Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 07:21:42 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound? (Read 146274 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: What capacitor should I use to upgrade sound?
Reply #150 - 01/21/24 at 11:48:28

Interesting responses from Bob. The phase shift is problematic in crossovers for mutible drivers in speakers among other inherent issues. My sensitivity to phase shift moved me over to single driver designs.
Like Will, I seldom use heat sinks when soldering. It just creates more area to heat, so takes longer. Save the use of heat sinks for IC joints and special circumstances where something might melt(like plastic) near the joint to be soldered.
Dom, you ain't kidding because it is damn cold with 6" snow on the ground here in the eastern Pittsburgh suburbs. Spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning the driveway. After that it was cleaning LPs then nesting in to a listening session. Kind of look forward to this time of year and happy to know it is only for a short couple of months!
Enjoy the adventure!
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 01/21/24 at 16:02:01

Dom,

I have been considering my experience with bypassing and cap mixing in relation to what I think of as phase shifts and time smearing, and have some thoughts that may take me a while to get together... But thinking about your connections this morning brought up some ideas I wanted to get out.

I have used clips for easily changing small value bypasses mostly. But the main caps in my tweeter cap and resistor setup are always connected by the binding posts, so strong. And on my crossover for the mid driver, is inside the binding post plate, so not as easily accessed, it is all soldered. And really solder joints are pretty easy to do and undo, but it means getting out the iron and doing it. So I started using clips for experimenting with smaller value bypasses, and it sounds pretty good with slightly bent wires clipped, but conceptually not ideal in terms of total sound integrity.

I started using clips when I was comparing quite a number of small bypass caps of the same values, to see what the different caps sounded like, so changing them a lot. But then as I changed them less, more now and then, it turned out I usually have one or two bypasses clipped most of the time to more securely connected bigger caps. And I can totally hear the changes, and don't hear issues. So, out of laziness, I found I could use clips for smaller stuff and have it work, but most connections are strong, either compression or soldered.

Your setup is basically becoming a separate crossover box arrangement, which could easily be a bit more transparent and resolving even with the added wires to get to and from your platform shelf. I don't know that particular wire, but nice silver wires are generally pretty resolving and fast, and from my explorations, those particular binding posts are good sounding, but I was able to improve them notably with a direct UPOCC silver connection instead.

And sorry, I am slow on the uptake on this, but this conversation got me thinking about the crossover boxes I have talked about making with you... lots getting in the way, and my sound really good, all the parts are still stashed away, and still no outside boxes.

But my intent was to reduce vibration with them, taking all the crossover stuff off the speakers and moved away from them a little. But as much or more of the initial attraction was that I wanted to make easy access for caps and resistor and coil experiments. And I wanted pretty quick and easy changeability, but also strong connections. So I picked up some different cheapo compression connector strips to try.

Thinking of your "loop" with two wires and a resistor, and several caps together, that is pretty many connections hooked to floating wire, and it reminded me of this idea you might like, at least for your testing and experimental period without having to necessarily solder most everything. The white and orange ones are my fave conceptually so far, as the holes on both sides go all the way through to the other, so I could cross the wires inside making a wire to wire connection. The black ones are sturdy, but use an internal connection between the two sides, claimed in the writeup to be copper, but I will have to do listening tests to see if that might be real, and how they sound.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #152 - 01/21/24 at 17:17:51

Will,

I like the idea of those white, orange, and black compression connection banks.  It definitely makes it easy to sway out connections on the fly.  Both of the Miflex capacitors were expensive.  I would like to safeguard their condition without soldering them right now until I know that they will be permanent.  I’m sure at least the 3.3 ( and most likely the .47) will be the foundation and stay in long term.  With the Duelund….I’ll have to experiment whether I like them in as a second bypass cap or just stick with the .47 as the primary bypass cap.  

This was just a quick response….I’ll go into more detail later.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 01/21/24 at 21:45:46

Not very good at tracking time, I can't remember how long it has been since I started playing with bypassing and mixing caps, but it has been quite while.

I do know I started bypassing the power supply along with other modifications in my Torii in mid to late 2016 though. And what got me interested in bypassing inside the amps was that I had a lot of small value caps around I had used exploring different cap sounds as bypasses on my HR1 tweeters. I really liked what I heard tuning those tweeters, leading me into trying more resolving and musical base caps and bypass caps over time… What I heard felt like better resolution and timing to me, giving more apparent, smooth and complex decays; more complex textures; more "air;" better leading edges.... lots of good things that to me indicate less smearing rather than more.

I reasoned that since adjusting the tweeters with higher frequency range focussed caps could open up, extend, and articulate the whole speaker sound, what would happen inside the amps.

I did not go deep online, and of course found mixed theories and opinions, often expressed as absolutes.... but there were enough people liking power supply cap bypassing to support my urge to explore. And having a small pile of pretty nice low value caps from speaker explorations, maybe between 0.022 and 0.33, I started experimenting.

As I recall, in the amp, those same caps did even more than tweeter bypasses, clarifying the sound in similar ways, but also resolving speed notably, as well as more complete resolution in more space, and density… all with the flavors of each cap being clear and different. Equally important to me, some bypass combinations and values unified the timing across the spectrum to various degrees, making the bass, mids, and highs feel more "right," more immediate in attack and in leading into decays… and others did not.

Another cool thing, with decent caps, gradually increasing net bypass values in a given position, would increasingly resolve all these traits together. Then, at some point, the speed and density/weight would start to build too much overall, getting too full and dynamic, and not feeling natural. But up to whatever that point was, with the right cap signatures, I could shape warmth and density along with speed and space and resolution.

Pretty cool stuff  that I am still playing with in all my power and audio components, and my speakers... over lots of years, and hundreds of experiments, still finding it (and other related mods) compelling. And though picky and careful with buying, over years, I ended up with a lot of pretty nice caps around... so I am always able to adjust something if I feel the need.

Most caps I have played with are in the lower ranges like 3.3 down to smaller to very small bypasses... 0.022 - 0.001, bypasses for bypassing bypasses. But also base power supply caps, electrolytic and film, and cap mixes to make up those values… as well as mixed caps to make up things like my ±4.8 HR-1+ mid crossover. When I updated my HR-1s with the newer driver and crossover setup, I ended up using a mix of 3.3 with 1.5 plus a smaller bypass on the mid driver, and I have experimented off that basis.

Speaking of Bob Z, when I was first playing with tweeter bypassing, as I remember it, he pointed out that "bypassing" is a weird term for this, nothing truly "bypassed" with parallel caps that have a similar top frequency range. But “bypassing” used commonly by audio heads, I used it without thinking about it.

When I first looked into this, there seemed to be some agreement that 10% or less of the base cap value for a bypass was a safe-ish limit for timing stuff... though I have found, at least how I hear things, that with care and the right choices, I can go greater than 10%. Leading to another semantic thing for me. Where does "bypassing" turn into "mixing" caps.... Perhaps mixing is after the 10% thing??? Not sure, but as an example, the humblehomadehifi guy is into “bypassing,” but also in his extensive cap evaluations, he refers to "mixing" caps he finds compatible in recommended percentages. And as I recall, these percentages can be notably higher than 10%, and I think his cap gig is speaker crossovers mainly.

For me, relative to “phase” and “smearing,” to tell the truth, I enjoy experimenting to see what shows up. So I don’t specifically pay much attention to technical concepts, when I am in an experiment especially, natural and complete seeming sound my guide. And I often find things that are "not true" by many audiophile or engineer established ideologies and beliefs, to be true. So I look and listen to thoughts and beliefs out there, but also like to see what I hear if an experiment seems interesting to me after reasoning through and deciding I would like to see what I can “discover.” ...Often ending up with nice improvements that are not supposed to happen based on established beliefs.

So other than basic information in the background, I enjoy hearing what happens rather than expecting something to happen. And my first indicator for success was, and has remained, clearer and more complex space and resolution and speed, things I associate with less phase/smear issues. I am always listening for everything, but this arena of sound indicates bringing out the fragile, subtler information, and if it was not there, the cap (or whatever) was not helping resolve all that was there on the recording, so it was not used. Finally, I guess that  inadvertently I was evaluating cap experiments with serious consideration to phase/time issues, but not consciously or analytically observing it that way.

Another interesting thing that showed up as I explored, some caps rose to the top as ones I found exceptional, and each had their special traits. And especially for those near the top, but not quite, the differing special traits led to mixing smaller bypasses to try to make the optimal total value out of just-so combinations…different bypass caps and different values... Like a Jupiter HT, to me, can tend a little heavily on the clearer more open side of really nice revelation of space and detail mids to highs, but tends darkish/softish from the bottom into the mids… Yet it is compelling, all together giving that smooth/warm/resolving Jupiter beeswax sweetness. So to balance the Jupiter, I might mix a Miflex Poly/copper (not oil) finding them pretty neutral, resolving, and articulate bottom to top, but a little rigid and technical all on their own. And mixing those two together as power supply bypasses, each makes the other better to me, the balance making a pretty great cap… good spectral, speed, and resolution balances, while helping resolve interrelated speed and clearer space and more fine detail resolution throughout....

That said, I know I may be missing something, maybe not clear on what time smearing and phase distortions sound like... But at this point, though I can certainly imagine less good caps, in less good combinations, could create timing issues, it seems to me that good bypassing is a whole lot about solving timing issues… good cap work bringing up speed and resolution by reducing aspects of the sound that can extend into each other, creating distortions and smearing.. those nasties compounded by the loss of contrasting space they leak into.

But if I am missing or confusing something I really do welcome any clarifications and guidance on this! It is finally about the music, and learning seems perpetual in seeking ways to better enhance the musical experience to me!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 01/22/24 at 10:43:39

Thanks for sharing your experience with bypass caps Will. From my point of view,  bypass caps do not change timing or add smear. The initial insertion of the cap being bypassed causes smear. The bypass cap added in parallel charges/discharges at the same rate. The bypass strengthens higher frequencies by addition, combining certain frequencies easily attracted on the opposing end of the bypass circuit. The certain frequencies combined with the full boat from the initial cap can and does lower the noise floor by upping the strength of the higher frequencies.
Smiley
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #155 - 01/23/24 at 00:12:00

Will….thank you for the detailed information on your experience.  It was inspiring to say the least.  All these years of reading your posts on the fine tuning of your amp and speakers through capacitor changes, now just hit me.  For the first time I have experienced first hand how they can have such a profound change on the sound.  

