Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:05:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best audiophile 10" drivers for WO32? (Read 1737 times)
Wakanda
Ex Member

Best audiophile 10" drivers for WO32?
09/03/09 at 13:55:10

Just received my WO32 blueprints with the intention of building an audiophile subwoofer.  What are the top drivers still available?

Wakanda

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: Best audiophile 10" drivers for WO32?
Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 19:54:15

I have not heard them myself but Steve's subwoofer seems to be the best choice as far as audiophile grade sub goes for the WO32.

Link: https://www.decware.com/newsite/dhm108b.htm

I have tried different subs in the WO32 and have not found one that I was totally impressed with. The best performing woofers were mid X-max woofers (8mm or less). They seem to have better sound quality than the ones with high X-max. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
poseydon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/04/10 at 19:16:32

Is it a good idea to use Eminence KAPPA PRO-10A for this design? It looks like a good choice for the job.

http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=KAPPAPRO-10A...

IP Logged
Wakanda
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/10 at 01:12:53

Hi poseydon,

I am still looking for a driver for the WO32 as I am hoping to build the cabinet as a winter project.  The KAPPA PRO-10A looks good but I have no experienced advice to give.  The xmax is low at 3.2mm

I hope your post generates some interest in this design and I will be watching for some good info.

Wakanda

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 01/05/10 at 14:03:50

Wakanda, poseydon

I'd really, really, really be afraid of using the KAPPA PRO-10A in a WO32, or any sub for that matter.  The spec says "Usable Frequency Range  102Hz-2kHz ".  Unless this is a misprint, it means that the KAPPA PRO-10A is not a sub or even a woofer but more of a pro audio mid woofer or even a midrange...bad choice for a WO32.

I like the specs on Steve's DHM108B (although there are a couple misprints there...xmax...0.39" is 9.9 mm and 5.5 mm is .22" don't know which is right, but I'd guess 5.5 mm, .22".  Also Qts is wrong...should be Qes * Qms / Qes + Qms = 0.32 not 0.618).  The specs on Steve's DHMPRO look even better.  Also, don't forget to look at the 10" Series II from Parts Express
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-110

Dan

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 01/06/10 at 13:46:54

I agree with Dan on this one. The Kappa is prolly not going to give the results you want unless you are wanting a mid-bass oriented enclosure. My choices would go like: Steve's 10", Series II, Quatro, and maybe the Dayton Classic. If you want something besides Daytons, the Pioneers subs look good for the WO32. If you are going for a good audiophile sound check out the Madisound catalog. They offer a wide range of woofers and subwoofers to work with the WO32. Just my two cents.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
poseydon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/17/10 at 09:14:53

So what I have found is bizarre for me:

Decware's DHM-PRO speaker:
https://www.decware.com/newsite/images/DHMPROlarge.jpeg

Eminence Kappa PRO-10A:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-426

Just take a look at the pics.
Amazing resemblance!

IP Logged
stunna-box
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/06/11 at 03:05:24

Hello, I found a speaker and seeing what you all think about it for this type of box set up!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=294-659&scqty=...

Thanks

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/11 at 04:46:36

stunna-box, did you try the woofer you linked to? I am starting to look harder at a WO as an alternative to a Rhythmik sub.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
syn-ack
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/01/11 at 04:57:20

I'm asking myself the same question.  The only issue I have with Steve's driver is the frequency range only goes down to 35hz and I want to get down towards 20.  For that reason I'm looking at the JL audio 10W6v2-D4 because the requency response: 23-250 Hz sensitivity: 83.7 dB.  I know that's a lousy sensitivity number but I can drive it with a Keiga KGND-52100-SP 1000 Watt Digital Amplifier at 4 ohm since the JL will take 1200 w max at 4 ohms.  I realize this runs contrary to the Decware focus on efficiency.  My only question is are the JL subs as musical as I want them to be.  I know they have a great reputation in the audio sound arena and some of their home audio stuff is supposed to sound great.  I'm also looking at the HiVi SP10 10" Subwoofer it also is low efficiency and high power handling capability.  Again I don't know about it's musicalliy.   In the end I'll probably try both the JL Audio and the Decware components and sell the looser of the battle.

Edit:  I plan on powering the JL Audio set with this:
$598.00 Keiga KGND-52100-SP 1000 Watt Digital Amplifier 4 ohm
from madisoundspeakerstore dot com

IP Logged
Jung
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/25/12 at 01:14:32

I don't think the JL Audio driver is a good choice, from what I've been reading due to the high Xmax and QTS. Did you use this driver and how did it turn out?

I've been searching for driver that has the similar parameters to the recommended driver, but goes lower without much luck. The closest I've found is the Dayton Audio NS270-44.  It doesn't have a paper cone, but I'm not sure why that is recommended. It has a low end of 30HZ.  I have an ART SLA4 that would be perfect to push this DVC driver. Anyone know if the NS270-44 would suitable?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #11 - 06/25/12 at 09:19:26

Jung,

In the interest of science, try it! I believe this would be an excellent driver choice. However you may need to make the sealed side a bit smaller, which is easier to do than making it larger.

Try it and let us know.
Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/18/13 at 20:58:07

I am planning on trying a pair of Acoustic Elegance TD12H's in a 12 inch version of the WO32 (scaled obviously)

http://aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61

AE Speakers also has a 10 inch that may be suitable, the TD10S

http://aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=69

It will be a while before I can start building, but will let you know the outcome when i get this project done.

*Also, I just wanted to point out that the Dayton Audio NS270-44 has a 1W/1M sensitivity of 87db, just in case you read the description that lists the SPL at 93db with 2.83 volts @ 1m think they call that the half-space sensitivity? not quite sure, will let someone else explain that one. Still probably would be a good choice.

IP Logged
bonnesone
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/20/17 at 17:20:51

I've ordered another matching Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer. I read somewhere in the forum that with this driver's aluminum <stiff> cone, one should mount a round patch of "pile" rug (speaker face diameter/rubber surround unincluded) directly opposite the driver (<1" away) in the far end of each tapered pipe horn. I wonder how deep should the rug pile be? I can easily find rug-tile sample/discards in the right size I'm sure. Working on keeping it simple with passive cross over to the sub @ 90 hz with possibly just a pair of coils. I'll have to test a few designs with my 6Ω Onkyo 2-ways - different topic perhaps "WO32 Passive Crossovers"

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/26/17 at 21:29:58

I used a square piece of wool felt opposite of the driver. I don't think it has to be round and have a huge pile to it. I made it the same size as the panel up and down and then stopped it half way down the horn path. Just make it bigger than the driver.

If you go into this thread you can see it in the pictures.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1345814314

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print