leave the iron on a tad longer to let the solder flow in sufficient quantities to secure the larger area. I've been doing this forever and never toasted a component yet...so far! Never really worried about a heat setting either other then not having enough heat creating a cold joint which is more worrisome IMO.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #145 - 01/20/24 at 13:22:47

John,

Thanks.  I pretty much performed the task as you described.  I first added a dab of flux on both of the bare wire leads with a toothpick.  Then I added the heat sink alligator clips on both sides of the solder joint location.  Iron was pre tinned.  Then I placed the iron onto the wires to heat them up.  After the smoke started to rise, I added the solder.  One mistake I probably did make was that i may have left the iron on the wires a tad longer than necessary.  I had the iron on the joint as I was adding the solder. The last thing I wanted was to have a cold joint.  The alligator clips were fairly warm and capacitors were a bit warm as well.  I’m sure I’m fine but like I mentioned…I never soldered something so delicate.  I normally just solder thicker gauge wires for home or car use.  I then cleaned up the joint with 99% pure alcohol on a q-tip.

This was good practice since the Clarity caps are eventually going to get replaced with the Miflex caps.  I’ll eventually remove the Duelund cap and give that a try with the Miflex caps to see where it takes the sound. One thing for certain…I was very impressed with what the Duelund cap did for the sound…and they are not even broken in yet.  

I have a larger value single resistor coming, so it will be interesting to see where that goes.  Before I solder the two Miflex capacitors together… I think I’m going to take some cheap 16 gauge speaker wire, wind them together, and run some practice sessions.  

It’s cold out here in the North East…so today is a cleanup day, football day, and audio day.  More to come.

Happy Listening

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 01/20/24 at 15:26:56

Hey Dom. Sorry, I did not look closely at your previous pictures and thought the one with the Clarity hooked up to posts was the actual orientation. Now I realize it was on its side.

Since the newer Cardas Eutectic solder, I guess several years ago, it takes less heat than in the past, and I find I need to get off it quicker and lower the temp, it fluxes so easily. I use 650 now, having  used 850, 850 being pretty hot for the old Cardas but good if you were fast, and better for some of the higher silver solders, or for heating more massive materials before adding solder, like IECs, or even binding posts if patient. I rarely used heat drain clips, liking a heat that gets the joint done pretty quickly and getting off fast. But when I have used them directly on the wire being soldered, it has been only on the side that needs protecting.

I should probably use less heat like you are, or even 600. I'll try that. But I do it similarly to how John and you described it, heating the metals, with more heat focussed on the thicker wires or connection, until they will melt the solder. Then I get off it once the solder melts and begins to spread. I rarely use added flux except really delicate things, like some fragile board connections, so can't really comment on that, but It sounds like you are using good, careful technique and it looks from your pics like you got nice joints.

I rarely solder caps with setups like your current one, using a compression connection with the binding posts, or bending the wires some and clipping the bypass wires to the cap wires I am bypassing, making and OK connection for testing. But mine are hanging down, so weight is an ally in those clipped connections. I seem to always be experimenting, and it is nice to save a step of desoldering and clean up.

With your platforms, won't you need to run wires between your platform boxes and binding post plate similarly to how you would with an additional crossover box? Maybe you already checked with Bob for a wiring scheme, but one way would be to use jumpers on the binding post setup, replacing the cap and resistor connections with wire to complete the run there to the post that has internal wiring to the tweeter... In that case I guess your new wires to and from the platform would go from the red speaker post to your resistor and then caps and then back to the bottom resistor post... right?

Or, likely better, wiring from the red speaker cable binding post, to the resistor, then the caps in parallel, then wire to the binding post that is finally wired to the tweeter... my guess, the top left one looking at your ERR post arrangement.

Seems like if you isolate the speakers from the platforms pretty well, and make the platforms solid, perhaps damping/bracing them somehow so that they are not resonators, you might still get pretty nice vibration mitigation for your caps and resistors on a shelf in the platforms.

Fun project!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #147 - 01/20/24 at 19:36:30

Will,

I’m going to try 600 the next time…but 625 wasn’t bad.  I used the heat drain clips just to be on the safe side since this was my first time soldering expensive components.  

I would rather not solder the 3.3 and the .47 for now.  What kind of clips are you using to make the temporary connection to allow you to evaluate the caps?  I remember seeing a pic of your caps with these little clips on them.  Can you send me a link to where you got them from?  

In regards to the platforms…..yes I going to use 18 gauge DH labs silver lead wire to got from the 3.3 caps up to the speaker terminals. I didn’t get a chance to check with Bob yet for a wiring scheme, but I like the idea of using jumpers.

In terms of wiring….I just thought of running one wire lead going from the 3.3 capacitor to the top left terminal on the speaker ( when the current Clarity cap is housed) and then the other wire lead going from 3.3 capacitor with the think black line, to the lower left terminal on the speaker.  

