Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:14:10 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CORNER HORN PROJECT X4 pics (Read 50524 times)
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Re: CORNER HORN PROJECT X4 pics
Reply #50 - 02/18/07 at 02:09:31

DaveCan wrote on 02/18/07 at 01:56:41:
Cool Kwad and welcome...  I bet he's stuck in the zone between the horns totally in the grips of their power with no ambition to get on the forums and I don't blame him in the least Grin
                                              Dave Smiley

I do believe that is where I would be found were I the one with four of these beauties!

From what I hear there is nothing like them in the world to listen to.

I looked at floorplans with the wife this morning. I am constantly looking for a floorplan with a room that these things will work in. Does that make me crazy?

I will build a pair one day even if my room isn't right for them. I just like this design too much to pass it up, lol

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 02/18/07 at 03:18:11

musgofasa wrote:
[I looked at floorplans with the wife this morning. I am constantly looking for a floorplan with a room that these things will work in. Does that make me crazy?

In my book it would make you way way above the average home buyer by leaps and bounds!!!.  

I'm totally with you on the room and these horns, it would be awesome to have the space to do them proud. I'd sure need to get the skills real quick as I had enough of a job building my BIB's and those were easy compared to trying to make Steve's horns. I have great respect for the wood working ability that Andy seems to have going on here, great job.....    Dave Smiley

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 02/18/07 at 05:09:57

musgofasa wrote on 02/18/07 at 02:09:31:
I do believe that is where I would be found were I the one with four of these beauties!

From what I hear there is nothing like them in the world to listen to.

I looked at floorplans with the wife this morning. I am constantly looking for a floorplan with a room that these things will work in. Does that make me crazy?

I will build a pair one day even if my room isn't right for them. I just like this design too much to pass it up, lol

Take care,
Robert

Then that would make me completely insane , after all I am thinking about building a big shed for these things because they have no place in the house. They are a wonderful build

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 02/18/07 at 08:45:40

Well I bought the plans today, wonder how my alnico magnavox 6.5" drivers would go in these.

Mr C

IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 02/18/07 at 15:11:30

Mr Content wrote on 02/18/07 at 08:45:40:
Well I bought the plans today, wonder how my alnico magnavox 6.5" drivers would go in these.

Mr C

Great! bring a pair when you visit!  ;)

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #55 - 02/18/07 at 18:36:13

At last your time has come, humble forum visitors and admirers

ive been listening to them for a good 3 weeks to a month now many hrs , just to do a detailed report
that and well maybe me being in my room after work , hasn't brought me to the computer so often latly

i found out 2 days ago my username was canceled

oh and yes ive got lots pics just need to post them after i write this big blurb

my first set  was with the fostex fe167 drivers

my second was with aurum cantus's Ac165  driver with a low fs, of 32 hz ,and a HIVi rtc1a planer tweeter as to steves recommendations

my original thought was to make 4 identical  horns, but seemed redundant when there are so many drvers out there to experiment with

My other intention was to use than in a high end home theater setup, but obviously didnt work because i have a pocket door in one of the corners of the room.

i later on suggested to my landlord to take out the back wall and make an alcove, which leads into my bedroom, and close off the pocket door for a new placement of the other 2 horns which gives me a full 4.1 (housewrecker) home theater and with a switch be 2 channel that i could enjoy even in my bedroom
but sadly was denied

2 weeks ago i bought some 1/2" thick ceiling tiles from home depot, the ones with comopressed fiberglass and a white film. i peeled off the white film and put 2 together, then covered them with a bed sheet
i made 3 of them

then last week i took another trip to home depot because i still had a nasty echo when i clap in the center of the room. so i bought a bag of SAFE'n SOUND Ruxul, i cut them in 24" squares to fill the top corner on top of the stacked horns.
this made a big improvement in my bass response around the center of the room

then i wrapped the remaining ruxul insulation batts (24x48x3") with another old bed sheet put 1 each along the side walls with a pair of the 1" thick rigid fiblerglass on top.
this was the best configuration i came up with so far
If ya see any problems in the pics or suggestion on improving my room, im all ears

yes diffusars are coming soon, just rounding up the cash before i make the call to robert bury  for 15 sheets of 1/8" and another sheet or 2 of mdf

