Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:39:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting a WO and keeping some trunk? (Read 7291 times)
JRock
Ex Member

Fitting a WO and keeping some trunk?
03/30/07 at 06:12:24

So- I have a car, it has a trunk.  I have some sealed subs in there, but can't live without the sound of my WO in my old car.  Problem is, I really need to keep a little trunk space.

What do you all think about splitting a WO, fiberglassing the compression and sealed chamber into the areas on the left and right (each side would be half a WO) of my trunk and adding the horn flare to that?

Otherwise, what about a WO32 Version- basically keep the way the WO32's horn is loaded.  I was thinking something like this:

Red is Fiberglassed enclosure, while Blue is all built from wood.  The green is obviously the subwoofers, and the Yellow is the free space in my trunk.  The reason for the slanted Blue ends is merely cosmetic.

I am willing to build a test enclosure of roughly the same size out of 3/4 MDF- but first-

What does everyone think?  I believe the main difference between the WO and WO32 is the WO has a compression chamber, making it dig a little deeper.  I also belive lengthening the Horn of the WO32- the picture design would do this- would lower the response and get it further to the WO I am used to.

Mainly I am looking for the increase in dynamics and sensitivity that the WO offered.

Any other ideas for a similar layout would be sweet.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Re: Fitting a WO and keeping some trunk?
Reply #1 - 03/30/07 at 15:20:54

put your wo back in and get a trailer/roofrack.

thats a lot of work for it NOT to work.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/07 at 15:22:01

also i read a while back 'steve wrote' the wo32 will not work in a car.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/30/07 at 16:03:27

If I had the time and spare wood, I'd try it.

If it works, great. If it doesn't you've still got your scrap wood and more experience.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
JRock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/30/07 at 16:19:56

I think I will have to just go ahead and try it.  Build a mock up out of scrap wood with the same sized chamber I can get by fiberglassing...

If it doesn't work I can just chuck it- plus it could perform well or at least better then the sealed and bandpass boxes I have tried.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/30/07 at 16:37:35

JRock wrote on 03/30/07 at 16:19:56:
at least better then the sealed and bandpass boxes I have tried.  

what have you tried? equipment etc?

keep it short

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/30/07 at 16:54:33

JRock wrote on 03/30/07 at 16:19:56:
I think I will have to just go ahead and try it.  Build a mock up out of scrap wood with the same sized chamber I can get by fiberglassing...

If it doesn't work I can just chuck it- plus it could perform well or at least better then the sealed and bandpass boxes I have tried.  

I vote for do it. Computer modelling can never completely model how something will act 100%, only real-world testing will tell you if it'll work or not.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print