I remember when you sent me the link to the Humblehifi website….it was great information to help get a better understanding.  Ironically I almost bought the Jupiters HT’s to try.  When my amp was on order Steve had switched to the Mundorf’s as his preferred cap choice at that time.  Due to a supply and quality control issue at the time, he decided to switch over to the Miflex capacitors literally a month before my amp was built.  I felt that if Steve liked them enough to use in his amps, it would be a contender and a good foundation to explore with my speakers.  I then obtained feedback from Bob and got his opinion and felt the same way.  

Seeing what the low value Duelund capacitor
and the resistor have done to the sound of my speakers, makes me now see how different brand capacitors impart their own flavor and sonic signature to the sound much like tubes do.  I actually feel blessed that my speakers have the ability to roll capacitors and resistors to allow me the opportunity to dig deeper into the sound.  For me to explore capacitor rolling being a novice in this area, I think I’m not going  to do any tube rolling right now so I can get somewhat of a grip on what does what.  Don’t want to introduce too many variables at the same time.  

In regards to smear and phase shift…I have not experienced it…or at least not intentionally.  I think I need to try and search up some audio clips that intentionally depict it so I can hear it for myself.  

Just received my alligator clips from Amazon…so I’m hoping I can start getting my Miflex capacitors mounted on the platforms.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 01/23/24 at 20:09:51

Sounds good. But beware, cap explorations can be a real labyrinth. Lucking you are starting with what to me is some of the cream of the crop, for which there are not many that fit in there at semi-reasonable prices anyway. Though Miflex Copper/Oils (KPCU) get pretty costly as they get bigger, smaller values are reasonable, and Duelund's larger values are wildly costly.

I was thinking that I mostly talked last post about bypassing without much reference to actual caps. That list is too long, but I thought maybe I should put it in context with a few more cap examples.

I think it is important to say again that I use a FryBaby to do initial burnin on caps, so I don't experience the sad times of burnin, and in turn, burnin blues do not effect my feeling for a cap as much... With big bodied oil 3.3 Miflex KPALs, it still took quite a while with music to resolve, but with more "standard" Jantzens, Clarities, Mundorfs, etc, 3.3 go pretty fast. And the Miflex KPCUs (and all others I have tried) .33 down, the caps get pretty good in a week or so of pretty intense music play.

Personally, at this point, I would probably not buy the particular HTs I have now, 0.1s. It is a really intersting cap, but ultimately a little off-balance on its own, especially compared to the pretty nice balances of Miflex KPCU, or KFPM (copper without oil).

After HTs, and before I ever heard of Miflex, I went to Jupiter Coppers for coupling caps, also really good but not quite ideal. The coppers are more evenly balanced, smoother, yet still very resolving...more neutral and coherent across the spectrum, though to me a little darkish... and they too have some of that Jupiter beeswax soft bottom. Who knows, I might like the darkish tone if it were faster in those darkish zones. But I am being critical, and they are both nice caps. And the HTs I think have continued to work for me in the blends because of being extra airy and resolving mids-up, in my Torii as coupling caps, and now as "mixers" for power supply bypasses, as well as the originals still being in my CSP3, though now bypassed with Miflex KPCUs.

In 2017, Nick at hificollective in England turned me onto Miflex coppers, the first I had heard of them, and KPCU replacing the Jupiters, I was smitten... really good balances, bottom to top, neutral, warmish, and really nicely resolving of harmonic complexity, especially with little bypasses... They have been my coupling caps since.

I did get 0.082s rather than Steve's standard 0.1s though. I wanted to make the sound a little less forceful, more open and less thickish bass... and that was a really good move for me, both the Miflex, and the 18% reduction in capacitance. Around that time I also started mixing the white KFPM Miflex Coppers into the power supplies.

I should mention here that of all the caps I have tried as coupling caps, I also really like VHAudio Odams. Mine are in the lower .09s, so a little more powerful than the Miflex and less than Steve's, and they sound like that, but nicely so. To me, compared to the 0.082 KPCUs, they have a relatively comparable oil sweetening quality with good resolution and space of a little different flavor... a little more articulate and punchy if I am remembering correctly.

I should have tried them on the tweeters, but I think they are all in use in amps.

I also should say that both the Miflex and VHAudios (well really all of others I have tried also) sound better to me with small bypasses. Whether coupling caps or PS bypasses, or on speakers. Seems I always use a small bypass or two to finish the whole with finer space and detail. In amps especially, cheap 0.01- 0.002 Mallory 150s are really good. I don't like them bigger than 0.01, but 0.01 and under are amazingly easy to integrate for me, making the other caps more complete feeling...

On my tweeters, my current favs are Mundorf silver/gold/oil for a warmer/smoother, but resolving "less there" lift, or Duelund Tinned Copper, for a more pronounced space and detail lift, both 0.01s.

Long lead up to how my Jupiters became available for other uses. Having tried the coppers lots of times as bypasses, they never stay in so far. But the HTs have been in my amp a really long time mixed with others. And I don't just mean mixed in parallel... But different power supply positions do different things in the Torii... filtering different tube and parts paths. So bypassing for different positions is a nice tool...By optimizing the bypass caps by sound, and ending up with some variety to do that, the whole becomes more complex and rich with the right combinations.

A cool thing about mixing caps and bypasses, with speakers, and in amps, you can often introduce the sound of a nicer quality cap in notable ways using lower value, less costly caps, making the base caps better with the right combinations... and once you have a nice foundation, different smaller caps for exploration and fine tuning can be fun, especially nice on speakers where you can easily access the tweeter caps, thanks to Bob, like ours.

I have not tried 0.1 HTs or Coppers in my tweeter setup in a long time and should, as they may work really well with the right company. More, I would be interested to see how the small value Jupiter HT and Coppers bypasses are.... like 0.001, 0.01, and 0.022. Being low values, they would be more top oriented, and guessing that may solve some issues I have with their bigger caps.... and compared to Duelund and some of the Mundorfs in that range, they are not brutally expensive. Some of the other Mundorfs have been catching my eye lately to explore for small bypasses too.

My current setup is a Duelund 0.8 Silver resistor; a 3.3 Jantzen Alumin Z-cap, resolving with nice complexity, smooth, slightly warm, and pretty fast and neutral; then a 0.33 Miflex KPCU, with greater harmonic complexity contributing to its particularly seductive Copper/oil "warmth" ... "richer" than the  Jantzen, but they are pretty complimentary in overall sound in this setup. So the Jantzen is a relatively lower cost but quite nice base cap, and the Miflex makes it better. My high bypasses now are a 0.022 Miflex KPCU with a Mundorf 0.01 silver/gold/oil EVO, or a 0.01 Duelund tinned copper.

These conversations are good for me as they remind me to experiment as all else changes, and I will probably pick up a few more caps to try, and play around with other small bypasses and 0.33s I have, and maybe some 0.22s and 0.1s in the place of 0.33s, not having done that in a long time.

But as usual, this is me, and my setup, and not "rules" by any means... Context is everything... Like in my Torii, where several minor veils have been removed, the white KFPM Miflex copper/polys on their own are a little rigid and technical. Listening to them analytically, it is hard to fault them, doing everything well, and once fully burnt in, really good caps, but more forward and coolish than KFCUs.

Context though.... I have upgraded lots of things in my amp, internal cables and connectors alone making everything else more clear. So the characters of all the other parts become more apparent. Whereas, with "stock" cables and connectors, the white Miflex coppers I can imagine being pretty right... clear enough to "cut through" some slight veils... not the same, but for tone shaping, likely somewhat similar to mixing white Miflex with warmer caps, which I do, the Miflex Oils alone in my amps, too warm/slow for me "en masse."

And I think what you experienced Dom likely fits into this, normally running the ZBIT full open with your Torii. In your setup, full ZBIT punch and clarity perhaps made the amp without the ZBIT seem a little slow, or a little darkish, maybe a little dullish by comparison. Whereas, with your new bypass caps and resistors on your tweeters, your initial experiments turning down the ZBIT and the ZRock2 up, helped balance the hot leaning top some... so the new tweeter things changed things that may have originally seemed more associated with the Torii? 

Similarly, my newish 845 amp runs hot, 845s a big powerful tube. So unless I can get it cooler, I would not try Miflex Copper/oils in it. Though the amp is really nicely resolving, in part from 300B and 845 tubes, it was also a bit warmish/darkish/slowish flavored for me after burnin. So my first modifications were using white Miflex Coppers and Mallorys as bypasses on the decent sounding 0.47 and 0.68 coupling caps, and on some of the power supply caps. The KFPMs were really good in improving the speed and space/detail in this context, giving me a baseline to modify further from where I don't hear the minor issues I had when first exploring the cap in the already partially tuned up Torii.

With well placed, but relatively minor modifications, and careful tubing, the 300B/845 is really close now in spectral balance, speeds, and impressive resolution/open space, while having great warmish lucidity. So I look forward to what it can do by resolving speed and transparency further, with a little luck, to where I don't hear "warmth," "immediacy," "resolution," "space" or "musicality" ... the music coming out fully and with ease and grace.

Associated, rounding back to tweeter setups, for now, I have been preferring a pretty low value 0R8 Duelund resistor (louder tweeter), and the more forward and clear Duelund tinned copper bypasses with this amp... "cutting through" the remaining fullness and "warmth" the amp still has for my tastes with gorgeous finesse.

And talk about cool... when things are relatively close, it is amazing to think that a good adjustment, using a little cap and resistor on a resolving tweeter, can effect the whole spectrum, including leading edges and complexity "in the bass!"

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #157 - 01/24/24 at 19:00:45

I do realize that capacitor exploration is going to be a complex path.  I was tempted to buy a Frybaby to help things along, but couldn’t find a used one.  

The VH Odams sound interesting based on a quick read.  I know that the VH Audio caps in general have a distinct sound and are very good, so it doesn’t surprise me that you like the Odams.  

