04/18/24 at 09:08:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO firing into Cabin (Read 7467 times)
37WREFGli
Ex Member

WO firing into Cabin
02/07/07 at 06:28:48

I have a question for all you WO fans. I am currently planning on constructing a high SQ orientated sound system for my car. It is a medium-large sized sedan.
I recently saw a car in a magazine where they had constructed a slot port to vent between the two back seats (centre one removed) to fire directly into cabin. The design gained good reviews and my question is, would it be possible to do the same with a WO? i have drawn up aprox. what i mean. the orange added to the design is a fiberglass surroind to blend the box into the enterior neatly, and the blue is the back of the two rear seats. these can be made wider or narrower if needed to change size of gap. but basically i will be replacing my rear seats with another two buckets much like the fronts.
if the mouth of the box should be moved forward towards the seats further i have the width to make the sealed sections wider and shorter as required.

The main question i am after is i have heard the box should be loaded off a wall or something similar for greater SPL, but i want clear bass, not outragous volume, will i have a problem with cancelation? Also this will save me problems with getting bass into the cabin because my car has a quite thick parcel shelf and seat backs.

I am mostly wondering if anyone has tried this as i cant test it because i dont have the box constructed, and i also currently have a LPG tank installed in the way.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: WO firing into Cabin
Reply #1 - 02/07/07 at 13:20:54

As a WO fan as long as you are not shrinking the existing WO exit you should be fine. In this case your ahead because you still have expansion due to the path to the cabin ( height mostly).

Never any guarantee on anything, but building a WO is never a bad thing.

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/07 at 14:47:18

[quote author=gexter  link=1170833328/0#1 date=1170854454] building a WO is never a bad thing. [/quote]
x643783848

IP Logged
37WREFGli
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/07 at 13:37:21

LOl i couldnt of hoped of getting a better reply, was really affraid i would get a comment about how it would just not work propperly.  8-)

i plan on building the 36 x 30 version as the full version just wont fit (Sedan), and hoping to use four focal 27WX woofers if i can get my hands on them in an isobaric loading. they are a fairly low excursion sub so reduce problems with port noise and high effiency drivers in a high efficiency box should go very well. especially with pratically no obsticals to absorb sound before the cabin.  :)
hoping it will sound beautifull now i just have to pick a good sub amplifier...
i do love the look of treo amps...

Anyway cheers guys, thanks 4 the advise

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/07 at 14:16:43

you made me think about the size.
I wonder how much better a 36 x 30 is than a 36 x 24. or would it be better?I figure that Steve had two sizes for a reason and did not go to 30 inches for a reason.  Its a question that I cannot answer, but I have found the WO so forgiving it should not be much of a problem.
I know there are several that have played with the sizes more than myself maybe they could chime in.
G

IP Logged
37WREFGli
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/19/07 at 12:25:31

Sorry to contradict but it does mention on the plans page that any size between 24 and 36 can be chosen?

I was led to believe that the difference would be bottom end extension, with the bigger size being able to play lower, but now i am thinking i have read to construct an optimum length horn for sub frequencies, they end up being like around the 50 ft mark correct? so would the few inches difference in the WO make a large difference? (remember i am looking for a sq system foremost) And finally with cabin gain in cars is the lower end extension nessicary if it is only a few Hz difference?
Could someone please clear this up for me?
Cheers

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/19/07 at 17:13:23

in my experience, all my subwoofers worked best when the port /opening was aimed away from me, my guess is that fireing the wo i into the car like your drawing wont work well at all. face it backwards and you will be amazed how good it sounds.

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/20/07 at 03:54:54

37WREFGli wrote on 02/19/07 at 12:25:31:
Sorry to contradict but it does mention on the plans page that any size between 24 and 36 can be chosen?

I was led to believe that the difference would be bottom end extension, with the bigger size being able to play lower, but now i am thinking i have read to construct an optimum length horn for sub frequencies, they end up being like around the 50 ft mark correct? so would the few inches difference in the WO make a large difference? (remember i am looking for a sq system foremost) And finally with cabin gain in cars is the lower end extension nessicary if it is only a few Hz difference?
Could someone please clear this up for me?
Cheers

No contradiction I said I wonder how much better the 30 would be than the 24. thats more of a question, if you build both and use he same equipment you could tell me!

Steve states the WO will play louder. Some say the same as well as lower. some say it does not play lower. I figure Steve is always right because in all the stuff I have played with he is right.

60 has a good point about the WO placement that is also a repeatable fact.
He is right to the point that it can be night and day.
There are all sorts of reasons for this and some disagreement so i will not bother. lets say it works more than it does not.

IMHO and I am not saying I am right is that if the box faces back it will be deeper and better bass with the possibility of less SPL.
I like it as low as it can get and for SQ I am with 60 to the point that I would not face it as you show. I never had any or my Wo or Wo32s facing me, because I do not like the sound. In the house they always have faced down a couple inches off the floor. In the car faced to the back.
The Db faces the back of a car and faces the corner in my house.
thats the best I can get

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print