Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 07:37:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My $50 garage sale find (Read 3473 times)
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

My $50 garage sale find
06/16/09 at 13:41:57

Pair of speakers were outside at the neighbors garage sale 3 days ago.  They were big, black, and almost looked home made.  I took a look, thinking I'd talk with the guy if he built them.  First thing I saw was a price sticker, $50 pr.  I'm not going to spend $50 for a pair of garage sale speakers.  Next thing I saw was the name plate: JBL.  Now I know that JBL (and Altec) has made some of the finest speakers ever made, but I also know that there is some junk out there too.  So I noted the model:  L7.  Then I asked if there was anything wrong with them, no, and if I'd read the price right "$50 for the pair, right?"  "well, make me an offer, but they are worth $50".  I said I'd go look them up online and might be back.

Well, turns out they are not junk.  They had a retail price of $1950/pair back when they were new, around 1992.  So I got my butt back there quick and am now the proud owner of a pair of JBL L7's.

12" woofer - crossover is 180 hz
8" mid bass - crossover is 900 hz
5" mid range - crossover is 4k hz
1" high frequency

They are power hungry, but that must be how they get the incredible  bass output.  Sounds like you have a sub going when these things are plugged in.

Dan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My $50 garage sale find
Reply #1 - 06/16/09 at 14:22:32

I remember reading about these back when they were new releases.

Good score!  Enjoy them!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Re: My $50 garage sale find
Reply #2 - 06/17/09 at 15:26:07

I never got the chance to listen to the L7 but I have a couple of friends who swear by old JBLs one has 4320 biamped with some old Marantz tube gear and the other has 4545 triamped with Bryston amps. Pretty awesome stuff not the tower speakers but the old monitors the size of a washing machine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print