Having the accessibility to the caps and resistors is a great feature.  I’m surprised that the new ERRx and HRV2’s don’t continue along the same pathway.  

Having both the ZBIT and ZROCK2 have been invaluable with my recent exploration into capacitor and resistor tuning.  And yes…with the ZBIT at full throttle and the lower resistor, the punch it gives makes the amp feel sluggish, slow, and a little dark by comparison when the speakers were stock.  

It’s funny that that you brought up the bass aspect.  I normally rubs a sub crossed over at the point where my Err’s fall off, and normally only run the volume at like 2.  
Now…I have actually shut the sub off for my listening sessions and couldn’t be more pleased for time being.  If I’m going to watch a movie…then I’ll turn the sub back on.

Hoping to get the 3.3 and the .47 mounted up today and hopefully start to give them a listen.  My other resistors should be here within a week, so lots of exploration to do.

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #158 - 01/25/24 at 02:56:54

Finally made some progress with building the platforms.  The feet were hot glued and the rubber is cut up from 1/2 inch rubber recreational tiles.  They are somewhat soft and seems like they will work well for vibration control.  The capacitors were strapped down with zip ties for added safety because I’m afraid of my cleaning lady, the robotic vaccuum, or my 10 pound hypoallergenic dog hitting them and knocking them over.  This is why the crossover boxes are a necessity.  The future build for the crossover boxes are going to make the out of walnut.  While I’d love to take on the project now, I think it’s best to wait until warmer weather.

I had difficulty stripping my 18 gauge pure silver hook up wire to connect the capacitors to the speakers, and as lead wire to clip on the bypass caps.  So I’m going to temporarily use some braided silver/copper 16 gauge Monster wire in its place.  I’m anticipating they will not be as transparent, and potentially color the sound making it a bit darker.  But this is just so I can start to burn them in.  

I need to get better wire strippers to handle the delicate silver wire.  So tomorrow I’ll clip on the bypass caps with the clips that I bought from Will’s recommendation.  I will get them wired up, and start listening.

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #159 - 01/25/24 at 23:56:54

The journey continues….

Eager to get the new caps hooked up, I ordered last night the Klein automatic wire strippers.  They worked like a charm and I was able to strip the DH Labs 18 gauge silver hook up wire with ease.  Due to the one side of the .33 Miflex bypass capacitor being shorter than the other, I was forced to use a piece of Monster  wire to make the connection between the two caps.  To keep things constant, I made the same connection to the other side, even though it wasn’t needed.  So right now I’m using 3 alligator clips per side, with a total of six clips per speaker.  Not ideal and I’m sure that the clips are affecting the sound and transparency, but this is just to get the caps broken in.  I’ll solder everything eventually as a permanent connection.

In terms of the silver lead wires coming off the the speakers to the capacitor platforms, I made equal lengths of two feet.  That way it would give me some leeway with speaker placement without moving the platforms as well.  My final design when the crossover boxes are built should reduce the lead wires down to about 1 foot.  

Now that they are finally hooked up, I experienced some interesting first impressions.  First off…the slight hum I was getting out of my speakers with the old capacitors are now completely gone.  The profound punch I was getting out of the tweeter beforehand with the highs are now toned down, and the edginess is gone.  The mids sound a bit recessed right now, but are not horrible and the music is definitely listenable.  The saxophone sounds a bit hollow, and went from front stage to mid stage.  The bass sounds decent, but a bit flabby at times and not as tight as it was before.  It almost reminds me of when I first got my Torii how the bass was a bit flabby with the new KT66’s.  But the instruments are clear, just not true to life form right now.  Please keep in mind this is only about 15 minutes of playtime.  I know I have a LONG way to go, but I figured I would post this for now.   I’ll post more later on tonight.  

I put a call into Bob because I want to know how the tweeters are wired up to the binding posts, and to also know if they are wired up correctly in reference to the black strip on the capacitor.  Here are a few more pictures of thread new layout.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 01/26/24 at 02:47:19

Dom,

You have a lot going on different. And if you have tweeter sound, which I guess you do, the silver wires hooked up to your old cap posts with new caps in between... you are good... but those posts may be wired the reverse of my first guess. If the top left post is wired to the tweeter inside, looks like you have the lines on the Miflex wired toward the plus speaker wire. In my experience, this will give a cleaner and more open cap sound.

Whereas, if the top left posts are reversed from my 1st guess, and the bottom one is wired to the tweeter, I think you are wired for a warmer sound from the Miflex. You could just trade those wires on the top left posts and hear the difference to see... while giving you a real sound choice for now.

Also, you have not only added a lot with your new caps... lots more material that is not burned in. But also you eliminated the Duelund bypass, and you recall what that did for you before. You could clip the Duelunds onto your caps setup and clean things up some, likely making burnin more fun. If you like this better, you could then pull the Duelunds to evaluate with and without sometime later.

Also, you could skip the resistors for now. By "turning up" the tweeter, it might mitigate the deadening from the green caps, and you might find this a better sound for burnin. To arrive at my 0R8 resistors, I had been running I think maybe 1R5s or 2R0, and wanting a little more clarity, 1st I tested a straight silver wire in the place of the resistors... so no resistor. I let that settle a while to adjust, and finally finding it a bit hot, I ended up in between, with a 0R8.

But if you try this, rather than a wire in the place of the resistors, I would just take the resistors off, and wire the lower silver cap lead... the one coming from the line side of your Miflex, to the plus speaker wire post... This would wire the cap setup directly between the speaker wire and the tweeter wire post. It would be the same progression, but it would bypass some posts and wires on the binding post plate... even less in the way of the sound.

And if that makes the tweeter turn off, you know the top left posts are opposite of my guess before... the bottom one wired to the tweeter internally rather than the top one.

Anyway, way to go getting this far, and have fun playing!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #161 - 01/26/24 at 13:43:56

Will,

I had a great conversation with Bob last night.  He indicated that the stripe on the Miflex capacitor is really used as an indicator in power supply applications.  In regards to speakers, it’s not as critical but one way will give a warmer sound and reversed will give a cleaner sound with enhanced clarity, as you previously indicated.  We talked about the internal wiring of the speaker, and then we digressed and got off topic.  I’ll circle back with him to get the diagram of the wiring.

I’m going to remove the Duelund’s today from the Clarity cap, and wire them up unto the Miflex caps, to hear what happenes.  We talked about bypassing caps, and he suggested to keep my current setup the way it is now, and to the pull the .47 to hear whether sound.  He reiterated that guys in his audio circle, and also based on his evaluations, that bypassing speaker caps would more than likely introduce smear and phase distortion.  I think I need to find an audio clip comparison so I can understand it better.  I am still going to play with cap bypassing so I can better understand for myself what is going on.  

My old Pinnacle Speakers have caps inside them as well.  That is eventually going to be my next experiment, because I liked how those speakers sounded back in the day.  They had nice highs, very good bass for the size, but the mids were pretty much  non existent and what you heard was off.  It was a good party speaker, but not even close to being audiophile quality.  I think I can make them better.  

I like to switch between my Torii and Zens, with the Err’s and the Pinnacles.  

After a quick search…I found a good article about an audiophile who experienced these speakers. Here is the article….

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/30084-pinnacle-pn5-spea...

Ironically enough….my wife’s coworker’s father owned the company.  I plan to one day meet up with him to talk about his speakers, and to pick his brain on the design of the speakers.  Much more to come.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 01/26/24 at 14:29:37

Hey Dom. I can imagine the potential for phase issues, especially with "mixing" or larger "bypasses." But I have always gone by what I hear and some caps don't sound good together, but I did not evaluate why... just moved on. And I may not be listening for the right things. When Bob talks about his own evaluations, that would suggest he is listening too I imagine. I wonder, if you get back up with him, if you would ask him what phase distortion and time smearing sound like to him?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #163 - 01/26/24 at 16:41:02

Will,

I just texted Bob and asked if he could post something here under this topic, to go into further explanation of phase distortion and time smearing.  I had suggested an audio or video clip comparison so that way we could better understand the concept.  It would be a huge help, especially when I eventually start to mess with my Pinnacle bookshelf speakers.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 01/26/24 at 17:02:25

Sounds good. I have not looked at this in quite a while online, so I just glanced around and found the same labyrinth that mired me down previously. Another audio "debate" topic as to how this happens, to what degrees, and how audible these things are. I am also guessing it can be quite variable depending on parts and crossover designs, speaker designs, rooms, etc., perhaps contributing to the "debate."  I will spend more time with it when I get a chance.

This is in part why I fall back to what I hear, a "language" I can understand and believe. So I would love to hear what Bob hears. He has talked with me in the past about phase concerns with changing values and bypasses, so wondering about his thoughts now, some years later, as well as what he listens for... if he is up for it and has some time.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #165 - 01/27/24 at 00:52:13

I completely agree Will.  I would really like to know what he hears and what he’s listening for.  I know what the .02 Duelund did to the Clarity cap, and I was surprised.  I’m going to work on installing the Duelund’s  in with the Miflex caps over the weekend.

What I can say that even with a short amount of burn in today, I am starting to pick up subtle changes.  I had Bocelli playing today on songs I’m familiar with, and I’m starting to hear the nice decay’s that I’m accustomed to.  Instruments are a bit more natural and don’t sound as “ digital” as they were yesterday.  

Odd ball question…does the volume level play a role in the burning in the caps?  

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #166 - 01/27/24 at 03:42:57

Will,

Just got this text from Bob ….

I doubt any recording tools I would have would even show the difference.
Like I said, it sounds like you’re getting a little bit more on the very top end. Higher extending highs, and it’s that more that is actually the distortion. There are times, I still think it’s better, but those that can measure way better than I have convinced me it’s bad!

Question is, just how bad is it, and do you like it, and can live with it. Everything is a compromise at best!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 01/27/24 at 13:07:08

Quote:
There are times, I still think it’s better, but those that can measure way better than I have convinced me it’s bad!