far as construction conclusions go,.....yes they will take alot dedication
ive now put over 110 hrs into the 4 of them

i think my biggest headache was using waterbase paint, a big NO NO in my books from now on. i thought i would try water base because i had never done a finish quite like it so..thought id give it a try. Laquer is to easy and well oil base even simpler

because using waterbase it does tend swell the mdf in some places, Especially on the joints of panels  D-H and K-F  this joint is one that comes to a very thin feather edge ,and it raised up on me all the time....big pain in the neck, so my suggestion is to use ALOT of glue for these particular parts

and yes of course use a oil base paint with a nice topcoat

for my baffles i put on 3 coats of normal tremclad rust paint
worked out to be a very hard finish and high gloss gives it a nice touch
color was called wild raspberry, very nice

well i think ive done enough rambling for one day, and im still hungover from last night

ohh in the pics is a wicked one holding up my lcd, and my dvds
it is for sale so make me an offer
i built it was when i was 16 ..wow that was more then 6 years ago.

well ill get on those pics shorty

cheers everyone

Andy

wild_6_99   IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #56 - 02/18/07 at 18:50:52

wild_6_99   IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 02/18/07 at 19:12:48

I am not worthy!!!!

Man that some excellent work. Thanks for sharing that with us.

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 02/18/07 at 19:20:19

Looking good Andy, and it's great to see someone your age with the skills and interest to build something like these. Most guys your age atleast around here are all about big bass in their cars and how loud they can get etc.  My glass is raised in your honour Grin,,well actually it's early so it's a cup of green tea but the intention is the same..   Good on ya!!!          Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #59 - 02/18/07 at 21:29:30

Send me those 167E's and I'll modify them for you free of charge just because you were the first to have the balls to actually build them!  You'll be shocked at the difference the mods will make.  Besides a perfect smooth midrange, extended treble, the bass simply pounds without ever getting out of control like it does with the stock driver.

One thing you could do in lieu of an alcove is build a pair of sealed boxes between 16 and 32 inches in depth and from floor to ceiling.  

Places each box in the corners where the horns are now and place the horns in front of each box.  

You could make the width of the boxes as narrow as 24 inches but I would probably shoot for around 30 or 32 inches.  

The boxes should be stuffed with insulation to make them into bass traps. Ideally, you should use 3/4 inch MDF and in lieu of insulation use layers of 2 inch thermafiber aka rockwool or owens corning 705 separated by a 1 inch air space. (bubble wrap can create this air space) Here is a cutaway view of what I'm talking about - albeit in a different shape.

This is a good alternative to an alcove.  The space on the wall between the boxes can then be diffused, or at least covered with a heavy hanging rug.  The rug should be spaced out from the wall between 1 and 3 inches.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #60 - 02/18/07 at 21:35:48

Another couple tips that came to mind.

You will want to stuff the hollow sections under the wings with fiberglass or expanded foam to eliminate that air space in the cavity.  This makes a huge improvement in the tightness of the bass.

Find some foam weather stripping and make a gasket so you get an air tight seal between the horns and walls.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #61 - 02/18/07 at 23:46:26

wild_6_99   IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #62 - 02/18/07 at 23:58:49

i have yet to add the gasket
good eye steve

just need to get a few freinds over to help me move them

very kind offer steve, ill consider parting with the drivers after a little while...still love listening to them hahaha

calling it "the great wall of sound"

for those who have listened so far love it

but for those in ontario email me and maybe u can have a listen too

wild_6_99   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #63 - 02/19/07 at 00:39:36

oh man!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just turned green with envy my friend. Not only do you have 4 of these monsters (in the configuration I was wondering about, you have Steve offering suggestions on your room and even to modify your drivers for free!!!!!!

I am so jealous I could spit!

Makes me want to buy a ticket to Canada!

Your work is excellent. I can only imagine the difficulty rating on this project. I believe I have the skills, although not the tools just yet, but I have no doubt that one way or another a pair or two of these will be in my future. My question right now is which set sounds better currently? The AC with the tweeters or the Fostex full range? I really want to know the comparison when the drivers are modified..

