Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preamp question (Read 2531 times)
fro
Ex Member

Preamp question
01/06/10 at 21:24:03

Hi everyone,
I've just purchased a second hand Zen Triode Amp from Ebay, model number on the bottom says Se84cspw, it appears to be a preamp as I can't see any speaker binding posts.  I have been unable to find out anything about it as the numbers only appear to correspond to a Zen triode SET amp.  I'm bitterley disappointed, when I did my research I thought I was purchasing the SET amp.  Is it a preamp and how good is it? Undecided

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Re: Preamp question
Reply #1 - 01/06/10 at 21:55:24

Is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Decware-se84cs-pw-Triode-Pre-amp_W0QQitemZ300363177918QQcmdZ...

If it is a stock CSP preamp only Steve can answer about having it upgraded to a CSP2.

But yes indeed you have what appears in the blurry pictures on Ebay to be a Decware preamp.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/06/10 at 22:00:30

If that's it, the ad is labeled preamp though the way that the letters are arranged in the model name ARE misleading.

An "SE84 CS" is a Select power amplifier.  An "SE84 CSP" is the preamp pictured.  I don't know what an "SE84 cs pw" is. . . .

The CSP preamp is a decent preamp. It was redesigned a year or two after its introduction, quite radically, and became the CSP2 preamp/headphone amplifier.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/10 at 01:52:24

It is a good preamp. I regret that you hadn't posted here while you were considering purchase, so the "PRE AMP" could have been identified. You have a good unit. DECWARE can convert it to a headphone amp and CSP version 2 preamplifier.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print