Stay with your hearing Bob! Those measurement folk have a keen sense of eyesight but poor hearing from my experence.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 01/27/24 at 15:22:47

Dom, Having the Frybaby, I don't have experience doing big speaker caps without. But once I put them into the system, I figure burning in caps optimally is probably playing them more or less as usual, "exercising" the caps with various loudness levels, and a lot of play. I don't know how effective it is, but for accelerating the process, I seem to remember the idea that even very quiet levels, barely on (like overnight), will keep things going... and if using this method, combined with a lot of regular play... leave the music off for a couple hours once or twice every 24 to let the caps settle. Something like that makes some sense to me.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #169 - 01/28/24 at 14:22:28

Will….I think I may have to grab an old receiver to assist with burning in the caps.  Right now I’m using my tube amps, and would rather not leave them on when I’m not home.  When my Torii is on, I go from playing music to watching live TV, so it’s definitely getting a wide variety of playtime.  Today I’m going to add the Duelund’s into the mix, so I’m looking forward to hear the change.  

Lots of fun stuff going on….Today I’m going to take apart my Pinnacle speakers to see the crossover network inside.   My white Zen SE84C+ is getting boxed up today to go back to the mothership for the full upgrades and warranty transfer.  Still waiting for the shipment from Parts Connexion and the bigger resistors…so I’m eager to try them out.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 01/28/24 at 14:47:17

I thought I remembered you had a solid state amp still. That will make the first several hundred hours burnin go a lot faster I hope. Nice you are able to get to a lot of these things you have been thinking about. I am doing similar...digging in on a bunch of things, and it feels good!

I look forward to coming impressions.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #171 - 01/28/24 at 18:49:58

I still do have a solid state amplifier in my basement on the network rack.  It’s hooked up to my 7.1 surround sound system in the living room, as well as my outdoor speakers.  Dismantling that is more of a headache than it’s worth.  I would rather buy a used and cheap amp on eBay or at a garage sale to serve the purpose.  I actually t still need to buy another amp to handle the kitchen and dining room speakers anyway, so I need to think about what I want to do.  

The Duelund’s are now mounted up but right now I’m not doing any critical listening due to house work.    But I’m noticing a nice clarity in the highs, but it seems like the mids may have changed as well, not sure for better or worse.  Critical listening probably wont happen until tomorrow.  Going to watch the football games today though the Torii, so at least I’ll get some on nice run in time.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 01/28/24 at 20:40:31

I think you will hear the duelunds lower than the mids. That touch of increased clarity in a really narrow bandwidth contributes to what we hear in most areas of what we tend to relate to as other parts of the balance, that is, if the system is relatively resolving and balanced to begin with.

I was working with a freind on a low cost but quite good sounding system and we tested some of the stuff here. Not sure how far you want to go, but we got lucky with the following.

S.M.S.L A300 HiFi Power Amplifier

Douk Audio HiFi Vacuum Tube 7-Band EQ Preamp Equalizer XLR Pre-Amplifier Home (T8 PRO)

We tested these without my CSP3, or ZRock2, but using my frontend (including ZBIT), cables and speakers/room. We did some relatively low key EQ adjustments with both components to make it sound "right" in my room, and it was pretty amazing... a bit haywire on a few early digital remasters tending to super clarity, but on almost all things we listened to, it was pretty amazing... with really good balances and resolution, great soundstage...

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #173 - 01/28/24 at 22:04:52

Thanks for the recommendation.  The SMSL looks like a nice unit and a good possibility for what I’m looking to accomplish.  

Another quick question…in regards to the hook up wire that goes from the capacitors to the speakers.  I thought I was running pure silver wire, but I was wrong.  It’s 20 gauge silver coated continuous crystal copper wire.

https://silversonic.com/products/hookup-wire/ofh-20/

Would you say that this wire is too thin?   I was considering swapping it out for the 14 gauge wire…

https://silversonic.com/products/hookup-wire/ofh-14/

Also…I need to extend the leads going from the .47 bypass to the 3.3 cap.  I think the wire on both caps is like 16 gauge.  Would this be a better place to use pure silver wire, or stick with the silver coated copper wire, and if so….what gauge would you use…..would you go bigger or smaller?  Here is the DH labs hook up wire page..

https://silversonic.com/products/hookup-wire/

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 01/29/24 at 00:54:54

Yes, with the tube Douk pre, that amp was nice... I can't remember it without as we liked it right away better with that little tube pre. Both to me sounded like the designers were listeners too.

Hard to say on the wires without comparing, but I suspect you are just fine as is.

I have had mixed results with "pure silver" and with "good copper" with "pure silver" coating. But UPOCC, though variable, perhaps as much depending on different teflon variants in dielectric as anything, is a very resolving and fast wire in my experience. With it, copper, silver, or silver plated copper all sound different and have different speeds, warmth, etc.... also the silver plate parameters are different, and solid or stranded, etc... all these effect sound... But the UPOCC I have tried are all good comparatively, regardless of the type of wire.

Your wire sounds like it is DHLab's name for UPOCC copper and when they talk about their pure silver wire, they say it is ultra pure, and they also pay attention to smoothing the surface somehow.... so I guess they are both techy and listening.... making me imagine your wire is quite good without listening to it. The only DHLabs things I have tried are their RCAs, and I found them pretty impressive, quite neutral, transparent and resolving.

I am guessing Bob may have used ±16 gauge wire throughout inside your speakers, but what you have is likely more resolving than what he used (at least the wires I have seen in my HR-1s and MG944s), and if so, I think a smaller gauge of more resolving wire, can compensate some for smaller gauge, and especially on a tweeter, can work quite well. It has been a while, so not positive on the gauge, but I am pretty sure I have 20 gauge Neotech flat (rectangular wire) UPOCC copper/teflon from the speaker cable to tweeters inside, and I liked it quite a bit more than 16/15 gauge tinned copper Supra wire that Bob used at the time I upgraded my HR-1s. The Neotech to me was quite a bit more resolving and fast, and I preferred that. But I changed all my internal wires to be faster and more resolving... which matters... how they match in sound. The Supra wire throughout was more slow/full/rich... more euphonic. Nice, but a bit much for my needs.

And part of that, gauge does matter. All else the same wire, the bigger the gauge, the more powerful and fuller the sound, to a point of thickness/slowness on the too big side, and thinness on the too small gauge side.

Anyway, since we are talking about the tweeter, a narrow frequency range comparatively, I can imagine you are just fine with that shortish run of 20 gauge single crystal copper and silver coated wire. No way to know for sure if you would benefit toward whatever you prefer unless you try something else, but I suspect the wire you have is good. 14 gauge, the next size up of the same wire quality, is a lot more wire... so hard to say.

For the 0.47 cap, I guess it may be a little less than 16 gauge technically, the twist having some space compared to stranded or solid copper. And the DHLabs, though smaller gauge, it is probably nicer wire in all ways, so if you have some left, or cut a little off your cap-speaker leads to lengthen the 0.47 lead, it would probably work quite well. I use uninsulated 20 gauge UPOCC silver, or soft annealed 4-9s silver for caps because it sounds best to me, and because I have it, but for this short addition, that wire should work well... Direct comparisons would show smallish differences, but I would not worry about it at this point. And who knows, you might prefer the wire you have in this case. Stranded silver plated copper tends to be a little more bright and "sparkly" sounding than generally smoother and very resolving solid UPOCC silver.... And the bird in hand sort of thing, especially since that DHLabs wire sounds like it is pretty nice wire.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 01/29/24 at 13:02:58

Quote:
Yes, with the tube Douk pre

Almost got me pulling the trigger on this for adjusting the volume and eq in the family room. Stop short because the AKSA has a tube buffer in it that needs to be wired back in and the realisation that once dialed in the separate volume controls will not need adjusted.

Maybe DD will see this because he was talking about making a tube eq. Can't beat the price and your endorsement!

Thanks  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 01/29/24 at 14:42:59

John, Remember we tried the Douk with the chip amp, and were impressed with the sound together, for what they cost especially, value a criteria, and ruling out Decware and other popular "audiophile" things. It was fast and furious, finding and trying stuff in a tight frame of time, but bought on Amazon, didn't seem like a big risk. As I recall, the stuff green, neither the internal amp EQ, or the Douk EQ seemed truly great for larger adjustments, especially for the first several days. I recall the amp EQ as very clean, and pre rounder/warmer. Together with smaller Qs in each, it seemed quite useful, but we did not do critical tests on each individually.

We did try a lot of tubes in the Douk, and ended up liking the 6N1Ps that came with it, or different 6N1Ps I had here, overall "the best" considering all balances and across recordings. Also, if interested, I think you can use two sources with the Douk we had, but I think they are separate circuits... the balanced side one, and the RCA side the other... if serious about trying it, I would look around on Utube, but I don't think my friend was able to go in RCA and out balanced for visa versa. He went from some now vintage (I think Japanese) receiver I can't recall, and was able to get sold for 1000, and he loves his new system with decent cables and all running his old ADS 1090 towers. He is a life-long musician just moving into more refined audio with entrancing sound stage, etc.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 01/30/24 at 11:29:36

Will, thanks for the detail of your experience with the Douk. I am going to do without it for now. I do not want to get over my head with projects at this time when there are ways to maneuver with what is on hand.

The AKSA's tube buffer was disconnected because it was not needed when being used as a sub amp. I also used the filament voltage from the buffer to drive the eq/crossover boards for sub use. The family room system (really need to give it a name!) sounds quite good for its intended purpose of playing classical music. I have not played any other type of music on it yet but suspect it may fall short on some. The speakers are against the wall so imaging will surely suffer. For assemblies in large halls, the venue can be detected and the orchestra spread is wonderful. Detail is good. There is absolutely no distortion. With the sub, it plays softest passages with delicacy as well as powerful climax with authority. I am very impressed of the assembly at this time and want to put the tube pre back in to see what that adds. I do remember it added some hum. The Jordan speakers used in the past had an efficiency of 84db, if recalling correctly, so not much of an issue in the Chariot.

The KenSue speakers being used in the family room, to get back on subject, have the crossovers buried in sand within the tube pedestal base.......

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #178 - 01/30/24 at 22:55:42

Will..thanks for you input on the DH labs wire.  I did remove some wire going to my capacitor posts from the platforms, and rewired the bypass caps with the DH labs wire.  Definitely a good call.  

Totally makes sense that the tweeter hookup wire would be a smaller gauge since it’s handling a more narrow frequency in comparison to the main driver.  

