Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 17:11:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will 12" drivers for IB be OK in WO? (Read 7814 times)
RandyP
Ex Member

Will 12" drivers for IB be OK in WO?
09/25/06 at 17:55:11

Hi everyone,

Will 12" drivers with a large XMAX/ high Q, designed for infinite baffle/OB use be OK in  a Wicked ONE cabinet, NOT the WO32? Dimensions would be 36" X 36" with 14" panels as stated in the plans...  :-*

-Randy

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: Will 12" drivers for IB be OK in WO?
Reply #1 - 09/25/06 at 18:13:15

High XMAX subs tend to be one notish in the WO, but they can produce some awesome lows.
Depends on the intended use. HT, Car, SQ?
The enclosure is really forgiving though and will sound decent with almost anything in it IMHO.

What subs are you going to use?

Robert

IP Logged
RandyP
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/06 at 22:29:34

Hi Robert,

I have a pair of Infinite Baffle/ dipole use intended Emminence drivers. I do not have the specific model number, these were special one-off deals from Emminence intended for infinite baffle use. I picked them up from a friend who tried them, but it did not work for his intended purpose. I do not have the specific driver parameters, nor can my friend remember them.
    I do know they were fairly inexpensive at $25/woofer on Ebay. I am using four of them on an open baffle along with Hammer Dynamics 12" full-range drivers and super-tweeters for my home theater/music system. I will be using the WICKED ONE for sound quality/home theater/music.
-Randy

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/26/06 at 00:01:08

High q drivers usually want big boxes.  The enclosure size of the wo is fixed in the max enclosure size of 36x36.  This size is matched very well to drivers that are comfortable in a regular sized box in any other alignment (sealed, ported).  If you put a high q driver in a box that was designed for lower q drivers the low bass will suffer.  I would think mid q drivers would be much more comfortable in a wo.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/26/06 at 12:05:06

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1159206911/0#1 date=1159204395]High XMAX subs tend to be one notish in the WO, but they can produce some awesome lows.
Depends on the intended use. HT, Car, SQ?
The enclosure is really forgiving though and will sound decent with almost anything in it IMHO.

What subs are you going to use?

Robert [/quote]
why would high xmax subs sound one-notish in the wo ?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/06 at 12:49:21

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1159206911/0#4 date=1159268706]
why would high xmax subs sound one-notish in the wo ? [/quote]

I remember when we were building these for car use, the heavier subs with high x-max tended to be boomy and produced big bass in the 45 hz range, but they weren't as musical as the shorter x-max drivers we used. No science there, just observation. Not sure if it might have been the drivers or the general tendancy of the enclosure.

Certainly not saying "don't try it" just remembering what happened with the ones I tried it with.

Examples: We used the pioneer silver "diamond plate" woofers in one and it was pretty solid to listen to, but not very loud. We took the same box and exchanged the drivers for Rockford, HX2s and got a lot louder at the expense of range. When we went to an MA audio sub with huge Xmax, it got even louder, but sounded like an SPL "Burpp" machine lol.

Again, no science there, It could've been as simple as the test tones vs music playing, vs poor quality construction of the speakers in question.

Remember, we were trying to get high number SPL in cars out of the box at the time so it may interact completely different in a larger space like a room. I do remember the small WO sounding cleaner in a large vehicle like an excursion or a van even with the heavier drivers.

Food for thought

Robert

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/26/06 at 13:49:21

I would not use IB drivers in a WO.
If I had to use them in a box it would be big ported box or use them as they were intended although small for some HT.
I am with the posts above

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/26/06 at 16:43:12

[quote author=RandyP  link=1159206911/0#2 date=1159219774]Hi Robert,

I have a pair of Infinite Baffle/ dipole use intended Emminence drivers. I do not have the specific model number, these were special one-off deals from Emminence intended for infinite baffle use. I picked them up from a friend who tried them, but it did not work for his intended purpose. I do not have the specific driver parameters, nor can my friend remember them.
    I do know they were fairly inexpensive at $25/woofer on Ebay. I am using four of them on an open baffle along with Hammer Dynamics 12" full-range drivers and super-tweeters for my home theater/music system. I will be using the WICKED ONE for sound quality/home theater/music.
-Randy [/quote]

I really haven't had experience with the Eminence subs, but if they are the ones from PE that I saw recently, I would think they would sound decent in the WO, although if SQ is your thing, I would think there are better enclosures for that purpose. With the subs being of question T/S I would be at a loss unless you went with something big and ported or an OB of some kind. I wouldn't be much help there due to LOE (Lack of experience) lol.
But either way, considering the intended use and the driver in question, I would probably say the WO isn't the BEST choice here. Seems to be a consensus, now the question is what to do with them. Hmmmmmmm
I am getting closer and closer to being a real TL fan so keep us posted on what becomes of these things!

Robert

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/26/06 at 18:10:52

if it's meant for ib use i guess it 'could' work in a big sealed box. but i don't think the size of the wo would be enough.
the xmax thing got me curious. too bad i only have one rl-i10. otherwise i would have tried the wo in a heartbeat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print