Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1310767 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #18750 - 04/06/20 at 03:32:51

Another of my favorites, again with that beautiful un-compressed dimensional sound from the analogue era of tape.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18751 - 04/06/20 at 03:57:48

To keep the nice trip going a bit longer, this is every bit it's equal.

Can you imagine how screwed we would be without musicians! Thank God for music and intelligent melody.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18752 - 04/06/20 at 05:11:47

Alright time to shift gears into something a little more serious...  the acoustic tracks on this bonus album are stunning, plus I have a great story about this one.

I just discovered this artist (Dido) last year about a month before flying to Saint Johns Island to visit my daughter and grandchildren. I was really taken by her voice, you know, one of those artists who's vocal harmonics and personality give you goosebumps when you listen. This one is in my top ten list.

A fun side note: On the way home after a nice three day visit my wife and I found ourselves in an airport trying to kill a couple hours and after walking around until our feet hurt and eating somewhere as slow we could there was nothing to do but go to the gate and cop a seat for the last hour.

I'm setting there looking down at my phone and someone walked up and sat down across from us.  She was wearing bib overalls, had brunette hair, and dark sunglasses.  She was by herself.  There was something eerily familiar about her so I watched her watch her phone and eat her sandwich and then she took off her sunglasses and I realized it was Dido!  It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!  I've stood face to face with Robert Plant and that didn't give me half the rush...

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18753 - 04/07/20 at 02:17:20

Folks, if you grew up with this album, like I did, this is a must have. This is Aqualung 2011(40th Anniversary)Steven Wilson Stereo Remix.  This was one of the first HD files I purchased several years ago, but I always thought the digital was lacking. I had read of this vinyl edition being really good, but it is a jaw dropper. And the packaging is the best I’ve seen. It has a thick cover, and is made like a book. See photos.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18754 - 04/07/20 at 03:16:53

Nice!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18755 - 04/07/20 at 03:17:56

Immensely popular, at least 1/2 the tracks are 5 stars.  

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18756 - 04/07/20 at 09:26:55

One of my favorites back-in-a-day.

The_Gist_of_the_Gemini.jpg

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18757 - 04/07/20 at 16:43:57

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18758 - 04/07/20 at 16:53:16

I've had a lap dog a bit under the weather the last few days and so haven't had a lot of room for my laptop to post what I'm listening to.

Today she's feeling a bit better and I have a bit more room.

Listened to "Capuchin Swing" by Jackie McLean, the Blue Note title on SACD from Analogue Productions. The title song is about as close to "Star Eyes" as you can get I guess and still be another tune!

Then I switched gears and listened to the sceond disc of the third show in the June 1976 box set new from Grateful Dead.

I switched gears to the Mosaic Set of "The Complete Woody Herman Decca, Mars and MGM Studio Sessions 1943-1954" disc 2

It occurred to me that Woody Herman would fit right in vocally with the Dead. . . .

Now, Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden's duo cd "Jasmine"

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18759 - 04/08/20 at 13:35:59

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18760 - 04/08/20 at 15:19:18

Ike Quebec "Blue & Sentimental" Blue Note/Analogue Productions SACD

This is one of my favorite Blue Notes and a great traditional/modern bridging work that keeps rewarding me with joy and insight spin after spin.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18761 - 04/09/20 at 18:58:11

"The Complete Capitol Recordings of Woody Herman" Mosaic Records CD 1

This is sounding great today. That Capitol sound!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18762 - 04/10/20 at 11:32:27

Another fav from back-in-a-day.
I still enjoy Al's breakaway work from the late 60's. Even without the enhancements of the time!

IMG_0001.JPG

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18763 - 04/10/20 at 18:22:30

Getting ready for Andrew Lloyd Weber's 2012 Concert version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" by listening to the original album that came before any stage production...

Less than 40 minutes until they drop the complete 2012 Concert on Youtube...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18764 - 04/10/20 at 21:42:52

Wow, that was a blast from the past. I wore that 2 album set out and between me and my siblings playing it through the first half of the 'seventies don't need to hear (or see) it again.