Unfortunately didn’t get a chance to do any critical listening yet.  I’m hoping to get time tomorrow.  Tonight I’m going to take apart the Pinnacle speakers to see what inside, and how I want to proceed with replacing the crossover network.  I’ll post more tomorrow.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 01/31/24 at 18:39:22

Yes, wires size and qualities definitely effect the sound, the old idea that bigger is better too general. For ICs, internal wires and cables, speaker and power cables, seems to me too big concentrates the sound too much.... reducing mid and high resolution by packing the information up to tightly, making it hard mids up, while making the lower end darker/slower, thicker. And too small, lean. I remember being blown away with the NOS WE 16 gauge speaker cable excitement. I liked the upper mid texture and live feel, but in my setup, it was way lean mids down... made me think all the folks who loved it, did in part, because it toned down excess bass in the balances of their system/rooms. I have never made (or bought) a cable (or wires in amps) of any kind where the gauge did not matter in notable ways to the sound balances in my tube gear.

Also since we have been looking at bypass ideology and perception so much... I have alluded to it a lot, how different caps sound different, and a given value is only part of the sound... but clearly, how the cap is made and performs effects how well it works, including how well it works with others.

I have been opening up my CSP3 sound lately, a little at a time, finally getting over how it balanced a little warm/full. It was all good with the right tubes, but a little on the warm side for me overall. Then I got some Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes to try, and just like slightly too big power cables can push the sound darker/fuller/ thicker... the SDFB with gold plate sluggos did this some to my delicate balances. It was less so with copper sluggos, the overall balances convincing with copper, but even the copper pressed the amps into this dark/thick/slow thing just enough in my setup to cause me to finally try some things I had been thinking about anyway in the CSP3...

1st I tried some film caps of the same stock value as the electrolytic caps in the power supply, and that helped, speeding it up and pulling more complexity. But finally I went with lowering the power supply cap value from 47 to 40 using Jenson "for Audio" electrolytics I had used in my Torii for quite a while. And that, with the bypasses I had in place previously, was a little lean... So I added some 1.5 uF Mundorf Aluminum/Oil Evos I had around, to up the value of the PS caps with the clean sound of those particular aluminum foil caps. Already having a nice blend of smaller value bypasses, 0.1, 0.022 Miflex copper and copper oils, and very small Mallory 150 bypasses, these improved the electros, and on their own, sort of so-so Evo Oils. Pretty beautiful... nicely open while remaining musically warm without damping great resolution, having really nice bass hit and textures... the gorgeous harmonic complexity tending to spread throughout.

Pointing to... overall values, and those of the individual caps, and how they are proportioned and positioned, is big time. But as much, how each cap sound can help or hinder the rest differently.

Leading me back to speakers and tweeter caps in particular. With the more resolving, fast and open CSP3, on some notes of some recordings I started to notice the mid/highs were leaning toward a little concentrated. Most were really good, but things like Shakuhachi Flutes, or solo violins, or some notes on some earlier sax and trumpet recordings, were tending to too intense on some of the stronger notes.

I remembered Duelund bypasses on my tweeters contributing to this effect in the past. And though I have been enjoying their most textural and complex sounding tinned copper 0.01 when my system is running warmer/fuller... now with the CSP3 more open and resolving, what I have never loved about Duelund bypasses in the past showed up again...

It is hard to describe for me, but I would say it is a "made, not born" sound, and if the system/room is transparent enough to show it clearly, it is a little too intellectual in how they are tuned... To me... tuned to be exceptionally noticeable for a very small cap, and in this, bringing out clarity with a nice articulate, warm and smooth finesse ... but in my system, they can show as contrived and concentrated.... So though I keep trying them, I have not been able to keep in most Duelund bypasses I have, and the one I do use for spells, the tinned copper, is touch and go depending on all else...

This morning, Duelund tinned coppers in place, playing some Shakuhachi recordings, typically I can tone hot note recordings down nicely by reducing pre stage gains a bit. But a few notes still got a little too concentrated for me. So first I pulled the Duelunds, leaving Jantzen Alumin-Z 3.3s, Miflex Copper/Oil 0.33s, and Miflex Copper Oil 0.022s. Definitely better, but it was less alive overall.... I was missing some of the very fine detail I love.

So I added 0.01 Mundorf Silver/gold/oil Evos I have mentioned before where the same value Duelund bypasss had been.... Less obvious, warmish, and very resolving in this particular iteration of my setup, they sweetened the sound by de-concentrating what were over-concentrated notes with the Duelunds. From awakening very fine detail in space, they allow more harmonic complexity in the most beautiful way I have heard it here.... right now anyway, concentration replaced by seductive complexity.

Not that this would be just right somewhere else necessarily...  it all depending on lots of things as to which caps and resistors help each other optimally in a given tweeter setup and system/room.

But this led me to thinking that deciding whether bypasses are good or bad is clearly effected by whatever they are, value mixes... how each cap sound/speed qualities mix with the others... But equally, how that all fits in a given system/room.

For example, if a system is bass oriented in its balances, tending it toward full/thick mid-bass down, and warm/dark/full enough to fill in clear resolution mids up... Depending on how we look at it, it could sound "balanced" within this balance.  

Then, by using really nice base caps and bypasses on the tweeter to awaken the finer information.... depending on all else, this could fix the mids-up nicely, but make the whole feel off-balance. If the bottom is so concentrated and full that higher information can mainly clarify and add complexity to the mids up, while being unable to infiltrate a full/thick bottom enough to balance it with the mids up, the mids-up could sound too separate and hot. Off-balanced spectrally, but also in speed and clarity, in this setting, bypassing could be thought of as "bad." Whereas, if the bottom were a bit more open and resolved, matching the mids up better, the same caps on the tweeter could potentially be really good, bringing out leading edges and textures of the bass and mid-bass. But without the bottom coming along for the ride, this could make nicer caps and bypassing questionable...  

Or the other way... if the system/room is balanced toward finer information and/or lacking bass and warmth, some bypass arrangements could make it all too clear.

OR... like here in my room today. I am always experimenting and refining balances, carefully tuned in all ways I can hear and work with. And for the most part, tweeters sounded great with the two Miflex added to, and bypassing, the base Jantzen cap, and the Duelund bypasses on top...

But in this particular phase of the system refinement, the little Mundorf silver/gold/oil EVOs in the place of the Duelunds took it all to another level... some beautiful icing on the cake. They allowed yet another layer of refined resolution my system now has to shine. And this in turn made a Mundorf cap that was usually pretty subtle, but I always liked in this position, show quite a bit more of its potential.

So finally, it all goes back to exploration and refinement of balances for the most awakening musical experience here. And everything effects everything.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #180 - 01/31/24 at 21:47:32

Well one thing is for certain, my room is not really treated minus a rug on the floor.  With the left side first reflection point being a glass window, and the right side first reflection point being an open Archway that segues into my kitchen, I unfortunately am dealing with an uphill battle.  My long-term plan is to build portable stand alone diffuser panels to seal off The living room from the kitchen for when I want to do critical listening. Eventually we will put nicer drapes up to cover the glass window on the left-hand side.  

I had met up with Kamran yesterday for lunch and we talked a lot about room acoustics.  In the upcoming months we plan to have listening sessions at each other’s houses to hear the differences in our system as well as our rooms. His room is heavily treated unlike mine.  Luckily my speakers are very forgiving with the radial sound, and are a great match for my room due to  lack of room treatment.

So today I am noticing more fullness in the lower bass region.  Not necessarily fat….but more harmonically correct when the piano and the bass are playing simultaneously notes. The past few days I’ve been pushing the Torii pretty hard with watching action movies, watching the Mission Impossible films.  I’ve been off from work this week, so the caps have been getting a nice workout.

Now…..on to a new task at hand where I could definitely use some guidance.  Pulled apart my Pinnalce and got to the crossover network.  Below are a few pictures of the internal PN6 speakers.  

So…where to start.  Besides dealing with crossover board, there is the copper winding.  The one pic is self explanatory.  The black and red on the left side go to the speaker terminals, the yellow and black wires go to tweeter, and the blue and black wires go to the main driver.  

This task is more than just swapping out caps and resistors.  It’s hard to determine how the copper winding is connected to the network.  I’m cool it’s building a new board, and replacing the caps and resistors, but how does the copper winding come into play?  I sure measurements are taken when this crossover was built.  I am working on getting in contact with One of the owners of the company through my wife’s coworker, but since the company is no longer in existence,  it just makes it more difficult.  

Desoldering the board is no big deal, but I could use some help with how to connect and integrate the copper winding to the rest of the network.  

Here’s are pics …

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 02/01/24 at 01:22:17

Dom, Not very experienced with circuit boards, other than replacing some parts, and traces usually not reading as easily as point to point, but here is what I am thinking.

The 4 MFD cap seems likely to be on the tweeter, limitting its ability to go below a certain frequency like the caps you are using on your ERRs. I gather that MFD can mean millifarad, but that some caps marked MFD are actually microfarad or uF. In this case, since 4 Millifarad would be 4000 microfarad, I'm guessing it is the latter, or 4 uF, where your big Miflex are 3.3 uF. So this cap is likely 4 uF, but you could verify when you pull it measuring it with a multimeter that measures capacitance.

If you want to keep the circuit board, and just upgrade parts to make it simpler, most nice 3.9 film caps and a 0.1 bypass would take a lot of space, though some might work. Like maybe a Jantzen Superior-Z, or maybe and Alumin-Z mounted so it hangs off the board some... you would have to get measurements to verify, but they might work and sound pretty good. If those did not work, not sure what all is out there, but Solen makes various small build 3.9 film caps that might be pretty good too, but the only ones I have experience with in crossovers were their cheaper MKP caps and though nice for the money, I personally preferred other makes. So I can't really advise you there, except to do some research, and maybe check out some of the higher end Solens that are pretty small as well.

Like maybe https://partsconnexion.com/collections/solen-capacitor-collection/products/solen...
-capacitor-3-9uf-150vdc-sb-series

or https://partsconnexion.com/collections/solen-capacitor-collection/products/solen...
-capacitor-3-9uf-700vdc-agm-silver

or https://partsconnexion.com/collections/solen-capacitor-collection/products/solen...
-capacitor-3-90uf-630vdc-ppe-series

I have a hard time figuring out boards by looking at them, but am guessing the coil does the opposite of the cap on the tweeter, rolling the top woofer frequencies off in the frequency area the tweeter takes over.