The platforms are solid, made up of 3/4 inch Baltic Birch.  I’m going to place rubber feet in each of the four corners.  I also plan to place small isolation feet on the bottom of the capacitors that are on the platform.  

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 01/20/24 at 20:43:58

Hey Dom. You can't see it because it is behind the binding post plate, but other than the negative speaker binding post, I think all the rest of the posts are in the positive line. The top four posts are there for convenience of changing resistors and caps, and the black on two of those posts is not relevant, your resistor cap setup all functionally on the red side, in-line.

I suspect there is wire inside from the red speaker wire post to the bottom resistor post. Then the resistor connects that post to the top resistor post. Back inside, I suspect there is a wire from the top resistor post to the bottom cap post. Then the cap connects the bottom cap post to the top cap post. And the top cap post has an internal wire going to the plus side of the tweeter..... I hope than makes sense.

The only variable I can think of is if Bob wired the top resistor post to the top cap post, and the bottom cap post to the tweeter. So if wiring your resistor-cap assembly lead-out to the top left post does not wake up the tweeter, just move the new wire to the bottom cap binding post.

The loop would be... one new wire going from the red speaker cable post to the resistor> resistor out to the cap (in series)> cap out (line side) to your other new wire>and that wire to the top left post... where the Clarity is hooked up now...

With this arrangement you would be bypassing the other binding posts, so no need to use jumpers.

They don't have the clips I like best now on Amazon, but these look pretty good to me, appearing to have pretty narrow tips which I prefer, though I am not sure it matters much.

https://www.amazon.com/ULTECHNOVO-Alligator-Crocodile-Stainless-Laboratory/dp/B0...

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #149 - 01/21/24 at 02:04:43

Quote:
I suspect there is wire inside from the red speaker wire post to the bottom resistor post. Then the resistor connects that post to the top resistor post. Back inside, I suspect there is a wire from the top resistor post to the bottom cap post. Then the cap connects the bottom cap post to the top cap post. And the top cap post has an internal wire going to the plus side of the tweeter..... I hope than makes sense.

Yes that does make sense.  I did read it a few times to make sure I was tracking it correctly.  Thanks for the link on the clips…I just ordered  them.  That will definitely work out well once I get the capacitors mounted up to the platforms.  

I’ll hit up Bob to see what he says.  Speaking of Bob….I’m going to attach a couple of emails he sent me years ago in regards to my speakers and capacitor info.  That way others with these speakers can be well informed.

Email #1 From Bob…

Anyway, I've never had the pleasure to listen to any of the Arizona caps. So I can't say one way or the other which way to go.

This past year I've sunk a lot of money into caps for the new version HR's. One thing I can tell you is even though you might think by passing the primary cap you are getting pre top end air, it's not always the case. Sometimes what you are hearing is phase distortion, making it sound like you are getting something your not. While the original plan sounded good at the time,  I would only go with 1 bypass, .01 That way, I believe, the phase shift is so high it isn't heard, but what it does as it rolls in is heard.

I tried .01 Miflex caps in my HR-v2"s. Not because I wanted a by pass cap, but because I figured I'd put some hours on the MiFlex's before I installed them in my Torii. I can hear a difference in the top end air, and spacial cues. Which I wasn't expecting. Whether they stay in, is yet to be determined. Steve added a pair of .01 MyFlex caps in a pair of the bookshelf speakers and liked the results he's hearing.

Speaking to the guy at I believe it was Sonic Craft, he told me the MiFLex Copper foil was one of the hardest caps to listen to for the  first 1000 hours, but after that, he felt they were the Holy Grail.

Hope this helps...
Bob

First off, any reference I made to the value of the cap should be  .10 not .01. sorry if that confused you in any way.

Email #2

Dominick, No worries on the HR's....

I'm not quite sure what you speak of with the Miflex having a shield on one side. I've never seen it, or did I just miss it?

Shouldn't be too terrible of a job, your caps are external, no?

And, yes, the bypass cap should be soldered to the cap they are bypassing. I'm not so sure, i would want to though.

I actually by passed my main caps in my HR's. Not to by necessarily to by pass the cap, but to break in the caps before I installed them in my Torii. Never expecting to hear them at all, I was wrong. You can  hear them.

After speaking with several others in the audio world, they are telling my, what you are hearing is the time smear, or distortion from the different value caps being so far apart. I did pull them out of the speakers.

I'd try the Miflex on there own and then add the Dueland. if it were me.

Email #3

In regards to the black strip on the capacitor, it makes more of a difference with tube amps, but the strip goes towards the amp. With Decware amps, I'd doubt it would matter.

3.9 has been standard since day one, except for a shport time when we used a difference HiVi tweeter. I like that tweeter better in the ERR's but they change it (cosmetically, so they say) and ruined it.

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print