By the way Steve,

How much would a set of those moded drivers run me if I decided to get them first? (and maybe work on breaking them in a bit before I got the horns built?

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
G
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 02/19/07 at 00:53:22

Oh My Goodness
totally sweeeeet
great job and you are my hero and with balls yet!

Steve I have balls but I would not if I build them and leave my balls out this.
I remember when I built the little speakers I have and the months of discontent and punishment I endured to just have them in a place where I could listen to them.

G

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 02/24/07 at 02:08:31

wild_6_99 wrote on 02/18/07 at 18:36:13:
...far as construction conclusions go,.....yes they will take alot dedication
ive now put over 110 hrs into the 4 of them

I can't believe I was even dreaming of building these. Way beyond my skill level.

If you treat your room properly with some bass traps and diffusors you should be blown away by those world class speakers you just built yourself there sir.

Corey

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 02/24/07 at 03:45:25

wild_6_99 wrote on 02/18/07 at 18:36:13:
then last week i took another trip to home depot because i still had a nasty echo when i clap in the center of the room. so i bought a bag of SAFE'n SOUND Ruxul, i cut them in 24" squares to fill the top corner on top of the stacked horns.
this made a big improvement in my bass response around the center of the room
then i wrapped the remaining ruxul insulation batts (24x48x3") with another old bed sheet put 1 each along the side walls with a pair of the 1" thick rigid fiblerglass on top.
this was the best configuration i came up with so far
If ya see any problems in the pics or suggestion on improving my room, im all ears
yes diffusars are coming soon, just rounding up the cash before i make the call to robert bury  for 15 sheets of 1/8" and another sheet or 2 of mdf

Insulation wrapped in bed sheets.  
Sounds like a great idea for quick, easy to build bass traps!  

Is that working out well?  
I was dissapointed, went in a different direction.  
Maybe I just need more insulation/bass traps.  
I only used 6 rolls of fiberglass, and havent built diffusers yet.  
(And only 2 corner horns).  
Robert

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #67 - 03/01/07 at 13:05:30

robert the bass traps were prety simple to make...$35 canadian for a bag of 8 batts of ruxul 3" thick....and the ceiling tiles were $30 for the six...they made a huge difference in the echo of the room when places high up along the walls

ya a bed sheet set was mere  $15 from wallmart

i may be moving soon so a 4 cornered room is a  must and hey maybe even get the alcove.....going apartment hunting in a couple  weeks

and of course deaf nieghbours would be a good thing...lol

the 2 way combo i have in the 2nd pair of horns....sounds very good...the extended treble is great and clean

there are a few dips in the midbass tho....maybe 60-150 hz
i dont have proper equipment to test it , but should have a db meter soon, ill get back to yas how i intend to fix it.....prob insulation..but we'll see

cheers

Andy

wild_6_99   IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/01/07 at 15:28:31

Hey Andy, did you seal all the gaps from the horn to the wall yet? It is suppose to be very important to do so, also are you going to take Steve up on his offer to mod the drivers?  

You've done such a fine job on those horns it would seem that the two items i've mentioned are a must to do them up 100%...
 Dave Smiley

IP Logged
wild_6_99
Verified Member

Corner horns X 4=
awesome

Reply #69 - 03/04/07 at 18:20:54

im gonna see if i can get ahold of steve tomorrow, find out shipping costs and details about the drivers,

as for sealing against the wall.....they are real heavy and well moving them...will be complicated....i also will be moving into the city in the next month or 2 ...back to ottawa.....hopfully find a nice  room so they can permanently have a home .....and while i have them down ill add the gasket and foam up the wing chambers

but till then....its happy listening

ohh by the way...im looking into building a amp dvd player rack/stand of some kind (gonna use the left over mdf from the horns) .....if anyone has any challenging designs, plz post them

im always trying to test my skills

cheers
Andy

wild_6_99   IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 03/04/07 at 19:43:11

Andy....again I say thanks for sharing this endeavor with us. It has bee a real treat wathching this project of yours and I am sure it will continute to be. Good luck with the move and make sure we see pictures of the next home for those abosulutely stunning speakers.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 03/29/07 at 15:39:19

very nice work,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print