Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:56:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO Placement Question, forgive my ignorance... (Read 4341 times)
Audiophonicz
Ex Member

WO Placement Question, forgive my ignorance...
02/10/07 at 22:51:41

ok, Ive been reading this forum for quite some time now, and ive actually completed a 10" WO about a year ago.  I know that its intended to use in hatchbacks, and ive seen the video (tho now i cant find it or who posted it) with a 12" version in the cab of a ford ranger that shook the back window amazingly. By now I know that this amazing box in small cabin space is amazing, but my question is whether or not the whole box should be in this cabin space, or just firing into it.

I have an Jeep Cherokee 2 door.  Ive had the 10" WO sitting right behind the front seats firing forward inbetween them.  I want to build a wall tho, kinda like the SPL guys do it, and i was curious whether i should build it so that the WO is just firing thru the wall into the cabin space, or actually be fully inside.

What would give me the best SPL?  I know either way im gonna have great SQ.  By the way this will be a 12" version, possibly scaled, using Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1s.

Lemme hear your opinions guys, the great knowlege of this forum has helped me in the past.

thanks again...

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Re: WO Placement Question, forgive my ignorance...
Reply #1 - 02/11/07 at 02:48:02

only way to know for sure is to try? i dont think anyone can say for sure what will be louder.

are you trying to win a competition?

if yes

then you will be up against some very talented and crazy people.

if no,

why not consider tradeing your spl  quest for sql?

and build a car that sounds amazing and gets loud.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 02/13/07 at 11:28:40

From my experience,
The WO will be slightly louder if the whole box is inside the cab, but the sound quality can be slightly better if it is only firing into the cab. That isn't definitive as I have only done this experiment in one vehicle (an S-10) The sound with the box in the car was a little boomier and maybe had a bit of "Cab rattle", but hit a couple more db than when we loaded it in the bed firing through the hole we cut into the cab. The SQ with it firing into the cab was considerably better though. It also lowered the overall tuning a few points which is likely the cause for the dropped dbs.

Like 60 said, no way to know except build and measure. Also if you are competing, there are many many ways to get numbers. If you want to listen and enjoy it as well there are other ways.

The fun is in the trial and error.

Good luck!
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Audiophonicz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/15/07 at 19:10:44

Thanks alot Musgofasa, that was exactly what I was looking for.  Someone who as tried the exact 2 way you have with a pickup, and a ballpark of what each placement will do.  I knew I could count on you guys, and Ill try to post pics of a dual DB10 + 12" WO setup Ill be playing with this spring.

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/15/07 at 20:39:23

3 enclosures in one car ?

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/16/07 at 17:42:28

i had better luck facing the WO to the rear in my Xterra...3db better actually.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #6 - 02/17/07 at 18:52:08

djman37 wrote on 02/16/07 at 17:42:28:
i had better luck facing the WO to the rear in my Xterra...3db better actually.

That sounds about right. The way I have it explained is that facing the rear provides a compound loading of the wave. Essentially doubling the number of waves hitting at the windshield (mic placement). Hence +3db.

As for anything else, 60 hit one thing dead on. SPL competitors are a crazy breed of talented people. I was in that crowd for a number of years and it is amazing the things one will come up with to get .1 more db out of a car they have been working on for years. It is like Drag racing in a very real sense. Once you get a fast car it gets exponentially harder to go faster. Same goes for loud.

Fast cars are fun to drive, but hard to race. That's why people get sponsors. Loud cars are fun to listen to, but hard to win with. Again money makes a big difference, but talent, crazy amounts of work and long hours pay off. If you want both sound quality and loud, hang up competing and learn to enjoy your music.

It took me over a decade to realize I just wasn't dedicated enough to win anymore. I may have gotten too old for all those long nights and hot weekends. Now I like to listen and hear. If you haven't done so, take the chance to listen to some really awesome SQ cars and even better a truly good sounding home stereo. It will sink in and become what you want to hear all the time. I know my recent listening to some  various good home speakers opened my eyes.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print