SE84C+  
  0 (0%)
SE34I.2+  
  6 (100%)

Total votes: 6
« Created by: btbluesky on: 12/19/09 at 11:48:05 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84C+ or SE34I.2+ for a 92db Spks (Read 8580 times)
btbluesky
Ex Member

SE84C+ or SE34I.2+ for a 92db Spks
12/19/09 at 11:48:05

I'm Hi, I recently aquired a pair of Tekton Design OB4.5 92db @ 4ohm (a pair of fostex 4" in parallel + tweeter). I know there might be some shortcoming with this speakers, but I cannot stop myself from thinking the genius design (open baffle+hybrid dipole). And indeed it deliver the liviest sound+imaging.

Finding out Decware and Steve's past works have been very inspiring. All the theories in his papers appeals so much to me. And the fact that Steve & Co. don't price their ware in stratosphere is another reason I'm here.

Now I just need to decide which amp I should get SE84C+ or SE34I.2+.

My chain is:
Linux FLAC (mainly female vocal, jazz, soundtrack, instruments)=>
Mhdt Havana (NOS DAC with direct tube coupling, 2.6v output)=>
Trafomatic Head one (SET headphone/preamp, 9v max @ 1kohm)

Another concern would be, should I upgrade to another pair of high eff speakers for more complex type of music (which ob4.5 might not be up to the job), I can use this SET amp as well (cornerhorn Smiley)

With SE84, I could order another one down the road as monoblocks, while enjoy the sweet 2w w/ the OB4.5 for now (which at 4ohm + set good SET preamp, should be good). BUT then, the EL34 with a single tube might be more appealing. Plus I find myself always prefer a warmer sound.

If the Decware team have any suggestion, please let me know.
Or if anyone have exp with both the amp, any comments welcome.

I'm very anxious to try them out!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84C+ or SE34I.2+ for a 92db Spks
Reply #1 - 12/19/09 at 13:10:03

I cannot vote because I don't know enough about these 2 amps to decide between them. I did have that Tekton Design speaker you have. I found it to be too "shouty" and ultimately fatiguing; in addition, it was not real good in the bass.

A pair of Steve's DM944's would kick the Tektons in the a**.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/19/09 at 16:32:35

I didn't vote because I don't have the exact gear.  However, I have a Select/CSP and a SE34.1.  I try the SE34 once in awhile but I always go back to the Select/CSP.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #3 - 12/19/09 at 17:06:19

Synergy will play a huge part in what you decide here. I have heard both amps a number of times on a number of different speakers. The SE34I.2 seems to be a little less user friendly than the SE84C but every time I have heard it set up well it has seemed to shine. With one SE34I.2 you wouldn't need to worry about getting a second amp later as it will definitely get the job done. There are, of course, other options such as the mini-tori etc. I have a personal preference for the SE34I.2 after hearing an excellent match with a custom speaker a couple of years ago with this amp and some tube rolling.

As for the speakers, I like the sound of the Fostex drivers in several different types of cabs. I know Bob has some mods he has done to the little FE126 that erased some of the shoutiness and made them sound smooth as silk.

Certainly not enough experience here to say what is best for you, but I can say my preference. Of course, considering the speaker at hand and not knowing if you intend to keep those forever makes a difference. Bob and Steve would definitely be able to tell you which is a better match. The SE84 is very, very forgiving and smooth which might help if your speakers are somewhat too bright or shouty???

Good Luck,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
btbluesky
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/20/09 at 15:03:14

Thank you guys for all the good suggestions.

For the Tekton ob4.5, I agree with some type of music it could be considered shouty, and we all know the bass is not good (I mean..paper 4.5 cones). BUT for the price I paid, the design and novelty alone is worth more than that already. The sound stage is amazing considering its size. The transiency is crazily good. With a really good tube DAC and for the music I play with it in near field, it fits the bill for me (obviously no rock or full orchestral works, just vocal, jazz and small pieces). I have 2 other systems for normal reference and complex stuff (which my wife is actually not too pleased about that. Roll Eyes)

And the reason I'm really just considering these two amps is, since this is my first SE amp, and my exp with this hobby in general is not much, I want it to be a simple triode so I can establish a baseline for future comparison. I know in the end it all comes down to design and workmanship, not what type of tubes. But in order to know the diff, I need a solid baseline. Taboo is definitely on my list for future audition.

At this point I'm leaning toward the SE84, if its like you guys said more forgiving. still...rolling EL34 sounds so much fun.... Grin . cheers.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/20/09 at 19:43:45

If those are 4 ohm speakers, the SE84 would be better.  I believe that the integrated's output tranny's are better for 8-16 ohm loads.  Steve would probably concoct either model to meet your needs, so give him a call if you haven't.  

I have two SE84's and 92db rated, somewhat low impedance speakers.  With just one SE84 driving, absolute output and peaks are only in the low 90's in room at best.  With two as monoblocks that gets upped to the high 90's, which unless you're a teenager should be plenty.  We're talkin mid-size room and mid-field listening distances, so ymmv, just wanted to indicate my biases.  

Check this out...a fairly glowing review of the integrated, and the author uses a zen select as his reference amp.  Good comparison and info that would probably help you decide:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/decwarese34i_e.html

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/20/09 at 21:31:57

I'm going to vote for the Integrated. The Integrated should be called "the forgiving amp," I find it very forgiving, more so than the Revision A amp (I guess that would be SE84A and the Select I had for years.  And it has headroom.  I think it would help your speakers to have better bass and dynamics.

I would say it's as "simple a triode" as the SE84C (and I'm not sure that's a great description for either) and I think it will give you wider choices down the line in speakers and sources.  It's a fine amp, only bettered in my experience in the Decware line by the Torii amp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/11/10 at 01:06:01

Though it is all so relative and synergy of room, gear and listener so critical, I can tell you my experience. I have a SE34I.2+ and Decware MG944 speakers in a medium sized room. The speakers I had before were rated and 90db and 6ohms. With the 6 watt amp, I found them OK on louder recordings but too quiet to give me a full musical experience on many recordings, and downright unacceptable for DVDs.

So I got some MG944's (94 Db/4 ohm) and they pretty much solved these issues for me if I use the higher gain 6N2P input tubes. However, if I use 6N1P or 6922 types, music is good, but the DVD thing (quieter player than CD) is less than engulfing for us.

I love the sound of the SE34...liquid, smooth, revealing, musical....and there are many ways to adjust its sound with settings and tubes, so would be surprised if you did not like its sound after breakin and tuning it to your tastes. I think it is unbelievably good.

However, and I may be a loud listener (though I am far from a teenager) but I like to load the room with enough sound to make me "feel" all aspects of the instruments and performance. My ears are still very good though and I don't intend to damage them! I can't find my DB meter, so can't say how loud I play, but I regularly listen for hours without fatigue. I find I do run the 34 close to its distortion limit fairly often though, and when I am liking tubes other than the 6N2P (nice tube) I don't like having to trade back to them in order to get DVD's loud enough for our tastes.

Considering these two points, with my room and 94Db/4ohm speakers, I am taking this beautiful sounding piece of gear to its limits often, and I realized I would be better served with a Torii MkIII. On the very edge of that need, but I decided I would be better off with more headroom. Good Luck.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print