Now when I see Andrew Lloiyd Weber I think of what the late Michael Stern, OBE, said then my Headmaster (and founder) of the incredibly excellent Waterford Kamhlaba boarding school I went to in M'Babane and feel was the best years of my life. Before he founded the school in Swaziland, Michael Stern had been a professor/teacher at the Westminster School in London and Weber had been one of his Latin students. Stern felt that Latin was a very important subject for success; he had been my Latin teacher as well and I came into the school with no Latin when the class was in its second year and I was forced to do two years of work in one year to catch up--and was first in my class by the next year. When your headmaster is the Latin teacher you work hard! Anyway Stern told us that one of the few times he had been wrong about a student was when Weber was doing so poorly at Latin. Stern told Weber that if he didn't shape up and do well at Latin he would "never amount to anything in life." That it turns out. . . was grossly inaccurate. He was proud that he was wrong and one of his students, even a poor one, had done so well even then at such a young age (this story was told us in '71).

I like Superstar but I'm really burned out on it!

I managed to sneak in one more disc of the Woody Herman, but my wife is off work yesterday through Sunday so probably won't get much listening in. . . which is a shame as my system never sounded better and even though I have done a lot of listening in this "hunker down at home" scenario--taken very seriously for about a month now in Ohio, for which I'm thankful--I just never get enough listening in. God bless Decware and PS Auido!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18765 - 04/11/20 at 21:52:01

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18766 - 04/13/20 at 12:37:22

Charles Mingus - The Clown

Haitian Fight Song is one of my favorite jazz cuts

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #18767 - 04/14/20 at 19:08:35

On the MOV label for Columbia.
The quietest album I've ever bought. I Went to the volume switch first time I put it on it was so quiet.
Also I'm using my new Plinus Koru phono amp which is
delightful.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18768 - 04/14/20 at 19:56:18

Did my federal and state taxes and I'm trying to assuage the sting of writing two checks with some great music.

Started with some lovely Dexter Gordon, the SACD of the Blue Note title "Dexter Calling" put out by Analogue Productions.

And on to Billie Holiday "All or Nothing at All" the Verve sessions on Analogue Production SACD. These Verve titles done by Analogue Productions via Sterling Sound sound FANTASTIC.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #18769 - 04/14/20 at 19:57:37

Really enjoyed the Agharta lp,more laid back than some of the post miles era.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18770 - 04/14/20 at 20:12:22

Yes, Agharta is brilliant, been listening to it for over forty years! I'm sure you're acquainted with Pangaea, which was recorded the same day in Japan. Very similar, yet quite different.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #18771 - 04/14/20 at 20:36:58

G Dead '72 Oregon
A few sides of this ...

Week 4 of the lock down

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18772 - 04/14/20 at 20:48:18

Coleman Hawkins "Wrapped Tight" Implues/Analogue Productions SACD

I saw a hawk flying through the window, and walked over to a shelf and
my eye landed on this one. Seems a great followup to the Holiday disc with excellent Ellis and Webster.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18773 - 04/15/20 at 16:01:01

Johnny Hodges - Creamy   Good name for it because it is Creamy...

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18774 - 04/15/20 at 16:24:05

Hodges had such an amazing tone!

I started the listening today off with this fantastic sounding SACD, Horace Silver "The Tokyo Blues" Blue Note/Analogue Productions. This is one of the best sounding SACDs in the series

Followed by an Impulse SACD, "Salt and Pepper" Sonny Stitt and Paul Gonsalves, Analogue Productions SACD.

I think Paul should have gotten top billing on this one, his tone alone is so outstanding, and his ideas pull me in.

Now on to a less great sounding disc but a great performance, Cannonball Adderley Quintet, "Inside Straight" on OJC cd.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18775 - 04/15/20 at 16:31:36

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18776 - 04/16/20 at 15:52:21

I keep revisiting this one of late in part because it keeps showing up on listening lists which nudges me but in large part because it's such a great listen.

Over time what strikes me about this one is the precision of the playing. The bright grooves just keep rolling and everyone is rhythmically right there even when passionately preaching' in their solos.

These players really seem to be enjoying playing together and there's so much "spirit" here.

Joe Henderson "Page One" Blue Note/Analogue Productions SACD.

This SACD sounds great, but I also enjoy the SHM-CD and the Platinum SHM-CD (mono) from Blue Note Japan/Universal. It's just a very well recorded RVG date in my opinion. The horns especially have a full, projected sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18777 - 04/16/20 at 16:11:04

Now on to Monday Michiru's "Soulception" . . . . A lovely, jazzy album from this kick-ass woman.

Monday has her grasp on so many genres she is almost like a human octopus. Ed Motta appears here to duet as well, a big plus in my estimation as I love his voice.

