Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:01:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84CS vs. Mini Torii SE (Read 3806 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

SE84CS vs. Mini Torii SE
10/20/09 at 07:13:14

I was wondering if anyone has done any serious comparison between the two? Does the Mini Torii have more heft, depth, or transparency than two mono'ed Selects(CCE-modded)? I have RL-3 speakers, would the SE be best for them? Any Decfest attendees?!!!!!

Happy listening!
Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: SE84CS vs. Mini Torii SE
Reply #1 - 10/21/09 at 15:56:44

Kelly,

I might be the only one that can answer your question and even at that some of this is out of memory...

I used two Selects mono'ed like you have for 3 years first with Steve's line stage as a volume control then with the CSP1 I loved it, since I sold the amps I can only imagine what the RL-3's would have sounded like with the CSP2 in front of Selects. But all this is at least  four years ago.

Since Decfest I've been listening to the Mini Torii with the retail version radials which is the closest thing I have to your RL-3's and the Mini Torii drives them beautifully, its a wonderful sounding amp, I get all the volume I need and it has great weight and spank, and detail to die for! As to which would have more, or better detail, I have to be honest, four years is a long time.

With that said, and seeing as I can not compare apples to apples, in my mind the retail version should be a bit harder for the amp to drive than the RL-3's, as the front driver is a little less efficient and the radial driver is more efficient than the 3's, but there is more of a crossover in the retail version cutting back on efficiency just a little.

If money isn't a big concern the Mini Torii would be a great choice, if money is and issue the addition of a CSP-2 in front of what you now have should give you the weight and spank that you are looking for.

I hope this helps,
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #2 - 10/23/09 at 14:40:46

ZYGI,

I'm thinking more on the lines of selling the selects in order to finance the Mini Torii, then I could spend the money I was saving for the CSP-2 on a ZP3 so I can do away with my Stax preamp & it's phono preamp!!!

Any thoughts, anyone?

Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 10/27/09 at 13:11:05

Kelly,

I found that the Mini Torii worked well with out the CSP2 in front of it, I think the path you are going to take would be the perfect solution.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print