Also imagining... one resistor might be associated with the tweeter like on the ERRs, and maybe one associated with the woofer? I am no expert by any means, but boards can be layered, and the obvious trace lines may not tell the story. Like you can't see in these images that the solder connections connect to the traces, but they must right? If you took everything off and put a strong light behind the board, you might be able to discern the paths.... But if you don't want to make a new point to point crossover plate, and just want to upgrade some parts and wires, you could just copy what is there using the same connections.

From the pictures it is a little tricky for my mind to associate the parts with soldering point on the bottom. But as you have it pictured looking at the board bottom, you can see the red input wire on the top left of the board... so double check me, but I think that run of 6 connections left to right would be -- top left = in+, then in-, T+, T- , and W+,W- on the far right.

Then that 1st connection down from the top left, left of the trace line, is probably the hot side of the coil. And the first connection down from the far right side top, below W-, would likely be the other side of the coil.

On the far left a bit over half down, the vertically close together pair that cross a horizontal trace, these are likely the cap.

And below those, on the left are likely the hot side resistor connections. And to their right, on the far right side of the board, the other side of the resistor connections.

Can you see anywhere on the coil value? I looks like an iron core inductor from the pics, and changing that could improve the sound. But you would have to figure out the value and see if you can fit an alternative in at a acceptable cost.

If you like the balances, and want to make them more fast, resolving and lively... using higher quality of the same values, including nicer wires and binding posts, could be pretty transformative. And if you wanted to upgrade the posts, maybe make an internal MDF or Plywood plate the posts are connected to (?) then solder all the connections. On the boards, if it made it easier having only one part's connections to think about at a time, seems you could change out parts in a progression, removing and replacing one before the next. Or do one board at a time.

Anyway, seems you could go for everything, or some parts and not others to begin with, especially if the board is easy to get out and in.

I don't know... just thinking out loud. But it seems you like these speakers, and that likely means they are using drivers you like and a design you like... so your thought of putting better parts before the drivers potentially being pretty nice makes sense to me.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 02/01/24 at 02:48:42

I meant to add that this looks like a simple crossover, and it may even have values marked under the parts and maybe even the paths will show more. Related, if you wanted to make a point to point replacement, you could figure out the signal paths using continuity tests, another process.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #183 - 02/02/24 at 03:09:54

Will,

Yes I do like these speakers.  Back in the 90’s they were considered very good speakers at that time costing like $600.  

Thanks for the recommended caps, I did some reading on the Jantzen’s and the Solen’s.  I then went on some forums that talked about upgrading my speakers. I cross referenced the humble hi page again, and then dug deep on other forums.  

So I ultimately landed on the Jantzen 3.9 Superior Z-Cap for the main cap.  After some reading the product description of numerous other caps, I decided to go with the Audyn True Copper .1 bypass caps.  I found numerous reviews from guys with tube amps, who felt that the Audyn was didn’t color the sound, and was very neutral.  The Humble HIFi gave the Audyn a 12+  and was one of his favorite cap.  I know a lot of these reviews are subjective and based on a ton of factors like cables, wire, room treatment, front end, gear, etc etc.  But at least it gave me a reference point.  

For now I think I’m going to keep the stock crossover board and just replace the caps.  eBay does have a used crossover of my speaker, so maybe I’ll buy that dissect to see if I can gather the more information on the induction.  

Next I’m going to have to figure out how to keep the bigger cap and bypass cap connected to the crossover without causing strain on the lead wires.  Maybe it’s worth affixing those caps to the floor of the speaker, and just send up lead wires to the board.  Need to think about this some more.  Since the crossover is screwed to the back of the board vertically , maybe it worth relocating the the entire board to the floor.  

I’m also contemplating using better binding posts, as opposed to the cheap spring loaded binding posts.  I always hated them and felt the connection was crappy.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 02/02/24 at 21:50:29

Sounds good Dom. As you can imagine... I do have some thoughts I hope might help.

Audyns and Jantzens

I have experimented a fair bit over time with Jantzen Z-caps, as well as Audyn True Coppers and Maxs. In my Torii, 0.10 True Copper Max bypassed various nice 3.3 caps for several years, combined filtering the small VRs and inputs if I remember correctly.

I have also used True Coppers in other places in the power supplies, and in the mix on my speakers for extended periods.

The last time I dug in with them was a few years ago when I wanted to see if I could use the Audyn Coppers as primary tuning caps in the ZRock2, coupling caps and power supply bypasses, which almost worked for me. I could not at the time solve some, to me, rigidity and hardish clarity as fully as I wanted. Might be able to now, but didn't figure it out then.

Today I put in some 0.33 True Coppers in the place of the Miflex Copper Oil 0.33s, along with the 3.3 Jantzen Alumin-Zs on my tweeters, at first leaving off the bypasses.

I think the True Coppers are really good caps, but in my very resolving system, everything shows. And the issues I have consistantly had with these caps are that they are a little "too good" at what the do...They have a dynamic powerful feel, and nicely blend a slightly slow smooth warmth with quite clear balances. And they do this with a very good copper film flavor, that in this case, allows quite dense and smooth harmonics in space. It is just that, to me, on their own, all these traits tend to be just a little too obvious and forward. While not having quite enough very fine detail and higher harmonic information in their balance... altogether, this can equate to being a little too powerful, clear and focussed... so a little hard leaning.

Context

But this could be good in a different setup, or with less clear tweeters, or with more warm leaning setups, or ones that do not have ideal balances, or lacking great bass differentiation, or whatever. And this is just talking about this cap's influence as I hear it, not adjusted, and I have been able to use these caps in ways I love with the right company... so splitting hairs in ways, but I wanted to give you a glimpse of my experience with them.

And importantly, more and more, I realize my system is just different than most... developed with reading the most fragile very fine information and speed before considering all else... and if it is not there, generally, the part does not get used. Then all the other balances, including speeds across the spectrum, of course need to be pretty right, giving a refined foundation of resolution and speeds, no matter the flavor of all the balances as long as they are close...

Not that I "have it," always learning and refining. But room considerations, all cables, feet, all the power pieces, the components, computer/front end... speakers... all have been pretty seriously balanced, individually and collectively into a relatively heightened state. So for the most part, no smeared/muddled bass, instead all notes of all instruments naturally fast and musically differentiated… sounding like the instruments in a good room, with” right" feeling leading edges, textures and decays. And not muddled or too much in the balance, bass is faster, relatively impactful and deep, and generally does not mask the also well resolved mids. When it does leak upward too much though, it can be adjusted with gain tuning, my gain stages also tuned to help each other in ways that adjust speed, clarity, and density. Then the highs, integrated with and supporting mids and the low end, and without apparent smearing, resolution is clearer, showing amazing fine detail and complexity....the higher stuff emerging from open space with no apparent top, while being complex enough to not be hard on most stuff.

It is intersting how, in recent years in particular, with more room tools and nicer components, wires and parts, and combinations of these, how far we can go in refining how easily all the sonic information gets through... and how much more of "whatever" that shows.... But a lot of the habitual ways of designing, and tuning, and hearing, tend to make us think their limitations are still real. What I keep finding, is that we no longer have to be stuck in habitual hifi limitations and doldrums many of us came to consider normal. And as better balances, speed and resolution allow the system to let more information through more completely and musically, we might call it things like revealing or resolving, but that can mean a lot of things to different people depending on our experience and system/room. So it is hard to know how one baseline for evaluation relates to another.

I guess for me, the more I hear things in my system/room others describe differently, the more I realize just how much this setup shows, right down to pretty nuanced qualities... Creating yet another wildcard of a reference for observations and descriptions to come out of.

This is part of why I am always putting what I hear in the context of my experiences, and trying to describe pretty clearly what that sounds like to me... to make it less of a wildcard reference. Not sure how well this clarifies my observations, but something to keep in mind while interpreting them as they might relate to other systems.

In this context, so far, back to back, I have preferred Miflex Copper Oils over Audyn True Coppers, in part because they are clear, but softened a bit with paper and oil, contributing to the harmonics coming off as more complete to me, less overtly dense and clean, more complex and textured.

But the Audyns also have seductive balances and expression, including their smoother, more apparently dense harmonic clarity... also interesting… Splitting hairs, I find them a little slow/full in their warmth, but their clarity cuts through that nicely. And rolling off the very fine stuff a little proportionally… still can sound pretty complete. So these are preference things or things to work with in tuning. I can imagine why some folks love them, and why they rate high on HumbleHomeadeHiFi tests. And I don't totally love Miflex Copper/oils everywhere, or without the right company either, also preferring them with bypasses. It is just that so far, Copper/oils have been easier for me to use to get what I like.

Right now, having played the 0.33 True Coppers for four or five hours, they are waking up some from a long rest, and sounding quite good with Jantzen Alumin-Z 3.3 base caps, which are good at textures and revelation without being hard, but also need a little quality help up high for me... Still, with only the 0.33 True Coppers the sound is nice, the Audyns so clear in what they do, they sound good without bypassing them further...

Small Bypasses

Putting back on the same bypasses I was using before, now the 0.33 Audyn True Coppers replacing the 0.33 MIflex Copper Oils the only change, the increased fine detail and harmonic refinement is welcome for me, making the sound experience feel realer and more alive. Interestingly, with the Audyns flavor of warmth, the bypasses  also brought out more clearly an interesting euphonic effect the Audyns are contributing to. Not sure, it may be a little too "colored" and expressive for me, right now hearing the system and the music, rather than mostly just the music. But with more play time, and time for me to adapt, the things the Audyns bring to the blend may cause me to fall for them again, bringing back good memories of when these caps had been part of the blend for some years.