Monday's music and words are always relaxing and positive. I'm so glad that I found her through Jim Sangrey's encouragement.

https://taniafuentez.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1.jpg

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18778 - 04/16/20 at 21:33:03

Home relaxing on the couch and was looking for some nice background jazz music.  The bride thought the Eddie Higgins Trio was the perfect choice.

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18779 - 04/17/20 at 03:07:19

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18780 - 04/17/20 at 09:44:56

Such a fun album. Funk #49!

IMG_0010.JPG

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18781 - 04/17/20 at 18:52:55

Finally finished listening to the June 1976 box set from the Grateful Dead. This set has me re-evaluating 1976 and had me sampling some other shows, but it wouldn't surprise me that if I listened to all that I have (and I have all the official releases) these shows might not turn out to be among the top shows.

My favorite sequence of tracks I just re-listened to:

“St. Stephen”
“Not Fade Away”
“Stella Blue”
“Samson and Delilah”
“Friend of the Devil”

Beacon Theatre, NY, NY (6/15/76)

There are killer mid-sections of "St. Stephen" and "Not Fade Away" that show that the whole band (especially Keith, who is making strong contributions) came to play and to recapture that seat-of-the-pants exploration in a new way. And there's such a languid "Stella Blue" that it's comfortably numbed with ghostly moments. The swamp funk groove of "Samson and Delilah" seems no little feat and a new groove for the band, and the country calypso of "Friend of the Devil" sells this story of the friend who hasn't yet shot the sheriff but might because he's being pursued. . . .

Sound is really good on this set. GBPP (God Bless Plangent Process).

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #18782 - 04/18/20 at 12:39:17

The "shelter in place" anthem. Day...whatever:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqD055X8MQ

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18783 - 04/18/20 at 15:49:40

This is unusual for me, I'm not what you would call a Beatles fan.

Hard to believe that me, as a 59 year old man, is half of a generation removed from the Beatles really having any kind of impact on me or my music preferences.

Yes I know the impact that they had, but I was 9 when they broke up. It is interesting how things change from a fifty year view.

Abbey Road.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18784 - 04/18/20 at 16:59:59

Joe Jackson - Big World

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18785 - 04/18/20 at 20:38:03

If anyone is a fan of "Phantom of the Opera" you have to watch the 25th Anniversary Albert Hall performance...it will be available until 2pm tomorrow...I just finished watching it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINQjT7Zr9w

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18786 - 04/19/20 at 19:38:18

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18787 - 04/20/20 at 06:11:55

It's really good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Xarro
Verified Member

Reply #18788 - 04/20/20 at 15:07:40

I think AC/DC is the best music band of all times. Been a fan for more than 15 years, even now when I am staying in my property in Greece https://tranio.com/greece/ I listen to their albums for weeks.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18789 - 04/21/20 at 03:57:17

Decided I wanted to hear some horns tonight and switch it up.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18790 - 04/21/20 at 19:01:11

"Torino" from this box set

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18791 - 04/22/20 at 13:31:37

I've had this vinyl album forever. Spinning over the years as a reference, it has finally registered it's mark with the latest additions too my system. I sat in the Chariot this morning listening to The Overture of 1812 while reading Steve's latest on this forum and was abruptly interrupted by the first cannon shot and never did get to finish what was on hand!  I just kept repeating Wow...Wow...Wow Shocked

A1cQ9g8Zt3L__SX522_.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18792 - 04/22/20 at 17:14:59

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18793 - 04/22/20 at 17:27:28

Hi Lon,

I belive a piece of your history has made it's way to the Chariot.  A ZP3 from Erie. It plays well nested with an Ortofon and ZKIT1 Smiley

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18794 - 04/22/20 at 17:29:02

Cool John. Mr. Slate did some mods I believe made it an even better machine. Enjoy!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18795 - 04/22/20 at 17:31:29

Yes, he put some Arizona Green Cactus bypass caps in and moved the inputs to the front. Will do!
Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18796 - 04/22/20 at 18:20:06

Cannonball Adderley "The Happy People" EMI Japan cd.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #18797 - 04/22/20 at 22:01:02

wonderful Bosendorfer Piano recording, sounding and playing!
https://tidal.com/browse/track/82060203

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18798 - 04/23/20 at 02:01:07

Been listening to music before my time period...it reminds me of music that my dad would listen to.  

Dominick

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18799 - 04/24/20 at 04:09:21

Jimi Hendrix - Crash Landing

This was my introduction to Jimi when I was 16, and one of my most sacred albums. Although it got the Alan Douglas treatment, it is still one of my favorite Hendrix albums.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 ... 504
Send Topic Print