04/26/24 at 10:30:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
booming 12" WO (Read 9312 times)
bnew63
Ex Member

booming 12" WO
02/06/07 at 20:50:03

Refresh my memory(or lack there of),if the sub has a boomy sound to it do I reduce the size of the compression chamber?
I built a 12" version of a WO and having biult two others(an 8 & 6" version)this one seems quite boomy compared to the others.
Any suggestions

Thanks Brian

IP Logged
JRock
Ex Member

Re: booming 12" WO
Reply #1 - 02/06/07 at 21:04:19

Boomy is a result of a larger compresion chamber or a small sealed chamber.  Try reduceing the volume of the compression chamber- if it doesn't work, its the Sealed section.

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/07 at 00:07:08

Thanks Jrock

could I use sand bags in the compression chamber to remove volume?This would be a temporary experiment to find the right volume needed.
I hope its not the sealed chamber,it would be more difficult to expand.I could turn the driver around,but I think I would open up a whole new can of worms.

Brian

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/07/07 at 02:06:55

I don't see why turning the driver around would be a problem. this would serve a dual purpose.
I would also try some sandbags to the CC.
if it works you may want to move the driver closer into the CC if your changes work.
the things heavy enough why keep a sand bag in it.

PS A 12" WO is always cool

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/07 at 03:05:27

Gex
The sand bags would only be temporary to calculate how much I need to decrease the CC.
I cheaped out and made this one from MDF so it's heavy.
Getting the 12" drivers to fit was a squeeze so I'm hoping I won't have to move them

Brian

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/07 at 03:57:23

[quote author=bnew63  link=1170798603/0#4 date=1170817527]Gex
The sand bags would only be temporary to calculate how much I need to decrease the CC.
I cheaped out and made this one from MDF so it's heavy.
Getting the 12" drivers to fit was a squeeze so I'm hoping I won't have to move them

Brian [/quote]

Ya I know, It was a rather stupid thing to say on my part.
Did you ever calculate the sealed area for that sub before you built? or just build it to Steves specs except for the height of course.
I see why you are reluctant to move them.
are you going to flip them around?
I had used insulation foam to take up space once. lined the CC with blue stryo. Even with styro/wood glue I felt that it may rattle loose after time.
Vibration and the glue hardens and becomes brittle and it falls off. It was  a Temp thing only.

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/07/07 at 15:34:42

Gex
I built it to Steve's specs with added width.I can't remember how much wider I made it as I made it over a year ago and just getting around to tweeking it.
Good idea on the styro,I think that's what I'll use.A good grade silicon should take the vibration and hold it in place.

Brian

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/08/07 at 03:17:06

Good Idea
silicon will stay flexible. It can be a bad word around here although It never been an issue with me.
"The dreaded foam surround decay syndrome"

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/21/07 at 15:37:26

Do not adjust the baffle further back in the chamber to reduce its size as a short cut, or you will increase the Q of the box to well over 1.0 (boom boom)

^ quoted from the plans.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/21/07 at 15:39:00

When selecting woofers for this enclosure, you can model a regular 4th order single reflex box to determine the rear (sealed) chamber. If it wants less air space than you have already built (gee you made the box first?) simple add bracing to the sealed chamber until its internal volume matches the requirement of your woofer. Do not adjust the baffle further back in the chamber to reduce its size as a short cut, or you will increase the Q of the box to well over 1.0 (boom boom)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print