Jantzen Superiors I have not carefully evaluated for a long time, but I use some 3.3s with Clarity TCs as base caps in the power supply of the Torii and liked that change... I am always trying to musically refine bass with the Torii, and part of that method has become using nicer film caps, which being big, seem to also allow less capacitance while still being good filters. So a double effect can be found with them... a little more refined clarity and speed with good film, and reducing the capacitance a bit in the power supply lets the whole breath a little more, not pressing all the following parts as hard and fully, so reducing forcefulness and thickness. To this end, I was trying a Clarity TC 70uF in the place of a pair of already reduced value 40uF Jenson electrolytics, wired in parallel, combined a 80uF cap. The Clarity, with its more balanced resolution and speed was good, but took reducing capacitance a little too far... it was a little too open and lean. Luckily, adding the Jantzen Superior 3.3s brought it into a pretty nice balance for me, while opening up more space and textures in the quite nice Jantzen Superior ways.

Again my system, but I always find the Superiors pretty complete and balanced in most ways, except being slightly sedate and thin. But this is why I wanted to try them in this power supply position... to beef up the capacitance some with an open, relatively neutral and textural flavor.

Bottom Line???

Long story short, this was all to explain why I think your choice of a 3.9 Jantzen Superior-Zs mixed with a 0.1 Audyn True Copper, could very well create a really nice cap. I think the Audyn will likely beef up the Jantzen some, contributing the Audyn's warmth, open space, and dense clarity and harmonics... while likely helping to musically pull the best out of the Janztens. My guess anyway. And if you ever felt the need for more harmonic complexity, you could try some small bypasses, choosing one(s) that might balance well with the sound the Jantzen and Audyn make together with your speaker.

Pinnacle Plate?

For your cap mounting concerns on the Pinnacle crossover... Since you are looking at binding posts anyway, why not make as minimal a MDF plate as possible that you could mount the current crossover board on, and the new caps, while creating a mounting plate for the new binding posts.

With some really thin gasket material to seal and reduce vibration, cutting a round gasket about 1/2" wide to go around the binding post hole, and strips going around the outside edge of the new plate, it looks like you could screw the plate down to the speaker back. Not sure what Bob uses now for gasket material, but years ago he suggested I try Silly Winks" 9x12x.08 inches sticky back sheets, and they seemed good to me.

On a new plate, I think you could secure your current crossover board with some little corner pieces of double-sided tape. If you turned the board so that the caps "hang down," I think a few small pieces of double sided tape per cap would damp and hold the caps pretty well, especially for your experimental period. This setup would allow pretty easy adjustments of caps and board.

My binding post and crossover plates are bolted in place using this really thin gasket material. And the interior caps and coils are all secured to the plate with pretty minimal, but well placed double sided tape strips. I used the more rubbery seeming gray lined stuff, not the white more clearly foam variety. And my caps are not giant like your 3.3 Miflexs but probably about as heavy as  the Jantzens you are getting, and they have held for years now... I had to use new pieces of tape at times when I changed some of the parts, but pretty nice for flexibility.

ERRs

Finally, thinking about your Miflex burnin and sound. It may be that the foam or rubber material you used for damping, holding the caps in place, and feet for the cap shelves, is pretty transparent... But based on my experiences, that would be a pretty strong stroke of luck, as damping seems a lot easier to get wrong than right, potentially being dulling and slowing the sound in odd ways, especially with bigger pieces of damping material.

It might be worth a test. Like cut some little feet from a 2x2, and make some just large enough ply board pieces to put the caps on. I am imagining a tripod foot arrangement using the 1.5x1.5x1.5 feet. Then maybe cut something like two layers of cotton rag (tee shirt thickness) to place under the caps, and perhaps one layer between feet and board... It would be interesting to see what a much less damped, but slightly damped arrangement does for the sound. Not finished or glued, this could sound better, while being an easy platform for experimenting with different feet and damping that is not stuck down.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #185 - 02/03/24 at 00:08:01

Will,

Thanks for your impressions on the caps.  I’m going to  reply to that a bit later.  

Just wanted to throw a quick update on my soldering escapes.  Got around to removing the stock cap off the board today in both speakers.   It was a bit of a rough go… I used some desoldering ribbon to remove the excess solder from the joint.  That worked well, but removing the stock cap was a pain.  When I got the one joint hot enough, I had to try and bend the lead to straighten it out to get it off the board.  I went back and forth a few times before I was able to get it off, since I was dealing with two leads.   The cap did get warm during this time, and I was really trying not to screw up the board and frying it.  Since I’ve never really messed with PCB boards before, it was a bit of a challenge even with the helping hands.  

The cap is a Texas Instruments cap…and appears that it’s non polarized.  Attached is a photo of the board  with a flashlight to show the schematic of the board from the top, as well as  and a pic of the crappy cap.  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 02/03/24 at 00:43:46

That sounds like a pretty good solution for pulling the cap. You should probably pick up a nice solder sucker... it makes it easier by pulling the solder out, leaving the cap joint less connected, so pulling easier with a little back and forth heating.

I can't really tell from these pics, but can you see trace layers, or how the solder joints connect to the main traces? If you can see some of this, if you pulled all the stuff off off one, you may be able to figure the path  out more definitively.

And you can get pretty cheap meters now that measure inductance if you want to explore options there after pulling and measuring this one.

Something you may be able to figure out with the light as is... I am thinking that the resistors might have the traces setup so they are wired in series... so maybe a 17 ohm resistor on the cap/tweeter?

Does your meter have a capacitance setting? Have you checked the cap?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #187 - 02/03/24 at 01:00:14

Ironically enough my dad came over the house today while I was working on the board. He did a lot of soldering in the Marines when he was working on planes, and said that a solder sucker would be a good idea, even though he never used one.  

I think as added insurance… I’m going to buy that used board on eBay. The $15 investment may be worth it’s weight in gold.  It would allow me to then pull each piece off one by one so I can figure out the signal path.  It does look like the resistors are wired in series.

Ever since I moved back into my house, i’ve been trying to find my meter with no luck.  It was an decent one… But I don’t remember if it had a setting  for capacitance.  I have two more places to look…if not I’ll buy another one.  

My order from parts connexion just shipped today, so I should have it by the beginning to middle of next week.

Separately….the other Duelund resistors for my Err’s  never got fulfilled.  The website wasn’t updated when I placed the order, so that means that they now have to special order those resistors.  She is saying that I am looking at several months before I get them in… What a bummer!!  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 02/03/24 at 01:50:27

I had a similar problem with partconnexion's new site a few months ago. It said the Miflex caps I wanted were in stock and ran the checkout, and then, the next day or two, I got the dreaded email... dreaded because I was excited about the project and had to wait a long time to get them. I find the new site unintuitive and difficult to use also. Finally, I figured out that if I click on the partconnexion panel at the top of the pages, then go to parts and components, then, say caps, then "by Brand," at least the different company's caps show up in value order.

Maybe you won't need the resistors with the Miflex replacing the Clarities. And I wonder about getting them in several months, those resistors I believe having been discontinued.

If you think you need them, looks like HiFiColletive still has some 2.4s and 2.5s. Good people to deal with I find, and nice selection of stuff that ships pretty fast considering it is from England.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #189 - 02/03/24 at 03:48:18

Yes that’s what I did.  I hit the Parts Connexion banner at the top, and it brought me to the parts page.  It’s nice searching by brand and/or by values.  The sales team tried selling me the all black resistors, but I didn’t bite on them.  The solder sucker will be here on Sunday, and the spare crossover board will be here mid next week.  Lots more tho play with next week.  

I decided to order the Duelund 10W 2.5 resistors from the HIFi Collective since I felt that the values are a bit low, even with the Miflex caps starting to break in.  

Any recommendations on a decent multimeter?

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #190 - 02/03/24 at 15:40:10

Will,

The Audyn’s did sound like it would work nicely in my setup.  The frequency balance of my Pinnacles is a bit off in the midrange.  These speakers always had good bass and nice highs, but the midrange was muddled.  I’m wondering in the tuned bass port is a contributing factor.  I’ve read that some have plugged up the bass port which helped.  That is something I’ll explore going forward.  

You mentioned that the Audyn’s were almost “too good” at what they do.  In your resolving system I can see how that could be too much of a good thing.  With my system not as resolving as yours, especially with these speakers, maybe it will really work nicely as a bypass to clean things up with better separation, but I’ll just have to see how that plays out.  

Seems like you really like the Jentzens, and for good reason.  What I read makes me feel that they will be a very good base cap for these speakers.  Your experience with them, as well is other reviews with guys with tube amps, gives me insight that they will be a good fit.  

I do have the .01 Duelunds that I could always try out out to add into the mix as a secondary bypass. But I’ll have to see where the Duelunds offer a better fit and it’s trade off, since the Err’s are my main speakers.  

Good idea on adding the binding posts to the Err crossover platforms.           I do plan to play with the feet, because the material I wanted to use I ran out of.   Doing a triangle configuration is worth exploring.  I have that on my CSP2+ 25th and really like it.  In terms of holding down the capacitors with the rubber material, it’s fairly light and more of an open foam as opposed to a closed foam.  But definitely worth experimenting.  

Dom

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 02/03/24 at 16:30:51

I skimmed this thread so hope I'm not out of place here.

I used a combination of Jantzen Superior Z and MiFlex KPCU. Roughly 60uf of Jantzen and 8 uf of Miflex. Going for 68uf each side of Miflex was going to be thousands of dollars!

I'm really happy with the results. Burn in did take a lot of hours.

If you want to really go all out for attenuating the tweeter, Dave Slagle's Speakerformers are really good!

I'm glad I'm not the only who who finds Partsconnexion.com's new layout difficult to navigate. Bummer for them, hopefully they can figure out a better solution.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 02/03/24 at 16:58:45

Dom,

Yes...light foam, rubber, in between, official audio feet attempts, official damping material attempts, high cost and low cost.... I find lots of vibration mitigating tools work in some ways... But lots can work pretty poorly. They draw, transfer, absorb and dissipate vibrations differently, with different frequency imbalances.... So we try to find ones that do the unbalanced stuff less, or that do it in ways that makes the sound better to us. But the other side is most common... that they help and hurt. and I am guessing that both of those materials could be hurting to some degree, and overall, may not be helping the sound. But I may be wrong... thus the idea of a cheap and easy test of a similar minimal setup without much damping as a starting point for comparison.

I always hope I make sense in my posts, but maybe not. I thought I was talking about the binding posts option as part of a plate for your Pinnacles that would hold the boards and new caps, while allowing nicer posts to be integrated on the same plate.

Sorry about the confusion I created from putting the ERR topic head in the wrong place, and followed by saying ERRs when Pinnacles were in my mind... Geez!.... I was too tired when I posted I guess... !@#$%^&

I would not quite say I "really like" the Superiors or the Audyns, both compared to many others, quite good in many ways...but in this pretty tuned setup, the things I don't ideally prefer with each, are "off" enough to make them a little challenging to integrate (but doable). To me, in the right places... both can be nice. That said, I have not had an Audyn stay in my system for a long time. But playing with them again now, and hoping. As things are setup now for pretty open, they show their intensity, but compelling for sure.

And I have only one position the Superiors fit really well and without effort. But I have not worked hard on using them in part because I have had others that have integrated easier for various needs. That said, as I suspect you found in your reading, Groovysauce's experience is not uncommon... the Superior a good base cap!

For what you are wanting to do, I am hoping that the things I find a bit "off" on each, might compensate for each other, hopefully each complimenting one another in that use.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 02/03/24 at 17:59:31

The 0.33 Audyn True Copper being a pretty big cap, I was hoping I could find 0.22 Miflex KPCU I could have sworn I had a pair of, and mix it with a 0.1, a much smaller True Copper. I thought this would be a cool test that might make the special aspects of the Audyn mix easier with the Jantzen base cap and bypasses I have been using. But I can't find those 0.22 caps just now... If they show up, I will.

Then I remembered that when I used these 0.33 Audyns, the base cap was a Jupiter VT with the line toward the plus terminal. In tests this orientation made a big difference with this cap in terms of opening it up. Now the 3.3 VT replaces the Jantzen Alumin-Z, followed by the Audyn True Copper 0.33, a 0.022 Miflex KPCU, andthe Mundorf silver/gold/oil Evo.

It sounds really nicely balanced on first impressions... but the whole is slower and softer, probably too slow and soft at this point for me. But this may change as the VTs wake up and with gain adjustments. And the soft warmth actually makes it all work together pretty nicely, integrating the interesting slightly slow warmth and boldish copper clarity in space the Audyns give... But even with this more open orientation, the VTs "vintage" flavor is a little strong for me...On the other hand, all else the same, the 0.33 True Copper replacing the Miflex KPCU 0.33, with the Jantzen Alumin-Z as a base cap, and same bypasses, the Audyn change  was quite good, and compelling, but a little too clearly bold for working across recordings like I prefer.

As the VT is, it is sort of an enigma to me. In odd ways this combination is "fast enough," and resolving enough while also being a little soft/veiled and slow. It is well balanced within the context of these thin veils though...no doubt in large part because the support caps, the True Copper, Miflex KPCU, and Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil EVO bring out all levels of detail nicely, balancing and complimenting the "vintage" feel from the VT... a little overtly softish, smooth, and warm. But with the other caps to bring out detail and increase speeds a little, the whole has a classic warmth... the detail present enough and distributed well enough to sound pretty balanced to me... while being smooth and rich.

So this whole arrangement provides all the right stuff, in the right places, but with a thin softening/darkish veil pretty evenly across the frequency range, so relatively balanced. The same on speed... all spectral areas a little slowed down... yet sounding pretty balanced in speeds across the spectrum. This is an interesting one for me, and why I moved away from the VT, but cool to come back to check out. We'll see what happens as the VTs liven up after years of sitting. Could be good!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #194 - 02/06/24 at 22:26:40

Will,

Sounds like your tests have really brought about some nice results, and a few surprises.  I just received my Jantzens and Audyn’s this afternoon.  The Jantzen’s are not small by no means.  Going to need to find a board and a way to mount them near the the PCB board.  This is going to take a bit of time and some figuring out.    

I’ll post some pics later on.

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 02/08/24 at 19:52:32

Hey Dom,

No the Jantzens are not small like Solens, or some Clarities can be, but smaller the Miflex Coppers oils! I wondered if you might be able to hot glue them to the edge of the board. But I would just make a whole new plate as I described earlier, allowing for flexibility in changing things and also adding binding posts.

I had been mostly listening with the Audyn and Jupiter blend from different places around the room, and less from the seat. Still having some trouble getting it all balanced the way I prefer, I did some listening at the seat, playing a lot with gains and bypasses, and I just could not get things refined and fast enough for me.

So I put back in the old cap arrangement... Jantzen 3.3 Alumin-Z, 0.33 and 0.022 Miflex Copper Oils, and 0.01 Mindorf Silver/Gold/Oil. This immediately balanced with less force and more refined detail, space, and harmonic complexity. Complexity and lack of concentration in signal power, and associated, less macro dynamic emphasis, and more micro dynamics, was good for me. The macro dynamics opened into faster micro dynamics and excellent macro dynamics too, so more speed complexity as well. The combination notably relaxed the sound really nicely.

Also trying silver slugs in the SDFBs, not burned in yet, though getting more complexly resolving and faster...But still, with that added clarity and speed compared to coppers, I took off the 0.01 Mundorfs, and it is sounding balanced, clear, fast, and a little sweet... and a really good sound stage.

It is amazing to me how subtle balances synced together can do so much for the sense of a musical experience rather than hearing a stereo. But of course, this system and room and me.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #196 - 02/09/24 at 02:38:52

So today I was able to spend a chunk of the day on my speakers.  I felt that adding an additional board  as we discussed to keep everything together was the way to go.  I decided to use some left over white marine board that’s used for mounting dashboard gauges.  It wasn’t my first choice, but wanted to get things moving along.  I cut up 2 pieces, each 6x2.5 inches.

When it came to soldering, the holes in the PCB  board were too small to run wire through, so I just filled in the hole on the underside, and soldered the Jantzen’s  wires to a small bead of solder.  I was able to figure out the signal path, at least to the capacitor, because the Audyn’s are directional. I used a small piece of self adhesive foam to go between the board and the capacitors.  Next up we’re the Audyn’s which were easier to maneuver and work with.  I didn’t use the copper solder heat sink clips this time out, and just made sure to work quicker and everything was fine.

So I then screwed the PCB board to the new white board.  To make things easier going forward, especially with working in a tight spot, I opted to velcro the white board to the back of the speaker cabinet.  Now I can just pull the board out when I need to.

So now I hooked them up to my fully modded Zen SE84C+ Amp, since I’m using the Torii to listen to the ERR’s.

First off…these are not the same speakers from before. The muddled midrange is now gone, and there is a nice clarity throughout the frequency range.  This was my biggest complaint, and I attribute it to the Jantzen’s.  The music is more fluid and more pleasing to listen to.

Now the Audyn’s…I understand what you mean by forcefulness.  The speed and attack in the treble region is very forward and bold.  It’s honest in its presentation, and right now it’s a bit too much.  Although it does refine the highs,  making it sound better than before, I’m not sure how it’s going to play out.  

I’ll post more on the sound tomorrow, but here are a few more pics.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 02/09/24 at 03:18:25

Exciting. Here, with the Jupiters and Audyns in, even the already totally burned in caps, from not having been used so long, they took several days of hard play to warm up.

Green, both of those caps will be sharp and concentrated, but will become less rigid/more complex, faster, and fill out. The Audyns are not really directional per se... they just use an arrow rather than a line to show us which side is the outside winding. So you can play with that if you want. Guessing that if the arrow is toward the negative it will be denser/fuller and more rigid, and the arrow pointing toward the plus, more open and less forceful, also more spaciously clear. A guess anyway.

I think I recall the Jantzen Superiors are like Mundorf Supreme types...  more officially by-directional... thinking both are made with basically two caps in one case to get this to happen. But I am still able to hear differences in direction wit both, so another thing to possibly explore. Also, as I recall the Janztens are not a full sounding cap, so relatively clear too, but more open and complex, less concentrated and forceful than the Audyn.

You have a lot happening... me too. Lots to thoroughly  track, but fun!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #198 - 02/09/24 at 03:49:42

I forgot to mention that I added a dab of that museum gel in between the two caps.   It actually helped keep the two caps stable and together while I was soldering.   I feel that it can help with vibration going from one capacitor to the other….at least in theory.  It’s sorta like the same clear gel like material that they use on the back of new credit cards when they ship them to a new card holder.

Oh..BTW…I had also received with my Parts Connexion order a pair of cheap 1.8 and a 2.5 cement resistors to use with my Err’s, just to see what it sounds like with the higher values.  My Duelund Resistors from HIFi Collective will be here one day next week I’m guessing.  

Not sure what I’m going to do with that spare crossover I ordered from eBay,  I was originally going to use it to dissect  and see if I could get away with taking each part of the crossover apart, and build a new board and wire each piece separately.  But now I’m thinking that I could just keep it to use it for an A/B comparison to hear where the sound goes.  

You mentioned that the caps right now are going to be sharp and concentrated.  Sharp is definitely a great way to put it.   Both sets of speakers are going to get a good amount of play time this weekend.   With the CSP having 2 sets of outputs, I may just run them at same time just for burn in purposes.  Sound wise…it’s going to be weird, since they are on opposite ends of the room and the sound will be colliding with each other.

One thing is for certain, the investment in the capacitors for the Pinnacles was worth it.  Plus this capacitor exploration is really engaging.  I’m glad I’ve embarked on this journey.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #199 - 02/13/24 at 15:37:02

Few updates and observations as of now:

Err’s:  Its been several weeks now that the Miflex Capacitors withe the Duelund bypass caps and Duelund resistors have been running with a lot of use.   I’m going to say close to maybe 150 hours.  The sound has blossomed and has opened up nicely.  I’m hearing nice midrange textures that blend into the bass region with a more coherent sound.  The biggest issue with the Err’s was a recessed sound in the midrange.  I’m happy to report that it is no longer a handicap.  The highs are still a bit forcefull for my liking.  They are not as edgy as they were originally, and definitely more palatable.  The resistance is a bit too low, so I will be increasing that value,  I just received some cheap cement higher resistors that I’m going to temporarily swap in to hear how much more it tames the tweeters.  The higher value Duelund resistors are in transit from the HIFi Collective in England, so I’m still patiently waiting.  

I’ll create a separate post for my impressions on the Pinnacle speakers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print